Posted in music | pictures on May 19, 2010

photos by Greg Cristman

Public Image Limited

"Despite the leather-clad, spikyhaired lookalikes who peppered the audience at Terminal 5 last night, there is only one Johnny Rotten.

Rotten, 54, who these days goes by his given name, John Lydon, is still the brash, politically outspoken, anti-authoritarian punk who assaulted music, first as a Sex Pistol and then by leading the post-punk movement with his other band, Public Image LTD.

This show resurrected PiL after an 18-year New York performance hiatus. And the band's kitchen-sink mix of rock, noise, dance and pop remains as strange and engaging as its frontman." [NY Post]

Public Image Ltd played Terminal 5 in NYC last night (Tueday, 5/18). It was the band's first of two NYC shows. The next is at the smaller Music Hall of Williamsburg tonight (5/19). The reunion tour, which began around Coachella also included a performance on Kimmel. On Monday, the band made their second TV appearance, but this time on Fallon. A video from that, with more Terminal 5 pics and the setlist below....

Public Image Ltd. (PiL) - Religion (Intro) Terminal 5, NYC 5/18/2010

Fallon

I wonder if the sound was any "butter" for PIL then normal. I mean was it "Margirine"ly better? Terminal 5 is unpredictable after all!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 3:00 PM

Where the f is 'CAREERING' on that set list?! Wow, at least I won't be waiting to hear it all night now. Bummer.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 3:17 PM

I got to the show late, while they were playing "Flowers of Romance"....anybody remember what time they came on?

The sound was much better at T5 than it usually is--plenty of volume and lots of low-end for the bass. To the point where ones teeth were rattling a bit!

Posted by Brian | May 19, 2010 3:25 PM

they want on between 8:40 - 8:45

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 3:33 PM

They're really assaulting you with that PIL logo up there.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 3:37 PM

3:17, the British setlist had careering so you may get it tonight if he decides to change things up.

3:00 the sound last night was much better than your average T5 show. It goes to show the sound person and the band catering to the room can really make a difference. Because I've seen both sides of the coin there.

Posted by noamjamski | May 19, 2010 3:43 PM

sounded amazing last night. Loud and full but not muddy. Best sound I've heard at T5

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 3:49 PM

he's a punk

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 4:01 PM

30 bucks for a rotten shirt

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 4:11 PM

I just realized their logo is a pil. Brilliant.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 4:50 PM

Show was great, stop complaining about the cost of the shirt. Your decision, buy it or not. Show was rocking. Sounds was great, want better go download some mp3s

Appreciate we still have PIL around!!

Posted by Left over from the 80s | May 19, 2010 5:13 PM

the sound was indeed amazing, well mixed with an enormous bottom end. i almost forgot I was at T5. i said almost...

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 5:16 PM

I used to have this awesome PIL shirt from when they first came out. It was the Pil logo all pixelated in neon orange and green. it is probably still in the attic at my parent's house. Need to find that thing.

Posted by KC | May 19, 2010 5:20 PM

It was an amazing show for T5 and the room was just an eruption of good times... No people talking over the band or crap, gray-haired women with curls in the midst of the encore mosh, seeing old chubby men sneaking doobies and funky dancing made this show a memorable one...

Posted by CNC | May 19, 2010 5:55 PM

They having their party at Santos Playhouse? Can anyone confirm?

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 7:06 PM

Had to peddle off my two tickets for tonight's MHofW show due to illness. fucking super jealous of anybody that attends tonight. Have a great time bastards!

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 7:10 PM

Wow...no negative comments?

Posted by Anon | May 19, 2010 8:12 PM

Motherfuckers! I saw them in Milwaukee, twice in Chicago, and in Northampton just a few nights ago -- and only NOW, at the 2nd-to-last night of the tour, they add Annalisa and Four Enclosed Walls to the set????!!!!!

