Posted in music | pictures on June 17, 2010

words by Rachel Kowal, photos by Matthew Eisman

Radio City

It's hard to believe that The National headlined last night at Radio City Music Hall (they were the opener a few years ago when the Arcade Fire played there) and harder to believe that the massive space sold out. Sure, their last two albums have done especially well, but really? Radio City? I mean Lady Gaga is playing there in July. In "Little Faith," Matt Berninger sings, "I know what you think. You're waiting for Radio City to sink." Yes, ominous indeed.

The evening began with a rousing set by The Antlers. As if to echo the themes of hospitals, sickness, and funerals found in their solid debut, Hospice, white flowers decorated the stage. The Antlers' performance was bolstered by the addition of a two-man brass section (courtesy of Tim Cronin and Jon Natchez) and lovely female vocalist Sharon Van Etten. They played an extended version of the standout track "Sylvia" in addition to an unnamed new song. After playing a short string of songs from Hospice roughly in chronological order, The Antlers concluded their set with "Wake."

Walking into Radio City, I admit that the prospect of seeing two praise-worthy bands in such a huge space had me both exhilarated and fearful. Would they be able to master the space and overcome the obstacles posed by a seated show? How would they make the experience personal?

Though majestic, the space was a bit stifling. But to help cut down on the formality of a seated show, the majority of the orchestra section stood up when the band walked on stage and remained standing for the entirety of the evening. The National's front man, Matt Berninger, hopped off the stage to cavort with the audience in front during the third song, "Bloodbuzz Ohio." Sure, he only stayed down there for a few seconds, but it boded well for the rest of the show. The third wall came crashing down early.

The National also had some additional musicians on stage to help fill out their sound. Throughout the show, a small brass section again consisting of a trumpet and trombone contributed to the mix. Additional treats came on the seventh song, "Squalor Victoria," when a string section walked on stage. After that, it got almost ridiculous. St. Vincent's Annie Clark hopped on the piano for "Vanderlye Crybaby Geeks" and shared backing vocal responsibilities with Sufjan Stevens for the following song, "Afraid of Everyone." "I'm sorry they're so plain looking. We try to set a standard," Berninger wryly joked. "I wish we could have them on stage all night," replied a Dessner brother.

Radio City

But the real magic happened during "Abel." At least, it did for me. Berninger jumped off the stage once again and started pulling that oh-so-long mic chord behind him as he walked up the aisle in the theatre. For a few seconds, I lost sight of him. And then, there he was, right outside my row. And then... what? Berninger started climbing over the seats and ended up stumbling right into Row WW, Seat 409 - my seat. As he stood haphazardly balanced on the seat behind me, he leaned over, grabbed my shoulder to steady himself and put the mic right in my face as he sang. And, though I know nearly all of the lyrics to their songs and the chorus to "Abel" in particular is embarrassingly simple, I admit I froze a little and was too stunned to sing along. After my moment had passed, Berninger continued on his way, climbing over the seat in front of me and then heading back to the stage. It's almost as if he knew that this was only going to be a one-paragraph review (since I recently wrote a lengthy one for the BAM show) and wanted to spice it up. After Berninger fled the scene, BrooklynVegan photographer Matt Eisman and I stared at each other in disbelief. Did that just happen?

The show continued with a few more songs and a solid four-song encore that (of course) included "Mr. November". This time when he wandered into the crowd, Berninger climbed the stairs to the first tier of the balcony where people encircled him and furiously sang along. Berninger proceded to walk to the far side of the balcony and back down again, his mic chord dangling over the crowd in the orchestra section below. After over an hour and a half of play, The National concluded their encore with "Terrible Love."

The National will spend much of 2010 on tour. That includes a show in Prospect Park and one that was recently announced at Terminal 5.

More pictures, a video and the setlists from Radio City, below...

The Antlers...

Fake Empire
Encore
Runaway
Lemonworld
Mr. November
Terrible Love

Very happy they are playing Available again. (...and no I'm not that cool, I only heard of them after they released alligator.) Its just cool that they play that song live. They should also play Murder Me Rachel...

