Posted in music | pictures on May 2, 2010

by Chris La Putt

Tragedy

On January 28th, Tragedy (the all-metal Bee Gees tribute band), was slated to perform at Maxwell's in Hoboken but was abruptly cancelled. Rumors of band break-up were confirmed when it was announced in March that their last show would take place at the Bowery Ballroom on March 12th. I've never had the Tragedy experience before and thought it best to at least document it. I arrived early to see the Blondest (a Blondie cover band), Les Sans Culottes (a faux French Brooklyn-based band), and the Upper Crust (an aristocratic hard rock band dressed in period wigs and costume). It was bemusing display of outlandishment but all three bands paled in comparison to Tragedy and their resplendent metal debauchery of the Gibb brothers' music.

For the encore, Moby arrives and plays a coruscating melody on a sparkling Gibson Flying V. Tragedy's lead singer strips off his immaculate disco suit and displays to the crowd a one-piece string mankini barely covering his package and butt crack. The band's cover of Donna Summer's Hot Stuff reverberates throughout Bowery. As the barely clothed lead singer moons the crowd, a girl near me lays her hand on his ass cheeks and plays them as if they are some hairy bongo drums.

Tragedy is gone, but its members are still keeping busy. In fact, Tragedy Phil and Moby have formed a new rock band with Dave Hill called Diamondnsake (catch them at Highlline Ballroom on June 17th).

More pictures from the epic Bowery Ballroom show can be seen below:

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

The Blondest

Moby

Tragedy

WoW... I waited to see review and footage of this long ago after I was there... This is quite a surprise tonight...

Amazing Show... Got pulled on stage with my friend, too bad I am not in any of the shots... All the acts were quality, so sad to see them gone...

Posted by CNC | May 2, 2010 10:32 PM

Yuck.

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2010 10:37 PM

not underground enough, sorry!

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2010 11:32 PM

gross

Posted by Anonymous | May 2, 2010 11:41 PM

upper crust is the best ac/dc cover band that doesnt play ac/dc tunes

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2010 1:01 AM

"It was bemusing display of outlandishment"

sometimes you try to gain control of the english language, but a wild beast cannot be tamed.

Did Mike Tyson write this review?

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2010 9:05 AM

clearly the sarcasm is lost on 9:05.

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2010 9:48 AM

female nsfw > male nsfw

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2010 9:53 AM

jake's ballz

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2010 10:25 AM

9:48, what is this sarcasm you speak of?

all i see is a big made up word in a grammatically flawed sentence

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2010 11:12 AM

all i see is jake's big ass balls (and moby's shiny head).

Posted by Anonymous | May 3, 2010 7:15 PM

That moron Jake isn't the lead singer! Couldn't this "reporter" tell that Jake can neither sing or play any instrument. His only talent is being a giant douche. He certainly does that extremely well.

Posted by Trendsetter | May 4, 2010 7:03 PM

That's the real Tragedy of this band. Dummies couldn't even tell that that dummy Jake wasn't even singing... because he is talent-less, and was obviously only in the band because he's a promoter.

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2010 8:01 PM

It looks like some people are really jealous of Jake, simply because they lack his balls (or the ability to show them)!

Ditto for the criticism of Chris LaPutt--apparently some people are jealous of a reviewer who can use the word "corsucating" so well in a sentence!

If they are really, really jealous, maybe these anonymous commentators will grace us with some more transparently vituperative blather.

Posted by Special C | May 4, 2010 8:31 PM

Why would I be jealous of a giant douche like Jake? Believe me, I have his balls. I perform publicly too, but unlike him I don't just mouth words that are unamplified, etc. The guy is a complete jackass both on and off the stage, but if he turns you on in that picture don't let me come between two.

Posted by Trendsetter | May 4, 2010 8:34 PM

So lame, Special C. The idea that no one could sincerely dislike that talentless dipshit, Jake, without being jealous!

Posted by Trendsetter | May 4, 2010 8:37 PM

I love how Special C doesn't even address the fact that Jake can't sing or play any instruments. There was absolutely no reason at all for him to be onstage other than to satisfy his own narcissistic ideas about himself.

Posted by Jakehater | May 4, 2010 8:39 PM

Also, he obviously has a small cock.

Posted by Anonymous | May 4, 2010 11:46 PM

I loved Tragedy. The only weakness was the fact that the 'lead singer' is not actually a musician. He lip syncs and plays a fake guitar. Super lame. I was kinda embarrassed for him. But again, love the actual band!

