Posted in music | tour dates on April 21, 2010

DOWNLOAD: Voxtrot - The Start of Something (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: International Waters - Olympia (MP3)
DOWNLOAD: International Waters - Cycle of the Chain (MP3)

Voxtrot @ the Mohawk in Austin - Nov 2009 (more)
Voxtrot

Voxtrot are officially calling it quits, but before they go they'll play some final shows with all original members. That includes Ramesh Srivastava, Matt Simon, Mitch Calvert, Jason Chronis and even Jared Van Fleet (aka Sparrow House) who left the not-very-active band a little while back. I last saw them in November when they happened to play a show in their hometown of Austin during Fun Fun Fun Fest (see above).

There are seven goodbye shows total and the final one will take place right here in NYC at Bowery Ballroom on June 26th (tickets TBA will be on sale Friday). It will be a sad evening for sure. All dates and a long letter from Ramesh about this is below, but first let's discuss what all the individual members have been up to.

Mitch has a new band called International Waters, which has a new 10" record called It Felt Like that they'll be releasing soon. Meanwhile you can get two of those songs for free above. They'll be opening the West Coast Voxtrot shows.

Jared is still working on solo material as Sparrow House, and opens for Inlets at Union Hall on April 23rd.

Matt and Jason both play in Jason's band called JC & Co.. They're readying a full-length for July. Both Jason and Matt also play in The Black and Belaire.

Not part of the reunion, but once a member of Voxtrot, Jennifer Moore continues to do her thing in YellowFever.

Voxtrot, thanks for all the memories. Ramesh's letter and all dates below...

Voxtrot @ Magnetic Field, Brooklyn, 2005 (more)
Voxtrot

A LETTER FROM RAMESH

Warning: This is a very long note, but then again, everything I write is very long.

Recently, a friend in Glasgow asked me to submit a few paragraphs for a piece he was putting together, regarding the end of Optimo (Espacio). Part of my submission reads as follows:

"Optimo is a reminder of the value of a shock to the system. Give yourself over to something foreign without fear or hesitation, and the creative manifestations in your own art will be remarkable. "

The career path of Voxtrot was truly one of long, simmering build, explosion, and almost instantaneous decay. Slowly, I am learning to replace any feelings of regret with positive memories of how amazing the whole thing was, and how it has, in an unexpected way, fortified my character.

Making great art requires one to be fearless, and sometimes I've given too much energy to fear. Whenever I read an interview in which a band claims they are going to return to the sound of their earlier, more popular work, a small part of me aches for them. It doesn't work like that-the popularity of the earlier work is based upon the sense of newness felt by the musicians at the time of creation. So, how to get back the newness...?

Approximately eight months ago, I spoke to my friend Simon and indicated that I was ready to give up on music, or at least leave it for the indefinite future, but he reminded me that you can't dedicate yourself to another job or a degree, or some other distraction just because you've got nothing else going-if you have the feeling that you were born to do something, you've got to follow that feeling.

As he told me, "Do it because you love music. Do it with passion."And so I did what I had to do. I swallowed my pride and got two jobs, one of which involved clearing the dishes of the filthy-and-not-so-pleasant-rich, and while this sudden change in lifestyle was not altogether ideal, I was constantly aware that I was building towards something.

For me, the most important thing in life is leaving behind something beautiful, something that finds its way into the lives of strangers, and forever alters them in a positive manner. Sometimes, being able to do this means that you have to work the shitty job and serve bread to rich idiots, but whatever, it's better than just cashing in your chips and spending the rest of your life wondering, "what if...?"

In the end, I've come to realize that there really isn't any cause for disappointment. The fact is, the songs still exist, and
the music of Voxtrot lives on as a sovereign entity which, outside of all criticism, positive or negative, belongs to the guys
and me, and to everybody who ever loved it or believed. Taking into account every person I've met, every place I have
visited, every emotional exchange I have ever had with a listener, there is absolutely no room for regret.

