Posted in music | pictures on June 20, 2010

photos by Andrew St. Clair

Band of Horses

"Friday I worked until 6 and after went to Grand Central Station to try to catch a free Band of Horses concert, but of course by the time I got there it was full, so I hung around outside for a while trying to listen, but I couldn't hear too well so I left. Huge bummer, I would have loved to see them. Then I met up with my friend and we walked around the East Village, hung out on the roof of her apartment, and went and got Peruvian food- it was verrrrry yummy." [Forever Young]
As I type this, Band of Horses have already finished playing their Sunday night headlining set at Williamsburg Waterfront in Brooklyn (and their Saturday night set in Toronto), but this post is about their Friday evening AOL pop-up show at Grand Central. Some more pictures, officially & unofficially shot video (including an interview) & the setlist from that one, below...

Compliments

Factory

Interview

Band of Horses- The Funeral (Grand Central Terminal, NYC 06/18/10)

Monsters

Laredo
Writers
No One's Gonna Love You
Infinite Arms
Monsters
The Funeral

Nothing like shooting the ceiling of Grand Central for six minutes. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 20, 2010 11:47 PM

^^^^probably shot by a confused Hanson fan

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:04 AM

Quick Question.

HOW THE FUCK DID PEOPLE MAKE THEIR TRAINS WHILE THIS SHIT WAS GOING ON?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:07 AM

This show was such bullshit. Whoever decided to build up an elevated press box in the middle of the room was fucking retarded, no one in the back half of the room could see anything, unless you squinted between a photographers legs. I stayed for two songs and then left. They should have at least elevated the band more than 3 feet, what a waste of time.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:12 AM

Agreed, 12:12! You wait on a line for a two hours, only to be forced to stand behind risers full of press, sound & video equipment, while the 'VIPs' get to stand in front of them and actually see the band? While normal fans only got to hear the band, and quite frankly, they sounded like shit in the terminal.

The press got screwed, too. I talked to two photographers who were not happy because they were made to shoot 30 meters away from the band instead hanging in a photo pit. It's not a surprise that AOL organized the concert because the entire thing was poorly planned.

Fuck AOL. Seriously.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:29 AM

"Huge bummer, I would have loved to see them. Then I met up with my friend and we walked around the East Village, hung out on the roof of her apartment, and went and got Peruvian food- it was verrrrry yummy."

What a faggot. They should do me a favor and kill themselves.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:31 AM

White yuppies love NYC roofs! I mean, what's better than hanging out on a roof!

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:33 AM

you can officially stick a fork in indie rock now, it is dead.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:37 AM

The thought of seeing a music act in Grand Central at the height of rush hour seems like a nightmare to me.

I think probably Grand Central's security protocol got in the way of photographers. Glad I wasn't there.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:59 AM

"while the 'VIPs' get to stand in front of them and actually see the band? While normal fans only got to hear the band, and quite frankly, they sounded like shit in the terminal."

You are mistaken my good idiot. Unfortunately for you, you either got on line too late or you got screwed by the columbia records interns and aol workers who were bringing their friends into the viewing area. They let the first 275 "normal" fans who got there early enough on line into that area. Next time get there earlier fucknut.

Agreed on the sound although the giant echoed cavern sort of gave the songs a little bigger feel in a weird way.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:10 AM

the setup was surreal. You couldn't see anything from the middle to the back. They had the floor area in the pictures and then they had this elevated ramp with a video camera and VIP and some press standing on the ramp so it was impossible to see past that. This ramp was probably 1/3 of the way into Vanderbilt Hall, so 2/3 of the space couldn't see anything.
Actually it seems to me that this picture was from the ramp facing backwards. http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/bandofhorses/grandcentral/atmosphere/14.jpg. Other pictures like this one were taken from the ramp going forward http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/bandofhorses/grandcentral/5.jpg.

You can clearly see there are waaay more people behind the ramp and none of those people could see anything. They waited on line for 2 hours and they go inside and they can't see a single thing. Needless to say, many left pretty quickly. Maybe 15 minutes in, that part was half empty and there was space for hundreds more but they still didn't let in the people standing outside hoping to get in. Why they put up that ramp in a way that the majority of the people couldnt see anything, i dont know.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:24 AM

i guess i dont know how to link to pictures on the page. The picture from the ramp going backwards is three up from the bottom, and the picture going forwards is any picture you can see the band in, such as the bottommost one.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:27 AM

Grand MEHntral Station

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:26 AM

You put periods at the end of the links... which is why they aren't working.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:26 AM

Why in the name of god is that blathering from the "Forever Young" blog quoted in this entry?

Also: Band of Horses rules, what does indie "rock" have to do with it, Anonymous @ 12:37?

Posted by Steve | June 21, 2010 3:33 AM

i love when people complain about FREE shows sucking. fucking ingrates.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 8:14 AM

8:14 word!

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 8:34 AM

while i'm not one to typically complain about free shows, the fact that this was staged in grand central during fucking RUSH HOUR to me meant there would be plenty to complain about. so i just skipped it.

besides, i'm 29... and by the looks of these pics, it appears that i'm about 6 years too old to be standing in line for free shows in nyc. christ. oh well. at least i had a good run. but you know you're getting old when the idea of paying for a show sounds more appealing than spending 4 hours in line for a 20-minute free show. (i know, this show was longer, but that's usually not the case.)

