Posted in music | pictures on July 25, 2010

photos by Alexander Stein

Yo-Landi Vi$$er
HARDNYC @ Governors Island

"the show last night [ridiculous] and awesome and bad, and magic--mia [sucked] so bad, she must must have done [it] on purpose. she's got some tricks and some ideas, but [I] think she just got so cagey when die anterwoord blew her out of the water that she pulled this weird ass rockstar theatrics and sabotaged herself and the sound system, along with throwing a big fuck you to the crowd that actually came to see her. [I] mean at some point before she went on, they cut the Dj off and there was this whole sound from the backstage VIP area, and the crowd got [to] listen to it for a few minutes in silence, and it was like "that's were the party is at, suckers". I don't know if she drinks or not, but the bit about having a shot of [tequila] in her seemed by far the realest part of the night. The best was the rain over the lazers, but she didn't even know how to make that to work for her, so it seemed like Nature taking pity on her." [Anonymous]
That review refers to Saturday night's HARD FEST on Governors Island which we'll be covering in multiple parts.

This post contains Alexander's pictures of the final three main-stage acts (M.I.A. who spit down on Alexander while Alex captured the saliva on film, Die Antwoord who made at least one female member of the ecstasy-filled crowd go wild, and Sleigh Bells who also sounded great), and two videos (topless girl and lasers/rain), below...

MIA

Sleigh Bells...

HARDNYC @ Governors Island

Die Antwoord (the beginning of their set)...

MIA...

more pictures coming

Topless woman dances on man's shoulders during Die Antwoord and blocks people's view of the show, but is quickly forgiven by many when they realize she isn't wearing a shirt (barely NSFW) *
* excuse poor quality (shot w/ iPhone), choose full screen for bigger version

Rain pours down on everyone during M.I.A.'s set at Governors Island, but the rain is quickly forgiven when everyone realizes that cool rainwater feels better than sticky sweat, and that it looks really cool with the lasers

to be continued...
UPDATE: Pictures continue HERE

Die Antwoord plays another show tonight/Sunday at Music Hall of Williamsburg (sold out)

Not that MIA isn't a twit, but maybe she didn't like the "up shorts" angle homeboy was shooting from?

Posted by Jeffro | July 25, 2010 7:38 PM

And to think, the scientific community laughed when I said I wanted to create life forms based entirely on the molecular components of crystal meth, herpes and a car alarm. WELL WHO'S MAD NOW EH?! Now go Die Antwoord! Go and do my bidding!

Posted by Brian Farrelly | July 25, 2010 7:50 PM

Man, everything about mia sucks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 7:55 PM

antwoord ruled, MIA show was maher shalal hash baz-esque and a roaring good time, y'all 70 future anti-Hard/MIA/antwoord/whatever (most of which are prolly the same dudes with different typing diction) are jealous flabby virgins and im glad you werent there.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 8:06 PM

fucking hipsters

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 8:08 PM

ditto 8:08pm

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 8:13 PM

MIA is one classy bitch!!....is she puerto rican?

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 8:17 PM

Why does it seem like everyone is suddenly turning on MIA, I feel like her performance/sound has been pretty consistently like this since the beginning...

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 8:22 PM

The show was amazing. You haters need to shut up and go away. If you don't like her music then don't go listen to Lady Gaga or something. How is it her fault it started to rain you morons? Even if she played only a couple of songs her show was far beyond most interesting of all the artists playing that day. She really got the crowd going and I loved the laser effects.
And btw.. If she would spit on me I would never wash my face again.

Posted by Stop hating | July 25, 2010 8:49 PM

skream and benga fuckin killed it

sleigh bells sound like two 13 year olds messing around

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 8:49 PM

Gotta say Skream + Benga made the show. Killer set.

I'm not going to dig Sleigh Bells live until they get a band.

And Die Antwoord made the case that District 9 didn't need aliens; South Africa produces weird fuckers on its own. But a great set, too.

Left after a few MIA songs. Long, hot day, ferry ride back, and the sound mix wasn't my thing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 9:04 PM

I dunno 'stop hating'...lady gaga? Why is that the only alternative to a MIA album?

Your gal is a pig. This won't end well.

Posted by Wax Puppy | July 25, 2010 9:05 PM

those MIA pictures are incredible actually. Well done.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 9:22 PM

I had a great time during MIA's set. Too bad if you didn't.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 9:32 PM

sleigh balls are the worst

Posted by Chucky | July 25, 2010 9:37 PM

i actually didn't think die antwoord was that great, i was just expecting something better because their live show is so hyped up.

sleigh bells fucking ruled and i don't understand why they only had a 45 minute set while fucking skream and benga had an hour and a half.

and m.i.a. was fantastic - i was mostly just glad she played a lot of the best songs from arular and kala and didn't focus on maya

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 9:45 PM

sleigh bells and die antwoord were great. completely underwhelmed by MIA

anyone know how old the chick in die antwoord is???

