Posted in music on June 18, 2010
Mayor Bloomberg was in no Empire State of Mind yesterday.Note that the NY Post says "10,000 people -- triple what was expected" which is different than that NY Times article which said "The concert space at the Seaport can hold about 10,000 people, but far more came on Tuesday. The police did not release a crowd estimate, but some reports have put it at 25,000..." Which is it?
Jay-Z had planned to put on a surprise performance atop the marquee of the Ed Sullivan Theater Monday but the Mayor's Office of Film, Theatre and Broadcasting put the kibosh on it yesterday.
Like Paul McCartney last year, the Brooklyn-born rap superstar had planned to use his appearance on the "Late Show with David Letterman" to give a show in the middle of rush-hour Midtown.
"There was discussion of a concert, and ultimately it was decided there would be no permit," said Julianne Cho, spokeswoman for the film office.
The mini-concert was axed abruptly after weeks of planning and negotiations, sources said.
The decision came on the heels ofa free performance by rapper Drake at the South Street Seaport that was canceled Tuesday after 10,000 people -- triple what was expected -- grew unruly when the entertainer kept them waiting for 90 minutes.
Six people suffered minor injuries. Two people were arrested.
Sources told The Post that a permit for Jay-Z's performance would have been granted only if organizers could keep the show secret, but word of the show leaked out yesterday.
That said, I wouldn't exactly start caling this the end of free shows in the city. Jay-Z for free in midtown doesn't really seem like it was ever a great idea, Drake show or not.
And in related news, tickets to see Jay-Z play Yankee Stadium go on sale in a week.