Posted in music | pictures on July 28, 2010

photos by Vincent Cornelli

Flaming Lips

"Everyone always says that when bands play places like L.A. and New York that no one wants to have a good time," frontman Wayne Coyne told the giddy crowd at Manhattan's Terminal 5 before The Flaming Lips' show last night. "But I think that's fucking bullshit!" [SPIN]
The Flaming Lips played the same 14 songs they played at Central Park Summerstage one night earlier, last night at Terminal 5 in NYC. The show was the 2nd of five SPIN/Zync shows happening in NYC this week. Catch the Lips on Letterman tonight (7/28). More pictures and the selist from Terminal 5, below...

Fang Island...

Flaming Lips...

Flaming Lips

The Flaming Lips Concert at Terminal 5, New York, NY, USA Setlist on July 27, 2010
1. The Fear
10. See the Leaves
11. Pompeii Am Götterdämmerung
12. Taps
13. The W.A.N.D.
Encore:
14. Do You Realize??

I haven't checked, but let me guess: same setlist two nights in a row?

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:45 PM

Flaming Lips are like the Ground Hod Day of a shitty trip you would have only enjoyed in your late teens.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:46 PM

ground hod?

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:48 PM

It really is sad..any band with over 200 songs shouldn't play the same 14 all the time in the same order. ZZZZZZZZZZZZ!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:49 PM

tired shtick is tired

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:50 PM

Better last night than at Summer Stage the night before. Both were worthwhile.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:53 PM

Michael and Wayne even wear the same clothes all the time!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:54 PM

I bet that bubble reeks of Coyne by now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:56 PM

amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:56 PM

They're better than 99% of the bands and have been doing this longer than 99% of the bands that are mentioned here so SHUT UP!

the Flaming Lips are a great live band and you should be thankful that they're still playing shows....

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:57 PM

Littering all that confetti all over the coddamn place just ain't green, man.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 12:58 PM

12:57..they used to be better than 99% but they are going backwards now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:01 PM

I had a great time yesterday.

September at ATP was the first time I had seen them since the Soft Bulletin and it was a reasonably different setlist yesterday and back then.

I have an issue when a band plays the same songs over and over across multiple tours, but it is not practical for a band like the Flaming Lips to change up their set every night on the course of one tour.

Posted by noamjamski | July 28, 2010 1:05 PM

1:05..this is true however I for one would like to see them play a rock show without all the spectical. Just get a screen and some strobes and play a varied career spaning set. Throw a few bones to the fans once in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:06 PM

lips sounded great, but this place was way overcrowded. and people were NOT friendly.

how bout if you see a band as positive as the flaming lips, you leave the shitty negative attitude at home

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:08 PM

First let me say that I LOVE the Lips! I'm a huge fan and have been for a long time. With that said, I think it sucks that they play the SAME sets on multiple nights in a row. SERIOUS BS!

Any band with that many songs should switch it up on the daily....ESPECIALLY a band lately associated with the jamband scene! Maybe even throw in a rare classic here and there.

Ok, I will still love Wayne & Co., see them any chance I get, but come on guys...NEW SETLIST PLEASE!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:10 PM

1:10 exactly!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:13 PM

"let's hope they'll play MSG on New Year's eve again but I'm betting LCD Soundsystem will be taking over MSG this year...."

have you been living under a rock? lcd are breaking up, this is the final tour

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:16 PM

Yesterday I put Cayenne pepper on my hummus, so I had them flaming lips too.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:17 PM

It is indeed lazy to play the same songs night after night, and the stage theatrics are feeling old at this point as well. Perhaps Wayne's well has started to run dry.

I hate the fact that they played this show at Terminal 5, which is a shitty sardine can of a venue. The crowding leads to the type of negativity mentioned in an earlier post.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:20 PM

Anon 1:16pm....I guess you didn't read the interview from Pitchfork in which James mentioning about MSG show.

Anon 1:10pm....if you've seen F. Lips over the years, they change their set list maybe every 4 years or so.....

the new songs sound wonderful live so people just need to get over it!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:23 PM

Amazing pictures.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:24 PM

i don't know why people are complaining so much about the setlists being the same all the time. last time they played NYC was in 06! and that was definitely a different setlist from then.

and the new songs sounded great and were the highlights of the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:30 PM

oh, and great pics!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:31 PM

People complain about the setlist because we are not going to a Broadway Show we are here to see a concert..BTW they played many shows near NYC between 06-10.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:33 PM

Maybe the people at the Flaming Lips shows are all first-timers? I was thinking the same thing as the posters above - I saw them do the exact same schtick with the confetti and the screen and the ball 11 years ago. Snore.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:36 PM

I admit it the Flaming Lips show would be great as a first timer but they are sticking it to their fans the ones who see them more than once and have been with them for decades..

