Posted in music on May 24, 2010

Eddie Vedder w/ Ben Bridwell - May 21st @ MSG (via Karen Loria/Pearl Jam official)
Eddie vedder and Ben Bridwell

Tour closers always have a lot of hype and [Pearl Jam's May 21st MSG show] has already lived up to it. As "Band of Horses" is milling about sidestage, you assume you'll get "All Along the Watchtower" and that'll be it. Ben Bridwell is introduced on stage, gives humble hugs and handshakes to all members sans Ed and here we go.

But the unmistakable deep-toned beginning of "Hunger Strike" starts and the crowd issues an enormous gasp in unison. Holy Crapola! Then it hits you - the perfect "cover". Can you think of a song that the entire band can play flawlessly, but without the key ingredient - Cornell's high-frequency singing - the song just can't be done alone? Bridwell's selection - like Sleater-Kinney's Corin Tucker in 2003 and Wolfmother's Andrew Stockdale in 2006 - is ideal. Cornell''s ... er ... Ben's vocal is first, and early, and he steps right out with a nervous smile but joy bursting from his eyes. He's a nervous, pacing lead man on stage and the thrill of the moment can't keep him from standing still. The rest of the band - once pensive on stage - are now side stage and all wide-eyed and smiling at their mates' effort. [Two Feet Thick]

One night after playing Madison Square Garden with a four-piece version of the Black Keys opening, Pearl Jam played the venue with Band of Horses in the opening slot. They invited BoH's Ben Bridwell to the stage during their second encore to sing on "Hunger Strike," a Temple of the Dog song and duet between Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell. Video of that performance, and setlists, below...

Ben Bridwell joins Pearl Jam for Hunger Strike in NYC

PEARL JAM *HUNGER STRIKE* Ben Bridwell New York NY @ MSG 5/21/2010 HD

Band of Horses will be back in NYC for a show on June 20th at Williamsburg Waterfront with Grizzly Bear and Karen Elson.

Pearl Jam at Madison Square Garden May 21, 2010 setlist

Is There A Ghost?
Laredo
Compliments
No One's Gonna Love You
The Funeral
The General Specific
Am I A Good Man (Them Two cover)

the 12 year old in me wishes i went to this...looks like a good time.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 2:18 PM

this is one show I was not able to get tickets for and deeply regret not attending, amazing rendition

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 2:18 PM

He looks like he's having the best time ever. That's great.

Posted by Patrick | May 24, 2010 2:38 PM

Magical night.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 2:54 PM

Eddie Vedder rules.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 2:58 PM

this was so awesome, amazing night

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:03 PM

Note to Mr. James Murphy or LCD Soundsystem.....fucking reference Mr. Vedder and Pearl Jam about changing up setlists a bit.

PJ - you rock!

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:11 PM

34 songs? holy shit

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:13 PM

Ben looked psyched. Happy to watch that

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:17 PM

Give that boy a shave and a cheeseburger!

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:28 PM

YAWN

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:32 PM

wish this show wasn't so expensive, looks pretty fun. seriously though, charging $78 for every seat in msg is a little ridiculous. it's called multiple price levels, pj...

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:51 PM

The reason they don't do multiple price levels is they reserve all the best seats (the entire floor and side wings) for their fan club.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:54 PM

Let's see....PJ is about twice as much as LCD Soundsystem was and over two nights PJ had somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 different songs played.

LCD over four nights...15 songs.

That is well worth 79 bucks and I never thought I'd say this but I'll take MSG over T5 just about any day.

I still had more fun at 5/22 LCD show and the 5/15 Hartford PJ show. The 5/20 PJ MSG show was great too but takes third of these three.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:59 PM

We bought tickets because we were super-keen to see Band of Horses - who were incredible at Carnegie Hall last year - but as the MSG show date approached I was more and more excited to see Pearl Jam.

