Posted in music | tour dates on July 15, 2010

Guided by Voices

Over a month after they play the sold out Matador Festival in Las Vegas, the reunited classic lineup of Guided by Voices will end a tour with a show at Terminal 5. The November 7th NYC date will be opened by Blitzen Trapper and tickets go on sale July 23rd at noon.

And it ends up the tour will actually be kicked off on September 30th at East Side Drive in Austin (two nights before they play the Matador fest). All dates are being opened by either Times New Viking or Blitzen Trapper. On November 4th, GbV will make an appearance on the Jimmy Fallon show. All dates and on-sale times, below...

Guided by Voices - 2010 Tour Dates
9/30 - East Side Drive, Austin, TX (On Sale 7/16 at 12pm) *
10/3 - Pearl Theatre @ Palms Hotel, Las Vegas NV SOLD OUT Matador at Twenty-One Las Vegas
10/4 - Wiltern, Los Angeles CA (On Sale TBA) *
10/5 - Warfield, San Francisco CA (Pre-sale FRI 7/23 10am-10pm password "bee thousand", Regular On Sale SAT 7/25 at 10am) *
10/7 - Crystal Ballroom, Portland OR (On Sale 7/20 at 10am) *
10/9 - Showbox So Do, Seattle WA (On Sale 7/26 at 10am) *
10/12 - First Avenue, Minneapolis MN (On Sale 7/16 at 12pm) *
10/13 - The Vic, Chicago IL (On Sale 7/24 at 10am) *
10/15 - Southgate House, Newport KY (Cincinnati) (On Sale 7/16 at 10am)
10/16 - Outlands Live, Columbus OH (On Sale 7/15)
10/21 - 9:30 Club, Washington D.C. (On Sale 7/17 at 10am)
10/22 - Cat's Cradle, Carrboro NC (On Sale 7/16 at 10am)
10/23 - Buckhead Theater, Atlanta GA (On Sale 7/24 at 10am)
11/4 - Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (On NBC at 12:35/11:45C)
11/5 - Paradise, Boston MA (On Sale 7/17 at 12pm) +
11/6 - Trocadero, Philadelphia PA (On Sale 7/17 at 12pm) +
11/7 - Terminal 5, NYC (On Sale 7/23 at 12pm) +
* with Times New Viking
+ with Blitzen Trapper

T5?!?!? Ughfuck!

Posted by Anon | July 15, 2010 12:41 PM

Why play the worst venue in the city.....

Irving Plaza, Webster Hall, Roseland so many better venues....

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:42 PM

WHEW! I thought they might pick a venue that people would get upset about.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:42 PM

i seriously don't care that it's Terminal 5
it's fucking Guided by Voices.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:49 PM

Looks like i'm taking the train to Philly.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:49 PM

its more indicative of the lack of good big venues in NYC
Only Roseland & Hammerstein can compare in terms of size for one show at a GA venue and those rooms aren't any better than T5

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:49 PM

anyone in austin know where East Side Drive Inn will be?

Posted by djc | July 15, 2010 12:51 PM

ha ha, yeah, all of you go down to Philly! T5 is perfect for this band, woo hoo!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:52 PM

@1249 - Term 5 is worse just due to the fact it is much harder for anybody to get too. Sightlines are also the worst of venues of that size. Sound, I would agree. All three are about equaly miserable.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:57 PM

East Side Drive In
1001 E 6th St
Austin, TX

Posted by djc | July 15, 2010 12:57 PM

Anyone been to the Trocadero? Sound? Size? Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:01 PM

@Anon-12:41 PM

Why play the worst venue in the city.....

Irving Plaza, Webster Hall, Roseland so many better venues....

---------

Irving Plaza and Webster Hall are less than 2000 capacity. Roseland and Terminal 5 are 3000+. It makes sense they'd play one of those two venues.

Posted by CJ | July 15, 2010 1:01 PM

The sound at T5 wasn't half bad last time I went there. Very very excited for this reunion, and Blitzen Trapper opening for it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:02 PM

Terminal 5 and Roseland are like 10 minute walk from each other

its not like its in Yonkers...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:03 PM

for a band like this, a T5 show is no show at all. Sorry to hear this.

