Posted in music on April 15, 2010

"R.I.P. Peter Steele. Thankyou for creating the ultimate & most influential New York bands ever. Love to his family & close friends." - Keith Caputo

Type O Negative

Posted: April 15, 2010.

It is with great sadness that we inform you that Type O Negative front man, bassist, and our band mate, Peter Steele passed away last night of what appears to be heart failure.

Ironically Peter had been enjoying a long period of sobriety and improved health and was imminently due to begin writing and recording new music for our follow up to "Dead Again" released in 2007.

The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results. The funeral services will be private and memorial services will be announced at a future date. We'd like to share our thoughts and those of Peter's family below.
We are truly saddened to lose our friend and appreciate the tremendous outpouring today from around the world.

Sincerely,

Josh, Kenny and Johnny

Individual statements from all three of them, and a message from Pete's family, below...

Josh Silver: "Peter, My endless source of frustration, (as I'm yours) you have really done it this time. You have changed and touched countless lives through music, comedy and often brutal honesty. You've made life both interesting and irritating and I could not imagine not having known you for 37 years. It still isn't true in my mind but in time I will miss you and the creating that we all endured together. We certainly disagreed constantly and I believe (and hope) we all learned from each other. Should I call you my brother, friend or neighbor? I can only call you Peter (and usually after 2 PM). We laughed at ourselves more times then I can count. Knowing humans are preposterous creatures and I know we reveled in that fact. I will miss you in time, but at this moment your premature departure seems surreal and has pissed me off to no end. Though I never told you that I harbor a deep respect for you, I do. Goodbye my friend."

Kenny Hickey: "Peter Steele was one of the most brilliant and funny personalities in music and it was all for real. Half the time people thought he was joking, but he was actually telling the truth. Part of me died with him."

Johnny Kelly: "It's impossible for me to put into a few sentences what I am feeling at the moment Peter. I'm not sure if I should eulogize or roast you. Both good and bad, we went on one hell of a ride together and sadly, the ride has come to an end. You truly were a unique person. Your music touched many people. Myself included. Whether it was talking about The Beatles, power tools, how Pluto was no longer considered a planet or calling me at 3am asking me to drive to your house to have a fistfight with you, you always kept it interesting. It was a privilege to have been your bandmate. It's something that I will always cherish."

In a statement issued today by Steele`s family: "Legendary Goth/Heavy Metal musician Peter Steele died suddenly Wednesday, April 14, 2010, after a short illness at the age of 48. He wrote and orchestrated the music for the Brooklyn-based band Type O Negative, a groundbreaking group known for its dramatic lyrical emphasis on the themes of romance, depression, and death. Steele, renowned as much for his striking physical appearance as his musical talent, was the creative force behind the bands 20-year success writing most of the material for the their albums. Type O Negative and Steele have been lauded as a major influence by numerous alternative and metal bands. The band gained a worldwide following through touring and recording seven studio albums, two best-of compilations, concert DVDs and music videos. Their 1993 album "Bloody Kisses" went platinum, and the 1996 follow-up "October Rust" went gold.

The music world has lost a great talent, and music fans worldwide are mourning, but for our family we are mourning a beloved brother, uncle, cousin, friend and funny man. Peter Steele was a complex man, known for his brooding looks, his self-deprecating sense of humor, unique view of the world, and most of all his loyalty to his fans, friends and family. Survived by five sisters, the eldest living sister notes that he was more than our brother, he was our son. His untimely death is tragic - a great loss to us and to music. The official cause of death has yet to be determined pending autopsy results, and funeral plans at present remain unknown. The family thanks fans for their loyalty to Peter and band members, but request that fans and media respect their wishes for privacy.

In addition to his success in music, Peter Steele also tried his hand at acting, appearing in HBO`s Oz and the cult classic film Bad Acid. He also composed music for the film soundtracks "Freddy vs. Jason" and "Mortal Combat", the television movie "Nosferatu: The First Vampire", and the soon-to-be released "Living the American Nightmare."

R.I.P Peter..You will be missed!!

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 10:18 PM

damn, sucks

RIP Peter

Posted by Anonymous | April 15, 2010 10:25 PM

thoughts and prayers to the family.. a great talent will be missed by all

Posted by Janet | April 15, 2010 10:37 PM

just saying, i find it interesting that the band did 7 albums and i often wonder if any band that has all the hype with out the years of work behind them will make it past 3.

RIP Pete- one of the old NYC workhorses.

Posted by Tim | April 15, 2010 10:49 PM

Hearts Broken we Cry Tears of Blood. The Magnificent PETER STEELE DIED Last Night of HEART Failure. His Songs & Words Play Eternally in the DARKEST Corners of our Minds as we Sing Along his Melodies of Woe. He will be MISSED, but shall LIVE on for Generations & Centuries to come. Held Close to our Shattered HEARTS we all Died a Little with Him. May he finally be at PEACE. Find Your way to those LOVED & LOST. Our Prayers are with You. BLOODY KISSES for all to Share. DEATH is NOT the End, but a Transformation into New BLISS. May You Obtain the HAPPINESS You Deserve and in Your Earthly Career had so much Missed.

Posted by Jonathan Dutson | April 16, 2010 1:48 AM

Volcanoes in Iceland?? Not a coincidence. RIP Peter.