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 9:48 PM

WTF? She really spit on the photog?

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 9:53 PM

It was a one of a kind show

xoxo

MM

Posted by martin henson | July 25, 2010 10:06 PM

To: Anon 9:45

As Sleigh Bells said at the Pitchfork fest: "Our record is 35 minutes long. We don't have any other songs."

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 10:11 PM

MIA was fantastic. When I listen to music on the radio now that I have heard MIA it all pales in comparison. There is NO sound like her out there. Take that haters ... PS, Sleigh Bells and DA were pretty incredible too. Just a different. Get over it the rest of you ....

Posted by nicholas william | July 25, 2010 10:14 PM

^
there's also no sound like a garbage truck picking up the trash in the morning...did the trucks skip governor's island that day? They left that big chunk of tamil trash MIA on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 10:51 PM

so why isn't alexander's next shot after the gobber a photo of mia out cold with a camera body lodged in the side of her thick skull? the bitch spit on you dude!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 10:54 PM

A gob of spit in your face. Hooray womens' lib!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 11:13 PM

The jokes on you if eat up this Die Antwoord joke.
Also absolutely none of the history of white settlers in South Africa has been pleasant at all.

Watch any documentary that shows all the Dutch, English, and Belgium far right wing parties who have completely marginalized and ruined the lives of the native black South African's. Theres beaches from the inception of white settlers who dont allow black people and golf courses have water for the elite while black citizens struggle for clean water daily.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 11:13 PM

10:51. you racist republican

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 11:17 PM

11:13 wtf does the history of south africa have to do with anything??

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 11:21 PM

MIA = the most overrated artist of the past decade!

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 11:26 PM

I'd fuck M.I.A.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 11:34 PM

Shout out about the sound. It was terrible. When she came out during the first song her mic wasn't working, you could only hear the back ups - which is when they brought out a replacement during the second song.

That didn't work either and was promptly thrown out into the crowd. Third mic I guess did the trick, but I guess she still couldn't hear herself in the monitors and ended up crawling out into the crowd shouting out "turn me up!".

Only managed to stick it out for 5 or so tunes before bailing (think I left during the whole tequila skit). Overall the system was blown out and distorted, most of the folks standing beside me on the right of the stage had their fingers plugging their ears it was so blown out - many of whom had been dancing their tits off during Sleigh Bells and Die Antwoord. What a let down.

Posted by Anonymous | July 25, 2010 11:37 PM

this music is pure shite.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 12:09 AM

re: 11:37

Couldn't agree more. The sound mix at MIA was absolutely atrocious to the point it was unlistenable. I've seen MIA twice before and she absolutely killed it both times. This time, not so much. I left after three songs. (perfect timing too because I was on the ferry for the entire length of the downpour)

I'm only 25 and after seeing that stupid fucking waste of time tacky joke of an act Die Antwoord I felt like I was already old and out of touch with music today. Why are people buying into this crap? Sure, the guy can rap, but the girl made my ears bleed. And did he really need to strip down and thrust his pelvis at us for such a long time? I honestly felt like I was watching an SNL skit during their entire act. Except the punchline never came.

Posted by not going to another show at GI | July 26, 2010 12:10 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 12:36 AM

^^^ its from a youtube video/meme. that's why people are interested in seeing them live. they won't be a career band. just a gimmick that is probably interesting for some to see in person.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 12:37 AM

Sleigh Bells were terrible. The girl cannot sing a lick.

Posted by Guest | July 26, 2010 12:43 AM

i'd still fuck mia.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 1:14 AM

DA is entertaining. That's that. Will they remain entertaining beyond 2010? Who knows. For now they are entertaining - on youtube or on stage.

MIA live has always been at best inconsistent, and at worst terrible. We forgave her because Arular and Kala were bomb as shit records.

/]]]]a]]aYA is garbage. Backlash is inevitable.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 1:23 AM

Am I alone in thinking that Alexis (Sleigh Bells) is incredibly sexy? I'd go watch her dance around stage and just where some ear plugs. Damn...that was kinda sexist. I totally objectified her. That's not all I want to do to her though. Oh well...being anonymous rules!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 2:08 AM

I've never been more down on this site. This is the BS you post about? How about Bassekou Kouyate at Summerstage today? Or is he disqualified from your documentation for knowing how to play an instrument? Even if it's forthcoming (which I doubt, prove me wrong), what a pile of bullshit this is.... I thank you for the occasional heads up on ticket info, but this spitting/iPod players.... Gimme a break. There is music being played in NYC nightly... You are not covering it well.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 6:37 AM

what was MIA's set list?