Roseland far superior to T5, but neither one an adequate venue for this show (or any other two-guitar live band). I'll wait till they announce some other date.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:11 PM

"Anyone been to the Trocadero? Sound? Size? Thanks."

the troc is a top 10 venue in my book, so awesome. i miss that place

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:15 PM

Of course I'm going. Of course I'm gonna have a good time.

But Terminal 5 can suck a bag of hot dicks. Fuck that place.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:15 PM

@Anon - 1:01PM

Anyone been to the Trocadero? Sound? Size? Thanks.

-------------------

I've been a bunch. It's much smaller than T5. Maybe a bit smaller than Webster Hall. It's like 1100-1200 capacity.

Posted by CJ | July 15, 2010 1:16 PM

I used to go to the Troc all the time when I was in college....perfect venue for them. The place holds about 1200 if I remember correctly but the floor is pretty small and there's a nice little balcony seating as well.

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | July 15, 2010 1:17 PM

Looks like I'm taking the train to Philly.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:18 PM

JESUS WHEN WILL PEOPLE FUCKING SHUT UP ABOUT TERMINAL 5
FUUUUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Posted by please kill me | July 15, 2010 1:19 PM

do people who bought matador 21 tix feel jipped?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:21 PM

terMEHnal 5?

Posted by jesus christ | July 15, 2010 1:22 PM

>>So New York City is getting shafted with a fucking Sunday-night show at a fucking crap venue?

Looks like I'm taking the train to Philly.<<

Most stupid comment on this thread.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:24 PM

1:21, I was going to Vegas anyway, so Matador 21 was gravy, but this gives me a minor incentive to sell my tickets.

Posted by LKJ | July 15, 2010 1:24 PM

these guys fucking suck. period.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:27 PM

">So New York City is getting shafted with a fucking Sunday-night show at a fucking crap venue?

Looks like I'm taking the train to Philly.<<

Most stupid comment on this thread."

yeah most stupid comment if you work for Bowery Presents.

Actually this comment from the other thread is the worst

"and that is the point. You could still enjoy a show even if the sound is off or the sightline is poor..just have fun and loosen up!"

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:27 PM

Hey 1:27 I actually agree with the last comment you quoted...looks like you are a dummy and a tightass! Go stand there with your arms folded...

BOOOORING

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:31 PM

ha ha ha...1:31 for the win...enough of these lame hipsters at concerts...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:32 PM

not quoting anything buddy, just saying, 2 consecutive posts about this shit band?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:32 PM

People will stop complaining about Terminal 5 when that place burns down. I don't care if it's GBV or John Lennon back from the dead. I'm not paying money to see any show in that shithole. Thanks to all the shows at T5, my concert spending has been cut in half. There are shit load of other things to do in NYC. If you have to see GBV, there is nothing stupid about making a trip to Philly. It actually is the right thing to do.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:36 PM

what is the point of leaving a negative comment? i wish it wasn't T5 either but who's gonna care once they take the stage? "Disarm the settlers!"

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:41 PM

Maybe if you make a day out of it then maybe it is worth it to see them in Philly. If not why spend $40 rt on a train and over 5 hours to get there when you can just waltz over to T5 that doesn't make much sense to me..

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:46 PM

philly is 5 hours away from NYC? since when?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:48 PM

Round trip on NJ transit trains it is!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:49 PM

amtrak dude.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:51 PM

Amtrak is an hour and half but is $45 each way!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:53 PM

why everyone hatin on T5, theres plenty of room to to MEHTH in the bathroom. Anyways, they should just play pianos and burn the place to the ground.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:55 PM

Philly is 2 hours away and costs $20 round trip on a bus that literally drops you 20 feet from the venue.

The Troc is beautiful and less than half the size of shithole t5.

