Posted in music on May 20, 2010

"Was the pope a nazi? Yes the pope was a nazi" - Johnny Rotten

PiL @ MHOW - 5/19/2010 (Brooklyn365)
Pil

"Hey. We were dancing next to each other for basically the entire Public Image Ltd. (PIL) concert at the Music Hall of Williamsburg on Weds night. You were wearing a plaid dress and had blonde hair, I was wearing a fake leather jacket and a grey hoodie, with longer brown hair. I wanted to ask for you number but didn't want to piss the dude you were with off. If you want to hang out, listen to some records and talk about how amazing the show was, I am down." [Dancing to Public Image Limited - PIL at Music Hall of Williamsburg - m4w (Williamsburg)]
As that guy points out, it was an amazing 2 hour and 20 minute, tour-ending PiL show at Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn on Wednesday night (5/19). Johnny Rotten was on fire. The band was great, as was the venue. I can't wait to see the footage they were filming for the "forthcoming PiL documentary directed by Alex Mar and produced by Artists Public Domain".

Check out the pics and setlist from the night before at Terminal 5. And some videos from T5 below...

Religion - Public Image Limited (Pil) @Terminal 5 NYC 5-18-10

Tie Me to the Length of that - Pil @Terminal 5 NYC 5-18-10

Ana Lisa- Pil @Terminal 5 NYC 5-18-10

"hangout" is code for I will cum inside your orifice.

Posted by MyGawd | May 20, 2010 5:48 AM

Well, that is a bit uncalled for.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 7:09 AM

I don't think Johnny Rotten ever played in PiL...

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 7:22 AM

Any setlist changes?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 8:22 AM

@7:22: Pedant.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 8:49 AM

Best cash-in reunion tour since Gang of Four in 2005. Now, time for new music.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 8:54 AM

"Best cash-in reunion tour since Gang of Four in 2005. Now, time for new music."

Hardly a "reunion" as 2 members are entirely new and none except Lydon played in the original lineup. "cash-in"? I'm sure Lydon made a lot of money, but bankrolling a tour like this doesn't come cheap and a lot of shows were nowhere near sold out.

I'll take PiL's "old" music any day of the week. sounds a lot better
than the piles of crap that passes for contemporary rock these days.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 9:44 AM

@9:44am

Sorry to be a trainspotter, but only Scott Firth, the bassist, is entirely new. Lu Edmonds toured and recorded with PiL from '86 to '88, and Bruce Smith toured and recorded with PiL from '86 to '89.

I saw them 4 times on this tour, and in my 25+ years of active concert-going I've never seen a band play at such a consistently high level. Normally when I see a band multiple times I can easily pick out the strongest and weakest performances. With PiL, the performances were excellent-to-amazing, and the only real differences in quality from gig to gig were down to the audiences, which ranged from great to lame. How people can just stand there and not dance as those MONSTER dubwise basslines are rolling off the stage all night is beyond me.

Posted by Lemmy | May 20, 2010 9:55 AM

John Lydon is a creep!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 9:59 AM

alex marr is a creep

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:09 AM

how was volume at mhow?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:13 AM

This show was INCREDIBLE.

Best live rock since Jesus Lizard earlier this year.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:17 AM

Also 7:22...don't be a cunt. Lydon referred to HIMSELF as Johnny Rotten last night.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:22 AM

Hey dickwad - just because you dance next to a girl and she keeps dancing doesn't mean she wants you (or wants you bumping into her)...

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:23 AM

Lemmy is spot on. The show at T5 was AMAZING and the crowd SUPER LAME! No one moved until "Warrior" practically while the band worked their asses off onstage storming through Poptones, Ana Lisa, etc... The audience at MHOW was much better but nowhere near as I was expecting them to react to the amazing set...

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:26 AM

May 20, 2010 7:22 AM:
He referred to himself as "Johnny Rotten" at the T5 show. Quit being a douche.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:31 AM

he seems to go back and forth now between the two names.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:39 AM

Johnny Rotten is total fucking prick and THAT is why we love him.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:40 AM

I was at both shows as well, but wouldn't call the audience lame at T5. there were a lot of older folks like myself and while I was totally into the show, sometimes, even with a great band/set you just can't always move/jump about like you did when you were younger.

a mixed crowd at both shows, prob a bit younger at WHoM. no there wasn't a full throttle mosh pit, but everyone when home happy to have seen these shows.

sound at T5 was exceptional as mentioned.

blistering rendition of of "religion' to end the main set. too many highlights to mention. it was that good.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:53 AM

these shows were awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:54 AM

The ability to "dance" in the very tight confines of a sold-out standing room club show is somewhat objective.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 10:59 AM

Well, actually he called himself "Johnny Rotten" sarcastically so you can take it or leave.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:03 AM

Why did you take that as sarcasm? He called himself Rotten. Whats the problem?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:07 AM

Johnny Rotten at Music Hall of Williamsburg
Wow, wonderful it's it. :)
Rock and pop as well.