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 8:53 AM

People who bitch about people bitching about free shows (yes, you 8:14 & & 8:34) must make minimum wage because I value my time a lot more then you two.

If getting in to see the show means I have to wait in a 2 hour line, that's pretty much the same to me as buying a mid-priced ticket, and I'll be reviewing and commenting on it as such.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 9:13 AM

9:13 you can still buy a ticket and have to wait around for 2 hours if you want to be upfront. I value my time but I also take it for what it is worth. Maybe you could have got into the show only getting there 45 minutes early? Really I don't know. I have gone to many free shows though where I don't have to wait for hours. I have also gone to shows where I have to wait around and I understand and it is what it is...

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 9:27 AM

The new Band of Horses album is garbage. So sad as I loved their first 2.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 9:30 AM

9:30 how many times did you listen to it before you dismissed it? I didn't like it on the first few listens but it is growing on me now...I think this takes a few listens to sink in.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 9:38 AM

9:13, your logic is shit, and you're clearly a young, inexperienced, entitled schmuck. And by the way, I make six figures. Thanks for playing.

Posted by 8:14 | June 21, 2010 9:44 AM

Band of Horses new album does indeed suck (and the ones before that weren't too amazing either). They should go on tour with Midlake and play to people with insomnia - a surefire cure.

Posted by Band of Boreses | June 21, 2010 10:06 AM

this show should never have been allowed to happen on public property.

free? are you fucking kidding? this was a huge advertisement. how much do you think the State had to pay to facilitate this grotesque display?

your tax dollars at work, supporting a bourgeois lifestyle brand.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 10:36 AM

dude looks like a real jackass in that cowboy hat

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 10:41 AM

last two songs worth the wait?
btw: guy in pic #3 message me

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 10:50 AM

i hate music and people and trains so I am glad I didn't attend.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 10:51 AM

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzv

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 10:53 AM

Obviously tax dollars didn't have to pay for this... AOL paid for it, and you're an idiot if you think a company would pay for a free show, hand out free shit & not slap their logo on something - I didn't see any corporate branding on stage or in any of the press shots - so i think you're just being a whiney bitch.

it was a great, free show (even though i agree, and wish the stage was raised higher for us in the back) - nice to catch a show in such a unique venue.

Posted by J. | June 21, 2010 11:00 AM

I showed up early, got a free shirt and screen-printed poster when the doors opened, and watched the band from the front row. They played for over an hour. Other than the douchey AOL people shoving Flip cams in everyone's face before and after, it was a great show.

If you had a bad experience, it's because you showed up too late to the FREEEE show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 11:02 AM

9:13 wins. Free shows, especially lately are just not worth it. They're almost always overcrowded and insanely time consuming because you're waiting in line forever. I'll gladly pay $ to not deal with that shit.

For example, the Band of Horses show last night a the waterfront. Showed up right when Grizzly Bear started, walked right in, saw and heard the entire thing no problem and enjoyed the show. If that was a free show, I'd have had to have been in line for hours before the show started before getting smashed into some packed crowd, maybe half of which actually cared about who was playing. Fuck that. Happy to pay.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 11:10 AM

the one thing that is less relevant than aol is boh

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 11:14 AM

Grand Central Station is irrelevant as shit.

Trains? We might as well go back to horse and buggy.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 11:16 AM

aol advertising gets to disrupt the commutes of thousands

all for yuppie wallpaper music

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 11:29 AM

Btw, the event was actually held in the Vanderbilt Hall which is easily closed off and separate from the main train traffic area. They have exhibitions and temporary vendors in this area on occasion. You do not need to walk through here to take a train. That said, the whiners about it being in GCT during rush hour should... stop using rush hour as a complain.... I'd definitely go see a show here.... but never BOH because they just do not rock...

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 11:44 AM

dear blonde girl with oversized glasses and grey tshirt in 2nd pic,
i <3 u foreva

xoxo,
mr. merkin

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:00 PM

I wish girls would realize that oversized glasses make them look legitimately retarded.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:07 PM

Why are there so many haters on here? This concert was a shot at something different...a bigger concept. If you don't like them, why bother listening or commenting? Do you feel the need to spread negativity and nonconstructive comments? Bitchy/Whiny contributions are elementary and pointless. Come up with meaningful exchange or solutions...if not...shut it...no one cares how cool you think you are.

as for the "guy in pic #3", he is spoken for thanks

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:27 PM

yes, 12:27 is right. nothing good has ever come out of criticizing things.

just look at nazi germany. nobody brought up any dissenting opinions and everything turned out great!

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:32 PM

Totally relevant comparison.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 12:44 PM

There wouldn't be punk rock if nobody hated the hippies... Just sayin....

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:46 PM

Totally relevant comparison 2.

Posted by 2ndAnonymous | June 21, 2010 1:59 PM

it seems like the show was perfect timing for all the corporate types getting out of their shitty jobs to catch the show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 6:13 PM

Hah, I guess unlike all the people who got in line too late I got a real up close view. It pays to wait. Great show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2010 2:11 AM

Here is a little negativity for you.

Mr merkin@12p, you are in love with a really plain nothing special looking girl. You must be a fugly motherfucker

Also, speaking of fugly(and fat), 12:27pm,do you really think other girls were curious if your guy in pic 3 was taken? At first I thought that was a joke. Believe me, he is not being desired by anyone else. He is all yours

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2010 2:56 AM

these guys are so fucking gin blossoms

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2010 4:11 AM