Posted in metal | music | tour dates on May 5, 2010

by BBG

Floor at The Earl (more by Rich Gaccione)
Floor

South Florida's FLOOR were around for roughly 10 years and recorded well over a dozen times during their on-and-off existence... and only in the wake of their demise did underground audio followers finally take note...

From the living rooms and basements of 1992 to the studios of 2001/2002, FLOOR had an incredible evolution from the GODFLESH and early-MELVINS-inspired sludge worship, to the unrivaled sugary doom/pop amalgamation which would eventually pave the way for TORCHE, HOUSE OF LIGHTNING and others. The changes in sound from recording-to-recording... against what would eventually follow, it becomes crystal clear that FLOOR were consistently operating on that fabled "next level". [Robotic Empire]

And now, that next level is RIGHT HERE IN NYC! Brooklyn Vegan & 1000Knives are pround to announce the return of Floor with Unearthly Trance on June 26th at Club Europa in Brooklyn as part of the Northside Festival! Tickets go on sale at NOON TODAY for this all-ages, early show (7pm doors), or get in with your Northside badge. It's gonna be a rager.

It's one of two shows the reunited Floor are going to play during their visit North. The first will take place one day earlier, 6/25 at First Unitarian Church in Philly with two great openers, Gods & Queens and Javelina.

And it's one of two shows that the great Unearthly Trance has in store for NYC, including June 3rd as part of the Tones of Death monthly shindig (which includes Gnaw, Bubonic Bear and Sin of Angels this week, May 6th). For more on that show, head to the Facebook invite.

Floor's Steve Brooks plays Rumsey Playield in NYC on May 26th with Torche as part of their tour with Coheed & Cambria and Circa Survive. Tickets are still available.

Floor at Eruopa is an earlier show, so you should be able to make it across town to catch at least part of BV's other show that same night at MHOW, with Memory Tapes, Twin Sister, DOM and ZAZA. Tickets are up, or try to use your Northside badges.

Floor are supporting their recent mega-boxset, out NOW on Robotic Empire.

Show flyer for Europa and some video from their show at The Earl on 4/3, below...

Floor @ The Earl 04.03.10

"Dove"

"Iron Girl" / "Night Full of Kicks"

Unearthly Trance at Public Assembly

Floor Flyer

...I just broke my mouse clicking on this link so fast

Posted by JT | May 5, 2010 11:59 AM

goddam it! i may have to travel north to phila. for this. sheeeeeit. that is fucking awesome.

Posted by Brian | May 5, 2010 12:01 PM

I love Floor and all the old Florida bands like Cavity and Assuck but seriously, when did they get to be so popular? The first Floor 7" was totally incredible but as many places as ive ever traveled I never knew them to be overly popular. It just seems like this kind of music has a massive bandwagon jump on happening over the past couple of years which boggles my mind because the idea of it being cool is really funny. Especially since most of these bands were just odd guys making music in their basements for themselves because they werent very well received by the Metal and MRR communities way back.

Regardless though its nice to see these guys get some attention because they deserve it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2010 12:04 PM

i wasnt super into floor when i first heard them but then when i got around to listening to torche i re-examined my opinion on floor and have thus "jumped on the bandwagon" if thats what you wanna call it. i think it would be an awesome show that's all, nothing more nothing less. i dont think i would buy the box set but i would drive the 2 hours to philly from dc to see them. that's all.

Posted by Brian | May 5, 2010 12:40 PM

God, I wish FLOOR would come to TEXAS.
Torche opening?! for Coheed is sad.
I just couldn't watch that happen.

Posted by TXn | May 5, 2010 1:08 PM

12:04 was there. He was there when Steve Brooks was in Floor, at a biker bar in Gainesville, in 2001. No one outside of his half-brother's basement party had ever heard of them.

But he's losing his edge.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2010 1:08 PM

STOKED! This will be a killer show, for sure!

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2010 1:55 PM

beyond excited for this!!

Posted by r | May 5, 2010 3:41 PM

Killer show! They were excellent last time they played NYC with Unearthly Trance. Excited for these two monoliths!

Posted by Poison | May 5, 2010 4:09 PM

"Losing My/His/Her/Their Edge" should be the next BV comment-section meme.

Posted by Regular reader | May 5, 2010 5:57 PM

@1:08 I was actually talking about 93-96 or so but its cool.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2010 6:15 PM

got into torche cuz i was so into floor back in high school. psyched that they're back. will probably sleep on buying tickets and won't be able to go.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2010 10:26 AM

I saw them in Gville probably every time they played there and I don't get the "biker bar in Gainesville" comment.

Glad the news is public. I'm stoked my friends outside FL get a second chance to see them. I may even try to catch one of these shows myself.

As for the "when did they get to be so popular?" comment... that's the way things often work for underground music. Sadly, few people care about it when it is happening then 10+ years later it has a cult following.

Posted by Jana Miller | May 6, 2010 3:02 PM

PS - There is a THIRD Floor reunion show BTW that isn't listed here!!!

June 22nd - Chicago, IL - at Empty Bottle - with Aquilonian

Tickets go on sale May 7th at 10AM:

Posted by Jana Miller | May 6, 2010 5:37 PM

Pre-order: UNEARTHLY TRANCE / THE ENDLESS BLOCKADE Split LP

Pre-order @ http://www.chromepeeler.com/order.html

CPR-11: UNEARTHLY TRANCE / THE ENDLESS BLOCKADE Split LP
New York doom metal juggernaut UNEARTHLY TRANCE offer up a side long onslaught of d-beat and doom before plummeting deep into the noise depths while Toronto's THE ENDLESS BLOCKADE combine power-violence and power-electronics to brutal effect including a Slogun cover. Limited to 1000 copies.

Orders will be shipped on June 14th.

Posted by Chrome Peeler Rec. | May 24, 2010 5:21 PM

@ May 5, 2010 12:04 PM

you and everyone else is a floor fan, ive lived in florida all my life and have been around bands in the scene like assuck and not once did anyone play in a basement since there aren't even any basements in florida, which leads me to believe that your not even FROM florida if you dont know even know THAT.

P.S. your probably another one of those lame kids who gets up in the front and pretends to know the lyrics during 'tales of lolita' and makes hand gestures like their at some hardcore show.

Posted by Anonymous | January 5, 2011 5:55 PM

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were really good albums. Got them when they came out, still throw them on at times and think they're great. It saddens me when I hear bands from that era when I was a teenager and hear their new stuff and it's so clear how they've lost it, they sound desperate to recapture a sound/magic that they haven't had in 15 years (holy shit).... And then I realize that is not unlike a lot of us.

Posted by منتديات | January 22, 2011 8:07 AM

That was an awesome event! I still remember the blast... It just seems like this kind of music has a massive bandwagon jump on happening over the past couple of years which boggles my mind because the idea of it being cool is really funny.

Posted by chemotherapy | February 12, 2011 3:50 AM

Really Really cool videos. Especially the Floor stuff, really dig them. Not a big fan of reunion shows, but this one is special.

Posted by Games | May 23, 2011 12:18 PM