Posted by Anonymous | April 16, 2010 10:26 AM

RIP BIG MAN. MET YOU TWICE KNEW YOUR SISTER P VERY WELL THANKS FOR THE POSTER IT STILL HANGS ON ANTHONYS WALL.RESPECTS TO P AND FAMILY MIKIE

Posted by mikie walker | April 17, 2010 1:37 PM

words cannot describe the loss..RIP Petrus

Posted by nasia | April 20, 2010 1:01 PM

Respect sent to you Pete! And to all the family friends and fans be strong.

Posted by duke | April 20, 2010 11:05 PM

Sal Abruscato statement was added later:

There are not many words that can describe how you affected my life Peter. From the times of hanging in your basement as a kid, the first meetings we had about Type O Negative, to getting chased all over Europe by radical left wing groups with bomb threats and eventually creating one of the most influential albums of all time. You affected me and influenced me as an artist and as a person, you were one of the funniest and most generous friends I ever knew. It is an honor to have been there with you through the rough times we call the beginning and now the end. I am the musician I am today because of you and I thank you with all my heart my friend. I will miss you and I love you.

This is truly the end of an era.

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 20, 2010 11:53 PM

Im immensly saddend by peters death and will be always..he made a real impact on my life and could relate on a lot of what he was saying through his music....my condolences are with the family and members of the band and their families also.....peter even though you are gone from this earth you are loved still by millions of people......including me....love you peter!

Posted by Margaret Franklin | April 23, 2010 6:52 PM

I was able to see type O negative at the Rave at the Eagles Club in Milwaukee WI 2008 during the Jagermeister Music tour I was completely blown away and astounded at the musicianship of Peter and the band. It took my breath away I still have the photos on my Phone. I have seen many huge bands and I can say it was one of the best performances I have ever seen live and in person It was my first time seeing the band after many years of being a fan. I remember the day and time I first heard Black Number1 in 1993 It was on 102.1 The DJ could only play it in the background while he was doing his show because the station wouldn't let him play it during the normal rotation of boring and worthless crap. I called him just to find out who the artist was and Immediately went out and bought bloody kisses It has been a major influence through out my life ever since. Thank God for Type O Negative and the enrichment It has given my Life. Peter May you Rest In Eternal Life. Jesus Christ Does Look Like you.

Posted by RJ | May 1, 2010 7:58 PM

RIP Peter.. You are a loss to all who knew you, not only in the music world but personally.. May red wine forever flow over your lips..

Posted by LaVetta | July 27, 2010 12:29 PM

I miss you my baby brother.

YOu will never know how much you influenced me, how much I admired you, how much I love you, how much 'I miss you...really miss you."

Posted by Cathy | October 13, 2010 11:39 AM

You really knew me, I really knew you, it's been 6 months and still I cry everyday, so many people loved you and miss you so much, I know why, I was lucky. My heart always belonged to you, still does, always will.
P*

Posted by Donna | October 14, 2010 5:41 AM

I wish I could have met you. Many nights you kept me company when I was down...You were there to mend my broken heart.. And when someone would ask ,If you could have dinner with anyone in the world who would it be? Peter Steele I would say...I will meet you on the other side one day...Thank you for being my muse with songs that touched my life forever,,,, Missing you forever...

Prayers and Peace to your Family & Friends

Posted by Verna McDowell | November 12, 2010 4:10 AM

I grew up listening to you, type o negative has always been my favorite band, its heart breaking to know he's gone and hard to wrap my head around not hearing new music frome peter! He done an interview with full metal jackie in 2007 and I laughed at something he said, "if you like the same music your parents do or kids do something is wrong"! Something to that affect, I laughed because I've raised my kids on his music and type o is not only my favorite band, but also my 16 year old daughter and 14 year old son! So peter you done it all right in everyway, I've enjoyed and still enjoying sharing you music and videos with my kids, you were a good person with a huge heart, its a shame so many couldn't see that, and like you said would not allow their kids to listen to you, well pete, you and your music will forever live on in my house hold, so keep on rockin where ever you are):

Posted by misty martin | February 24, 2011 9:10 AM

And to his band mates/brothers my heart and thoughts are with you all, I know after all these years there's now a void, and to his family same to you, he was a family man, and I can feel your sadness, and pete, why did your crazy ass have to go on my sons birthday?! Bitter sweet, gonna miss and love ya always- and loved seeing yall it was an honor

Posted by misty martin | February 24, 2011 9:16 AM

hey peter i first heard your long deep crys in bloody kisses i was like wow this band f ing rules you helped me so much with my life at the time when i was down your words ran through my veins like a drug when i found out you had passed on i was mortified and deeply saddened i brought my son to see you in worcester for his first consert he liked rap music but he said he loved your show and was so happy i brought him with me and definatly wanted to go again but know your at peace looking down at us i fucking love and miss you dude your music and lyric will for ever live with me i cant write anymore for i am in tears love you man love dominic from ashland massachettes

Posted by DOMINIC MOONA | March 8, 2011 4:12 PM

i heard he had a big schlong, ladies am i right?

Posted by Anonymous | November 27, 2011 11:03 PM

I always wondered how I could achieve this hair color, without being forced to paint me constantly. A damaged hair will not look good , regardless of the chosen shade.

Posted by Laura | November 19, 2014 8:15 AM

R.I.P Peter..he was a big talent..thoughts and prayers to the family.

Posted by Victor | November 21, 2014 3:58 AM