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:39 PM

The popularity of this band continues to baffle me.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:42 PM

The sound was pretty awful last night - the bass drum seemed twice as loud as everything else on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:43 PM

This was a trifle boorish for my taste, but my wife thought they were handsome.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:45 PM

YYYYAAAAAAWWWWNNNNNNN!!!!!!

you "indie" people and your toothless pap music have killed off what used to be a real subculture.

now it's all car commercial music and the superstars you've created are all no talent entertainers making paint by numbers music no one will remember in 10 years.

this is worse than 90's "alternative rock" was. at least that was for young people! this shit is just yuppie wallpaper.

The National is about as important as counting crows.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:45 PM

I wonder if he had wine on stage! I bet there was wine!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:48 PM

Mr. Joooones and me...

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:49 PM

National to open for Counting Crows! now there is a concert i would go see.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:50 PM

I love how many people post insulting comments on BV. Get over yourself. People like music, some of it isn't the kind of music you like. Get over yourself.

I was only surprised at how unsurprising the show was... it was very by-the-numbers National. I expected some sort of big deal for the big venue.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:51 PM

2:45-

easy there, grandpa. so maybe no one will remember the National in ten years. does that mean no one should listen to them? Not everyone can be Pink Floyd or the Beatles. let people have fun in the present, stop being so concerned about the future!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:52 PM

Took a client, billed him double-time. SCORE

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:52 PM

he was drinking wine, yes.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:55 PM

Go see the great GLENN DANZIG instead!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:55 PM

Somebody buy that guy a wireless mic!

Posted by andrew | June 17, 2010 2:55 PM

The Nashers >>>>>> The Arcade Dire

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:57 PM

show was amazing. amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:57 PM

"The National is about as important as counting crows."

But they still cut The Arcade Dire to ribbons.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 2:58 PM

damn that looked like a good show, and the set list is impressive

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:00 PM

Arcade Fire's popularity is far more inexplicable than The National's.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:00 PM

2:45, youre either clueless or delusional, or actually it seems like both. and that goes for 2:42, 2:43, and both 2:45s.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:03 PM

The National only matters in a curious segment of the population also known for expensive coffees, working from home, shaving their receding heads bald and listening to NPR (laughing smugly at Ira Glass).

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:04 PM

The National, as part of their Radio City performance background, have also performed about a year ago for a May 2009 Dark was the Night.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:06 PM

What's wrong with working from home? I like to avoid people as much as possible.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:07 PM

2:43--
I'm glad someone else mentioned the sound - I've read some fawning reviews and while the show was good, I think it would have been much, much better had the bass drum been balanced with everything else. That surprised me, considering the venue; never thought the sound would be less than perfect at Radio City. Still enjoyed it, especially Mr. November and Squalor Victoria.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:08 PM

if you are a bland band - you win nowadays.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:09 PM

Hey, I'm playing Madison Square Garden, not Radio City.

Posted by Lady Gaga | June 17, 2010 3:09 PM

Shaving the head is not for everyone: you need the right shaped skull for it.

However, if you are losing your hair, it's either that, a rug, or a comb-over. Seems like shaving the skull is the best option.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:09 PM

#3:04 ... hmmm, that sounds like me alright ...

Posted by amnesiac | June 17, 2010 3:09 PM

Lady Gaga: you should duet with Danzig -- that would be stellar.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:11 PM

While you were at this show, I was drinking a DUNKACCINO!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:12 PM

Wow. The energy that people constantly put into dismissing bands who make an actual career out of music is beguiling to me. Who cares? If it moves you then great, if not then why are you here? Grow up.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:13 PM

Arcade Fire is for people who are too embarrassed to be caught listening to U2 but who still long for sophomoric and meaningless "anthems."

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:14 PM

3:07--

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:15 PM

The National are a bit quiet, but not bland, IMO. I guess the backlash has begun.

I'm just glad to see a rock band moving a few units!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:16 PM

I rather enjoy their new album. But I guess I should hate them a lot because pitchfork had good things to say about them. I'm so unique and cultured!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:16 PM

I hear a lot of Leonard Cohen in The National's last couple of albums: a good thing, for me at least. LC is also quiet, but never bland.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:17 PM

"3:07--
cutting yourself off from your earth trip can cause isolation and weird mental places where The National can be considered cool."

"Hell is other people" -- JP Sartre

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:19 PM

Great show. Bass was way too loud at first where i was (center orchestra) but then seemed to be fixed after a few songs.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:20 PM

"If it moves you then great, if not then why are you here?"

To correct and instruct.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:21 PM

yay for "moving units"!

