Posted in metal | music on April 15, 2010

"Treat each other the way you'd like to be treated" - Pete Steele

Type O

TYPE O NEGATIVE manager Mike Renault has confirmed to CBS News that the band's frontman, Peter Steele, has died. In an email, Renault said, "Peter passed away last night. As of now it appears to have been heart failure. That's all the details we have right now."

According to unconfirmed reports, Steele had been ill for days leading up to his death.

TYPE O NEGATIVE's web site left a message to their fans this morning around 5:15 a.m. It read, "The forums have been re-opened. Please play nice and expect statements from the band and family later today. Thank you for your understanding and support."

Steele was born Petrus T. Ratajczyk on January 4, 1962 in Brooklyn, New York. He stood 6' 7" (201 cm) tall, and had a low, bass-heavy voice, which was one of the most recognizable features in TYPE O NEGATIVE's music.

Before forming TYPE O NEGATIVE, Steele played for the metal group FALLOUT and the thrash band CARNIVORE. [Blabbermouth]

Type O Negative's final tour ran from October 16, 2009 at Starland Ballroom to Halloween in Detroit, Michigan. The NYC show took place October 22nd at Nokia Theatre (right in the middle of CMJ). Two days after that they played a show at Northern Lights in Clifton Park, New York. That's where HardTimes.Ca caught up with Pete Steele for a revealing video interview that included such topics as Pete's recent sobriety and religion. In it they discuss why Josh Silver wasn't playing keyboards on that particular tour. Pete says, Josh was too busy with his family and working on his "plan b". "He's smart. I wouldn't depend on me 6 months ago either." It ends with the "final words" quoted above. A must watch for any Type O and Carnivore fan - especially in light of today's tragic news. It's below with footage from the show too...

very sad...DEATH IS TOTAL INDEPENDENCE. RIP PETE.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 2:44 PM

who the fuck is this guy and this band

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 2:54 PM

Cheers to an artist who didn't lie when he said he was from Brooklyn. RIP.

Posted by Paul | April 15, 2010 2:56 PM

"who the fuck is this guy and this band"

go back to your Vampire Weekend

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 2:56 PM

Pete was a cool dude and always nice the few times I met him. RIP.
Strange how now TWO members of Carnivore died at an early age. Guitarist Keith Alexander died in a freak bicycling accident as reported here on Brooklyn Vegan 5 years ago...

Posted by Ron | April 15, 2010 3:07 PM

I repeat what Paul 2:56 said

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 3:13 PM

I always thought the bottle of wine was a gimmick.

I couldn't get into everything Type O put out, but they did have a lot of great stuff. Saw them only once at Lamours.

R.I.P.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 3:20 PM

@2:54 - i pity you. not only are you cruel and meanspirited to make a post about a man who just died, but you have and are spending your life missing out on the incredible work of Peter Steele and Type O Negative. And true to the poster above, these guys REALLY were from Brooklyn, they didn't move here two years ago!

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 3:37 PM

fuck you vampire weekend. RIP PETE

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 3:47 PM

In memory of Pete Steele's death, I will now attempt to remember every racist, sexist, misogynist, nationalist, plain offensive and downright ridiculous lyric the man ever wrote.

This is gonna take a while, don't wait up....

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 4:04 PM

I was born in Brooklyn. Lived here all my 30 years. I've hated Type O since their inception. Awful, awful music. Today all the white trash meatheads in my borough are beating their girlfriends twice as hard in Pete's honor.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 4:06 PM

Having your guitar held up by a chain and chugging on a bottle of red wine on stage.

That's how real rockstars do it.

RIP Pete.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 4:06 PM

RIP. you will be missed.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 4:16 PM

Rest in Peace, your spirit will live on

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 4:21 PM

Guitarist/vocalist Mikael Åkerfeldt of Swedish progressive metallers OPETH has released the following statement regarding the passing of TYPE O NEGATIVE frontman Peter Steele:

"Well, I have to say I am shocked by these horrible news....

"Basically, I just want to express my condoleances on behalf of OPETH.

"Peter and company took us out for a little spin in Germany a few years ago and we became mates with 'em, I guess.

"Peter was always very kind to us. From the get-go he went up to [Martin] Mendez [OPETH bassist] and offered him his bass guitar if he wanted to borrow it. I mean, things like that simply don't happen in the rock business anymore, but I think he had a different view on things.

"Last time I saw him was a few years ago when he and Johnny [Kelly, drums] and Kenny [Hickey, guitar] came to see us playing the Irving Plaza in New York City. There was a knock on the door, I opened, and there was Peter towering over me. I said, 'Hey, Pete, come in....' and he said, 'You again, I thought you was fired!' Went straight passed me, grabbed a bottle of red from our rider and started guzzling away in the corner, leaving funny remarks at whatever conversations that was going on in the dressing room.

"The dude was funny, intense, intimidating and overall, a good guy. That was my impression. Can't say I knew him too well, but we did develop some type of 'heya' friendship with Johnny and Kenny. I also did a song with Josh [Silver, keyboards] a few years ago even though I've never talked to him in person.

"Anyways, I just wanted to write something... I am in a bit of a shock, I guess...