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 8:35 AM

2:08 likes chubbie girls and poor grammar.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 8:38 AM

Hardfest was a joke overall. I dunno what all this hype is about with Die Antwood? When I arrived this is who was playing at the moment. The girl sounds like a deranged chipmunk and what was with the wigger get up? I can't believe anyone even listens to that garbage. I know people are gonna hate on me for saying that but seriously, these guys are a joke.

As for M.I.A, I left about 15 minutes into her set. At least I wasn't alone because as I was walking out others were doing the same. I hope she saw, from the stage, the ton of people leaving her show. It was a very disappointing experience from just getting to governors island to standing there with a bunch of idiots dancing to bullshit music. It safe to say I would never go back to something like this every again. I am much happier staying at home and listening to M.I.A's album where it actually sounds good.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 9:33 AM

Does MIA make a good hummus?

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 9:44 AM

I'm glad you people actually MADE IT to the show! After researching my travel options prior, I decided I'd take the Brooklyn Pier 7 Water Taxi. I get to BK at about 8:30, hoping to catch Sleigh Bells. I waited in Brooklyn with about 65 other people only to be told by the BK Parks Department that the Water Taxi there was no longer running!!! Weighing our options some of us decided to split a cab and get our asses to South Street Seaport to catch the ferry. We get there at about 9:30 realizing we are going to miss Sleigh Bells and see a line spanning two-three city blocks for the ferry. In an effort to clear the line, the moronic security guys have the crowd FILL the area before the ferry which resulted in my getting nearly trampled and surrounded by asshole hipsters standing on top of me. At this point it's 10:30, I've clearly missed Sleigh Bells and I'm over the WHOLE mess. All I can think of at this point is, "I've already seen MIA, this bitch isn't even worth this hassle, this is going to be a HUGE mess exodus later, f*ck this shit". SO I peaced out before getting on the ferry. In my 32 years of living in NYC and going to shows this MESS was the MOST poorly executed I've ever experienced. NEVER AGAIN. I'm glad you all are saying the sound sucked & I prayed for the rain as I left the downtown area. This makes me feel better for my $120 ticket loss.

Posted by Dnice | July 26, 2010 10:04 AM

Someone fell off our ferry on our way back to the Seaport after the show. Good times...

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 10:19 AM

TRYING TO SELL AMERICAN APPAREL ON EBAY - DAVID SANDERSON

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 10:37 AM

MIA:2005 :: DIE ANTWOORD:2010

MIA:2010 :: DIE ANTWOORD:2011

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 10:51 AM

HARD was terrible. Skream+Benga's set might as well have been a fucking bitch-ass version of a hardcore show. Some wannabe punk chick almost got trampled and her nose was completely fucked. HARD were missing press passes, photo passes and their "on-site" peeps were OFF-SITE and bitchy.

PS - DESTRUCTO you need to not play the same Michael Jackson loop for 20 minutes.

HARDFAIL

Posted by electrodrone | July 26, 2010 10:52 AM

Sleigh bells I have looked forward to seeing for a long time. Vocals were a tad less polished than I expected, but otherwise great show. Skream & Benga killed it.
Die Antwoord I was also looking forward to seeing, and were awesome. Musically ok, but it's the whole schtick that is the reason to see them. Their 15 minutes were when they broke, and the show would have been truly insane back in April or so.
MIA was ridiculous, she's not really my thing, but even taking that into account, it was utter and complete crap. Time to change that shit or get out of the game. If you're pissed about another band, why take it out on the crowd? Don't want a shot taken of your coochie? Don't wear clothes that lend themselves to that angle when the only place photographers are going to be is right below you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 10:54 AM

Hey Dnice, it's me Mark: The guy who you gave a ride to with his bf to the Seaport from the BK sham of a ferry. Jonny and I kept saying we wished we did what you and Jeff did and not bothered going at all.

We got to the island as Sleigh Bells were finishing their set, and we got in the gates after they were done. MIA was total garbage. We left during Teqkilla because we couldn't hear anything she was saying and because she took a song that already drags on for 6+ minutes on her album, and made it go for over 10 minutes live.

We got soaked on the way back to the ferry, as we couldn't get back on where they dropped us off. We literally had to walk about half the perimeter of the island just to get on a boat. Then some asshole either jumped or fell off the boat right before we got back. God people are stupid.

All in all a shit night. Now I know why it was called Hard Fest. Nothing about it was easy or fun.

Posted by Mark | July 26, 2010 11:04 AM

MIA's cooch must be hairy like a tiger.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 11:11 AM

@7:50

i laughed!

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 11:39 AM

FAMILY VALUES TOUR 2010

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 11:41 AM

headline: BOOOOOOOOOOOBS OMG

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 11:50 AM

Looks like she is like spitting nicely. Which is the wack-shit. If you're going to spit at a photographer, do like 2Pac did - with honest anger and contempt.

