Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on May 24, 2010

photos by Vincent Cornelli

LCD Soundsystem

"In the 3 years since I've seen the band, they've become an even tighter and more powerful live act. Even songs I was not really a fan of on their records were delivered with such focused abandon that it was impossible to not shake a head or foot in timed unison. Stylistically, the songs and band seamlessly weaved in a rich cross-section of record geek "hip" subgenres (disco, electro, hip hop, no wave, new wave, post punk) with a decidedly nyc flair. Murphy takes his talking points in the definitive "Losing My Edge" as both an ironic critique of "hipster" authenticity and a genuine sonic blueprint for his own music and artistic influences" [In This Game a Minute]
LCD Soundsystem and Holy Ghost! finished up their four-night run at Terminal 5 in NYC last night (5/23). They played the venue Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday (there was also an official afterparty at Highline Ballroom on Saturday night). Pictures from the first night, are HERE (where you'll also find Holy Ghost's setlist). Pictures from night two are in this post.

The LCD setlist was exactly the same all four nights. According to Anon 4:33, James "commented on wanting to change up the set list for Sunday, but then said 'fuck it' and didn't. ok." That setlist is below.

And the (UK) numbers are in:

For the first time in 16 years, the Rolling Stones top the U.K. album chart, after their reissued 1972 album "Exile On Main St" (Polydor/Universal) hit No. 1. U.S. hip-hop artist B.O.B. debuted at the singles summit with "Nothing On You" (Rebel Rock/Grand/HustleAtlantic/Warner Music) featuring Bruno Mars...

...long-running favorite dance act, LCD Soundsystem, got a No. 7 debut with "This Is Happening" (DFA) and Alicia Keys' "The Element of Freedom" (J/Sony Music Entertainment) raced 21-8. [Billboard]

Those numbers are not to be confused with the U.S. Nielsen Soundscan numbers - a contest The National scored #3 in, one week earlier. This week's U.S. chart coming soon.

No rest for LCD Soundsystem right now. The band, along with Holy Ghost!, are already playing their next show in Montreal tonight (5/24). This summer they'll hit festivals all over the world. In the U.S. it's Sasquatch (next weekend), Pitchfork, Bonnaroo, and ACL. All dates, more pictures from Friday, videos (including one of the balloons dropping) and the setlist, below...

Holy Ghost!

LCD Soundsystem - I Can Change @ Terminal 5 NYC 5/22/10

LCD Soundsystem live from Terminal 5 (NYC) 05-22-10 "Movement"

all my friends live @ terminal 5. 5/22/2010

LCD Soundsystem live from Terminal 5 (NYC) 05-22-10 "Empire State of Mind" / annoying crowd member / balloons

LCD Soundsystem Balloon Drop Finale Clip 5/23/10 Terminal 5 NYC

07/03/10 London Wireless Festival United Kingdom
07/04/10 belfort les eurockeenes France
07/08/10 Novi Sad Exit Festival Serbia
07/10/10 lisbon Alive Festival Portugal
07/15/10 mariaville camp bisco United States
07/17/10 Chicago Pitchfork Music Festival United States
07/24/10 INCHEON pentaport rock festival Korea (South)
07/26/10 sydney hordern pavilion Australia
07/29/10 melbourne festival hall Australia
07/30/10 belongil fields 'Splendour in the Grass' festival Australia
08/01/10 naeba fuji rock festival Japan
08/11/10 helsinki flow festival Finland
08/12/10 Oslo OYA Festival Norway
08/13/10 gotenberg WAY OUT WEST FESTIVAL Sweden
08/27/10 reading reading festival United Kingdom
08/29/10 leeds leeds festival United Kingdom
09/04/10 stradbally electric picnic Ireland
09/12/10 Isle of Wight BESTIVAL United Kingdom
10/09/10 austin austin city limits festival United States ziker park

saturday was so fucking awesome. holy titballs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:23 AM

How was the after party? I was slated to go and then it was not in the cards. Any insight in what I missed/did not miss would be nice.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:28 AM

"Focused abandon" is an oxymoron.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:30 AM

10:28 you missed a bunch of coke & x

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:31 AM

Holy Ghost is just about the worst band ever. The difference between the Saturday crowd and the Sunday crowd was remarkable; Saturday was swarming with drunken bros who insisted on being as horrible as possible. Sunday though was one of the best experiences of my life

