Posted in music on April 15, 2010

Peter Steele

No official statement has been issued, and Pete is known for faking his own death, but Blabbermouth points out that...

Mistress Juliya of Fuse TV wrote on her Twitter page earlier tonight that she spoke to TYPE O NEGATIVE guitarist Kenny Hickey just before midnight New York time, and that Kenny confirmed that the rumors were true.

Revolver magazine's editor-in-chief Brandon Geist also posted on Twitter that he has heard reports of Steele's passing. "Hoping [the rumors] are not true, but the source is good," he wrote.

The rumor is that it was heart failure. Hopefully it's not true.

UPDATES: Type O keyboardist Josh Silver confirms the news to Blabbmermouth. Type O Negative's official website says to "expect statements from the band and family later today"

UPDATE:
Official statements have been released.

Life of Agony's Alan Robert, tweeted that he "Woke up to the news that Pete Steele died. Horrible. Seemed like he was finally getting himself together, too. It's a real shame. RIP brotha", and that "It's a sad, sad day. Damn."

RIP Pete! A selection of videos (that I'm sure Pete would approve of), now slightly updated too, below....

Evan Seinfield just confirmed it on his twitter so sdaly its true.
RIP

Posted by carla | April 15, 2010 2:07 AM

This really really sucks. :(

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 2:14 AM

R.I.P TO A FUCKIN MUSICAL & CREATIVE GENIUS
CARNIVORE RULED TYPE O NEGATIVE RULED
ON BEHALF OF BLACK ANVIL CONDOLENCES TO
HIS FAMILY...
YOU WILL BE GREATLY MISSED
FEW CAN TOUCH THE SPIRIT AND HONESTY U DIVULGED

Posted by RAEPH BLACK ANVIL | April 15, 2010 2:43 AM

Why couldn't you post any videos other than songs involving death in the title, how about something idk ... more mellodic, if this horrible rumor is unfortunately is true, we should celebrate his amaizing and memorable life. I love You Pete, beyond everything.

Posted by ashleigh | April 15, 2010 3:46 AM

^Because Type O has always had a very dark sense of humor and misanthropic outlook on the world/life?

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 5:30 AM

Then make everyone happy and post the video for the "Summer Breeze" song that Type O Negative did for "I Know What You Did Last Summer".

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | April 15, 2010 6:31 AM

Type O Mehgetive

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 7:23 AM

Absolutley loved WORLD COMING DOWN.

Everyone I love is dead.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 8:20 AM

I posted this late last night. This morning Josh Silver confirmed it. Rest in Peace Pete.

Posted by Brooklynvegan | April 15, 2010 9:02 AM

FUCK

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 9:05 AM

bummer... i hadn't kept up with the music of type o negative since the late 90s, but would always still watch/read any peter steel interview i came across, as the man had one the best and darkest senses of humor.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 9:14 AM

April 15, 2010 7:23 AM : You're worthless.

As for Pete, thanks for the great music. Rest in Peace.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 9:21 AM

Your voice is heard in this house every day, and will always continue to be heard. Your next journey has begun, but you will be missed so much.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 10:03 AM

April 15, 2010 7:23 AM: thanks for the laugh!

April 15, 2010 9:21 AM: people die every day.

for reason much sadder than some self indulgent "rock star"

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 10:10 AM

i feel like a huge piece of me is now gone. . . forever. I will forever be saddened by the news of Pete passing. I'm listening to "Die with Me". A Piece of me died with him. I am sure a piece of every single one of his fans died with him yesterday. This is a truly sad day. I shall wear black and listen to his wonderful voice all day, in remembrance of him, a way of mourning. His lyrics have helped me through so much in my life. He helped me find me. I am who I am partly because of Peter Steele.

