Posted in music | tour dates on July 27, 2010

CocoRosie @ Terminal 5 in June (more by Zachary Alex Stern)
CocoRosie

For me Cocorosie's new album Grey Oceans is perhaps the most important new music coming out of the US this year. It is no surprise that as the sea turns black in the gulf with no end in sight in the midst of the biggest ecological disaster in US history, CocoRosie are the only ones to hit the zeitgeist with an album filled with psychic omniscience, entitled "Grey Oceans." And yet it seems to be the album the indie US press doesn't want to talk about. Bianca and Sierra Casady paints pictures of lost children across a broken land, feral, elemental spirits who roam the dreamscapes of our world, naming perpetrators, painting their memories, recovering and reclaiming power. They are unafraid to manifest their vision that the application of magical creativity could be a balm for aching souls in a struggling world. They take risks that no other artists in the scene dare to, and the (predominantly white hetero male) music press punishes them for it. In the artistic community, CocoRosie are treasured. Their costumes and visual aesthetics are a vital part of their expression, revealing further illustration of their ideas and their inspirations and creating a striking format for the shamanistic shapeshifting that occurs in their live performances (in some ways they are the feminist branch of a voyage that Animal Collective in their boyish and heralded way have undertaken in parallel) and yet as women Cocorosie are dismissed because their visual presentation frustrates many male writers' abilities to sexualize them. Who are you assigning to think on your behalf? [Antony Hegarty via Stereogum on CocoRosie]
CocoRosie will be playing a show at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Wednesday, September 15th. Tickets go on sale Thursday at noon.

Around the same time in 2009, the sisters played Highline Ballroom, and earlier this year they brought their new album, Grey Oceans, to Terminal 5. The new Brooklyn show is part of Cocorosie's upcoming North American fall tour. Before then, they're in China in August - and after, they're in Europe.

All tour dates are below...

CocoRosie - 2010 Tour Dates
Nov 03 Fri Son Fribourg, SWITZERLAND
Nov 04 Gloria Cologne, Nordrhein-, GERMANY
Nov 05 Jahrhunderthalle Frankfurt, GERMANY
Nov 06 Reithalle Dresden, GERMANY
Nov 07 Muffathalle Munich, GERMANY

Tags: Antony, Cocorosie

What a load of crap. Their first album was plenty "heralded." I just didn't like their last album because it kinda sucked. I think playing the gender card here is uncalled for.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 6:29 PM

no T5 dates? ;)

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 6:47 PM

...or they're just shit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 7:09 PM

more bullshit

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 7:15 PM

bullocks

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 7:49 PM

sandra?

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 7:58 PM

shit is shit no matter how you paint it. good thing there are people who are into coprophilia

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 8:14 PM

Well, I love you, Antony, but when I saw Cocorosie live they acted like a couple of barely talented sophomores.

Posted by LKJ | July 27, 2010 8:31 PM

I'm gonna also go out on a limb and say that the "male hetero" crowd is not to blame for every hurdle encountered by non-male heteros.

Posted by LKJ | July 27, 2010 8:32 PM

oh shut up anthony.

add this guy to the list of clueless gay c-list musicians (along with nico muhly) who get offended when critics don't like their friend'ss bands, and somehow draw their own sexuality needlessly into it. put it a sock in it. or rather, put a sock in your quavering vocal chords and sing a little better.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 8:42 PM

As much as I disagreed with Antony's comments here, 8:42, I hardly think he is a "C-list" musician who can't sing.

Posted by LKJ | July 27, 2010 8:46 PM

China seems like just the kind of ass backwards shithole that's gonna eat these two up. A little whitey minstrel show for the Orientals, hup hup!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 8:53 PM

Antony! I bow to your superior tastes! O how my ears have decieved me lo these many years! How in the world could I have EVER decided to gently dislike CocoRosie's new album on my own?

You have posited the Ultimate Indie Rock Question: "Who are you assigning to think on your behalf?" I finally have my answer: It is not I who will think for myself--it shall be YOU, Antony! YOU!

BLESS YOU! THANK YOU!

