Posted in music | pictures on June 25, 2010

photos by Jessica Amaya

"I wish more nights would end with Au Revoir Simone
cooing a cover of Summer of 69'" - Wesley Barrow

Warsaw

Au Revoir Simone, The Hundred in the Hands and CALLmeKat played a Northside Festival show at Warsaw in Brooklyn last night (6/24). More pictures from the gig below...

CALLmeKAT

Warsaw

The Hundred in the Hands...

Au Revoir Simone...

I like girls.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 10:08 AM

too rousing

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 10:23 AM

how were 100 in the hands? i am curious about them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 10:52 AM

100 in the hands had good music, but it seemed really canned live.

Posted by billy | June 25, 2010 10:59 AM

no! not canned at all! guitarist was insane and the singer amazing!

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 11:14 AM

That quote is wrong, I mean the sentiment is right, but the song was not Summer of 69 but Boys of Summer

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 11:14 AM

seemed a little weird for au revoir simone to be covering bryan adams.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 11:18 AM

@11:14 I agree. I mean maybe live drums would change that perception. I picked up the 6 song EP on vinyl at the show from them and can't wait to play it this weekend.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 11:18 AM

Saw 100 in the H a week or so ago and thought they were pretty bad. I like the new record, but live the dude seems to feel the need to suck all the melody out of the songs by drenching them in grating guitar noise (not that I'm against guitar noise in the right context) - maybe it was just the mix at the club I saw them at. Still, I have to agree with 10:59 the performance was pretty lifeless and also with 11:18 - a live drummer (and maybe bass too) would probably help a lot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 11:30 AM

This show was awful! Mainly because the sound quality was terrible. I'm never going back there for a show ever again.
I do like Au revoir simone, but last night I had to leave that place!

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 12:53 PM

yeah... sound wasnt too hot. And hundred in the hand had pretty rockin music, and while it was still plenty fun live- watching someone play guitar over top of a song isnt that interesting.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 12:58 PM

she's got legs. she knows how to use them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 1:23 PM

100 in the hands was amazing, I didn't know anything about them before this show. They won me over immediately. Incredibly fun set. ARS made a comment during their set about their live music not being canned, don’t’ know if that was a slam at any of their opening acts, or if they were defending any prior criticism about themselves.

ARS had awful sound quality 20% of the time, otherwise they were effective at delivering their pretty consistently awesome body of work for roughly 70 mins. The blonde girl in ARS ran off to talk to what looked like her boyfriend in the middle of the set about twice. This is the musical equivalent of texting while driving. For that alone, Give their Show a B+, and give 100 Hands an A for being so fun, and bringing along a GREAT sound system that properly showcased their music. I can’t wait to see 100 in the hands again…

I could barely hear what ARS said during their banter between songs (again, bad sound system), but I thought she said they were covering Blur, not Bryan Adams? Maybe I’m wrong.

Having only seen a few photos of ARS in the past, I was surprised at how different they looked compared to the photos I have seen (dorky but charming), they look completely made over, and pretty stunning. One of the girls had a magnetic smile throughout. Good to see a band with quality music making progress, but I think their current look will put them over the top in terms of their further success.

Crowd was okay, a few drunks ruined the experience for people in their proximity, but otherwise a solid crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 1:54 PM

setlists?

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 2:27 PM

Sound was terrible.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 3:04 PM

Just to add to my post @ 1:54 pm

I met 100 in the hands at the merch booth after the ARS set, they were so considerate and nice. I know they will inevitably be compared to Crystal Castles, but Alice Glass is an awful person, even though her partner in the band is pretty nice. 100 in the hands came off as extremely gracious, warm and likable. I hope their first LP is fantastic.

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 3:53 PM

If you have to take your heels off midshow because they are uncomfortable, don't wear heels to perform in.

Posted by LKJ | June 25, 2010 8:17 PM

i got the impression that each band brought their own sound equipment. it didn't seem like warsaw had its own sound system. 100 in the h brought the best sound quality.

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2010 7:38 AM

CallMeKat was very good

Posted by Anonymous | June 26, 2010 8:25 PM

They all brought their own iPods too. iPods were awesome last night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2010 3:12 AM

@ 8:17
thats why she took them off

Posted by Anonymous | June 27, 2010 3:57 PM