And by going to shows in Philly you are not blindly supporting an awful fucking monopoly (Bowery Presents) that controls your music scene.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:57 PM

YAWN

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:58 PM

"New York City is getting shafted with a fucking Sunday-night show at a fucking crap venue?"

right on. maybe they'll move it to Music Hall like they did with PiL.

just not worth seeing a great band in Terminal 5, since it means neither seeing nor hearing them at anywhere near their best.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 1:59 PM

Train?? Travel much?? Bus to Philly is around $10 each way.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:00 PM

heard they've been doing a 10-minute version of my valuable hunting knife

Posted by citizen | July 15, 2010 2:00 PM

Hey I love T5. I love to get loose and smoke and hangout. The last thing I care about is how a band sounds live in the venue or being able to see. I just want a place to go with my friends where i can drink a ton, smoke my brains out and enjoy my pathetic life. It has not changed much since my frat house college days.

I also love concerts at the Garden. I love to get seats all the way up at the top or in the back and just party with my friends. Most of the time we don't even pay attention to the band on stage.

Fuck all the haters.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:01 PM

Hell yes! for a Austin date.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:02 PM

guided by shit!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:03 PM

This year you get a chance to see GBV, Pavement, Vaselines, Dean Wareham, Swans, etc......AND STILL YOU B!TCH AND ENDLESSLY COMPLAIN!!!!!!!! Enjoy what you have and STFU, you whining sissy F--KS!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:06 PM

"these guys fucking suck. period."

This takes the cake for the most idiotic comment ever made in the history of the world.

Go enjoy hot chip.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:09 PM

2:00 Trains=no traffic.

Bus down the Turnpike is a slow journey!

2:01 you helped confirm the level of stupidity of the posters on this board..thanks for that.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:10 PM

hey 2:03, why would you write guided by shit? you must have something better to do than post negative comments here.

Posted by KP | July 15, 2010 2:11 PM

Yeah T5 sucks balls but its Guided By Voices, did you expect them to play your fucking bedroom?

Quit fucking whining about everything already.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:14 PM

Pollard, Bob

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:14 PM

For the record, GBV kinda RULES!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:15 PM

2:14..hoping they would play in my bathtub!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:16 PM

guided by the MEH of being pure at heart

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:18 PM

@ANON 1:21: do people who bought matador 21 tix feel jipped?

Not at all. Why should I feel gypped? To begin with, Matador never claimed the Vegas show was gonna be a ‘one time only’ GBV show. And it’s not like they’re the only band playing. Have you seen the rest of that lineup? I'm not going just to see them. Plus, from what I hear about the venue at the Palms (relatively intimate, 2,000 capacity, great sound, great sightlines) it’s gonna be an amazing weekend of music.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:19 PM

Yeah, I'll fucking sit around waiting for my train or bus in Philly after the show at 1 in the morning to take me back to my NYC apartment, rather than just jump in a cab from Terminal 5 and get me home in ten or fifteen minutes.

LORD Almighty there are sooooooo many totally FAHKING stoooopid in this world!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:20 PM

2:20 is spot on!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:22 PM

Amen, 2:15. Amen.

Saw Maiden this Monday at MSG, Pearl Jam in May at MSG. Seeing Rush at the beach next Saturday and now hopefully GBV. Great year for shows.

Posted by KP | July 15, 2010 2:23 PM

2:19

Yes, pavement, sonic youth and Belle and Sebastian. All who have upcoming nyc shows in the fall..lol

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:24 PM

Hey 2:23 - yr taste in music is fucking god awful, except GBV...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:30 PM

Have any of you been to Philly? The sound at the Troc sucks worse than T5...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:31 PM

Based off yr musical tastes, you should stay home and not see GBV - They will not let you in

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:32 PM

2:23

Why is it god awful?

Posted by KP | July 15, 2010 2:32 PM

yes and unlike Pavement.. GBV's first announce date isn't the last one they are doing (ie. Central Park)

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:32 PM

Good deals on Philly deals on Jetsetter & Voyage Prive. Whenever a good show is on a Saturday night in DC or Philly, I just make a weekend out of it. Better than going to Terminal 5.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:33 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:33 PM

The Finicky Flier is leaving for Philadelphia, all aboard!