In fact, the other day, I was thinking about it in the shower and decided that my situation was analogous to Peter Falk's
glass eye. You probably don't know this, but I am a massive fan of Columbo-it is the only detective show in which there is
no mystery, thus the entire reason you watch it is because you just love him (Falk) so much. It is a true testament to the
power of a strong character. Anyway, when Peter Falk was five years old, one of his eyes had to be removed, due to a
malignant tumor. Obviously, this is bad, BUT, had it not happened, he would never have developed his signature stare,
which, let's face it, accounts for at least a small percentage of his overall appeal. Whatever I create from this point on, I
will only create because of everything, good or bad, that has happened thus far.

Being in Voxtrot has been wonderful and amazing, but it is only one chapter in the book...

When I was in high school, I was a great fan of the Scottish band, Travis, and I have always harbored a secret desire to
meet the band's frontman, Fran Healy. Not so long ago, at my friend Lucy's studio in Berlin, I had the fortunate
experience of doing just this. He was buying a painting of hers, and we spent about three hours conversing.
Eventually, our conversation drifted towards the ebb and flow of our respective careers, as well as the anger that comes
with not knowing how to pull oneself out of a creative rut. Obviously, our two careers have been on different scales, but
nonetheless, the associated concepts are universal. At the end of the conversation, he said to me, "You can't to keep
writing the same song. You have to throw away the map. AND you have to keep creating, even if it goes nowhere for a
while, you have to always keep creating... and it'll be great."

And he's right. I must leave again-take a risk, do something radical, but in order to do that, I need closure. This is not to
say that Voxtrot will never play again, and certainly, if Voxtrot has never been to your country (or continent) we are open
to ideas, but for all intents and purposes, this series of live shows will be the last.

Part of doing something with love is being able to say "goodbye" at the right time. Thank you for everything. On to the
next one...

Love,
Ramesh

Voxtrot - "Goodbye, Cruel World" 2010 Tour Dates
MAY 21 - Chicago, IL @ Lincoln Hall
MAY 22 - Appleton, WI @ Lawrence University
MAY 27 - Los Angeles, CA @ Echoplex *
MAY 29 - San Francisco, CA @ Great American Music Hall *
JUNE 3 - Austin, TX @ Emo's
JUNE 23 - Washington, DC @ Black Cat
JUNE 26 - New York, NY @ Bowery Ballroom
* = w/ International Waters (Mitch from Voxtrot)

Remember back in 2007 when people actually gave a damn about this band. Then they released their debut album and it went nowhere. Talk about bullshit hype, this band is antithesis of it!

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:13 PM

bowery show is 6.26

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:16 PM

it's about time they broke up. new jersey needs some more gas station attendants.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:23 PM

2:13, the reason they went nowhere is cuz the album didnt have nearly as good of songs as the EPS dork! the hype was there for good reason, those EPS have tons of gems. it was lofty for them to live up to. thanks for some good times boys

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:25 PM

who?

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:26 PM

I saw these guys in 2007 and they were great. The LP was good but not amazing. However, they left us with some amazing songs, i.e. "Mothers, Sisters, Daughters, & Wives."

Good luck to them.

Posted by voxtrot fan | April 21, 2010 2:28 PM

The album DID have as many good songs as a single EP (five), but the rest were crap. That was the problem.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:30 PM

this is so sad - i love voxtrot. ive been waiting for them to come out with a new album, and now this?! nothing lasts forever i guess.

im sure ramesh wont leave music and with the other band member's side projects, i guess it will be okay.
the bowery show is gonna be a bittersweet night..

Posted by belle | April 21, 2010 2:31 PM

Nice one Whitey band down!

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:36 PM

Be nice, guys. It's hard for someone to have a job for the first time in their life. It truly is a cruel world.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 2:43 PM

stupid "buzz" band. they should have gone away a while ago, why even exist in 2010? i hope this is vampire weekend in 2013.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 3:02 PM

Voxtrot still have the NYC show listed as June 25, but I was just told it is actually June 26. I changed it, but still confirming.

Posted by brooklynvegan | April 21, 2010 3:10 PM

Whitey band? The lead singer is brown...

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 3:17 PM

i don't think that words means what you think it means, 2:13.

but yes, as a pleasant band with a couple good songs you could've stumbled across and enjoyed, voxtrot were fine. as a band hyped as the future of pop, not so much.

