Posted in music | tour dates on May 27, 2010

The Morning Benders @ MHOW in April (more by Dominick Mastrangelo)
Morning Benders

The free Yeasayer "Gone to Governors" show at Governors Island is soon! June 5th to be exact. Keepaway and Delicate Steve have been added as openers by the band. It will be the first of many free shows at "The Beach" this summer, only a few of which have been announced yet.

There will probably be a free show on June 12th (save the date), and there will definitely be a free one on Saturday, June 19th which will include sets by The Morning Benders and Freelance Whales (and one more band TBA).

Other announced shows in the free series are Neon Indian on August 14th, and She & Him on the 4th of July (a Sunday). Local Natives on August 7th (a Saturday) will be lumped in with the series, but it costs $10. More coming.

When I first posted about the "Gone to Governors" series, I compared it to Sunday's Jelly Pool Parties. In a way that's true, but not when it comes to show times. The Yeasayer and Neon Indian shows are 6pm doors, 8pm show (Pool Parties were always over by 7pm if I remember correctly). She & Him (on Independence Day) is a 4pm show.

Matinee NYC party for Pride 2010 is happening at the Beach on Governors Island Governors Island on June 26th ("The World's Hottest Party Comes to NYC for the First Time!"). That's a Saturday and it's a pay show, so no "Gone to Governors" on that day (Tickets go on sale at noon).

Rock the Bells NYC, set for August 28th, is another of the recently announced Governors Island shows, but that will be in a larger "venue" on the island (there are three main areas where shows can happen on the island - "The Beach" is where the free shows are).

Grizzly Bear, The Walkmen and Gang Gang Dance play a pay show at the Beach on Thursday, August 12th.

The Morning Benders are currently on tour with Broken Bells. Both bands come to NYC for a sold-out June 5th show at Irving Plaza. Their shows after that include Europe and a pair of SummerStage shows with the Black Keys in July.

which venue is the Grizzly Bear show at?

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2010 12:09 PM

Grizzly Bear is at the Beach, but not free

Posted by brooklynvegan | May 27, 2010 12:12 PM

Freelance Whales are pathetic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2010 5:06 PM

@5:06, I've never heard them before but I'm positive you are much cooler and creatively superior. We should hang out for hours posting negative comments on BV and junk...

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2010 6:50 PM

^ Okay, where and when do you want to meet? I'm kind of busy tonight and have loose plans for the weekend, but nothing that I can't break off if you give me some notice.

Here, watch this shitty video of them to prep for our talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZwzwxA-Sqs

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2010 7:35 PM

thanks for posting that video 7:35. I was expecting something bad but now I think I will go to Gov Island for this show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 27, 2010 7:54 PM

^ Freelance Whales' publicist or an intern at Mom+Pop.

Posted by Anonymous | May 29, 2010 3:33 AM

I agree with 3:33 AM. No one would want to go to see them after viewing that fucking video. For shame. Freelance Whales are basically all of the worst parts of Sufjan Stevens and Death Cab for Cutie rolled into one.

Posted by Anonymous | June 2, 2010 4:27 PM

After canceling a November 16th performance at SUNY Purchase due to back problems, musician Dan Deacon has returned

Posted by شات صوتي | August 17, 2010 5:22 AM

Julian Cope on Mac:

"I gots to tell y’all that when I heard the other day that the Bunnymen’s Ian McCulloch is writing his autobiography, I nearly shat my undies laughing so hard (good job I don’t wear any!); Ian Mac write a book? A man for whom completing a single song on his own is a struggle of Everest the Hard Way proportions is hardly going to write a book. Ian, I’m speechless at your continued arrogance in the face of no evidence whatsoever. In my opinion, you’ve been a dried-up shell of a husk of a man since just after OCEAN RAIN, so don’t embarrass us all with your ludicrous claims that you’re gonna write an autobiography. Two words… No Way. Writing a book involves discipline and hard work, two things you never nailed in the past and never will. As I heard it, you even said in the press that your book will be better than the Bible. Well, in two ways it may well be like the Bible: 1) it’ll be full of half-truths and outright lies, and 2) it’ll have been written by umpteen uncredited writers and you’ll name yourself solely as its author. There you go, dumkopf, I just handed you the map: don’t even bother buying yourself a pen, son; just do what you’ve always done throughout your career; get someone else to do most of the work then claim all the credit yourself. I even have a title already: MAC USER. And with that, I shall sweep off into the Beltane sunset. Yowzah!"

Posted by Youtube | October 26, 2010 7:36 PM

Posted by منتديات | November 9, 2010 7:01 AM

I would have loved to see Rock the Bells. So sick!

Posted by Subway Menu | February 24, 2011 9:48 PM

^ ^ sweet ^ ^

Posted by انمي | March 1, 2011 2:39 AM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================