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:39 PM

1L06 I hear you. I saw them a bunch in the Transmissions era where they only had the Christmas lights draped over the amps. Would love to hear stuff like Unconsciously Sreaming, Slow Nerve Action etc again.

However they are definitely on a different trip right now. They definitely establish a vibe and a lot of those tunes just wouldn't fit. Maybe "Turn it On." I would follow them around like the Dead if they put that back into rotation....

Posted by noamjamski | July 28, 2010 1:39 PM

i dont get it...ive seen them a bunch, and i dont get tired of it.

it's a good schtick. and if it aint broke, dont fix it.

they're still doin the same thing for 11 yrs? awesome for them! they're still selling out shows all the time so they must be doing something right.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:40 PM

you must have the greatest memory ever to be mad about having a similar experience 11 years later.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:42 PM

and how come no one mentioned the nitrous party in central park the night prior?! that was hysterical.

literally...hysterical.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:49 PM

Wayne Coyne signed my 8 oz. container of hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 2:10 PM

also lots of nitrous last night

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 2:11 PM

2:10 ha ha nice try you can't bring Hummus into T5!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 2:15 PM

@12:57 - I agree that they are better than 99% of bands out there, but don't you want them to be better than 100%???

The talent, concepts, chops and potential is all here, that is what is so frustrating about these same old karaoke concerts!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 2:15 PM

2:15 - they have a drummer and a multi-instrumentalist now. The shows don't have the "karaoke vibe" that I agree they had when they started doing these crazy multimedia shows.

Posted by noamjamski | July 28, 2010 2:37 PM

@2:15

What "karaoke concerts" are you referring to exactly? If this comment were made a couple years ago, I'd wholeheartedly agree. But the new setlist is a great departure from the "hit machine" setlist they've been resting on for the past decade.

Centering the show around the Embryonic material has completely changed the mood of their entire set. Even old songs like Jelly and Do You Realize take on a heavier tone to better fit with the fuzzed-out experimentation of the new songs.

I've also never seen them jam so heavily before. These guys are showing off some serious chops on this tour and it's absolutely amazing to witness. It completely blew me away, I had no idea they had it in them.

Now, you may want them to bring back some older gems or change up the setlist nightly, but that's just not how the band works. The show they put on is exactly that, a show, which is planned and rehearsed until it's perfect. To mess with that on a nightly basis would undermine the atmosphere they're trying to create.

If you don't want to hear the same songs two nights in a row, only go to one show. I for one would gladly see them again on this tour, if only to have the chance to more fully absorb what they're doing.

Posted by FRX | July 28, 2010 2:45 PM

using reverse psychology on your fans, bravo. why not just say, "if you guys aren't really into this show we're gonna look like a bunch of clowns up here doing all our gimmicky nonsense, we're a lame band and our music is terrible". in ny and la we can walk out our door seven nights a week and see 100 different bands, while those in madison, wisconsin going to a show marks one of the most epic nights in their lifetime.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 3:10 PM

These photos look like a pool of vomit.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 3:12 PM

I agree with FRX. If it's getting tired to you, don't go to every show within a 200 mile radius.

@ 1:20--you have got your head up your ass if you think you can call Wayne lazy without a rebuttal. He is the exact opposite of lazy, hence the brilliant theatrics of the shows. Also, do you realize how much additional coin this band could bank if they did away with the extravaganza?

Can't wait for the Pavement debacle to come to town...

Posted by tin lizzie | July 28, 2010 3:25 PM

@2:45...."These guys are no longer the scrappy band of misfits they once were, throwing some xmas lights on a wall and just making noise. They're the modern day Pink Floyd, putting on a concert that is as much theatre as it is musical performance."

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I love the Flips, but please NEVER compare them to Pink Floyd!!! For that matter, please don't compare ANY living band to the genius of Barrett, Waters, Gilmour, and co. The Lips are a great band but 100% pale in comparison to Floyd.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 3:37 PM

Can we hire some professional therapists to monitor these boards?

