Posted in music | pictures on June 21, 2010

photos by Andrew St. Clair

Morning Benders
Morning Benders

Wild Nothing opened the night with a blistering set of tunes that had me groovin'....

Freelance Whales were up next, and I had high hopes for their set....The band was good, but not great...

The Morning Benders played an incredible set the last time I saw them at The Music Hall Of Williamsburg. I didn't think they would be able to top it, but the did. With the devastatingly beautiful backdrop of NYC accompanying them, there was nothing but good vibes floating all round their performances...

...the band played a great cover of the Fleetwood Mac classic "Dreams". The guys nailed it down so well that one wouldn't be at fault for mistaking the song as a morning benders original.

That wasn't the only cover that they did. The band also covered Joy Division's "Ceremony", which Chris said was one of his favorite songs....The set ended with the always incredible "Excuses" which brought a huge singalong from the crowd... [We All Want Someone]

The second of the summer's free Converse Presents: Gone to Governors shows on Governors Island happened on Saturday night (June 19th) with sets by the Morning Benders, Freelance Whales and Wild Nothing. Like the first (Yeasayer) show, the space filled up, this time about an hour before the music (though they let some more people on to ferrys around 8:30, after the beer fest that was also happening on the island emptied out).

The next show in the Gone to Governors series happens on July 3rd with Portugal. The Man and Alberta Cross (that's a day before She & Him play a July 4th free show on the island with Oakley Hall).

For the Dr. Dog show now happening on Sunday, August 15th (note the date change), atmospheric indie-folk-rock Chief have been added to one of the opening slots.

More pictures from Saturday with the setlists and some videos are below...

Wild Nothing...

Freelance Whales...

`

The Morning Benders...

The Morning Benders- "Stitches" live at Governors Island on 6/19/2010

The Morning Benders- "Excuses" live at Governors Island on 6/19/2010

Dreams - The Morning Benders (Fleetwood Mac cover) @ Governors Island

Freelance Whales - Generator First Floor (Governors Island)

Wild Nothing - Summer Holiday @ Governors Island

The Morning Benders' actual setlist
1. Stitches
2. Promises
3. Wet Cement
4. Mason Jar
5. Dreams (Fleetwood Mac Cover)
6. Hand Me Downs
7. Pleasure Sighs
8. Ceremony (Joy Division Cover)
9. Cold War (Nice Clean Fight)
10. All Day Daylight
11. Excuses

the Morning Benders written Setlist
Stitches
Promises
Wet Cement
Mason Jar
Dreams (Fleetwood Mac Cover)
Hand Me Downs
Pleasure Sighs
Cold War
All Day Day Light
Excuses
Grab a Stranger
Ceremony (New Order Cover)

Freelance Whales at Governors Island June 19th 2010 setlist
1. Hannah
2. Location
3. Generator ^ First Floor
4. Starring
5. Ghosting
6. We Could Be Friends
7. Kilojoules
8. Generator ^ Second Floor

god, how much do i hate the "party photo" segment on brooklyn vegan these days...

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:50 PM

12 year old girls, awesome!

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:52 PM

The Morning Benders and Smith Westerns should have a battle to see who's more pussy. Ugh.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:53 PM

do all of these guys in these bands shop for clothes together?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:53 PM

needs more openers. waiting for 2 1/2 hours was ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 1:59 PM

1:51, yes that is Alia Shawkat. She and her friend were super nice. And before anyone asks... No, I didn't ask her about the Arrested Development movie.

Posted by Andrew St. Clair | June 21, 2010 2:03 PM

What time did the Arrested Development movie trailer premier?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:09 PM

I just blue myself

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:22 PM

this look like the wussiest bands i've ever seen performing to a grade school outing.