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:46 AM

i know its youtube videos but how were james' vocals? they sound like shit here.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:49 AM

same set list each night is beyond lame

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:52 AM

showed up to night 4 ready to see the 'best live show around' placed myself 2nd row and have never been more disappointed with a band in my life. i don't know if there's a more pompous asshole than james murphy... i thought wayne coyne talked alot between songs. what was that shit about dissing samplers/computers???? and then thinking he was so cool bc his synths have knobs!?! im sorry, but a sampler was definitely used on 'someone great' and he couldn't make any of his music without computers. the crowd up close was nothing but tweens with X's on their hands all wanting to have james' babies (mainly the gay guys). i don't know what cool is, but james murphy is definitely no it.

quit trying to be the next david byrne

and if you don't think every songs the same, then you're obviously ignorant about music. losing my edge was just recycled into get innocuous, and why he would make watch the tapes into an even worse song of drunk girls i havent got a clue.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:57 AM

1057, obvi did too much blow last night and is suffering this am as a result.

im sorry you have a headache and the shakes. do us all a favor and take a quick bump to even yourself out.

then get back to me.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:00 AM

Totally agree with 10:46am. I went on Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.....Sunday was the best crowd of out of those nights and seriously what was up with the mongos/jockies doing at LCD shows...

Go see Limp Bizkit!

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:02 AM

Love LCD but they were stuck on REPEAT for 4 nights in a row, same songs, same "tech problems" balloon drop and Empire state of mind crap ending...too much of a Déjà vu for me, happy i only saw them Thurs. and Sunday...

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:05 AM

Went all four nights. It was all about friday.
Friday was it.
Friday.
FRIDAY.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:12 AM

Thursday the crowd was controlled chaos...much fun...

Posted by doug See | May 24, 2010 11:14 AM

Thank you LCD. And great pics, Vinny!

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:17 AM

10:57 is a knob. "the best live show around"-someones been reading about bands on "the internet" Go back to seeing tokyo police club again, im sure they miss you. a$$clown

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:18 AM

Sunday show was decent (though the guitar player didn't get to rip nearly as much as he did at MHOW). But if you went to all four nights and are disapointed by the lack of setlist change-up...well, if you went to see LCD Soundsystem four nights in a row, you have waaaaaay too much disposable time and money. Give some of both to me.

And if you want a different set list everynight...Phish tour starts soon.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:18 AM

I went to Thurs and Sun and thought the Thurs crowd was significantly better. Lots of x's on hands and broseph shoving on Sunday... which is fine, up to a point. Kinda disappointed in the same setlist every night... during Pow Pow last night Murphy made that comment (worked into the lyrics) about trying to rehearse new songs during soundcheck but saying fuck it.

This is a fantastic live band, but I thought it would be obvious to play different songs at some point over the course of 4 nights. Not as lame as hearing The Eraser straight through, but shouldn't we expect more from a band with 3 well-regarded albums, one of which is a double?

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:19 AM

Posted by C | May 24, 2010 11:20 AM

"Went all four nights. It was all about friday.
Friday was it.
Friday.
FRIDAY."

niiice glad i was there for the best night

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:26 AM

what does an x on someone's hand signify???

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:30 AM

Sound Of Silver needs to be performed in its entirety.

Posted by Heavy Street | May 24, 2010 11:34 AM

That "Empire State of Mind" / annoying crowd member / balloons" YouTube video is hilarious.

It's always nice to get evidence of documented stupidity that goes on at shows. This chick is literally standing in the middle of the crowd having a conversation about Anthony fucking Bourdain during the last song. Awesome.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:36 AM

We went to the show on Sunday and had a blast. My due date was Saturday and since I had a hunch the baby would be late, we got tix and went to the show - stood in the back near the bar with enough room to dance (lightly) and take in the crowd. Maybe it was the fact that I was getting a contact high from the energy of the crowd and band and and enjoying the show, but this was the best I'd seen LCD and I had a blast. (and no, the dancing didn't speed up the labor).

Posted by Annie | May 24, 2010 11:38 AM

I wish you were my mother. I want to be born rockin'. Mommas to be are the shit.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:46 AM

If your due date was Sat I would have went Thur instead...

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:46 AM

does an "x" on someone's hand supposed to mean they're on x?

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:49 AM

x means they are underage. The club does it so they can't drinks.

we bought the tix for Sun on a lark when they added that fourth date. good times.

Posted by Annie | May 24, 2010 11:55 AM

ohhhhh 1149, i see what u did there

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:56 AM

"If your due date was Sat I would have went Thur instead..."

Really??! Who the F cares what you would've done? I don't!

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:59 AM

"I hope they aren't "Losing Their Edge"! It seems like they We're "On Repeat". They also think "Your Citys a Sucker" for going to all 4 shows. I thought it would be awesome with "All My Friends" at the show and even I brought along "Someone Great". I gues it is the trials and "Tribulations" of giving this band "Too Much Love"! I guess I think it is "Time to Get Away" because "Somebody's Calling Me" from "Home"!"

