Posted in music | tour dates on April 16, 2010

"One of the best pavement concerts ever... At the fox in pomona... 30 songs u missed it..." - SANDY EGGO

"2 encores, ALL of Slanted (pretty much), and new lyrics to The Hexx." - Karina Longworth

"Sorry Coachella. Pavement played a gazillion songs for the lifers at Fox Theater." - Scott McDonald

"Holy shit I just saw Pavement." - Brian

Pavement & The Middle East at the Fox in Pomona - 4/15/2010 (tperkins67)
Pavement

"We were responsible for creating the whole suburban Williamsburg thing," Malkmus says. "You know, the Strokes to Arcade Fire." Translation: Pavement taught the indie-rock underground to love itself without sacrificing the ambivalence and irony and smarts that made it what it was. "We were skeptical of record company guys with ponytails," he adds. "The great '80s bands, the Replacements and Hüsker Dü, tried to change their sound to be on major labels; the records they made weren't terrible, but they'd lost something. We didn't want to do that." [SPIN]
Pavement played their first US reunion show, a warm up for Coachella and then some, last night in Pomona. Pavement, along with Sonic Youth and one band Mark Ibold isn't in, No Age, will return to California to share a bill at Hollywood Bowl on September 30th. Tickets for what appears to be the final show of the reunion tour go on sale Sunday, 5/2, at 10am PDT. Sunday is also the day that the band play their set at Coachella.

The full Pomona setlist and all dates below...

(via)
Tue 21 New York, NY Rumsey Playfield/Central Park
Wed 22 New York, NY Rumsey Playfield/Central Park
Thu 23 New York, NY Rumsey Playfield/Central Park
Fri 24 New York, NY Rumsey Playfield/Central Park
Sun 26 Atlanta, GA The Tabernacle
Thu 30 Hollywood, CA Hollywood Bowl

Looks like a great show. Interestingly, tickets for the London shows are already selling for less than £10 on Ebay (far less than half face) and there's still a month or so to go before the gig. I wonder if similar things will happen with the Rumsey Playfield shows.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 4:31 AM

fucking amazing show.
so glad they added this.

Posted by dusty bottoms | April 16, 2010 4:44 AM

i may be wrong about this, but my friend from london once told me people selling tickets on ebay to shows there are mad shady/scamsters and that it's not really a viable way of purchasing tickets in that town, hence sometimes crazy cheap prices. this was coming from a kid who knows london very well but isn't a regular concertgoer, so i'm not sure, but i am pretty certain you're not getting summerstage tickets for less than $20.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 4:58 AM

Summerstage is free.....if you hang around outside. Still can hear perfectly...Game plan scout out area for someone dumping tickets..if I don't get a deal stay outside and listen...win win!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 7:15 AM

I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY, I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY, I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY, I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY, I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY, I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY, I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY, I'M TRYIN' AND I'LL TRY

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 7:26 AM

Nah, Ebay in London is just like Ebay in the US, it's generally fine. There are hundreds of Pavement tickets floating around though and they are going to be $5 by the time the shows happen. (In London, I mean - who knows about the Central Park shows).

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 7:30 AM

brilliant show. but i don't believe stop breathing and in the mouth of a desert were played.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 7:41 AM

does anyone give a shiet

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 8:50 AM

great looking setlists...'starlings' and 'loretta's scars' esp. looking forward to this!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 9:21 AM

no band pics?

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 9:28 AM

paveMEHnt

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 9:30 AM

GET OFF THE STAGE DAD

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 9:42 AM

i didn't know the strokes and the arcade fire were from williamsburg!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 9:55 AM

I didn't know Terror Twilight and Brighten The Corners weren't terrible

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 9:58 AM

i wanna punch you tweeting little fags

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 10:07 AM

yawn

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 10:08 AM

10:08 just getting out of bed now! Have some coffee, wake up already you lazy bum!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 10:33 AM

"Holy shit I just saw Pavement."

Um, what's the big deal? They toured all the time in the '90s. It's not like it was hard to see them. The only show they played that was hard to get tickets for (in NYC) was the Matador 10th anniversary party.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 10:37 AM

maybe a lot of people are too young to have seen them in the 90s, asshole. no need to be a jaded douche, let people be excited about a concert.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 10:58 AM

Justin Bieber was 5 when Pavement broke up!

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 11:11 AM

"maybe a lot of people are too young to have seen them in the 90s"

Why would someone get all excited for a band they were too young to listen to the first time around? We are not talking about the Beatles here. Besides, they were never that great live. Decent, but not great.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 11:17 AM

Anon 11:17, why are you filled with so much hate? Did your mom not love you?

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 11:30 AM

Starlings in the slipstream! Give it a day! Still'd like to see a few more spiral songs but that setlist is amazing

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 11:38 AM

They did play In the Mouth of a Desert but definitely not Stop Breathing.

I was very excited to see them since I got into them a year too late and it meant waiting 10 years to see them live.

Posted by graciela | April 16, 2010 12:16 PM

They did not play Stop Breathing :(

But it was an awesome show. Two hours and I still couldn't get enough of them.

Posted by Josephine | April 16, 2010 2:21 PM

people care more about saying they saw Pavement then seeing Pavement

taking photos to prove they were there

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 3:34 PM

Re: half the comments on this page

I thought being a jaded hipster was passe. I have been a Pavement fan for 15 years, but I never got a chance to see them in the nineties. I was fucking thrilled to see them last night, and they put on an excellent show. Knowing their reputation for being an "okay" live band, and having seen some pretty lackluster performances on youtube, I wasn't expecting that much. They fucking rocked, though, especially when playing songs from "Slanted". I am glad that I never got too cool to have fun, 'cause that must really suck.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 7:09 PM

fully agree with Anon 7:09 - i did see them once in the '90's, and it was just what a lot of critics said - "it was okay." since then, their musicianship has gotten better, but they still know the songs in and out, letting 'em play around with em with expertise - which equals a MUCH better show than what i remember in 1994. hell, 2 hours, 30 songs... that right there should satisfy any Pavement fan.

Posted by kenneth thomas | April 16, 2010 9:18 PM