Posted by sam | April 21, 2010 3:22 PM

voxtrot seemed like one of the few bands of this time who werent concerned with fame and money and didnt give a fuck about what pitchfork has to say to them.
so what if they were a buzz band or hyped and sort of faded.. they're musicians and from this letter you can tell ramesh really cares about his music. just because theyre not THE NEXT BIG THING doesnt mean they have any less right to make music okay? jesus.

Posted by alyssa | April 21, 2010 3:34 PM

2:23, are you alluding to the fact that many gas station attendants in New Jersey are Indian, and since Ramesh is of Indian-descent, he should also become a gas station attendant? If so, you are a dick.

Posted by anonymous | April 21, 2010 3:49 PM

3:34, Voxtrot was once a Myspace Featured Artist. To be featured on Myspace (at least at that time), you paid money and would stick you in that rotation. So to say they weren't concerned with fame isn't entirely right...

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 4:03 PM

I can't see why the break-up of a band that wrote several really good songs that didn't sell all that well is a cause for great joy. Is everyone's life so miserable that they have to gloat when a smart, earnest and hard-working band fails?

And 2:23, the gas station comment is pretty effed- don't you have a rap rock show to go to?

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 4:19 PM

voxtrot was featured myspace band back before individuals paid myspace, it was done through promotion companies, and allegedly by one that was trying to win over the band's contract.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 5:13 PM

I don't understand some of you.

Posted by Will | April 21, 2010 5:36 PM

I agree with the comments. WHITEY DOWN!

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 5:39 PM

those eps are still killer, great live too

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 6:44 PM

Thank gawd, now I don't have to hear about this completely overhyped and full of shit band.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 6:55 PM

agreed w/ 6:44, their early EPs were really good but the LP didn't wow like it should have. 'kid gloves' is a great song but the 2nd half lagged. i figured they could turn it around, but i guess not.

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 8:24 PM

letter is heartfelt but the music was boring and predictable as fuck so it's hard to feel sorry... he got to experience more "indie rock stardom" than most of the starry-eyed bedroom musicians who play empty club gigs in brooklyn do.. just sounds like a guy who's disappointed he can't make a career out of it

Posted by Anonymous | April 21, 2010 9:17 PM

I loathe you fucking haters. Go jerk off to your Record Store releases and wait for Pitchfork to tell you what to listen to. Brooklyn sucks for this very reason.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2010 12:07 AM

i thought they had a bunch of fun songs and never had a chance to see them live (until the upcoming bowery show). i also can't understand most of you on here.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2010 1:21 AM

remember when voxtrot opened for the arctic monkeys in central park? that was a good night.

Posted by Renee | April 22, 2010 2:12 AM

Voxtrot is an immensely talented band. I thought the full length was pretty good. It took me a few listens, but I really enjoyed most of the tracks. These guys know how to make really fun music. I hope Ramesh starts playing music again, b/c he is a talent that cannot go to waste.

Posted by pants | April 22, 2010 5:30 AM

Voxtrot was a solid band with a lot of great songs, especially when you look at how little they put out. it's too bad we won't get any more.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2010 9:58 AM

12:07 nailed it.

People who are "so happy to never have to hear this piece of shit band again" obviously weren't listening to them in the first place, so why the fuck do you care if they break up or not? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you can shit on them when their career comes to an end. Dumb elitist fucks.

Posted by Anonymous | April 22, 2010 5:07 PM

Saw them at Siren a few years back. They ate ass.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2010 1:38 AM

Any news on when Jared's next EP will be coming out? It's been in the works for a while now.

Posted by Anonymous | April 23, 2010 5:51 AM

fact: Voxtrot wouldnt have been where they were without Brooklyn Vegan, so all you haters are gobbling up the very same hype machine that created the hype

Posted by just sayin | April 23, 2010 4:30 PM

Voxtrot definitely proved themselves to be more than just another blog band of the moment. The album certainly didn't live up to the quality of the EPs but it still had its share of great songs. Plus, their live show was brilliant.

Posted by My Liner Notes | April 26, 2010 12:35 PM