RIP Pete! Gone but not forgotten!
Your beloved fan Madam Mystique Black

Posted by MadamMystique | April 15, 2010 10:15 AM

anon 10:10- if 7:23 made you laugh, then you are even stupider than you sound.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 10:58 AM

everything dies. rip.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 11:17 AM

I am so not OK with this...Carnivore/Fallout/Type-O..
R.I.P Pete Steele

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 12:28 PM

RIP Pete. I wasn't the biggest Type-O fan but I respected the dude for not taking himself too seriously. Sad news :(

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 1:11 PM

This is really sad. You will be missed Pete. I tossed on "I Don't Wanna Be Me" today out of the blue and then I read this. Thanks for all the great music - from one of the original "Brooklyn Bands"

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 1:32 PM

Very sad news, RIP.

While the music was awesome, what I will remember most about Mr. Steele and Type O Negative was their decision to always bring weight training equipment on tour.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 1:33 PM

DAMN! Truly a loss to us all. I will always remember the first time I heard them and thanks for all the great music over the years!

Posted by Danny Rambo | April 15, 2010 1:49 PM

I'm really hurt by this one.... a true BROOKLYN LEGEND has been lost today. Despite what you may hear, if you hear anything(I'm looking at you Rolling Stone Magazine!), Peter Steele is not only notable for his inimitable sardnoic wit, nor only for posing in Playgirl Magazine. A brilliant composer with a unique voice, both sonically and... substantively, Pete's transition from the band Carnivore to Type O Negative circa 1990 gave Hardcore Punk a pop sensibility that was unprecedented. As a father figure to so many Brooklyn bands in the NYHC scene, he established Brooklyn as viable contender to the Lower Eastside Crew; Lamours became a ferocious(and far less trendy) counterpoint to CBGBs because of contributions like his. RIP Peter Steele, a big chunk of the teenager in me died with you today...

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 1:56 PM

Words cannot express how much you will be missed, Peter. An unmistakable voice, unmatched sarcastic sense of humor and amazing musical skills. I cried when I heard the news this morning. Thank you for rocking us for so many years with your amazing music. It's so surreal - I cannot believe I won't be seeing you on stage ever again.... no more toilet paper fights.... no more sweaty swaying crowds of complete strangers belting out "loving you was like loving the dead" together.... a piece of me died with you. I will never forget you, your amazing stage presence... and the countless live shows I attended sporting fangs. Rock on, love. \m/

Posted by Cindy | April 15, 2010 3:55 PM

fuck this sucks! RIP

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 4:09 PM

I just can't even believe it. I am at a total loss for words. :(

Posted by DoommakeR | April 15, 2010 4:51 PM

Not good! not good at all! Many fans lives will change...

Posted by NailAnvil | April 15, 2010 5:54 PM

Peter Steele will always have a part of my soul and I feel as if a part of me has died with him. The heart has its reasons that reason knows nothing of. Vous Deu Garde... My sympathy to his family, band, friends, and fans. Although I never knew him I loved him, he has now foung the peace that eluded him in life...My soul will never be the same and I am saddened to live in a world where he no longer exsists. RIP PETER...

Posted by Pamela | April 16, 2010 12:08 AM

April 15, 2010 10:10 AM:
Yes, people do die every day. And apparently cunts, such as yourself, who feel that mocking said deaths is "edgy", post on boards as well. You're aren't fatalistic. You're a dick.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 12:08 PM

Ah Peter... what fond memories you leave me, and many others, with. I'll still enjoy every bit of the music brought to us through his various endevours. So very unfortunate to lose him so soon.

Posted by Mykal | April 16, 2010 1:08 PM

SO WEIRD THAT I WAS JUST LISTENING TO THE WORLD WARS III & IV DEMO THE OTHER DAY.

FIRST SAW CARNIVORE AT L'AMOURS BACK IN THE 80'S BEFORE "RETALIATION" WAS OUT. THEY WERE ALWAYS A SICK AND UNIQUE BAND.