"Thoughts goes out to Johnny, Kenny and Josh as well as to Peter's families and friends. His and their music lives on, or as they say, echoes in eternity."

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 5:05 PM

i heard wavves is doing a tribute show at monster island basement next week

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 5:19 PM

@4:06 No. 1- I'm with ya. All the Midwestern transplants that populate this site and now claim "Brooklyn" might have no idea, but seriously: fuck that guy.

@4:06 No.2 - That's a bass, not a guitar you moron. Go the fuck back to Ohio.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 9:34 PM

It's a bass GUITAR, jerk off. Guitar is acceptable.

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 10:06 PM

R.I.P Thank you for all the memories. Your music is tied to so many of my own trials and tribulations. I am glad you have peace now but you will be greatly missed. The only regret I have is that I didn't try and make you talk to me more when I got your autograph at a concert.

Posted by AMBER | April 15, 2010 10:59 PM

This really crushes me in so many ways..Not only because Pete has been a huge influence on me, but because it also marks another thing from pre-yupster New york that is now gone...Seriously, Peter Steele dying maybe the last nail in the coffin for this life long New Yorker to leave..

Posted by Mark | April 17, 2010 2:49 PM

The interview is really heartbreaking. He speaks about someday having kids. It is so sad he was pulling it together. This is really are horrible loss!

Posted by stephanie | April 19, 2010 11:19 PM

I bought a house in aug 94 and we were laying down tile. Christian Woman came on the radio and I was like "what!" I remember having the same reaction to gnr's "jungle" in 87. I was hooked on TON from that one air play. You must understand living in ft myers fl we aren't exactly exposed to NYC ground breakin sound. Ironic slow deep and hard is still my fav I think it's just honest but I own every one and got to meet, get pics and autos of all except Josh! Guess you you just couldn't be bothered. So cheers to you Pete your torment was flat out evident in your beautiful music. I think that's why I loved it so much you have to be tormented yourself to get it. And now the world is comming down isn't it. So sorry for your band mates (that's a marriage) even if you don't want it. Condolences to family and management. So so sad.

Posted by Lois | May 3, 2010 9:45 AM

After watching this interview several times my reaction is always the same. Sadness. I want to crawl onto that couch, sit next to him, and wrap my arms around him and simply not let go. That sigh of relief at the end of the clip puts a damn lump in my throat, every time. All that shyness and uncertainty hidden behind brashness, humour and bravado. It’s such a shame that when he’s finally feeling well his life ends.

I take comfort in knowing all his demons are now silenced, all the addictions can no longer punish him. I take comfort in knowing that unlike when most of us lose a friend or loved one and only have our own mortal memories as a reminder, there are clips like this, concert footage, dvds and his songs…..his voice that can be heard, not just in our own minds but truly, physically heard. We as fans and admirers, and those who actually loved and cared for him will never have the fear of forgetting his voice. I take comfort in the fact that just like today when Bon Scott singing Jailbreak brought a smile to my face more than 30 years after his death, one day, maybe tomorrow, next week, next month, or hell 30 years from now someone will listen to Type O and sing at the top of their lungs and relish in the sounds of Peter’s voice. Tomorrow marks one month since he’s passed, his voice now gives me sadness, but in time will bring comfort as I hope it will for everyone who hears it.

My warmest thoughts go out to his five sisters, and his brothers – by that I mean Kenny, Josh and Johnny and to all those who loved him, their loss must be so deep right now……If I could give you a hug to try and offer comfort I would.

Posted by Karina | May 13, 2010 5:12 PM

What I remember most about Peter, was is consideration and his charms. I know that he went through challenges in his life, however Peter was a survivor, intelligent and very charming and most of all, he handle most things that were thrown at him like his romances, career and personal issues. He would interlock that into his music. Now I found that awesome. I remember having a conversation with Peter, right in front of Roseland. Some idiot approached him and made a negative comment about his bass playing skills. Peter just ignored him however, If that were me, I would have knocked all of the guy teeth right out of his mouth.

Anyways, Peter I really love and I hope that you have made peace with all of your sisters but most of all, I hope that you are enjoying the afterlife with your love ones especially you Mom. Forever Peace love and happiness in the afterlife. Wait for me and meet me in the end. You will know who I am. The spiritual one will guild you to me.

I love Batticia

Posted by Glenette Houston | June 11, 2010 4:33 PM

ass lickers and butt sniffers!!talk trash on peter steele and you were on your knees face buried in ass as you already know..ass breath pussy!!!rip pete!!you went too soon!!you are missed!!glad you went peacefully!!

Posted by people that insult others are ass lickers | July 13, 2010 9:52 AM

RIP Pete Just listening to The excellent Type O and stumbled across this.

Respect from all the Symptom crew.

www.THESYMPTOM.co.uk

Posted by Scotty The Symptom | September 22, 2010 6:52 AM

much love & respect to pete and the band. my heart goes out to the family. you are very missed pete. bloody kisses~

Posted by Char | October 19, 2010 12:52 AM

I am still sad, and although didn't know they even existed til a friend told me about them in 2007, I quickly knew I would love this music!R.I.P. Petrus, see you in the afterlife=)

Posted by Charlene | January 17, 2011 9:09 PM