Posted by Scamtrak | July 15, 2010 2:34 PM

2:33

What's wrong with them? I'm pretty sure they'll let me in.

Posted by KP | July 15, 2010 2:35 PM

I saw GBV at the Troc back in 2001? The Strokes opened up. What a fucking incredible gig...

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:36 PM

i didn't realize there was so much hate for T5. What's the issue? I generally think the sound there is ok, but at crowded shows it's really a pain in the ass to see anything. But at the same time I can't think of another venue of the same size that i wouldn't say the same think about (for example, roseland, hammerstein).

Posted by jkristian | July 15, 2010 2:43 PM

Fuck - No Wellmont date? They will def. add more gigs. There are a lot of empty holes in their schedule.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:44 PM

people who would rather skip guided by voices than see them at terminal 5.....
fucking idiots

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:44 PM

T5!? But GBV can only be enjoyed at the highest possible fidelity.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:48 PM

2:44 right on...that or they are just self absorbed snobs..

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:48 PM

2:44 I don't think they would sell a lot of tickets in Montclair. Even in GUided By Voices hey dey they played smallsih venues...the two times I saw them there were less than 200 people there back in 1998 and 1999.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:49 PM

Sunny Day Real Estate sounded great at the Troc when I went there to avoid T5. The people who are really getting screwed here are the fans in Philly who have no idea the NYC folks are going to buy up all the tickets to their show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:49 PM

DERRRRRR LOOKS LIKE I'M TAKING THE TRAIN TO PHILLY

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:51 PM

I think any GBV fan from NY should be psyched to see them do the last gig of their tour in NY (even if it is on a Sunday at T5).

Pass the word, the chicks are back...

Posted by KP | July 15, 2010 2:53 PM

nitrous mafia!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 2:58 PM

Granted T5 is not Irving or Bowery Ballroom but it's really not as awful as you all suggest. The last couple of shows I went to there sounded pretty good (I think they have made some improvements from the early days of shows there), beer and piss lines were manageable, smoking too. You need to get your ass up toward the front half of the room. The biggest problem with sound at all NYC shows is the unending din of chit chat coming from all you assholes in the audience who can't keep quiet for more than 15 seconds while an artist is performing. That's how Neil Young can sound good at MSG playing Harvest Moon and Leonard Cohen at RCMH playing So Long, Marianne--because you can hear a pin drop in the room. So I'll see you at T5 but please STFU during the tunes.

Posted by Tin Lizzie | July 15, 2010 3:04 PM

^^^^

AMEN.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:07 PM

Tin speaks the truth!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:07 PM

do people who bought matador 21 tix feel jipped?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:08 PM

You're all a bunch of pussies. Thanks for reminding me why no one should read blog comments.

Posted by Uncle Bob | July 15, 2010 3:09 PM

JK, I love all of you!

Posted by Uncle Bob | July 15, 2010 3:10 PM

why would anyone from nyc go to matador 21 when all of the bands are playing in nyc - many on multiple days?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:16 PM

Tin Lizzie has made the smartest post on this thread.

How many of you have actually been to Terminal 5 in the last year? The venue has made a ton of improvements. The space still leaves something to be desired, but come on--its a fucking GBV concert. Go to Terminal 5 and have a blast seeing them on the final date of their reunion tour, which translates as possibly their last show ever as this lineup. I would rather be in a 3000-cap venue full of people having the time of their lives than at a venue full of stupid hipsters who stand there with their arms crossed for the whole show. Good riddance to all of you.

also, "I'm taking the train to Philly" is going to become the next BV comment catchphrase.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:20 PM

Headed to Boston for this one. Paradise is killer and Boston crowds know how to STFU, get blitzed and enjoy a show even if they live in a third tier city.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:21 PM

if you all love Philly so much why don't you just marry it !!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:22 PM

@ 3:16 - many reasons:

1) Some people actually like to get out of NYC - believe it or not - and Vegas is fun (maybe not fun for hipster losers, but for most folks)
2) Shows outside of NYC are generally more fun and not full of dorks with their arms folded and douchebags getting drunk in the back
3) According to the whiners on this blog, T5 is so bad that they actually cannot see a show there and would rather travel to another city (laughably absurd opinion) - so why not Vegas.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:23 PM

I agree 100% with Tin Lizzie and 3:20. It's Guided By Voices. I would see them anywhere. Everyone should stop complaining and just be thankful.

