Sam Amidon @ Le Poisson Rouge in 2009 (more by Ryan Barkan)
tonight in NYC
* Zola Jesus @ SUNY Purchase
* Mike Birbiglia @ Carolines
* Asobi Seksu @ Japan Society
* Thou @ ABC No Rio
* Particle @ The Bell House
* Janelle Monae @ Joe's Pub
* Lupe Fiasco @ Irving Plaza
* Sam Amidon, Doveman @ 92YTribeca
* Carlos Giffoni @ Issue Project Room
* Mahogany, Arc in Round @ Littlefield
* Will Johnson & Anders Parker in a Living Room
* Freezepop, Plushgun @ Mercury Lounge
* GWAR Crack-a-thon kickoff party
* Baby Dee & guests @ Santos Party House
* The Wedding Present, The Jet Age @ Maxwell's
* Meta & the Cornerstones, Emily King @ Zebulon
* Darcy James Argue's Secret Society @ Galapagos
* The Defibulators, The Woes, Quintus @ Brooklyn Bowl
* Meshell Ndegeocello sings Gil Scott-Heron @ Joe's Pub
* Mahogany, Arc in Round, Long Distance Poison @ Littlefield
* New York Night Train's Soul Clap and Dance-Off @ Glasslands
* MV & EE, Flower-Corsano Duo, Meg Baird, Nonhorse @ Silent Barn
* The Shondes, Alina Simone, Secret History, Jive Grave @ Southpaw
* Care Bears On Fire, Wild Babies, The Truants, Tunnels @ Cake Shop
* White Mystery, QXBXRX, Zbornak, Richie White Orchestra @ Cake Shop
* Nullsleep, Winslow Turner Porter III, Flavorheard @ Knitting Factory
* Wild Yaks, Lil Daggers, Bad Indians, Nude Beach, Estrogen Highs @ Don Pedro
* Dinosaur Feathers, Shark?, Kleenex Girl Wonder, The Capstan Shafts @ Union Hall
* Washed Out, Small Black, Pictureplane, Pyschobuildings @ Music Hall of Williamsburg
* Weedeater, Gates of Slumber, Black Tusk, Struck by Lightning @ Studio @ Webster Hall
* Roadside Graves, Dusty And The Dreaming Spires, Blair, Common Prayer, The Laureates @ Pianos
The show at Pianos tonight is a release party for Roadside Graves' new You Won't Be Happy with Me EP. Their Aquarium Drunkard labelmate Blair is also on the bill.
Blair started her career in New Orleans, moved to L.A. and now lives in Brooklyn. Aquariam Drunkard says this about her debut, Die Young:
Musically Blair echoes the early days of Liz Phair in the minimalist structure of some of her songs. It's an interesting comparison to make, but it makes sense also as she came of age in Phair's peak as a musician. Within this structure though are moments as scattered and diverse as the Southern shuffle of "Wake Up Shake Up," the girl group shimmy of "Paris France" and the closely cropped haze of "Rampage." The title track even follows the loping, punctuated delivery of Suicaine Gratifaction-era Paul Westerberg. Die Young never abandons its tone and the album keeps a cohesive feel. It always seems to be going somewhere, even if the destination is as uncertain as the lyrics' narrator.Baby Dee's show at Santos tonight comes after the release of the newly produced A Book of Songs for Anne Marie, which came out March 23rd on Drag City. Little Annie & Paul Wallfisch are also on the bill.
Asobi Seksu perform at Japan Society (333 E 47th St) as part of a 12-hour Open House titled j-CATION. Their show, with opener Me & Mars, starts at 9:30. Tickets will be released first-come, first-served starting at 8pm, and admission to the show is included in the $5 suggested donation for the fest.
Washed Out and Small Black end their tour together with one more NYC show, this time at MHOW. They started the tour with two shows at Mercury Lounge.
White Mystery are featured this week in This Week in Indie (as are The Wedding Present who play Maxwell's tonight).
Sam Amidon and Doveman join forces once again at 92YTribeca tonight. It's a record release party for Sam who we recently interviewed. Video from the Big Ears Fest below.
BrooklynVegen Presents, as BBG said, "a killer four band bill of Weedeater, The Gates of Slumber, Black Tusk, and Struck By Lightning who will lay waste to The Studio at Webster Hall."
Thou play ABC No Rio earlier in the day. Check out the interview we just posted with the band.
The Middle East, Neon Indian, Crystal Castles & Local Natives tickets recently went on sale.
Drive-By Truckers recently stopped by Sirius-XM to record a perormance. Video from that below...
We recently uploaded a video of Olof Arnalds performing at SXSW. Check that out below...
Drive-By Truckers Perform "Get Downtown" on SIRIUS XM Outlaw Country