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 3:41 PM

"I expected something different last night, like Wayne Coyne to come to my house and make me a hummus sandwich. But it didn't happen; they just did the same thing that has led to consistently sold out shows for years. So I'm going to cry about it."

Reset your expectations, doucheheads. Or stay home.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 3:47 PM

@3:37

You obviously haven't seen the new stage show. The comparisons are warranted.

Posted by FRX | July 28, 2010 4:04 PM

@2:15 and 3:37,

While they both are a spectacle, the difference between Floyd stage shows and Lips stage shows is that Floyd switched it up so that every tour was unique! For Animals they had the giant inflatable pigs, for The Wall, they constructed an actual wall! Each tour was its own monster. Sure the Flaming Lips throw in songs from the new album, but Wayne has basically been shooting confetti and rolling around in that bubble for a decade now.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 4:25 PM

Messiah Complex now in covenient Bubble Form.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 4:29 PM

I wasn't at this show, but I saw them in Mass this past Saturday. My first Lips show and I had a blast, as did the rest of the audience from the vibe. Fang Island put on an a great show as well.
People like to complain about things they'll never do. Get over yourselves. These guys put on an amazing, entertaining & fun show that still sells out venues after years and years of touring. They sure must be doing things the wrong way...

Posted by Derrick | July 28, 2010 4:42 PM

I would have loved to hear something off their first LP, something like Bag full of Thoughts, or My Own Planet....but the show in Central Park was beautiful and very positive...amazing how the Flaming Lips have carried on and stayed creative and successful while still being wierdo's for all these years....amazing

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 5:10 PM

I want to capture Wayne Coyne and his bandmates and force them to do a show with no props or gimmicks. I bet they couldn't do it any more.

At Pitchfork '09, after waffling on the agreement to do a setlist chosen by the fans, Coyne impudently announced they wouldn't be following that list after all. "We play what the fans wanna hear, EVERY night." Oh, okay, Wayne.

This band used to be the most cutting-edge thing there was, and now they are just a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Derrick, if this means I should "get over myself," then just disregard. I don't think their current live show is fun or entertaining. I walked out of their Pitchfork gig and went and watched some Afrobeat group. That doesn't make me better than the fans who stayed, but it means there's one less person still buying into their tired shtick.

Posted by LKJ | July 28, 2010 5:10 PM

@4:25

The balloons and confetti aren't the part of the show I'm comparing to Floyd. It's the extended, spaced-out renditions of the Embryonic songs like 'The Sparrow Looks Up At The Machine' and 'See The Leaves', along with the phenomenal 'Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung' that really welcome the comparison. I've seen this band plenty of times over the years and I've never see them turn their songs into such epic space odysseys.

Posted by FRX | July 28, 2010 5:15 PM

After reading numerous commands in the above comments of what Lips detractors "should do," "need to do," etc., including a command to "reset [our] expectations, doucheheads," I have to chime in again. I think the novelty of the Lips' ongoing theatrics comes down to two camps: diehard fans who simply love the gimmickry (which is fine), and new attendees who have never seen it before. There's a reason that millions of people go to Walt Disney World, and many of those over and over. The Flaming Lips have just become a trip to Disney World for me. It was fun once, but I don't need to go year in and year out. Sure, those of us who saw them regularly ~20+ years ago miss the scrappy young Lips with no stage gimmicks, and it is unlikely we'll ever see that again. My fatigue of the modern-day Lips show is rooted in my belief that the group once regularly trod new ground and with every new tour there seemed to be something different and exciting. Now, the whole band is summed up in my mind by Coyne in that damned ball for the billionth time. To continue someone else's Floyd analogy, it is like if Pink Floyd stayed together forever and did The Wall EVERY SINGLE TIME they played, forevermore. Some will undoubtedly think that's awesome, and there would be plenty of new kids every few years to see it for the first time, but for those who knew them before it would get a little dull.

Posted by LKJ | July 28, 2010 5:19 PM

Thanks so much for posting the setlist! I went to the concert and also took photos but your camera has a better quality and has sharper images. But all the same, thanks! It was a kick ass concert, so surreal and psychedelic almost like kurt cobain and jim morrison were resurrected and performed together. I wasn't familiar with their music until I went last night as a treat for my brothers birthday- now I'm enamored!