317 just stop

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:22 PM

I went last night and thought Radio City swallowed this band. They are much better in a small, intimate setting like the bell house. Venue was way too large and ambitious for them.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:22 PM

dude sings from his ball bag. the vibration whipss his jizz into a hummus-like consistency

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:26 PM

"yay for "moving units"!"

Oh yes, that's right, hipsters don't think it's appropriate for a band to actually make any money from their music. Better they should all have day jobs, or maybe trust funds like the ironic hipsters do.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:27 PM

the national are so 2007

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:27 PM

Nothing thrown from the balcony, and no wonder. I only saw one black guy in the crowd....and he was light-skinned. Incontrovertible proof that white indie rockers are far more civilized than those animal rap fans.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:28 PM

The antlers were one of the weakest bands I have ever seen. Or should I say, they are about as boring and cliche as most of these fay, soft bands BV touts. Do they use a metronome that is stuck at the same BPM when the write their songs? Holy SHIT, they suck. And what's funny is that they are beyond derivative, and that they are derivative of bands who are only about 8 years old and who themselves are derivative. LAME LAME LAME

And what the fuck was up with The National's bass drum. My seat was bouncing so bad from it I almost shit my pants.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:29 PM

National write great songs, although they havnt expanded their sound too much from the get go-but thats fine. The important thing is that they got iced and took them down like champs.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:30 PM

Gee, I thought it was a great show, but now after reading the comments here, I realize just how uncool I must be. I am so ashamed, what was I thinking? Guess I should be listening to LCD Soundsystem instead.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:30 PM

HIPSTERS ARE KILLING MUSIC

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:31 PM

To the many dbags on this thread......go find the next new indie band that may or may not hit it big in 2 years then brag to everyone how u found them first and how they suck now because they sold out and actually pack venues like raio city and make a living out of it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:36 PM

Black music is in its own rut -- hip hop is dead -- even Nas says so -- and nothing has replaced it.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:36 PM

Irony moustache hipsters only like bands when they get like 10 people out to their shows. They hate bands who are successful because it makes them feel like the inadequate d-bags they are.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:38 PM

Wow. This comments section reads like someone gave Trig Palin access to a keyboard.

The Antlers and The National are both ace. All of you are just jealous posers who need to STFU. For real. Oh, and bashing Arcade Fire is so 2007.

Posted by STFU d-bags | June 17, 2010 3:38 PM

It's never too late to hate the Arcade Dire.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:41 PM

RCMH eats every rock band, it is not a rock band venue. (See BV blog comment section to every concert ever held by a rock band at RCMH.) I bet Joao Gilberto nails it next week.

And as a yuppie, may I say...fuck you hipster haters! What the hell are you doing on BV? Isn't posting on BV a hipster thing?

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:41 PM

KILL ALL HIPSTERS!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:42 PM

"fuck you hipster haters! What the hell are you doing on BV? Isn't posting on BV a hipster thing?"

Where else would you got to insult hipters, then, if not where they hang out?

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:45 PM

Anon at 3:30 said it best. I thought the show was fantastic. I'm not accustomed to being so far away from the National (row C), but I think they did a great job filling RCMH with sound.

The Antlers blew me away. I love "Hospice" but the songs live took on a fuller, bolder sound.

I really can't believe the hate in this thread.

Posted by Dan | June 17, 2010 3:47 PM

what's you fuckers drop for these tickets?

$75?

$100?

more?

fuckin' dupes! I can at last respect this boring fucking band for separating you and your gfs' money from your bank accounts.

I hope th4e working class scalper dudes made a boatload of cash out of this cultural non event as well.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:56 PM

I was in row "QQ" and I thought the sound was excellent. Bass was corrected by the second song. If you want to sit close to the stage and have an excellent view, expect sound compromises.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:58 PM

matt berringer is the most disappointing singer live. and my morning jacket tore rcmh a new one.

their albums are great, their live performances are flops. if you think they're good live then either you're a super fan or you just haven't seen a great live band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 3:58 PM

I like it when people hate bands I like. It makes me like the bands even more.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 4:06 PM

I've seen many, many bands and I think the National are a very good live act.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 4:08 PM

goes well with faux marble countertops in waterfront condos

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 4:17 PM

where are the annie clark pics, she is hot in red dresses

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 4:38 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 4:55 PM

I see about 6 shows per month. I've seen The National many times, and I think they are an excellent live band.