Posted by soysalami | July 27, 2010 8:53 PM

i think he makes some compelling points. i'm a straight male but i definitely agree with his statement that if they were men they would be received differently (and probably more positively). i saw cocorosie live last year and really enjoyed it. that being said, i get why people wouldn't like them.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 9:03 PM

hmm. i agree with 8:46 in so much that i don't think antony is really a "c-list" musician. whatever that might mean. i've seen him perform before, and while i know that man can sing, i'm not a huge fan of his work. however, i think his math might be a little fuzzy. i adore the first coco record. and when their second came out, while i picked it up, it didn't seem to have the same power to capture me. the last one, really could care less about it. this most recent one on sub pop, i haven't heard, but i certainly have read the reviews which almost trash it across the board. so antony, are you insinuating that every single reviewer out there is a hetero male trying to bring the hammer down on women? interesting. i intend on giving 'grey oceans' a spin and deciding for myself, if that's ok with you. however, i sure hope the've brought some new bags of tricks to the table as i'm already starting to hear repeat melodies and such which lead me to belive the sisters cassidy could be running out of material. i know i'd love to fall in love with another album of theirs the way i did when the first one on touch & go came out. and while i see where you're coming from with the whole animal collective comparison, ehh, i think it's sorta bullshit. i for one wasn't thrilled with their last, but seriously, those guys have been fucking consistent with new and inventive material. solo and as a band. i think the sisters have a ways to go, if ever, before they can be on that level. look forward to your new album coming out. will you only deliver it to lgbt-friendly press? just wondering.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 9:15 PM

Antony, wigging out once again...

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 9:32 PM

I don't care if you are a man, a woman, gay, straight, bison or elephant if your music sucks, it sucks and Cocorosie are horrible.

And just to prove my point I have plenty of female friends who feel exactly the same way.

Hey Antony I hear Lou Reed calling, so go warble your way out of here and leave the music criticism to the professions. Like the always discerning BV commenters.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:10 PM

Antony is drastically underestimating my ability to sexualize things

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:19 PM

How am I supposed to take Antony's opinion about gender and sexuality seriously when he can't even figure out what he is himself?

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:16 PM

As a hardcore Antony fan, I'm so disappointed he wrote this. F@ck this. This is a community of fans that has supported and hated on different artists over the years. We're the ones that paid for tickets, merch, etc. and blabbered on about how great some shows are, hated on others, but we deserve to have our own opinions. F@ck this. I really hope this was just another hacker who convinced Scott at Stereogum that he was really Antony.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:31 AM

so antony defended cocorosie. why is this a problem? i think they deserve his support. anyway, he's not dictating to you. he's making an argument. you should still be able to decide for yourself without getting personally offended.

Posted by anonymous | July 28, 2010 2:03 AM

i really like this band

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 2:54 AM

cukoorosie.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 8:20 AM

^^ 8:14 cocophilia

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 8:30 AM

"China seems like just the kind....that's gonna eat these two up. A little whitey minstrel show for the Orientals, hup hup!"

You stupid stupid fool! Racist MF'er! Say it to my face! C'mon p-ssy! That's right, you're just a little b!tch who can spout off on anonymous message boards. Sissy!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 8:41 AM

>>you should still be able to decide for yourself without getting personally offended.<<

As he is personally offended, I have the right to be personally offended too, eh?

His argument is spurious at best. Thanks to this majik box called THE INTERNET, people have more power than ever before to hear anything they want!! If Antony believes "it seems to be the album the indie US press doesn't want to talk about," he's massively underestimating people's ability to search out new music themselves without needing (mostly) useless bloggers and music site writers and editors.

Posted by soysalami | July 28, 2010 8:50 AM

i am not saying antony is right, but i think it is important to understand the weight of press when it comes to making and selling a record:

press, print press in particular, impacts how many records the distributor will ship to stores. so, regardless of whether you agree with antony, press pieces are important because they get more copies in stores for you 'enlightened' people to buy.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 10:13 AM

i'd hit it

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 10:21 AM

Antony's argument was beautifully written but kind of misses the point. First of all, to suggest that naming their record Grey Oceans was some sort of prescient, preemptive response to the BP oil spill, even jokingly, is just ridiculous considering that it seems to be nothing more than a lame variation on Grey Gardens. Mostly I just want to say that I recently listened to their music relatively free of prejudice (knowing nothing about the artists) and wasn't moved, inspired or entertained in any way. I was mostly annoyed by the affected vocals and overcooked lyrics, and this is coming from a Joanna Newsom fan.