Posted by GV | July 28, 2010 5:58 PM

asia dog is awesome

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 6:26 PM

Long time fan, never saw them live before monday. Had an ok time. I always thought if you had to be on drugs to appreciate something it isn't worth experiencing at all. It was a fine show butttt my not even buzzed off an $18 plastic cup of wine wasn't having as much fun as those blowin god's green herb all over the place.

once thing though.
god that animal sounds song was awful and insulting, why would they make that 1/14 of their set?

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 6:39 PM

@ 3:12 "These photos look like a pool of vomit." concur. just another hipster thinking hes a pro bc of his gear. LIGHTROOM PRESETS!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 7:02 PM

Opinion and Opium seem so similar on this thread.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 8:17 PM

Seriously, the Flaming Lips did a GREAT effing job last night. Who cares if they played the same set-list a bunch of shows in a row, you would do the same if you had to play back to back shows.
Being in a band[a popular one] is tough work, and sometimes it's hard to be extremely creative when you have such a short time to get ready. All of the people complaining about this should shut up, you aren't the ones who have to set everything set up for a huge show like that.
Also Wayne spoke about peace last night, if you liked the Flaming Lips message, you shouldn't try to pick fights,it's all about peace, right?!

This show was such a great experience for me, I can't believe how amazing it was, I was touching the stage front and center, you can't experience anything better than that at a show. Esp when you got to have a tug of war over a gong beater with Wayne Coyne!

Posted by Jessica L. | July 28, 2010 10:03 PM

People who complain about the concerts they see are idiots. Why do you take the time?

This is the Flaming Lips we are talking about. Loved by many.

You are a lonely blogger, hoping someone will read your post. Go do something useful with your life.

Complainers are lame.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 10:04 PM

7:02 hilarious comment about hipster photographers. or should I say "enlightened artists"

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 10:20 PM

i saw them at house of blues in atlantic city on the fourth of july, my second time (first in 2002, yoshimi tour) and my bf's first, we were both highly entertained!

Posted by Deb | July 28, 2010 10:47 PM

Ruined by being at Terminal 5. I hate going to shows there because unless you are willing to get there early enough to get close to the stage you are not going to see anything and he sound is going to be lousy. I just can't handle rushing the floor at 7pm and standing in the claustrophobic crush, through an opening act for 2 1/2 hours waiting for the opener. By the time they come on I am not even looking forward to it any more. I have tix to 2 more upcoming shows at T5 and I am going to get rid of them. It just is not worth it.

Posted by eekahil | July 28, 2010 10:49 PM

Fang Island!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2010 4:21 AM

10:04 I am complaining about a show I didn't even go to! I would like to see them again but i have seen this show many times before...

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2010 7:44 AM

bag check was only $3. check your oversized bookbags you chumps. you ruin it for all those around you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2010 8:13 AM

"two camps: diehard fans who simply love the gimmickry (which is fine), and new attendees who have never seen it before."

There are definitely more than two camps. What about the longtime fans that have gotten bored with the gimmickry?

I remember the cool experiments they did back in the days. Boomboxes were cool, headphones were a waste (but still interesting), but in the end, the band did it to challenge themselves and do something different. They are no longer doing anything different. Quite the opposite, they developed a very rigid formula that they can no longer deviate from.

That said, Embryonic is a good record. They are taking *some* chances.

Anyone remember the brain degeneration tour? Best non-festival lineup ever!

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2010 8:15 AM

jealousy. what a bitch.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2010 8:48 AM

Yeah, everyone is complaining because they are jealous of....give me a break

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2010 9:02 AM

8:15 My "two camps" illustration was of people who actually love the modern-day Lips concerts.

A longtime fan who's grown weary of their shtick doesn't qualify as such.

(Incidentally, immediately after I wrote my post a girl wrote in saying how much she loved the show--and she'd never heard a note of their music before. Then she went on to glowingly compare it to Cobain meets Jim Morrison. I rest my case.)

Posted by LKJ | July 29, 2010 12:47 PM

@7:02 TRUTH I bet this photographer works for free. Hack. Faux-Pro Hipster.

Posted by Anonymous | July 29, 2010 3:33 PM

I think the photos look great and you should stop the hate.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2010 4:34 AM

and procreate.

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2010 7:55 AM

the photos are awesome. let's see your photos?

Posted by Anonymous | July 30, 2010 3:23 PM