Different lanes for different brains I guess.

Posted by Dan | June 17, 2010 5:01 PM

I've seen a million faces, rocked them all, and The National are a boring band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 5:06 PM

The photo of the black woman being forced to act like a sign pole for privileged hipsters is really sad. Everyone who attended this show should be ashamed.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 5:10 PM

That black woman is in a union and probably making more per hour than most of the hipsters posting here. Not to mention the included health care.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 5:21 PM

Yeah, not sure she's being "forced." I'm guessing that's what adults call a "job."

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 5:24 PM

I feel proud that part of my ticket price went to support her and her coworkers. I guess 5:10pm prefers she quit her job and go on welfare.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 5:35 PM

I believe it was the fourth wall that came crashing down early, unless there was trouble with a backdrop.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 5:35 PM

I LOVED the show. I was sitting in ZZ and had no problem with the sound.

And almost nobody was seated for the Antlers, felt bad for them but liked their sound.

I didn't know about The National until March or so. I was really happy to find some music that interested me and have never been to Radio City to see a band, it was a little formal, but I have my tickets for Terminal 5 so it's nice to try a different venue.

Yes, I know now they've been around 10+ years, and I don't care if it's cool or not, I think they're great.

What's really boring is the never-ending self-conscious "hipster" references on nyc internet sites that makes commenters think they're trendy and current.

I was really happy I saw them in such such a historic venue. An excellent show by The Antlers and The National.

Posted by moi | June 17, 2010 5:41 PM

there were many empty seats, especially in front orchestra. brokers/scalpers took a bath. you could've bought double-letter orchestra rows on ticketmaster even 3 hours before show time.
btw show was boring, not a RCMH extravaganza at all...

Posted by me | June 17, 2010 6:05 PM

people threw their jackets over her face, mistaking her for "the help" on their way inside the thee-AY-tuh for some self-pitying treacle.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 6:21 PM

this review feels like it was written by a 10th grader for the high school rag. i mean really.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 6:50 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 6:55 PM

The show was incredible. Of course there were some lame business people and frat boys at a show this big. But where I was standing it was magical. All the infantile haters have ruined this blog. Arcade Dire? Arcade Fire made the best album of the last 10 years Funeral....and I expect the new one will be close.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 7:24 PM

"Arcade Fire made the best album of the last 10 years Funeral....and I expect the new one will be close."

The Arcade Dire:

"The next U2!" -- Rolling Stone

"The next Springsteen!" -- Rolling Stone

'Nuff said.

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 7:37 PM

"I LOVED the show. I was sitting in ZZ and had no problem with the sound."

You were sitting in the ZZ?

How did Billy Gibbons like the show?

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 7:39 PM

""rock band moving units" guy is probably wearing a track suit and a phone attached to his ear."

And you're probably trying to grow an ironic moustache while you spend your trust fund bux on PBRs. Die, hipster scum!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 7:42 PM

DIE HIPSTERS DIE!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 7:45 PM

LOL at hipsters and the oppressed black woman. Hipsters think anyone who actually has a job and not a trust fund is "oppressed."

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 7:47 PM

BOMB BILLYBURG NOW!

Posted by Anonymous | June 17, 2010 7:51 PM

who's billy gibbons? Never mind, I don't care.

If scalpers got burned, very happy to hear that.

The comments seem to be written by a bunch of underage boys.

Those who didn't go sound like they're very jealous. And those who did go, why would you pay money to see a group you don't like? Not very intelligent.

Posted by anon | June 17, 2010 10:43 PM

Oh, first poster: I agree! Would love to have heard "Murder Me Rachael"! Oh well, can't play everything. Maybe at Terminal 5.

Posted by moi | June 17, 2010 10:49 PM

i am a soundguy, and i wish that concert goers understood what it takes to do sound... you do a soundcheck during the day in an EMPTY ROOM!... and when the band hits, the room is full of people... of course things are gonna sound different in that enviroment... many people comment that the sound sucked at first, but then got better by the 2nd song... well, you know what?... that is the sign of a great sound engineer compensating for the differences of a packed house verses an EMPTY ROOM... one of you should try to do sound for a live band one day, and see what it sounds like!... it is about a million times harder than setting the EQ on your home stereo or ipod!