BY THE TIME "NEGATIVE NIGHT" HAPPENED, CARNIVORE WAS ONE OF 2 BANDS (ASIDE FROM SLAYER) THAT ATTRACTED THE MOST VIOLENCE I HAVE EVER WITNESSED *OUTSIDE* THE VENUE HAHA

THEY BROUGHT OUT A MOTLEY MIX OF SKINS AND PUNKS AND METALHEADS, AND EVERYONE DIDN'T ALWAYS GET ALONG (SHOCKER!)

BUT THE BEST THING ABOUT CARNIVORE WAS PETE'S IRREVERENT HUMOR. HANDS DOWN, THAT SET HIM APART FROM EVERY OTHER BAND ON THE PLANET, AND I WAS KINDA PROUD HE WAS A FELLOW BROOKLYNITE.

I MET HIM A FEW TIMES OVER THE YEARS, HE WAS ALWAYS REALLY COOL TO ME AND I KNOW HE WOULD HAVE GOT A BIG CHUCKLE AT THE NEW DARKSIDE NYC TRACK THAT MENTIONS CARNIVORE IN A VERSE. DAMN, I WAS REALLY LOOKING FORWARD TO SENDING THAT TO HIM. FUCK!

Posted by CRACKA | April 16, 2010 2:13 PM

Pete lived around where I used to go to High School here in Brooklyn. I used to see him around the neighborhood at least once a week. Driving around in his huge hummer, stopping in at Pete's pizza shop and talking to us kids(lot's of metal heads at Edward R. Murrow hs back then) This is what sets Pete, Type-O and other such artists and bands in the Brooklyn metal scene apart from the hipster "Brooklyn scene" these days. They felt like part of the neighborhood, and the fabric of the borough where as the hipsters are just playing house with mommy and daddy's cash. they bought an expensive condo so they can say they'r from Brooklyn which always used to get me scoffed at. Now people ask me which part of Williamsburg I live in. No thanks, I've lived here my whole life.

RIP Pete! Part of Brooklyn now and forever!

Posted by Anonymous | April 17, 2010 1:06 AM

r.i.p peter , thank you for all the years . thank you for all the days and nights of alcohol fueled emothions that went along with the music ... i dont even know what to say .. other rhan i love the music , that i love you guys , and that i cant believe this is true but it is .. well be at peace , your life will live on through all of us

Posted by gary | April 17, 2010 7:26 AM

I still dont wanna believe he's dead back in my mind I'm waiting for him to come out N say Ha fooled ya get ready for the new album. IDK hope their just fuck with us like N '05. It seems to sad to b true..DAMNIT Rip..

Posted by Zombie138 | April 19, 2010 1:05 AM

An Interview with Peter Steele of Type O Negative
By Charlie Steffens, aka Gnarly Charlie:

ON FAITH

“After my mother passed away last year and a couple of other things happened, I pretty much got back to my faith. I was born Roman Catholic. Believe it or not, I go tot church on Sunday and I do read the Bible. But I don’t read it as a how to live your life book. I read it as if I have a question I can open any page. If you’re open minded you will get the answer from a passage. And you will get a different answer if you read the same passage but it will still be just as worthy. “

“I went to confession for the first time in 30 years. And the priest was very happy that I had come back to church and stuff. I didn’t go into each and every sin otherwise he would have to take two weeks vacation (laughs). I said ‘Father I did wrong and I want o apologize to God for my behavior and I’m going to try for it to not happen again.’ It’s better to pay in this life then in the afterlife. So he said “well, make a large donation to your favorite charity, which I did. I’m not going to tell you which charity it was or how much, because that really started me thinking about these so-called charitable people. Charity should be anonymous. If you’re going to get a pat on the back for doing…”Oh, you’re such a great guy. You gave five million dollars—even though you have 50 billion—to South Africa. You’re a great fuckin’ guy.” So I donated my money anonymously and when I had reformed Carnivore I had asked the guys to do just one thing for me. And that was to make a donation anonymously. ‘Don’t tell me, just please, that’s all I’m asking you to do.’ It’s never dome up again and I trust they have. You shouldn’t get a pat on the back for fuckin’ doing the right thing. You should always be doing that. In a great world people would treat each other the way they would like to be treated. My mother always told me if I really didn’t wan to do something, if I was really tired, but if I had helped someone and I really went out of my way for them but I asked nothing for it, that I should donate my energy to the souls in purgatory—meaning that to give my goodness to those who are trapped. This is purgatory/limbo. This is a very Catholic thing that very few people really understand. I just feel that if you always do the right thing in you’re heart, number one, you’re going to get fucked…there’s no doubt. But after death, I think there’s a better place.“