Posted by anonymous | May 5, 2010 12:00 AM

A-holes.

You've completely missed the point. Tragedy is a total spectacle and the ridiculousness of the "Frontman" not singing is totally intentional. That's part of the schtick. I've seen them several times and it's hysterical and fun. They make no bones about the fact that he doesn't do anything.

You guys are jealous b/c your bands suck and would never sell out Bowery Ballroom.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2010 4:40 PM

First of all, I never said that Tragedy was trying to pull a fast one. I said that the guy who wrote the article referred to Jake as the lead singer when he in fact is a talentless moron.

Did you ever stop to consider that I know more about this than you and that I know that it was Jake's enormous ego that put him in the "Frontman" slot and not the great comedic value that you find in it?

As far my band sucking goes -- you don't even know what my music sounds like! So way to go! I will have you know that I have fans all over the world. But I didn't know that selling out Bowery Ballroom was the ultimate criterion for judging quality. And I didn't criticize Tragedy's music. I criticized Jake. Evidently you cannot see the difference because are a complete imbecile.

You are as much a douche as Jake is -- that is if you're not Jake. In that case you are exactly as much of a douce as Jake is.

Posted by Trendsetter | May 5, 2010 5:25 PM

I was there one night when Jake kicked a girl in the audience in the face. Hilarious (if you're a total douche like Anonymous up there). He also spit beer on a friend of mine -- also a complete laugh riot -- if you're a moron.

And I have known people who have seen Tragedy who did NOT know that Jake was lip-syncing so I wouldn't say that Jake goes out of his way to let that be known.

Posted by Jakehater | May 5, 2010 5:33 PM

Suggesting that anyone is jealous of Jake or Tragedy is wildly off the mark. Jake is a clear and obvious douchebag with no talent and a small cock who was in that band because he was a promoter. End of story. It doesn't matter if this or that person who knows that is in a band or isn't in a band that has or hasn't sold out Bowery Ballroom. He's an idiot. It may have been part of the schtick, but that's like saying a joker is part of a deck of cards. It's a superfluous waste... just like Jake. He never would have been in the band except for his ability to book them on gigs they never would have gotten without him. This is common knowledge.

The sheer fact that this many people know what a tool he is should be telling in and of itself. People don't like the guy, and for good reason. I've known Jake since the Wetlands days. He was a relatively harmless douchebag then. Now he has a company that makes a lot of money booking bands and taking advantage of them, so he can throw his (considerable) weight around. A lot more people in the industry would have a lot more to say openly about Jake if their careers couldn't be affected by saying it.

Posted by Anonymous | May 5, 2010 11:23 PM

So the truth comes out. You are all a bunch of a-holes in shitty bands that Jake would never book in a million years. So now you're trying to take the piss out of someone b/c he is successful and you're not. You have "fans" from "all around the world" because someone from Armenia made a comment on your myspace page saying they dig your tunes when it was really probably just some myspace bot, just like your myspace bot that adds random people and then you call them "fans." You suck. I don't know much about "the industry" but I would surmise that the only people in the "industry" that hate him are people like you -- the shitty bands that he won't book because YOU SUCK.

Posted by Anonymous | May 6, 2010 5:59 PM

Yeah, this is obviously Jake responding. It's pretty pathetic that he's defending himself like this and that this many people hate him. Jake, you're a fat, small-dicked, talent-less turd. You have been for years. You lose.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2010 3:40 PM

I am not Jake. I have met Jake a few times at the merch table, and friends of mine are in bands he has booked.

You are a douche.

Posted by Anonymous | May 7, 2010 7:05 PM

I hope all you guys realize a few things:

1. This is a T R I B U T E band. It's MEANT to be comedic. The fact that Jake doesn't play guitar or sing just makes it THAT much funnier! Duh!

2. Just b/c Jake happens to run a successful promotion company doesn't necessarily equate to anything. There's a *reason* why they've traveled the world, shared the stage w/ bands like Motorhead, Electric Six, Aquabats & the Wildhearts, and hold the record for any artist playing Irving Plaza in one year: Because people love them... another 'duh!'

3. I don't know the guy too well but I can tell you that I've heard from scores of ladies around town that he's, um, how do you say "good to go in the meat factory" if you catch my drift.

4. Re: Your "lame ass bands not having fans" ...maybe you should consider trying to do something super fun & innovative like Tragedy and you won't be so 'musically frustrated'... just a thought ;)

VIVA LA TRAGEDY!