Posted by dbag | June 18, 2010 1:10 AM

also... the soundguy mixes the sound from the soundboard.. which is usually on the floor of the venue, somewhere between the middle and back of the room... he makes the band sound good to him at that location... he can't possibly check the sound in every corner of the room... he cannot help it if the room has weird nooks and crannies that catch certain frequencies (sometimes too much bass)... he is making the band sound the best he can for the MIDDLE OF THE FLOOR of the venue... if you are sitting in the front row, or in a balcony... then all bets are off... you might not get the BEST sound in the world... maybe you should hire your own personal sound engineer (at $1000 per day) to mix the show to your liking.

Posted by dbag | June 18, 2010 1:23 AM

Why is everyone in here trying to out-hipster each other. I have gone on 4chan's /mu/ and it's not this bad.

There also seem to be upset hipsters who are butthurt they couldn't get tickets and are trying to call the National, Antlers, or Arcade Fire boring. Nice six-year-old pout mentality.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 1:50 AM

arcade fire and the national are equally irrelevant bands.

arcade fire's only clever moment was when they mixed disco funk bass lines ala Rapture / Interpol, with the kind of emo that has cellos in it and talks about quasi-supernatural bullshit, ala Neutral Milk Hotel. and they don't even do that schtick anymore.

the national are just another bar rock band with no redeeming value. for people who can't get enough wilco albums.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 8:40 AM

Wow 8:40..I hope to be irrelevant like Arcade Fire and the National...if being Irrelevant means selling tons of tickets and albums then that must really suck to be irrelevant!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 8:56 AM

"Arcade Fire made the best album of the last 10 years Funeral"

ha its good but not that good

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 9:41 AM

"You can't write about The National, maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan... you have to EXPERIENCE The National."

right on, bra

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:00 AM

it doesn't suck for them, 8:48, it just sucks for us.

why be in a band if your ambition is to be less important to the history of rock than air supply or loggins and messina?

these guys should just work in advertising, they basically are in that business already

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:08 AM

"who's billy gibbons? Never mind, I don't care."

I'm sure you don't know who he is. Billy Gibbons is far more important to the history of rock than The National or Arcade Fire will ever be.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:17 AM

Rolling Stone is paid off by U2 -- they even gave Bono's last platter of shite 5 stars and then the record bombed. And now they are ready to "annoint" Arcade Dire as Bono's heir apparents. Satan help us!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:19 AM

"Arcade Fire made the best album of the last 10 years Funeral"

'ha its good but not that good'

It stinks.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:20 AM

there's a gorgeous absurdity to reading someone defending their fondness for the national... as if they were a real band and more than a lifestyle brand

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:21 AM

I bet those "the national" fans really checked their shit in on foursquare at this thing

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:23 AM

I hope "the National" releases their own brand of coconut vitamin water kambucha soon. That shit will taste delicious

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:28 AM

My god I loathe the Arcade Dire: pretentious, empty, poseurs.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:31 AM

you guys should see some of my home silk screened "the national" tshirts. I just love them SO much! they complete me

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:32 AM

"Who is Billy Gibbons?" Pathetic. Just a guy that Jimi Hendrix himself namechecked as one of his favorite rock guitar players.
I believe the joke was that you mentioned aisle "ZZ." If you don't get it after that, you are an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:34 AM

Somebody who loves The National but doesn't know who Billy Gibbons is says it all about why people loathe hispters.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:47 AM

what do "hipsters" have to do with "the national"?

pretty distant worlds

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:49 AM

Canadians should protest at Arcade Dire being labelled "a Canadian band." The leader is a Texan, isn't he?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:50 AM

Billy Gibbons and Win Butler: both from Texas. And that is where the similarities end.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:52 AM

"what do "hipsters" have to do with "the national"?"

Hmmm. At what point did The National stop being a hipster band and start being a latte lifestyle band?

The minute they started selling albums, I suppose. Hipsters hate successful people.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 10:59 AM

"Everyone on /mu/ likes Arcade Fire and doesn't feel they have to show they've outgrown them because there were hasty U2 comparisons."

Oh well, if "everyone" on /mu/ (whatever the fuck that is) likes Arcade Dire, that settles the issue, then.

"Hasty" U2 comparisons? The latest issue of Rolling Stone calls them the new U2. How is that "hasty?"

