Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on June 24, 2010

photos by Samantha Marble

Karen Elson @ Studio at Webster Hall
Karen Elson

Karen Elson played Williamsburg Waterfront on Sunday, June 20th with Band of Horses and Grizzly Bear. The night before that she headlined a show at Studio at Webster Hall along with Midnight Masses. Samantha Marble was there and wrote: "Looking back on the show I thought that Karen Elson having Midnight Masses open for her was a perfect balance in terms of setting the tone. Midnight Masses posess the kind of power and soul that forces you to see the light. Whereas Karen Elson sings songs gently but powerfully. The mystery in the tone of her voice makes you feel like you are sitting outside during twilight in the country. It's dark but everything is illuminated." Her pictures from that show are in this post.

Karen Elson doesn't have any more shows lined up, but Midnight Masses will be at Union Pool on June 27th with Starring, Wizardry and Skeletonbreath (a Northside show). They'll also be at Mercury Lounge on July 10th with Snowden (tickets) and Cake Shop on July 19th.

The next show at the Williamsburg Waterfront is Silversun Pickups, Against Me! and The Henry Clay People on Friday, June 25th.

Karen Elson's The Ghost Who Walks came out in May on Third Man Records, and a video from her release party set at the label's store/studio in Nashville is posted below (she also played the label's pop-up at SXSW). Conan O'Brien played the same Nashville space on June 10th. A live LP of Conan's performance is available for preorder from the label, and is expected by the end of July.

More pictures from the Studio at Webster Hall show and the above-mentioned video and tour dates are below...

Midnight Masses...

Karen Elson
Karen Elson

Midnight Masses - 2010 Tour Dates
Jun 27 - Union Pool Brooklyn, NY
Jul 10 - Mercury Lounge New York, NY
Jul 19 - Cake Shop New York, NY

"Midnight Masses posess the kind of power and soul that forces you to see the light"

Oh for the love of all that is holy. Are you fucking kidding me with this shit? Just when you thought you had seen the bottom on here with writing from that Losevosky moron and Rachel Kowal, now comes this.

Thank you internet blogosphere for allowing people with the worst writing skills whatsoever be hoisted upon us.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2010 2:53 PM

Agreed. I like this site a lot, but please leave that pretentious nonsense to the clowns who write for Pitchfork.

Posted by Thierry Ennui | June 24, 2010 2:59 PM

^^^Michiko Kakutani is in the hizzouse!!

Posted by soysalami | June 24, 2010 3:14 PM

fucking LOL 2:53!!!!!! spot on.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2010 3:26 PM

also nice fucking KROKUS t-shirt dude from midnight masses...why anyone would want to wear a KROKUS shirt is beyond me as that band sucks donkey balls in hell but perhaps he is just being ironic?

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2010 3:28 PM

3:28, because he is too young to possess a living memory of Krokus as a real band. Now it's just gone into the hazy world of funny-looking vintage t-shirt logos for him and it has no connection to anything else tangible.

Krokus anecdote...my mom used to work in a department store and sold a chai pendant to the singer dude.

Posted by LKJ | June 24, 2010 3:43 PM

conan LP will be great

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2010 4:00 PM

What's really funny is that turdburglars like LKJ and "Anonymous" actually give more of a fuck about what I wear than I do. Stop wasting your life and everyone's time.

Posted by Autry from Midnight Masses | June 24, 2010 6:31 PM

GREAT PICS BV!! THANX!

Posted by NUGE | June 24, 2010 6:33 PM

seriously we shouldn't be talking about a krokus shirt when there is an elephant in the room that is karen elson and her whole band... their whole look is one big gaytarded bummer... put that shit away!!!!

Posted by fourth man | June 24, 2010 7:59 PM

I'm surprised no one has ripped on Karen Elson for "only being famous because she's Jack White's wife"

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2010 8:09 PM

she was actually famous before she married him but it was for modeling

Posted by matt | June 24, 2010 8:58 PM

3:28 + 3:43 = losers who have vivid memories of Krokus.

Posted by Anonymous | June 24, 2010 9:41 PM

Hey Autry from Midnight Masses, I was not one of the Krokus comment makers but i just have to say-

Ok, so you don't care what you wear hence you don't give a shit what you look like.

You don't care about the english language which i garner from your eloquent use of the word "turdbuglar"(is that the best you could come up with?)

And you don't care about what you sound like cause honestly your band's music sucks

SO my question is, What do you care about?

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 1:08 AM

worst post ever!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 25, 2010 4:01 AM

This is true. I'm just a photographer, no writer, and it was 5am when I wrote that description. I'm sorry that what I wrote caused this kind of backlash. With that said, I handpick the shows that I want to shoot. Midnight Masses was put on that bill at the last minute and played a great set. I had been hearing from other musicians about how good they were for months before getting to see them for myself. Additionally, Karen Elson had been playing in The Citizens Band for years before coming out with her album. She didn't go from model to musician overnight. She had been playing music for years.

Posted by Sam | June 25, 2010 3:03 PM

Hey Autry, I don't give a toss what you wear. I was answering a question posed by someone else.

You're irrelevant anyway.

Posted by LKJ | June 25, 2010 8:19 PM

6/24 9:41: I'm a loser because I remember 1981? I didn't say I *LIKED* Krokus, dillweed.

Posted by LKJ | June 25, 2010 8:20 PM

Hey LKJ
Who is irrelevant? When was the last time you made something worth a shit? Show your face and name your bitter band.

Same goes for you, 1:08. You're just blog trolls.

Posted by missstas | July 2, 2010 1:02 PM

LKJ, do yourself a favor and sign anonymously so there isn't a trail of your retarded high ground on every other thread.

Posted by LKJ | July 2, 2010 1:22 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================