FORGIVENESS AND REDEMPTION

“I’m not radically different, but I am different. I’ve made a lot of mistakes and some of the mistakes I’ve made involve other people. When I get the opportunity I do apologize to them. Sometimes it’s not an easy thing to do and sometimes they don’t accept my apology, which is very painful. I ask why. Sometimes they just don’t want to talk about it. I can accept that, but at least I went. There’s a difference between apologizing and saying you’re sorry. An apology means that you’ve thought about your actions and you think ‘Man, I was a real fuckin’ scumbag. I was an asshole. She didn’t deserve that. He didn’t deserve that. And I just really want to tell her that I’m sorry.’ And I also want to tell her how it’s not going to happen again. I believe that part of being a Christian is forgiveness. I’m not here to preach. I’m here to warn, more or less. Beautifully, once or twice, a couple of the people who did not accept my apology at first have contacted me and said they thought about my actions and they do accept my apology. I was very grateful, and all I can say to them is ‘The only way I can really make this up to you is by not repeating my behavior.’ I’m still human. I still fuck up. I still sometimes instinctively utilize this same shitty behavior. But a true sin is any action that hurts you, someone or something with forethought and malice. I’ve never really gone out of my way to fuck somebody over, to hurt them. There have been times that I was disrespectful and I was irresponsible. I was a dick. We all make mistakes but I’m very happy that I have the opportunity to apologize for mine. I feel that God will not forgive man until man forgives man.”

HEAVEN AND HELL

“Let’s put it this way. I would find it very hard to believe that Adolph Hitler and Mother Teresa are going to the same place. I guess it’s comforting to believe in some sort of justice. My definition of God is attempting to put a face on physics, mathematics, and chemistry that we have yet to understand. That is my God. Something had to create everything. I lie in bed awake at night freaking myself out. Thinking about going somewhere forever, with the clouds, the harps, the angels, the wings. St. Peter had a secret, and.St. Peter one time questioned God. And he had no right to question God, but God allowed him. God said, ‘Alright. What’s the question?’ If you are so merciful…if you know everything, and you create your children that you know are going to wind up in Hell—why would you bother creating them? And the answer was ‘Because Hell does not last forever’. No one goes to Hell forever. It’s like a waiting room, a Godless place. And Peter goes ‘If you know about mans suffering on earth, why do so many horrible things happen to good people?’ And God said, ‘Because I love them so much that I pour pain upon them so that the transition from life to death will be more profound for them and they will appreciate my gift more than the others.’”

ON CHARITY

“God does not like actors. It has to be heartfelt. I shouldn’t tell you this because it’s almost contradicting myself, but one of the examples of doing some sort of charity anonymously is on my block there are quite a few old people. When it snows I shovel their walk and they have no idea who shovels their walk. Now, I’m not looking for a pat on the back, I’m just trying to make an example. One day I’ll be 75 and maybe somebody will do that for me. That would make me cry.“

PROPHECY

“The closer I get back to God, the more temptation comes my way. As psychotic as this might sound, I have pretty much been told that I am the prophet of doom. I know the date of the end of the world. How do I know so? Because, I’ve been told so. Did I hear a voice? No, I did not. But…there are three others like me. We know of each other, but we do not know each other. I know it and I know what’s going to happen and I am to point out the signs. This is the Seventh Seal. At this point, if this last sign is not acknowledged, God will no longer forgive man and then there will be Hell on Earth. Earth is Heaven, already, without the bullshit, and at the very end, the good thing is, that God will even forgive Satan.”

