Posted in music | tour dates on June 16, 2010

Brian O'Connor @ Webster Hall (more by Chris La Putt)
Brian o'Connor

Eagles of Death Metal bassist Brian O'Connor has been diagnosed with cancer, and is undergoing treatment in Los Angeles. He will undergo surgery today and will begin chemotherapy in three weeks.

When Brian alerted members of his vast family of bands of his diagnosis, a human chain of support formed immediately. Members of Eagles of Death Metal, Queens of the Stone Age, Them Crooked Vultures and Rage Against The Machine, all touring in various locations around the globe, mobilized to take the load off Brian, so he could focus on preparing his mind and body for what lay ahead.

Brian has no health insurance, so the first order of business was to organize a London show and an LA show to raise money for his medical expenses.

Them Crooked Vultures announced the London show today; they have added a July 5 Brixton Academy date to their European festival run. Details for the Los Angeles show are being finalized now and will be announced soon.

Eagles of Death Metal have decided to honor all tour dates in their schedule. Dean Fertita from Dead Weather and QOTSA will fill in for Brian on EODM's dates this week in Toronto, Santa Cruz and San Francisco. A friend will stand in for Brian on EODM tour dates until he returns.

If you'd like to contribute to Brian's medical care fund please visit here for information.

Get well soon Brian.

The EODM Toronto show they're referencing is the NXNE kick-off party happpening in Toronto tonight (6/16). If I don't miss my plane, I might be there. All dates and a statement from Brian is below...

Brian:

In regards to my current health situation, with the remarkable support and love from my amazing friends and family, I am receiving the best medical and moral attention one could ask for. I cannot thank everyone enough for their continued support and involvement. I am excited for my full recovery and look forward to getting back to what I love most, melting face with my bass. I'm feeling great, after all, I am half unicorn. Keep ya posted.

Love and gratitude,
BOC
Eagles of Death Metal - 2010 Tour Dates
Jun 16 - NXNE @ Phoenix Concert Theatre Toronto, ON, CANADA
Jun 18 - The Catalyst Santa Cruz, CA
Jun 19 - Cannabis Cup @ Mezzanine San Francisco, California
Jun 28 - One Eyed Jacks New Orleans, LA
Jul 23 - Land of NOD Experiment @ Dalton Farms Jackson, MI
Aug 11 - Rock N Rev 2010 @ Glencoe Campground Sturgis, SD

why do people buy into the whole chemo therapy ruse?
it makes You sicker, & Dr.'s richer.
go to the earth & positive thoughts.
sounds hippyish, but is true.
regardless of Brian's choices for medical treatment, i wish him the best!

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 4:12 PM

fucking cancer. what a bitch

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 4:43 PM

unless you're homeless, not having health insurance is inexcusable

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 5:15 PM

you can get mediocre health insurance for $300-400 a month. they seem like their a "big" enough band that he could afford that...

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 5:31 PM

Seems like he has he right attitude and I wish him well.

I wonder if he can get insurance now... I thought that was what the new health care bill addressed (denying based on a previous health condition ..etc)

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 5:58 PM

Your band sucks. Go ahead and die.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 6:42 PM

You have no excuse to not have health insurance.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 7:22 PM

6:42 is a mental infant. Grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 8:42 PM

These muscians need to look into provate insurance. I feel bad for them, but at the same time I am sick of them begging for money. No one pays my dr. bills when i can't afford them.

Posted by nysro | June 16, 2010 10:44 PM

Eating a highly Alkaline diet is a great step to preventing maybe helping cancer. Anti fungal, bacterial foods too like garlic and so on. Drink lots of water, purified best you can... alternative research and natural "cures" and things that make you healthier certainly do effect people in good to great ways. the Diet though Acidic food (meats, bread, lots of stuff) is bad for people. google "Alkaline Foods" and go from there. you health insurance worshippers should shut your asses.

Posted by Anonymous | June 16, 2010 11:58 PM

^ and yeah the Ph level should be slighly more Alkaline then Acid, so just integrate the alkaline foods in, most people do not know this, I through research do. Now spread some good too.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 12:04 AM

I sure hope O'Connor is reading BV's comment section for both cancer care and health insurance advice.

You are all dirty assholes. A bunch of infected, vermin bitten assholes. Imagine the asshole of a full-blown AIDs-ridden, tranny methhead hooker that was left to die in a putrid cesspool of rat shit. You are worse than that.

Best of luck O'Connor. God bless.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 1:31 AM

Dio already had cancer, no one cares.
Next disease, please!
[jk]
remember to follow the medical advice of
Dr Danzig, MD, PhD!

Posted by brandonmetal | June 17, 2010 1:39 AM

What an awful way to start my day. Reading these comments.

Does this blog actually think it's helping? Why not title this blog post "Dumb musician gets cancer. Should have got health insurance, DICK!"

BV can pretend to defend itself saying it's the commenters not the post itself. But allowing anonymous assholes like this leads to this bullshit. It's the blogs' fault.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 8:27 AM

Get well soon big hands

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 8:31 AM

I can ha dle people being assholes on boards. It comes with the territory. But MORONIC assholes spewing pseudoscience with no evidence to support it, pretty insufferable.

I wish him a full recovery.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 9:13 AM

if he were a british musician or canadian or from any other civilized country in the world he'd have coverage, but america remains a backward, medieval country where citizens are still arguing about evolution... problem is america never evolved from the greedy, murderous land grabbers that came over from europe in their stinking boats... get well soon dude

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 10:41 AM

anybody know if josh homme is on the eagles of death metal tour in san francisco"?

Posted by shahim ali | June 17, 2010 3:40 PM

i wish him a full recovery and also strongly encourage the holistic route. he looks pretty young to get cancer - wonder what type it is?

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 4:51 PM

Thumbs way up @8:27 AM

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 2:18 AM

Eagles Of Death Metal bassist Brian O'Connor has been diagnosed with cancer, so Them Crooked Vultures will play two benefit shows to help O'Connor with his medical bills. O'Connor will undergo surgery today and will begin chemotherapy in three weeks. In other news, a video of Slash getting tackled at a recent gig has just surfaced. Get the details on that and on Interpol’s fourth, self-titled release on today’s Music News, only on X1FM.com.

Posted by X1FM Network | June 18, 2010 2:22 PM

Me and my friend were arguing about this the other day! Now I know that I was right. lol!

Posted by دروس فوتوشوب | June 20, 2010 6:38 PM

Speedy recovery, Brian. Hope to see you melting face with your bass asap.
Nancy Cohn

Posted by Anonymous | July 9, 2010 12:57 PM

remarkable music. great for all fans

Posted by inflora | October 10, 2013 11:26 AM