Maeby Funke's pretty cool, though

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:27 PM

The Morning Benders opening/entrance was moody and pretty fucking awesome. Just sayin'.

oh yeah, and the Ceremony cover was great. it was awesome because so many people let, and there was so much room on the sand/beach to dance.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:30 PM

*so many people left

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:31 PM

morning benders and wild nothing both cover "dreams"... weird.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:42 PM

Don't see much bitching here, so I presume that the ferry ride and the bracelet system worked OK?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 2:53 PM

2:30, u aren't footloose

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 3:59 PM

i've said it before and i'll say it again: that singer reminds me of a puppy, a puppy whose head i want to stomp on.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 5:04 PM

freelance whales are absolutely awful

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 5:54 PM

the photographer is a creep. I was at the show and he literally was pacing around looking for attractive girls to photograph and then taking pictures of them, most without permission, to post online in a public blog. A total creep.

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 7:07 PM

Looks like this show was for kids under 18! Never heard of either of these bands....are they one of Pitchfork's favs?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 7:39 PM

"he photographer is a creep. I was at the show and he literally was pacing around looking for attractive girls to photograph and then taking pictures of them, most without permission, to post online in a public blog. A total creep. "

Someone is super duper paranoid. I was with him the majority of the time and he not looking for "attractive women"to photograph. If anything, I got some of the same shots he got and no one was creeped out and bitching about it.

Posted by your mother | June 21, 2010 7:49 PM

7:07, which one are you in the pictures? I want to masturbate to your image. Thanks in advance.

Posted by Creep | June 21, 2010 7:51 PM

if anything, I took more photos of attractive women than him.

Posted by a creepy black person | June 21, 2010 8:00 PM

venues are crawling with photographers not to mention every dickhead with a cell phone camera--what the fuck are you doing?

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 9:25 PM

7:07 jesus christ monkey balls. Dude what attractive girls are you talking about? Are you one of those, "If I don't have my morning coffee I turn into a rapist," guys? The crowd was 17 at tops. Great show and venue but I hope this is your way of putting, "Journalism," on your college application...

Posted by Anonymous | June 21, 2010 11:55 PM

7:51 for the fucking win!

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2010 3:24 PM

My god, is that a junior high assembly? Is anyone there over 21?

Posted by LKJ | June 22, 2010 4:44 PM

FAGS! This is BV right, I'm allowed to be a dick.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2010 5:24 PM

i thought freelance whales were great. i thought morning benders were a bit of a let down and tons of people left half way through their set.

Posted by Anonymous | June 22, 2010 9:35 PM

Morning boners

Posted by Anonymous | June 29, 2010 12:43 AM

After canceling a November 16th performance at SUNY Purchase due to back problems, musician Dan Deacon has returned

Posted by شات صوتي | August 17, 2010 5:01 AM

"I gots to tell y’all that when I heard the other day that the Bunnymen’s Ian McCulloch is writing his autobiography, I nearly shat my undies laughing so hard (good job I don’t wear any!); Ian Mac write a book? A man for whom completing a single song on his own is a struggle of Everest the Hard Way proportions is hardly going to write a book. Ian, I’m speechless at your continued arrogance in the face of no evidence whatsoever. In my opinion, you’ve been a dried-up shell of a husk of a man since just after OCEAN RAIN, so don’t embarrass us all with your ludicrous claims that you’re gonna write an autobiography. Two words… No Way. Writing a book involves discipline and hard work, two things you never nailed in the past and never will. As I heard it, you even said in the press that your book will be better than the Bible. Well, in two ways it may well be like the Bible: 1) it’ll be full of half-truths and outright lies, and 2) it’ll have been written by umpteen uncredited writers and you’ll name yourself solely as its author. There you go, dumkopf, I just handed you the map: don’t even bother buying yourself a pen, son; just do what you’ve always done throughout your career; get someone else to do most of the work then claim all the credit yourself. I even have a title already: MAC USER. And with that, I shall sweep off into the Beltane sunset. Yowzah!"

Posted by Youtube | November 29, 2010 10:28 PM

Posted by Youtubena | November 29, 2010 10:28 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================