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 11:02 AM

hahahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 11:36 AM

hahahahaha

you're a condescending idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 11:50 AM

"hahahahaha
hipsters never liked the national. they were a mercury lounge band from the getgo. it goes to show what kind of squares are into this product - they don't even understand how tragically unhip they are"

What a fucking piece of shit hipster snob.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 11:55 AM

ZZ Top? Talk about irrelevant. Ew.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 11:57 AM

"A Mercury Lounge Band?"

So only certain venues are acceptable to ironically-moustached, trust fund hipsters?

I've seen lots of great stuff at Mercury Lounge.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 11:58 AM

Great. Next time I see a hipster at Mercury Lounge, I'll going to kick his ass out of there....

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 11:59 AM

ZZ Top are legendary. And they did irony before you even knew what it was.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:01 PM

you have really bad taste, 12:01. Cheap Sunglasses? How ironic and poetic.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:03 PM

I'll take ZZ over The National or Arcade Fire any day. Poetry? Like the crap Win Butler writes? Kack.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:09 PM

If you want poetry I recommend William Butler Yeats or Baudelaire, not some indie rock band.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:11 PM

Can we order a drone attack on Williamsburg hipsters?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:13 PM

Definition of hipster: Williamsburg resident?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:25 PM

if being a snob means being unimpressed with pap like the national then I will happily be called a snob

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:30 PM

Fuckin' hipsters.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:43 PM

"Gonna beat up the next hipster I see / Maybe I'll be beatin' up you."

--Stiv Bators

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:45 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 12:51 PM

this subculture that you guys have co-opted used to be the torch bearer of that sentiment

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 1:00 PM

who cares about these lucky ducks. maybe they're kings of the world today, appearing on letterman or whatever, but 10 years from now they'll be footnotes at best... and the models and starlets they get to marry because of of this moment in the sun will leave them penniless and alone.

they'd have done better to have made music they could be proud of and respected for down the road

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 1:20 PM

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 1:21 PM

"or... maybe there are people who don't just jump right into the uber-conformity, consumerist bandwagon and actually do something unique with their lives."

Maybe -- but I doubt they are sporting ironic moustaches and living in Billyburg.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 1:36 PM

Footnotes to what?

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 1:37 PM

DEATH TO HIPSTERISM!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 3:46 PM

and death to good taste, apparently

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 3:48 PM

Snob.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 3:54 PM

I didn't find the kick drum too loud. From the balcony, I thought the kick drum just sounded weird. Actually I thought the snare sounded weird as well. Both drums sounded like high pitched and low pitched thuds.

Aside from that, I enjoyed both bands.

Posted by Frank Grimaldi | June 18, 2010 3:56 PM

the thought of all the money you yuppies drop to see random ass bar bands like this makes me throw up in my mouth a little

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 5:24 PM

A hipster is just a yuppie in denial.

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 6:32 PM

I think all The National-bashing is kind of ridiculous and childish. OK. You think they're lame. That's fine. Get over yourself.

Also - when did it stop being ok to like BOTH 'yuppie' bands like the National AND smaller 'hipster' bands? When can we agree to stop liking stuff only because it's trendy even when it sounds like shit and dismissing stuff that has a fuller, more rehearsed sound just because it's on NPR?

Posted by RK | June 18, 2010 7:57 PM

"Hipsters' stated loathing for yuppie/latte-sipper types is really just them evincing a fear of their own future, when mommy and daddy insist they quit playacting and get serious."

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I've seen hipsters drop a lot of money on fancy coffee drinks.

Posted by anonymous | June 18, 2010 7:58 PM

I'm glad some posters have mentioned the bass. I was in row L of the back of the first mezzanine and found the opening number to be painful. I felt that the bass was improved in the 2nd song but not fully mitigated until the 3rd or 4th. And I appreciate that sound engineering is art as much as science.... but I saw these guys at dark was the night.... and there were no such problems during that show. A great set list and a good performance overall for me!

Posted by Anonymous | June 18, 2010 9:42 PM

Great write-up of the show and I'm with "Anonymous" that I'm glad they're playing "Available" again... love that song (and that record) and I've never had a chance to see the National play anything off that record until Radio City. Looking forward to Prospect Park... we'll see if I try to get a ticket for Terminal 5.

Posted by Edward Douglas | June 19, 2010 8:41 AM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================

Posted by يوتيوب القمة | March 2, 2011 3:49 AM

That picture with the woman holding the sign is hilarious!

Posted by Anonymous | March 14, 2011 6:04 PM