I do agree though that, generally speaking, artists that take risks and come up short tend to be punished for it critically while artists who take the easy route and do it well (looking at you, Best Coast) are championed. Seems a little backwards to me. I'll take an adventurous failure over an uninspired success any day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 10:22 AM

hey, 10:22. i wrote 9:15 and just wanted to say, amen. that last line, "I'll take an adventurous failure over an uninspired success any day." if it. case closed. perfectly said. thank you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 10:36 AM

maybe if their latest album didn't have the worst album cover in the history of album covers i would listen to it

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 11:39 AM

coco rosie are artists. just artists i don't care for.

Posted by annie momus | July 28, 2010 12:43 PM

I don't like bands that need to put on an image.
It's about the music, not how good your stylist is.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM

Print press? What's that?

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:57 PM

Well, I like CocoRosie lots, but Antony annoys the hell out of me. I don't think that they need to be defended by him. However, they really do need to keep Diane Cluck off their tour. You want awful? Point your comments there. Oh boy did she suck in ways I never imagined possible! Cluck Sucks.

Posted by S | July 28, 2010 2:11 PM

11:39 LOL & agreed

Posted by LKJ | July 28, 2010 5:30 PM

CoCo Rosie are one of the worst, most pretentious bands I have EVER seen!

Antony is talented but obviously no judge of talent in this case.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 9:06 PM

I think CoCo Rosie deserves to open for Hank III. Now *that* would be poetic justice.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 9:10 PM

"add this guy to the list of clueless gay c-list musicians (along with nico muhly) who get offended when critics don't like their friend'ss bands, and somehow draw their own sexuality needlessly into it."

Don't forget aMEHnda palMEHr!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 9:14 PM

CoCo Rosie should be forced to open for David Allan Coe every night for a year.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 9:17 PM

This band symptomizes everything bad about "indie" rock. Antony is an idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 11:19 PM

"For me Cocorosie's new album Grey Oceans is perhaps the most important new music coming out of the US this year. It is no surprise that as the sea turns black in the gulf with no end in sight in the midst of the biggest ecological disaster in US history, CocoRosie are the only ones to hit the zeitgeist with an album filled with psychic omniscience, entitled "Grey Oceans." "

pppffffffffftttttt aksjdhfakljsdfgs HAHAHAHAHAAH …wow

"i have proof my friends are psychic and hey guess wat??? their album is great too and you look stupid if you don't like it and/or don't beleieb me" -a.

Posted by anonymous | July 29, 2010 1:52 PM

That entire Stereogum piece had no logic at all to its arguments--it's one thing to cite sexist criticism. It's quite another to invent reasons for a lack of media attention.

Yes, Cocorosie make the most awful music, and it has nothing to do with the way they look. This is not to say that the whole concocted mythology attached to the band isn't also awful.

I have no problem with their appearance (masculine, feminine, both, whatever, it's fine). The narrative (somewhat related to their costumes as "artists") is totally disingenuous, pretentious, and contrived.

For example, that new video they have of the dude in the headdress. The whole idea of them even being Native American is fake! Cocorosie are a quarter Cherokee, maybe less. Their father was a white dude who went around acting like a "shaman." They grew up as rich and privileged white people without ever identifying as or having been treated like a Native person. That supposed Cherokee they are singing? I just read an interview where they say that they have no idea what the words even mean.

What is doubly annoying and offensive is how they cite this so-called heritage of theirs to attach some kind of mystical earth-mother shamanistic we-are-so-much-more-spiritually-elevated-than-you importance to their music.

So much of their music is lauded as coming from "artists" who are "free" and have some kind of preternatural insight into what it means to be a "child" or live outside of cultural norms. Well, it's easy to be a total weirdo and live like a "nomad" if you have never had to work a real job in your life and your mom pays for you to travel and to live her in french countryside house.

I really don't get why people buy their bullshit! (I'm cranky because I have friends who force me to listen to their shitty ass music and my ears are bleeding.)

Posted by Wndy | July 30, 2010 9:57 PM

Weird. I knew them when they were living in New Mexico. They were not like this AT ALL! Straight edge Christian freaks.

Posted by T-Man | July 30, 2010 9:59 PM

i like Antony but i don't know what all the argument is about. i and all my friends love cocorosie (i guess we are a bunch of europeans, so....) and they look like they are touring a lot. go cocorosie!

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2010 10:24 PM

Anyone know set times for Music Hall show tonight? Is there an opener?

Posted by JJ | September 15, 2010 12:13 PM