Posted in music on June 30, 2010

"Gone to Governors" (more by Ryan Muir)
Gone to Governors

Wednesday, June 30th
Passion Pit
Updated Ferry Information

Doors open at 5:00PM, show is at 6:00PM.

ALL Ferries for Passion Pit will be departing regularly from lower Manhattan at the North end of the Battery Maritime Building ONLY starting at 5:00PM - 10 South Street, New York, NY. The Battery Maritime Building is easily accessible from the the 2-3, JMZ, and AC subway stops.

Returning ferries from Governors Island will run approximately every 20 minutes back from the Island all evening. Please note that returning ferries may stop at either the Battery Maritime Building OR Pier 11 (Wall Street & South Street) which is only a few hundred yards North of the Battery Maritime Building and also accessible to the the 2-3, JMZ, AC subway stops.

Passion Pit is not free. You must have a ticket to get on the ferry and the show is sold out. And by "show is at 6", they mean Suckers play at 6pm sharp.

Note also that tonight's Passion Pit show is not on "the Beach". The Beach, where Yeasayer and the Morning Benders played free shows, is the smallest of the three "venues" on Governors Island. Passion Pit play Colonel's Row which is about double the size of the Beach. M.I.A. and Rock the Bells happen at the even bigger space which is more than double the size of Colonel's Row.

This holiday weekend there are three free shows on Governors Island. Note the updated lineups:

• July 3rd - Portugal. The Man w/ Alberta Cross & Hopewell
    (Doors: 6:00 pm/ Show: 8:00 pm)
  • July 4th - Rosanne Cash (2 PM - 4 PM)
  • July 4th - She & Him w/ Oakley Hall (4:00 pm Show)
Portugal and She & Him are part of the "Gone to Governors" series which is presented by Converse (and take place on the Beach). All shows are first come first served. Check thebeachconcerts.com website for updated ferry info on the day of those shows, and the official ferry schedule for getting there early.

There is also a Victor Calderone event on the Beach of Governors Island on July 4th from 6pm - 2am, so I guess She & Him is over before then. The switchover of crowds should be interesting.

"Please note: Due to location of fireworks, they cannot be seen from Governors Island"

Lucero play a free show on the Beach with J-Roddy Walston and The Business (recently added) & TBA on July 10th. More of the schedule is HERE.

Anyone think Rock the Bells will sell out soon?

Don't know if I should buy my tickets....

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 2:11 PM

So for the free shows, do they actually distribute concert wristbands like the Bowery Presents site claims or is that all BS?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 2:13 PM

how crazy is this she & him show going to be?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 2:13 PM

By "crazy" do you mean "shitty?" Because the answer is EXTREMELY.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 2:21 PM

The Lucero beach show is going to be strange. How does one pregame an outdoor Lucero show so many hours before they actually come on? So difficult.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 2:34 PM

I wouldn't even try getting into She & Him...it'll be a madhouse.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 2:57 PM

Yep mind as well as start lining up for She and Him at noon....

I mean after all, their T5 show is sold out and that's not even free!

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 3:10 PM

I'd like to see M. Ward try to implement a "no photography/video" policy for the Governors show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 3:30 PM

he wasn't able to implement anything at his summerstage show last year.

anywho... sucks they didn't put this at one of the bigger venues on governors island. would love to go, but fuck getting there at noon for a show that doesn't start until 4pm.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 3:38 PM

anyone know how many people they are letting into these shows?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 3:42 PM

@ 2:11 It won't sell out anytime soon.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 3:48 PM

She & Him at T5? Sounds like cruel punishment.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 3:52 PM

M. Ward has transformed into quite the bore.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 4:00 PM

@400? Was there was some transformation period I missed? It seems to me he been prety boring since October 4, 1973 (...and yes, sadly I just wikipedia'd that")

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 4:23 PM

Whatever you are doing, have a Happy 4th!

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 4:51 PM

can i see rosanne cash and stay for she and him?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 5:56 PM

She & Him did a free show in Chicago this month and it was a madhouse that attracted more people than the other free summer shows have done, tenfold. A good half of the people seemed to be Deschanel stalkers who knew or cared nothing about music, from the reports I've read. So yes, expect insanity.

Posted by LKJ | June 30, 2010 6:05 PM

she and him at a standing room venue does sound like hell. and i like she and him.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 7:06 PM

Jeeeeez all the pessimists on here make me not even want to make the slight trip from princeton to see the show.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 10:12 PM

@ 10:12 - The show is going to be hot, crowded (with a majority of the people there solely to ogle Zooey), and a nightmare to get back from. You should totally go.

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 11:06 PM

how does passion pit sell so many concert tickets? how?

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 11:24 PM

They use a click...

Posted by Anonymous | June 30, 2010 11:27 PM

I'll be at the She & Him show. I had a ticket to their show at Bowery Ballroom, but at the last minute I couldn't make it. I was really pissed. I'm glad they're playing again, but I would have been much happier if the pay show was somewhere better, like Webster Hall. I'm not paying $40 to see She & Him in the worst venue in the city. So I guess I'm just going to the free show, but that'll be pretty annoying.

I'd say the craziest show this summer will be the Spoon pool party in August (just announced a few minutes ago). The size of the crowd will probably be about the same as Girl Talk last year. That was some crazy shit.

And wherever they reschedule Kesha and Ratatat, the two (separate) concerts that were scheduled to be at South Street Seaport, but are being reloacted/rescheduled because of what happened when they tried the Drake show.

They better still have the Ratatat show, they're amazing live.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2010 2:05 AM

@1127, that is exactly right...

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2010 10:19 AM

"The Battery Maritime Building is easily accessible from the the 2-3, JMZ, and AC subway stops."
Only take the M if you're not trying to get to this show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 1, 2010 11:19 AM