Also, PS - does Sleigh Bells girl have a fat ass? Can't tell, but its lookin like it. Not bad. Keep it up girl

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 12:16 PM

The comment about Die Antwoord that "these guys are a joke. " is amazing.

Do some research knucklehead they LITERALLY are a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 1:18 PM

@dnice Given the hit-or-miss experience of getting to the island itself, you should definitely have given yourself more than an hour to make it there. I feel like most of people's problems with venues in NYC would be rectified if they showed up 45 minutes earlier.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 1:40 PM

Sounds like MIA's 15 minutes are just about up.

Die Antwoord, on the other hand, might be only 3 or 4 into theirs.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 2:55 PM

the girl in Sleigh Bells is far from chubby...

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 4:39 PM

I would of spit on em too.. pervs

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:29 PM

MIAS was born Sri Lanka, imbecile

Posted by maz | July 26, 2010 6:04 PM

If you missed the show because of the transportation, you should dispute the charge with your credit card and get your money back. You paid for the cost of the ferry in your ticket price and didnt get what you paid for.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 6:28 PM

"2:08 likes chubbie girls and poor grammar."

Looks like someone is one those annoying people that point out bad grammar. I think "chubbie" should actually be "chubby" by the way. See how annoying that kind of shit is?

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 6:50 PM

what a bullshit post. the headline says "Die Crap" steal the show, and to emphasize this, you post a review conveniently by "anonymous" that basically attempts to make M.I.A. look as if she hates her fans. Then, you place her pics LAST when this bitch is the one headlining the show. You obviously have issues with this woman.

Posted by Grammar | July 26, 2010 10:09 PM

sounds like you hipsters need to stop the MIA hatin' and move on to whatever band pitchdork instructs you to love next....

MIA has always been inconsistent. thats part of her appeal. At Vegoose a few years back she totally killed...(blowing P.E. off the stage.)

Its funny to read the hipsters suck on sleigh bell cock and than diss MIA.

you suckers do know they're on her label?

As for Die Antwoord.... I dont listen to Eminem so why would I be down with the white african version?

Posted by smitherSOCAL | July 26, 2010 11:04 PM

2:55

unfourtanatly.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 11:33 PM

Stop Complaining! If you went to HARD for M.I.A I don't feel sorry for you.

The ONLY reason I went to this show: Skream and fucking Benga. And they delivered. By far the best set of the night.

If you didn't enjoy Destructo dropping sick electro house or Borgore and 12 Planet rewinding some filthy dubstep, you shouldda stayed the fuck home.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 11:44 PM

Maybe M.I.A. is afraid her secret will get out-- that she's a no-talent ugly pig.

Posted by MJ | July 27, 2010 1:46 AM

@11.04-

worst. post. ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 2:57 AM

that fuck u from MIA was to the sound guy

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:57 PM

mia has an attitude problem...

Posted by asdf | July 27, 2010 9:51 PM

the only reason why most people are saying this show sucked is because they stayed near the hard(main) stage. skream and benga were the only ones worth seeing over there, and on the harder stage borgore and 12th planet were amazing. the crowd on that side had so much more energy than at the main stage

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:50 PM

@ 11:50

fucking right. there's a reason it was called the harder stage. it got god damn rowdy over there. borgore almost killed me crowd surfing and everytime his shit dropped the crowd WENT OFF

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 6:19 PM

get your South African ZEF tshirt at MemeTeeOnline

Posted by Memetee | August 18, 2010 7:26 PM

Die Antwoord is not a joke at all folks, if you still think that hey are...start reading their history. They've worked on a career like this for years as you can see in several stories, pics and videos on the zeflings site. ( www.zeflings.com ) Real deal

Posted by Jaybob skiff | October 5, 2010 2:02 PM

sorry, here the correct link for all the die antwoord fans who like to know more: http://www.dieantwoordzeflings.com

Posted by Jaybob skiff | October 5, 2010 2:04 PM

Lush Acres EC will be accessible with Kupang LRT Station as well as Sengkang Bus Interchange. It is also right beside Tampines Expressway(TPE). Lush Acres EC is also near to Marina Country Club, Sengkang Riverside Park and Sheng Siong hypermart in Punggol Central.

Posted by EC in Sengkang | June 17, 2013 10:00 PM

I really like your post. I gained a lot of useful information from this post. Thank you so much for sharing this post to me.

Posted by tp 180 | August 2, 2013 1:21 AM

I am a person more unconventional, I think that's why I like the outfit's from the pictures above. An artist must differentiate in a certain way from ordinary people, and these ones don't seem exaggerated.

Posted by Elna | November 28, 2014 10:49 AM