“Ever since I have come back to my faith, such incredibly strange things have been happening. Ten times a day if I ask God for a sign, through numbers and letters I will get it. I believe that God speaks to everyone in a way that only that person can understand, but I have been enlightened…you have to ask to be enlightened. I ask these questions and I get the answers. I don’t hear God’s voice. That satisfies me.”

“When I said I have hit rock bottom, it’s not in a bad way--it’s in a good way. I’ve found piece on something solid and now I know what the meaning of life. I’ve always thought that the meaning of life was to try to find something to live for. Now I realize, all this time, it is finding something to die for. It’s been right there all the time I will die for my faith. I am going to. I know it.”

“When I do interviews and I lie about everything, people think I’m so serious. When I tell the truth they think it’s hysterical. Who’s going to believe you with the things I have said? I believe myself. Print whatever you want. No one will believe it, I’m sure.”

Posted by aga | April 20, 2010 4:59 PM

wow. Mr. Steele was definitely losing his mind.

Posted by Anonymous | April 20, 2010 5:09 PM

When I think of peter Steele and type o negative it brings me back to the days when a band said they where from Brooklyn it was a hometown band actually from Brooklyn.

Posted by Anonymous | April 27, 2010 8:15 PM

thanks aga for the Gnarly Charlie interview. I am touched to read as Steele bares his deepest. This guy really matured and found his way home as a shining beacon of god's love and forgiveness! Here is a highly intelligent man who relates his journey from rebellion to enlightenment and 'prophet of doom". he finds the holy grail of lifeis faith. he is saved!!!
Its all in the bible, if u don't believe Peter, check it for yourself...u must open your mind first, as he suggests...I love that he calls himself a "dick"...
I'd re-title the article, 'from dick to saint"...RIP Peter see u when we get there...

Posted by dixi | June 23, 2010 3:43 AM

Peter Steele will be forever remembered. I had the privelege of meeting him at a show he played with Coal Chamber in Kalamazoo Michigan years ago and I will never forget what a nice guy he was and will remember him every time I look at the dollar bill he signed that said "Oh Amber Lily Munster Aint Got nothin on you Love Peter. That was one of the greatest nights of my life. The night I got to meet and hang out with Peter Steele. Even though I drank out of the same wine bottle as him not knowing that he threw up on stage that night lol He will be missed!

Posted by Amber Green | June 24, 2010 12:34 AM

From one screw up to another. Thank you for helping me see sense.

You won't always be I my heart...but I will think of you from time to time x

Posted by Tk | March 11, 2011 7:46 PM

RIP Peter Steele. I am very sad to know this guy doesn't exist. A good thing is that his music will remain.

Posted by Mike | March 19, 2011 4:40 AM

I didn't expect to get so much value in reading the post, but I very much appreciated the read. I'll surely be dropping in on a regular basis, to see what's new.

Posted by try no no | March 21, 2011 6:38 PM

RIP. You know what they say: we lost a star, but God won a soldier!

Posted by john groupe | July 9, 2011 5:44 AM

Too bad he left us. A lot of good singers died recently....
God must be rising an army of soldiers.

Posted by strongest man | August 7, 2011 1:06 PM

I used to know him well. A hell of a guy, who won't be forgotten easily.

Posted by zona zoster | August 11, 2011 5:00 AM

Während die Musik war super, die meisten werden sich daran erinnern was ich über Herrn Steele und Type O Negative war ihre Entscheidung, bringe immer gewicht ausbildung Ausrüstung auf tour.

Posted by kelty salida | November 12, 2011 7:51 PM

another prophet dead? when will this end?

Posted by john divine | April 3, 2014 6:19 PM