They came flying out of the gates with "Corduroy", and it was pretty amazing to hear 20,000 fans roaring along to the chorus: "Everything thing has changed; absolutely nothing's changed"

Mind you, that line seemed like a pretty good metaphor for the night. I can't speak for the fan club types who were in the floor seats, but up in the rafters it seemed like damn near every fan had been cryogenically frozen in 1993 and unthawed for this show. Gold chains, cargo shorts, ball-caps worn backwards, tshirt sleeves rolled up to display the guns. It was meat-head central. Nary a bearded Uniqlo shopper in sight.

Posted by lp | May 24, 2010 4:36 PM

359 u have the best theory of value

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 4:58 PM

show was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good. it was a bit of a sausage fest there... but 34 songs for almost 3 hours!?!? my ears are still ringing. best setlist in a long ass time

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 5:39 PM

Show was incredible, I feel sorry for everyone who couldn't be there as well. Very memorable night. "Hunger Strike" basically split my skull open, and I've never seen the band so appreciative of an energized crowd as PJ was on Friday.

And $79 bucks for this is a BARGAIN. Where else are you going to get at arguably half the set as "anything's possible" type songs for 2.5+ hours? Sure, sucks that the 400's were priced the same but at the end of the day it is because they have roughly 12/13 of the place pre-allocated to their fan club.

Posted by Funderburgh | May 24, 2010 8:11 PM

^ I shouldn't have said "BARGAIN", but, for your $ you don't get much better of a show today than PJ.

Posted by Funderburgh | May 24, 2010 8:21 PM

We're fine. Really.

Posted by Everyone who couldn't be there | May 24, 2010 8:22 PM

if u guys have never heard pearl jam or temple of the dog or grunge in general you should give it a try because there are some decent songs and bands in the genre, some of which are still around today and haven't lost a step-if anything, they're better now than they ever were

some good albums: ten, vs, nevermind, superunknown, dirt

that's about all i can think of now. i haven't listened to my old cds in a while (i work 60hrs a week and have a 2hr round trip commute) but now and then i like to go to a concert and have a couple and this weekend was one of those times for me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 9:00 PM

just because you're from seattle in the early 90s doesn't make you grunge. I would say Nirvana is clearly grunge. I don't consider Pearl Jam as grunge. They're just alternative rock. If they weren't in Seattle during that time period, they would never have been labeled that way.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:36 PM

Grunge? more like Bro-Rock.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:59 PM

The Starbucks experience

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:23 PM

Amazing show..Best out of 5 we saw on the tour. Best thing I ever did was quit my corporate job and hop on Pearl Jam tour til it finished up in the USA at MSG. A great religious experience. Those who mock have no clue.

Posted by Levy | May 25, 2010 1:31 AM

the corporate experience

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 8:14 AM

First let me say that I don't like Pearl Jam's music. I also don't like people who bash them for being a lousy, old, corporate band. They do what they do great, but I'm just not into their sound.

PJ loves their fans and the fans reciprocate that same feeling back to Eddie and co.

Ps- For everyone who constantly complains about getting jacked up by Ticketmaster for outrageous service charges...these guys tried to help you NOT get screwed by the man. Corporate rockers?? I think not!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 9:14 AM

agree- pearl jam is not grunge. they are definitely more alternative rock. still great regardless of what you call them

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 10:29 AM

I'll have a venti, half caf, 180 degree, mocha shitstorm of overpriced Epic/Universal records, hippie jam-band, neo patchouli sounding dreck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 3:02 PM

I got a corporate job just so I could afford to go.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 3:33 PM

Pearl is the Best.
Band of Horses is so talented.
Hunger Strike is such a great song and sounded soooo good that night!!

www.igriza.com

Posted by Erik | May 25, 2010 7:06 PM

3:33-corporate sellout!

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 10:48 PM

I love lamp.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 4:50 PM

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were really good albums. Got them when they came out, still throw them on at times and think they're great. It saddens me when I hear bands from that era when I was a teenager and hear their new stuff and it's so clear how they've lost it, they sound desperate to recapture a sound/magic that they haven't had in 15 years (holy shit).... And then I realize that is not unlike a lot of us.

Posted by منتديات | January 22, 2011 7:53 AM