Posted in music | tour dates on April 12, 2010

by Klaus Kinski

The Wall

To say I have an eclectic taste in music would be a gross understatement, and I think that sentiment applies to most people these days. But the one band that has remained at the top of my musical heap has been Pink Floyd. Starting in about 1990, I would buy any Pink Floyd related item I could get my hands on. I would spend entire weekends going to every record store in Boston and Cambridge, buying anything and everything I could find. Then eBay opened up a global Pink Floyd market to me and I spiraled out of control. Financial necessity forced me to liquidate a large portion of my collection a few years back and I don't buy any more stuff, but I've still got many prized Floyd items as well as all kinds of CDs, bootlegs, and other rare recorded material. I also still avidly follow anything pertaining to Pink Floyd, David Gilmour, Syd Barrett, Rick Wright and, more than anything, Roger Waters.

By far, my favorite member of Pink Floyd is Roger Waters. As far as I'm concerned, when Roger Waters left Pink Floyd, Pink Floyd ceased to legitimately exist as Pink Floyd. Of course, I bought Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell when they were released. And how could any self-respecting pothead Masshole miss The Division Bell tour when it came to Foxboro Stadium? But those albums didn't FEEL like Pink Floyd, and I think Roger was being too polite when he called Momentary Lapse of Reason "a pretty fair forgery." In addition, while David Gilmour and Rick Wright solo records are just plain cheesy and self-indulgent (and don't get me started on Nick Mason's wtf-inducing record Fictitious Sports), Roger was always trying to create a larger musical narrative. As a matter of fact, the political and social commentary of Amused To Death is probably more relevant now than it was in 1992.

I saw Roger in 1999, twice in 2000, and twice in 2007 when he was touring Dark Side of the Moon. What's his next move? On Monday April 12th, 2010 at 2:00pm EST [editor's note: which is less than an hour from the time this is being posted, though Klaus actually wrote this last week], Roger Waters will be formally announcing a 2010 tour (update: NOW ANNOUNCED) of his epic masterpiece The Wall on his newly designed official website roger-waters.com. For years there has been speculation that this tour would happen eventually, and then a few months ago Roger's official website went from having Roger Waters content to simply having a Sony Logo on it. I had a feeling then that a redesign was in the works, and that the redesign would no doubt unveil some pretty awesome news.

In the meantime, if you DO want to see a pretty decent forgery of Pink Floyd, check out The Machine on Saturday June 19th on their Rocks Off Boat Cruise. I mean, they're no Australian Pink Floyd, but they're still good!

UPDATE: Dates announced.

Klaus hopes he doesn't sound like this guy....

I can't wait for Oct 5th at MSG!.....but I'll bet they will add at least one or two more dates for sure :)

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | April 12, 2010 1:17 PM

roger waters, who turned to be a discusting human being, is the best pink floyd cover band ever and that's it.

Posted by me | April 12, 2010 1:21 PM

awesome, glad to see being dead isnt getting in the way of writing posts for bv

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:27 PM

fuck ya

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:32 PM

The Red Sox, Celtics, Patriots and Bruins S U C K !

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:32 PM

i'm more interested in the fact that the author of this article is listed as klaus kinski.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:33 PM

Roger Waters sucks

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:42 PM

klaus kinski and roger waters have very big egos in common. the wall is the worst piece of shit to taint a career ever

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:47 PM

Also, I hear Nassau Coliseum on 10/12 & Izod on 11/3.

Posted by treece | April 12, 2010 1:52 PM

Roger Waters about to announce that he is completely out of new ideas.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:55 PM

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 1:58 PM

How convenient that ticket prices aren't listed anywhere on the site.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 2:06 PM

$55-$250 as per the Ticketmaster listing for the Nassau show. No thanks.

Posted by treece | April 12, 2010 2:08 PM

"Roger Waters about to announce that he is completely out of new ideas. "

He has accomplished more in any one month of the 1970s than you will in your entire meaningless, pathetic life.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 2:08 PM

From the new website:

"There is enough of everything in THE WORLD for us all to have enough to eat, to be warm and dry and to have a colour TV and a car. WE are taught to FEAR that if WE share what WE have with THEM, WE won’t have anything left for US."

Well @ $250 a pop, HE will have plenty for HIMSELF!

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 2:11 PM

fuck roger, its all about Syd...DOCTA DOCTA!

Posted by piper gate man | April 12, 2010 2:12 PM

oh yeah...

Posted by Lamont | April 12, 2010 2:18 PM

bunch of old people threatening you that if you dont sit down they will kill you- then when he brings out the pig they all boo- its like a bunch of republican nazis attend Roger Waters but dont listen to his lyrics. No thank you

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 2:52 PM

Ugh. Roger Waters solo stuff has sucked compared to David's. And The Wall is probably Floyd's most overrated album.

Posted by POSTY McPOSTERTON | April 12, 2010 3:09 PM

Awesome dude.
Waters rawks. You haters totally don't get it. This man is better than 10 of your LED Soundgardens, combined. Yea. That's right. I said it.

Posted by Darnell | April 12, 2010 3:24 PM

The Wall is pretty much a whiney Roger Waters vanity project. It's no coincidence that the best song on The Wall was written by Gilmour.

Waters was never a good singer and his voice is shot now anyways.

Posted by Anonymous | April 12, 2010 3:35 PM

If you don't appreciate The Wall, I feel sorry for you. You're really missing out...

Posted by Anonymous | April 13, 2010 11:22 AM

The rest of the world has run out of new ideas. Movies, music, video games, TV series, etc all copy and rehash previously imagined ideas. Even Avatar is just a rework of civilization encroaching on a native people and pushing them out for some nefarious purpose. Don't get me started.

Roger has created and reached millions of people with his music which effects people at all levels in many ways. His music makes a statement and he has never comprimised his ideals and opinions to suit the staus quo, or even, his audience.

To the haters out there, You probably don't know enough about him to justify the hate. My guess is your opinion comes from a lack of critical thinking skills and if you're not willing to spend the time to understand the work, your opinion is just another stone dragging you down, tranforming you into a "sad old man", have a good drown...

As far as the ticket prices, I think you'd be surprised at what he gets compared to the price YOU pay to the profiteers who sucked them up in the first 2 minutes of sales.

I, for one, will pay to see him perform as often as he comes to town and willing to travel if he misses my area.

BTW, show me another performer touring as much as he is at his age. I envy him for just that.

His solo stuff, to refute one post, in some ways is superior to his PF contributions. Amused to Death is probably more relevent today that is was when it was released. Listen to it again. Even Music from the Body(early 70's), which many may not even be aware of, is evidence of his versatility and imagination. Phish is WAY behind the curve when it comes to playing unusual items as musical instruments.

To his influence on society, I would venture to claim that he is among the top 1% of those who have had an effect on the direction of the human race as a whole and deserves a place in history for his contributions. Not some cheesy star on some lame sidewalk in Hollywood, or that devalued Nobel Prize garbage(honored for things one is yet to do!?!?!!? WTF). He ranks up there with Edison, Anne Frank, and the Dalhi Lama.

Done.

Posted by mikus | April 21, 2010 1:29 AM

some of you so called people need to get a life, its music, words and lights, its just a friggin rock show, but everyone has to delve into deep meanings of everything roger puts out, the man is a genius, along with gilmour and rip richard wright.just enjoy the show and keep your opinionated crap to yourselves............

Posted by mark | April 22, 2010 3:10 PM