The club is open, people.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:23 PM

Because Vegas is a $400 plane ticket at least, plus another $225 a ticket. And yeah, Vegas is fun for skeezy douchebags.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:29 PM

hi I'm typical williamsburg douchebag
bands are only worth seeing if you are close enough to suck the guitarist's dick
otherwise you just shouldn't go, cause the music wont mean anythin
im pissed cause gbv can't play monster island basement

looks like i'm takin' the train to philly

Posted by douchebag hipster on a bike | July 15, 2010 3:32 PM

I see lots of Bowery Presents people in the office with time on their hands trying to curtail the T5 backlash today.

The bottom line here and always when it comes to T5, MSG etc is you have on one side the people like Tin Lizzie who think sound, intimacy and sight are the most negligible of factors. They just want to see the band. So they can overlook the problems and say these bands sound good there. Or they are just deaf or lack any type of quality control. Or think that a venue holding 2000-3000 people is intimate lol.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:36 PM

everyone should shut the fuck up and take the train to philly so REAL fans can see them despite when or where it is.

i think it's just popular to hate on T5. it's not like they're playing a knights of columbus or something.

get drunk. enjoy the band. keep quiet.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 3:40 PM

I live in Philly and welcome anyone to come from anywhere to see shows here. With that said, complainers, people too cool to show emotion (arms folded), wankers, whiners, sissies, scenesters, fancy lads, hummus-heads, blog trolls, and people who talk while the band is playing PLEASE STAY HOME!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:43 PM

Joe rules

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:43 PM

Joe rules

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:44 PM

I live in Boston. Is Terminal 5 like a concentration camp or something? i can't believe NYers are bitching about GBV playing their city. for shame!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:45 PM

>>On the other side you have what i consider real music fans who consider those things to be quite important. They would rather skip seeing a band and not sully the experience. Or they will pay extra in time and money to go somewhere else to see a band they love in a better setting.<<

OMG. It's official, people. The voting has ended. THIS person is the BIGGEST, coolest twatass EV-ERRRRRRR!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:45 PM

Does anyone know anything about the venue in Las Vegas? It might make T5 sound/look like CBGB's for all you know.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:49 PM

Awww BP employee 3:45, did you get your wittle feelings hurt

And to joe, I would think a REAL fan is the one who spends extra and travels to see the band they love if it is going to be a better experience. Just taking the shit they give you and saying yum more please is not a real fan. That is called a sheep and believe me Bowery Presents counts on you to be one.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:49 PM

for 3:49

A REAL fan doesn't have to spend extra or travel. A REAL fan has the songs in their head and their heart and can block out all the bullshit around them and enjoy the band for who they are, not where they are. You are the SHEEP for needing to be pampered and comfortable.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 3:54 PM

vegan'd

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:58 PM

once again, Joe rules

and what's with the BP comment from 3:45?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:01 PM

once again, Joe rules

i meant BP comment from 3:49?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:02 PM

Joe most certainly does not rule. Only a imbicile would think that. Oh wait i forgot where i am. BV commenters. The morons agreeing with other morons.

How you can equate the idea that you would travel to hear a band you love in the BEST possible sounding venue that you can is a need to be pampered is quite ridiculous.

But then again so is calling T5 a venue with good sound.

So yes Joe you rule you absolute fucking idiot. Rock on at T5 nitwit. Refer to comment 2:01 for a great description of who you probably are.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:10 PM

Where the fuck were all of you in the late 90's, early 2000s? This band constantly toured and could barely sell out the Bowery back in the day.