Dear Nerd,
Wow, you are lame!
Sincerely,
Dad

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 12:01 PM

Dad, I see you are on your lunchbreak. Thanks for responding...tell mom to make steak for dinner tonight! :)

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 12:14 PM

Friday's show was fucking AMAZING.

HATERS GONNA HATE.

BTW I did talk to one of the BV photogs in the front row. I forgot his name, but he was a nice guy.

Posted by Justin Leon | May 24, 2010 12:19 PM

Went on Saturday. Band was rocking, show was solid.

The brah pushing was not cool. But there was also brah pushing at Jonsi. It's hard to avoid brah pushing, or any pushing for that matter, and a venue with absolutely horrible sightlines.

Sound was not up to snuff but I didn't care. Security is a bit tight there - they took (some of) my goodies. I don't plan on buying tickets to any more T5 shows.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 12:25 PM

1057 gets it

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 12:49 PM

glad i saw them 3 years ago.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 12:55 PM

They were great 3 years ago and they still are now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 1:01 PM

i was there.

Posted by cityrat | May 24, 2010 1:06 PM

how do we shut down t5? actually?

Posted by friends, | May 24, 2010 1:21 PM

The Friday show proved to me that Terminal 5 is hands down the worst venue in NYC. God I hate that place, it was so oversold that I couldn't find a single place to even view the stage and left before the balloons.

Posted by jimmy | May 24, 2010 1:28 PM

I hate Terminal 5 too, the place is a fire trap! And yes, not many places with a good sightline, particularly if height-challenged.

Posted by popartist | May 24, 2010 2:05 PM

you can't judge the entire crowd by the ten people standing around you. one guy is like "sunday crowd was cool" another disagrees. i went saturday and all the people around me were generally fine and having fun but i'm sure there were some dbags there. its such a silly comment "the crowd sucked on this night but was so amazing another night". as if all the jerks decided to go on saturday and not friday? there's 2k+ at that venue, there's going to be a range of people with different reasons for being there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 2:14 PM

You don't need to be Phish to switch up the setlist.

In fact LCD did a pretty good job switching it up between the Webster Hall and MHOW shows.
Glad I didn't spend the extra money for Sunday now.
Playing the same setlist 4 nights in a row is pretty lame.

And where was Dance yrself Clean?

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 2:48 PM

the laziest man in show business

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 2:53 PM

Dance Yrself Clean
Too Much Love
You Wanted a Hit
North American Scum
On Repeat
Give It Up
Somebody's Calling Me
Too Much Love
Disco Infiltrator

Bye Bye Bayou
Sound of Silver
Home

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:11 PM

pretty sure it would be impossible to get the synths of dance yrself clean to sound right live, and since they're what makes the song, not playing it is a good call.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 3:43 PM

It's awesome when you have songs you can't play live.

BTW, I can't imagine they couldn't pull DYC off as a band.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 4:14 PM

Even if LCD could pull DYC off, Termehinal 5 would poopify it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 4:34 PM

haha, poopify - i heard that was pitchfork's new genre.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 4:35 PM

face it, everyone in nyc is a dbag.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 5:26 PM

This show sucked. The band did nothing to add anything to the songs beyond their album versions, except maybe to strip away any subtlety that might have been there.

All this "best show of the year" hyperbole is a bunch of crap.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 7:46 PM

poop lips

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 8:03 PM

James Murphy just looks plain homeless now.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 8:24 PM

5:26 gets it

i guess that makes james one by default

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 9:03 PM

ok, if they put an "x" on the underage patrons to stop them from being served, couldn't the underage just wash the "x" off?

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:23 PM

listen, when you walk in they check your IDs. If you're over 21 they give you a wristband. If you're under 21 they put x's on your hands with a sharpie type marker. yes, you could scrub it off but you still don't have a wristband.

and the "can't get synths to sound right live" argument is ridiculous. If nothing else, they can just put it on a CD and press play when they need to. Not every single instrument has to be "played" live.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:33 PM

talked to pat mahoney after saturday and he said they're rehearsing DYC but it's not ready

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 10:55 PM

Talked to Pat Methany on Saturday and he said that he's never heard of LCD Soundsystem.

Posted by Anonymous | May 24, 2010 11:34 PM

pat mahoney > pat methany

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 10:58 AM

I don't think LCD uses samples live... I think they make it a point to "perform" all the sounds they play, somehow.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 11:04 AM

Just like the dude from Rage Against The Machine. Keepin' it real, brah.

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 11:20 AM

pat mehoney

Posted by Anonymous | May 25, 2010 11:33 AM

james Murphy needs to switch to low fat hummus

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2010 1:37 PM