Posted in music on July 15, 2010

Roger Waters and David Gilmour

So here's what happened. Last year, 'The Hoping Foundation' a charity that supports Palestinian refugee kids, (www.hopingfoundation.org) put on a fund raiser at Ronnie Scott's Club in London, the idea of which was to raise money by auctioning karaoke performances by various celebrities. David was there as a supporter and was moved to perform an impromptu rendition of George Gershwin's 'Summertime?' which he performed aided and abetted by supermodel Kate Moss.

In the wake of that evening, someone, I think it was David himself, came up with this 'Wouldn't it be funny', idea. What if he (David that is) were to sing the old Teddy Bears song 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' with me (Roger that is), what with us having been so famously at each other's throats for years and years. Get it!!!! Anyway he E-mailed me with this suggestion and I loved it, so then it was just a question of juggling dates and deciding to do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'Comfortably Numb' to round out our little set. Or so I thought, until he sent me a number of very musical and eloquent demos of how we could do the song in two-part harmony. I listened with a sinking heart, knowing that David, with his superior vocal skills, could sing either part standing on his head, whilst I would have to search for a different key and then struggle through hours and hours of routining a performance that lay way outside my vocal comfort zone. To my eternal shame I bottled out and told Dave I would happily do 'Wish You Were Here' and 'C. Numb', but that 'To Know him is to Love him' was beyond me.

Some weeks passed with David cajoling me from time to time, telling me how easy it would be, but I clung resolutely to my fear of failure until one day he made one final entreaty. I quote "If you do 'To Know Him Is To Love Him' for The Hoping Foundation Gig, I'll come and do 'C. Numb' on one of your Wall shows". Well! You could have knocked me down with a feather. How fucking cool! I was blown away. How could I refuse such an offer. I couldn't, there was no way. Generosity trumped fear. And so explaining that I would probably be shite, but if he didn't mind I didn't, I agreed and the rest is history. We did it, and it was fucking great. End of story. Or possibly beginning.

Roger

PS. Just heard from David, he will decide in due course which gig he wants to do, it will be a surprise!

That apparently means that one show on the Roger Waters "Wall" tour will get the golden David Gilmour ticket. Six of those shows are in the NYC-area.

Some this is just a marketing scam to sell tix?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 10:36 AM

This tour doesn't need any marketing....it's basically sold out everywhere I think.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 10:38 AM

I imagine whatever show Gilmour chooses will be in London

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 10:46 AM

Too bad these two nitwits couldn't make amends before Rick Wright died...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 10:49 AM

Fuck palestinian children and all the terror supporters who try to help them ... and Gilmour should tour again on his own, probably the best show i have ever seen was Gilmour with Wright at Radio City.. fucking epic...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 10:56 AM

I agree with 10:49.

Posted by noamjamski | July 15, 2010 10:56 AM

"Fuck palestinian children and all the terror supporters who try to help them"

and fuck you, you genocide supporting hate monger. I hope your children are all stillborn

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 11:00 AM

^^^

Funniest. Comment. Of. The. Day.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 11:12 AM

@10:49 - So true! What a damn shame! I'm going to listen to Animals right now!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 11:14 AM

They should also support the children of Israel who's familys members have been continualy assaulted with rockets from Gaza..

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 11:15 AM

raising money for palestinian refugee children isnt anti-israel.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 11:25 AM

124 Israeli children have been killed by Palestinians and 1,441 Palestinian children have been killed by Israelis since September 29, 2000.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 11:27 AM

^^ Point??

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 11:51 AM

Thanks for sharing this story. The two old-time Floyd guys still cooler than 95% of the indie kids out there today.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:16 PM

I feel bad for innocent children dying but it is hard to sympathize with a group that votes Hamas in to be thier leaders!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:21 PM

"Fuck these guys for not getting their shit together while Rick Wright was alive and ready to tour.

Posted by noamjamski | July 15, 2010 10:56 AM"

They did get back together for a show in 2005..with Wright
Highly doubt this is for a publicity stunt..

1987 shows was probably some of the best shows I have ever seen..

Posted by Jim Idol | July 15, 2010 12:27 PM

I saw pink floyd play back in 1995... It was the finest LSD I've ever ingested, and when "learning to fly" came on, i saw giant pink elephant flying over the stage. I swear I'm not making this up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:44 PM

The problem is the very idea of a "religious state." That goes for Islamic states as well. Separation of church and state is something we should aim for, especially since those who are not of the state's religion will not share power with the clerics who rule over them. To be in conflict with a religious state is not ant-semitic or anti Islamic. To be in conflict with any state's policy is not to be against the religion of that state, merely it's policies. Jimmy Carter said it is Apartheid and it is. Sooner or later the power of the Israeli government will be shared, and as in Northern Ireland, the shit storm from both directions will stop.

"More" was the best Pink Floyd Album after Syd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:50 PM

@11:51 - Point being the Israeli military are bigger mass murderers than Hamas. Certainly, Hamas are a bunch of right-wing religious zealots but the Israelis are no better. They just have a military funded by $3 billion of our tax dollars, so they have tanks, planes, and nukes instead of stones, plastic rockets, and car bombs. Both can easily be labelled "terrorists."

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:05 PM

zzzzzzzzzzz

My 16 year old cousin who just discovered how a bong works is probably pretty excited about this.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:08 PM

2:05 Maybe so or maybe not but Hamas is an instigator and the sooner they dissapear the better the whole region will be one less hurdle to a joint Israeli-Palestein state system.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:15 PM

I meant with Hamas gone the region will be one step closer to a joint state...BV can we get a way to edit post on here?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:26 PM

I hooked up with a Palestinian girl off of J Date.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:34 PM

lame lame lame. who cares about terrorism and old pink fogies

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:01 PM

Could somebody please just blow up both places already. If for no other reason that stopping these idiotic debates on the BV comments section every time the "I" or "P" words are mentioned.

Lets just focus on the facts here, Pink Floyd sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:06 PM

Not a fact, 3:06. Just one idiot's opinion.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:35 PM

The first to kill were the invaders in 1947 48 that slaughtered unarmed Palestinian villagers as we know its called Deir Yassin.
You must not know Pink Floyd, Roger Waters and lets go as far as to say the UN EDITED version of Monty Python's The Life of Brian that pokes at Zionists and their "god given right".

Thank You Eric Idle.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 2:57 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:26 PM

The right wing zionists never had any intention have having a Palestinian state and many of us are aware of the greater map land grab which includes much more than Palestine. Its also no secret that Israeli forces covertly years ago propped up Hamas to have a justification for much.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 3:14 AM

3:14 that is the biggest bunch of BS I have heard!

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 7:15 AM

3:14 that is the biggest bunch of BS I have heard!

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 7:15 AM

Then you think covert action to instigate must be a secret bake sale right? Sometime go listen at a university to ex intelligence officers.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 7:10 PM

no marketing ploy, most of the shows sold out within minutes of onsale.

Posted by pha-q | August 14, 2010 12:33 AM

Deir Yassin was a hoax and Hamas and Fatah are instigators. If the "cause" goes away with a Palestinian state realized, the money train dries up. The Palestinian leaders, not the Israelis, are who foot the blame for the impasse and for fueling constant violence from their supporters.

From their own mouths re: Deir Yassin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkhSHiwzaIY

Posted by anonymous | June 4, 2012 1:48 AM