Posted by Paul | May 20, 2010 11:08 AM

Pavement is the biggest cash in tour.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:15 AM

Everything Lydon says is sarcastic.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM

out of tune vocals, walking around stage, lame drummer, boring cord changes and this is the most high energy show you have seen. lame

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:18 AM

Open up your mind The speed of the music and the movements on stage do not have to be of a typically fast speed for something to be high energy. If the feeling is there and the mood in the room is right, slow music can be much more high energy than empty sucky speed shit

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:37 AM

Best shows I've seen in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:38 AM

PIL is not slow music.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:39 AM

powerful sneering stuff from Mr. Lydon/Rotten

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:41 AM

Hey @11:18am, Congrats you are an amazingly stupid person.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 11:47 AM

I was at the T5 show and have to agree somewhat with 11:18--the band sounded great, but as a live experience, the performance felt rather flat. Whatever it was that made me love PiL 20+ years ago, just didn't resonate with me anymore and the music, frankly, did bore me at times.

It met the expectations of a reunion/nostalgia show, but did not exceed those expectations in any way. Solid, but not earth-shattering.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 12:22 PM

There was nothing remotely "out of tune" about his voice at the T5 show.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 12:28 PM

12:22: Maybe, just possibly you're not the same person you were 20 plus years ago?

If you approach a concert looking to have the same experience you had when you were two decades younger, of course you are going to be disappointed. You've obviously grown up, now you need to just realize it. Enjoying things differently is the only way to do it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 12:42 PM

@12:22 -- yes, that's certainly it. : )

Thing is, I wasn't looking to recreate some past experience or engage in a big nostalgia trip--the band just didn't do it for me in the here-and-now, whereas many of the older bands I've seen back in the day and today still do. Purely a personal thing--not a critique of Lydon and co.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 12:55 PM

12:22, were we at the same show? the T5 concert was amazing, best I've seen in years.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 1:02 PM

will PiL come back to US again?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 1:10 PM

i dunno what show you went to, but there wuz plenty peeps dancing up front, oldsta's & youngsta's, @ T5. & there wuz def a mosh pit down front. a most enjoyable return to NY. can i get a setlist for the brooklyn show? thanks

Posted by denise | May 20, 2010 1:10 PM

The Brooklyn show was about twenty minutes longer than Terminal 5, so there must have been a few more songs.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 1:19 PM

Setlist for Brooklyn?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 1:35 PM

I wept at one point. It was beautiful.(MHOW)

Posted by Rose | May 20, 2010 1:55 PM

i was molested by a priest that looks like the pope.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 2:25 PM

Johnny wept at one point, after "Death Disco". The MHOW show dragged a bit in the middle but had some really brilliant performances early (Annalisa, Poptones) and late (Bags, Death Disco). Really the only bummer was how blown-out the sound got at the end of the encore - Public Image and Rise sounded great but the last song made my poor ears bleed.

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 4:58 PM

He said something to the effect of "These songs are deeply deeply personal for me, thanks for being patient".

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 5:06 PM

Amazing. Now how do we get the Sex Pistols to play Warsaw?

Posted by Anonymous | May 20, 2010 5:06 PM

T5 show was great! Im only 23 and in high school I got into punk rock and started listening to the Sex Pistols. Then I got into PIL and I thought it was so much better. From everything I had heard about PIL is pretty much what I got from the T5 show the other night. The crowd was much older (as I expected). Maybe most of these people were punks back in the day, and now they had come out of the woodward to re-live some old memories while bringing their spouses and such. It was a little dissapointing that they didn't get into the music as much as I did, but I surely never expected a rockuss crowd. As for the band, the music was great. I have never felt such a deep bass in my life, it felt like being trapped inside a bass drum but in a good way. Lydon was really pumped and energetic from start to finish. I've seen tons of his performances in film, I saw him live during the 2004 Pistols reunion tour, but this show I could tell by his facial expression ect. that he truely had a deep passion for the music that night. It was just really cool for me to hear the rich sounding PIL music played live after so many years of just hearing recordings. Thank you John Lydon!

Posted by Ben | May 20, 2010 5:57 PM

I am praying they come back in the fall or early next year...as I just found out about these shows today. I am really bummed to have missed these shows, the setlist was amazing!

Posted by missedtheboat | May 20, 2010 11:12 PM

Did some guy really ask a chick out here?! Wow dude.
I was at the Williamsburg and I gotta tell ya the show was kind of a sleeper. I bought every PIL album up to Happy and only recognized about three songs until I left early after a boring show. Nobody danced. No one sang along. It was me the young 37 year old and a bunch of still old folks. Did the show pick up after awhile?

Posted by Bj | May 21, 2010 2:20 AM

@ Bj, have you seen the setlist? if you only recognized about three songs, you are absolutely NOT a fan. i'm happy you left early & missed an amazing gig.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2010 10:51 AM

It's PiL, not PIL.

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2010 11:21 AM

pIl

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2010 11:32 AM

pil

Posted by Anonymous | May 21, 2010 11:32 AM

public iMEHge limited

Posted by Anonymous | May 23, 2010 11:34 PM

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were really good albums. Got them when they came out, still throw them on at times and think they're great. It saddens me when I hear bands from that era when I was a teenager and hear their new stuff and it's so clear how they've lost it, they sound desperate to recapture a sound/magic that they haven't had in 15 years (holy shit).... And then I realize that is not unlike a lot of us.

Posted by منتديات | January 22, 2011 8:01 AM