Posted by Lemmy | May 19, 2010 9:05 PM

For once I fully enjoyed myself at Terminal 5. They came on at a good hour with no opening act so no one was leaving early pissed, the sound was great, plenty of room to move around. It can't be that hard to make more of their shows like this one.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 9:14 PM

as one of the grey haired old ladies in the mosh pit i have to tell you - i've never felt so young. the band was on fire. they were so together. i love johnny rotten. i love bruce smith. i loved the bass players kilt and stand up big sound bass. they were on for 2 hours and then the encores. thanks for the photos. i can't relive this gig enough. i could have danced all night. oh that's right. i did!

Posted by suzy | May 19, 2010 9:38 PM

t5 needs to hire that soundman.

Posted by Anonymous | May 19, 2010 10:15 PM

FUCKING OFF THE HOOK. My goodness I knew they would be brilliant but I didn't realize it would be some next level shit I had NO IDEA we would be spending those hours listening to tracks I never in a million years thought I would hear live let alone performed with such an intense fucking PASSION that it would remind me what PROPER FUCKING GOOD MUSIC should be. I REQUIRE NEXT LEVEL SHIT. So FUCK OFF GUNS 'N' ROSES YOU FUCKING CUNTS! YOU'RE THE WORST BAND EVER!!
Brilliant show and we found an area on the 3rd floor (which we knew from when that stupid Terminal 5 was EXIT) where we could see the entire stage perfectly and not be stuck with the seemingly endless supply of bizarre people who were actually attempting to slam dance which was always fucking stupid if you ask me (at 50 mind you without a fucking helmet!) simultaneously dancing like a bunch of FUCKING HIPPIES too WTF. GOD I fucking hate how stupid people are, but nothing beat the pair of 20 year old sluts in matching ripped stockings to go with their 'punk' outfits, I can almost hear the conversation while getting ready to come to the show... What were they doing there anyway? Maybe their dad owns it there's no way they came to listen to Annalisa

Posted by Dj Uri Dalal | May 20, 2010 8:57 AM

can you imagine that face buried into your vagina? intense

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:17 AM

Great show!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:36 AM

Best set at Coachella - they blew everyone away.

Posted by craig | May 20, 2010 11:42 AM

10:15 - SO DAMN RIGHT! Best sound I have heard there, no wonder Johnny spent the last two minutes on stage demanding he stand up for applause. It annoys me I forgot his name. LoL

Posted by CNC | May 20, 2010 12:05 PM

12:05PM:

The soundman's name was Walter and he was marvelous. Best sound at a concert ANYWHERE, in a long time. The fact that it was at T5 shows that great sound can happen where great people are working. I've seen PiL five times (four prior to 1981) and this was one of, if not the, best of them all. No one will ever replace Jah Wobble but it was still magnificent. WAY better than the Sex Pistols reunion shows that I sat through.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 12:52 PM

i just saw the photos. i was told that the lighting was only from the back. the photos are fine. the colors from the lighting give a good sense of the show. clear and concise. nice job to greg c. i wish i was at the show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 3:24 PM

5:30...
it was a joke, johnny rotten, rotten shirt... sheeessh

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 3:25 PM

To Suzy & 3:24-

Thank you for the kind words- glad you like the photos.

greg C

Posted by Greg Cristman | May 20, 2010 4:29 PM

Not one song off of Happy? That really surprised me. I loved that record in high school.

Posted by Jason | May 26, 2010 12:49 PM

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were really good albums. Got them when they came out, still throw them on at times and think they're great. It saddens me when I hear bands from that era when I was a teenager and hear their new stuff and it's so clear how they've lost it, they sound desperate to recapture a sound/magic that they haven't had in 15 years (holy shit).... And then I realize that is not unlike a lot of us.

Posted by منتديات | January 22, 2011 8:01 AM

Posted by Forum | April 2, 2013 5:51 AM

They discuss the changes that social networks have brought to all areas of the law, including evidence gathering; what evidence is admissible in courts; how social media can affect the right to a fair trial; and the right to control one’s image.

Posted by Grow Your Business | June 29, 2013 3:58 PM