Posted in music | tour dates on June 10, 2010

DOWNLOAD: Dean & Britta - Making Me Smile (MP3)

Sing Me to Sleep

"Sing Me To Sleep" is a really fun compilation of lullabies and popular songs re-imagined as lullabies by some of today's best indie artists including: Dean & Britta, Tanya Donelly, The Leisure Society, The Rest, Telekinesis, Jenny Owen Youngs, The Real Tuesday Weld, Snowbird, Neil Halstead, and many more. All proceeds from this wonderful album are donated to The Valerie Fund, a 501(c)(3) non-profit charitable organization that provides support for the comprehensive health care of children with cancer and blood disorders. It's a beautifully produced album for indie-hipsters young and old.
Sing Me To Sleep: Indie Lullabies came out in May on American Laundromat Records (the first pressing came with a bonus 7" with a song by Sigur Rós). Check it out if you can, it's a great compilation (for adults at least - I haven't tested it with kids!)

Coming up, Joe's Pub will be hosting a June 13th show for the album with contributors Tanya Donelly, backed by a jazz ensemble, Jenny Owen Youngs and Julie Peel. This all-ages, kid-friendly (with face painting, free souvenirs and door prizes) starts at noon. Tickets are on sale.

Songs from the record (including Stars cover of the Smith's "Asleep") are streaming, and the Dean & Britta track is available above. Tracklist for the CD and show flyer are below...

Sing Me to Sleep

'Sing Me To Sleep' Tracklist:
Listed alphabetically below as full track listing (original artist) - Artist performing
Asleep (Smiths) - Stars
Boys Of Summer (Don Henley) - Papercuts*
Can't Get It Out Of My Head (ELO) - Telekinesis
Cloudbusting (Kate Bush) - Neil Halstead
Dear Prudence (Beatles) - Casey Mecija (Ohbijou)
Dream A Little Dream Of Me (Traditional) - Dala
Edelweiss (The Sound of Music) - Laura Gibson*
Gymnopédie No. 1 (Erik Satie) - Coctails*
Have You Forgotten (Red House Painters) - Jenny Owen Youngs
Inchworm (Hans Christian Andersen) - The Leisure Society
Kafari (Original) - Sigur Rós [bonus 7" vinyl only]*
Kiss Off (Violent Femmes) - Say Hi*
Little Boxes (Malvina Reynolds) - The Real Tuesday Weld
Making Me Smile (Jack Early) - Dean & Britta
Moon River (Breakfast at Tiffany's) - Tanya Donelly
Moon River (Breakfast at Tiffany's) "Blue Mix" - Tanya Donelly [bonus 7" vinyl only]*
Pure Imagination (Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory) - The Rest
Rainbow Connection (The Muppet Movie) - Trespassers William
Strings That Tie To You (Jon Brion) - Julie Peel with Field Mouse & Hailey Wojcik*
The North Wind Doth Blow (Traditional) - Snowbird
The Sounds Of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel) - The Abbasi Brothers*
You And Your Sister (This Mortal Coil) - O+S
You Are My Sunshine (Traditional) - Peter Broderick*
Note: Starred tracks only appear on the exclusive limited-edition first-pressing CD/vinyl package

I dunno if this was needed. Half the "indie-rock" bands out there already put me to sleep... But the cover art is cute. :)

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 2:24 PM

Yawwn!

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 2:26 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 2:26 PM

speaking of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 2:33 PM

or anything by af, mmj, strokes, nat'l

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 2:34 PM

Shouldnt the Pains of being boring at heart be on this?!

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 2:46 PM

I wish black sabbaths war pigs made it to this compilation. It makes nice dreams...

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 2:49 PM

Why would anyone wanna get this when they could easily just go to a Radiohead concert and get the same result.

Posted by Heavy Street | June 10, 2010 2:54 PM

How is that the same result? This cd may be $15 a Radiohead concert is $50-60.Radiohead concerts are also high energy specticales with good lighting etc...

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 3:00 PM

2:54 Fail

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 3:02 PM

What Would Lemmy Do?

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 3:29 PM

Say Hi covering the Violent Femmes does not sound like a lullaby

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 3:46 PM

Shouldn't Grizzly Bear be on this? They always put me to sleep!

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 4:02 PM

With proceeds going to a "non-profit charitable organization that provides support for the comprehensive health care of children with cancer and blood disorders" it sounds swell sleepy or not

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 4:38 PM

"Finally, an album I can put on to convince my newlywed American Apparel-wearing trustfundarian Williamsburg-by-way-of-a-suburban-city-in-Deleware wife to lay off the condoms and that it's hip to have a baby."

Aren't we well past the point where these oh-so-clever digs at the williamsburg set are much, MUCH more annoying than the "trustfundarians" themselves? Maybe I just don't go there enough to be constantly annoyed by people who have no affect on my life.

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 4:44 PM

Is that Tanya Donelly's yearbook picture?

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 4:52 PM

Is that Tanya Donelly's yearbook picture?

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 4:52 PM

you have to be getting paid for these posts

Posted by Emily Goldsher | June 10, 2010 5:50 PM

BV- please try and make links OPEN IN NEW WINDOWS.
thanks

Posted by Anonymous | June 10, 2010 11:08 PM

The Smiths' "Asleep," which The Stars cover here, is about suicide. The title of the album is lyrics from the same song.

Kind of odd for a record made for soothing the delicate hearts of infants...

Posted by Anonymous | June 13, 2010 3:49 AM

Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie were really good albums. Got them when they came out, still throw them on at times and think they're great. It saddens me when I hear bands from that era when I was a teenager and hear their new stuff and it's so clear how they've lost it, they sound desperate to recapture a sound/magic that they haven't had in 15 years (holy shit).... And then I realize that is not unlike a lot of us.

Posted by منتديات | January 21, 2011 6:10 PM

Posted by منتديات | January 21, 2011 7:58 PM

you dave haters can go fuck yourselves. bonnaroo 2010 was 4 of the best days of my life. the DMB and JayZ headliners at the main stage were two of the best shows I've ever seen, musically and production speaking. 2011 'roo is going to be amazing. Phish headlining?

Posted by وظائف | January 30, 2011 3:25 PM

they also played at a place called Tramps in april '99 losers. with qotsa. where were you? you guys sound pretty angry? go listen to something hip. whatever the fuck you think that is. why does james iha need to be in the band for them to be good? that makes no sense. so the band changed lineups. oh well.

Posted by يوتيوب | February 5, 2011 12:10 PM

Posted by صور | February 5, 2011 2:15 PM

I took my first mortgage loans when I was 25 and this aided me very much. Nevertheless, I require the car loan over again.

Posted by WeeksDaisy | November 19, 2011 3:50 AM