A Maxwell's gig will be announced - mark my words.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:14 PM

Actually a really REAL fan would be cool and just kick back to some hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:16 PM

4:14 go to bed grandpa

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:16 PM

AM radio vibes + hummus + bathing suit = chillwave

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:18 PM

Imma throw an iced DUNKACCINO to my boy Booby Pollard...dude needs to chillllllll!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:22 PM

>> they sold out Irving Plaza like 10 or12 times from 1995 to 2004 .. including 3 nights in a row on their last tour...not sure what city you were in..

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:23 PM

First!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:24 PM

to 4:14

calling people imbeciles and morons and fucking idiots just shows you may be a moron as well. sorry if i don't want to or can't travel to philly to see one of my favorite bands. although T5 isn't my ideal choice to see them, it's where they are playing and there's no control over that. that's where i'll be seeing them. i go to see the band, enjoy time with my friends and have a few drinks. i'm not one of those people like 2:10. do everyone who wants to enjoy the music a favor and do what haters do...stay home. the club is open but not for you.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 4:26 PM

Hey 4:16 - Enjoy the show at T5 you fuck

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:37 PM

to 4:35

that's what i mean. calling people "fucks" because they're going to T5 is bullshit. the show is at T5...let it go. if you wanna go to philly or somewhere else, fine. just don't expect a medal or to be considered more of a fan because you do go somewhere else.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 4:45 PM

Who gives a fuck where it is?! GBV ARE BACK!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:46 PM

thank you 4:46. that's a REAL fan.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 4:47 PM

Word to Joe,
It is not hating if it's true.

Though yes i will be staying home from T5 but i will be going to the troc and enjoying the music. And because of the venue I will be enjoying it in much better sound, intimacy and probably a better crowd.

Which all equals a better experience than you. So fuck off.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:47 PM

actually yeah it is hating. why not support your band on their last night instead of taking away tickets from people who live in philly. and if you think it's going to be a better crowd than that's your problem and you're obviously not a real new yorker. thanks for the fuck off, it shows how intelligent you are.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 4:51 PM

For a band as cool and laid back as Guided By Voices, I am shocked by the comments here. So much hating and negativity. I'm going to have to agree with Joe. I was against seeing GBV at Terminal 5 but I see that it really is about the band and not where they're playing. A real fan wouldn't travel. Those are just people who like to say they traveled to see the show. I hate Terminal 5 but I love Guided By Voices and that to me is more important than the fact that Terminal 5 kinda sucks. See you Nov 7.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:56 PM

seriously, philly blows.

so what if it's terminal 5. it's fucking GBVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 4:58 PM

Seems like not everyone in Philly thinks the Troc is so great anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:00 PM

4:14-comment of the day

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:01 PM

@ 3:36pm (who is also 3:49)

You are my favorite commenter on BV and the poster child for spoiled NY assholes.

I bet you walk around with those giant retarded $400 "DJ" headphones so you don't miss a single blip or fart noise on the latest Animal Collective album.

Sometimes life isn't perfect. Most people deal with it, make the most of a bad situation and get on with their life. You cry like a baby and whine to everybody in earshot. I hope your train breaks down on the trip to Philly.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:02 PM

5:02 it is sad that you are satisfied with mediocrity. i pity you, really

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:06 PM

Nice job, 5:02. You summed it up perfectly.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 5:07 PM

"T5!? But GBV can only be enjoyed at the highest possible fidelity."

^^^this guy knows.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:10 PM

Rush is playing Jones Beach next Saturday! They're playing Moving Pictures in its entirety. Sweeeeeeeet.

Posted by Hoser | July 15, 2010 5:15 PM

5:06, could not have said it better. To 5:02 and that Joe idiot it simply comes down to that.

And 5:02 paranoid freak, Why don't you go round to all the comments and see if you can link which anons are which.

Or maybe i should say nice try Joe in trying to make a diff comment as anon 5:02.

the level of stupidity here is remarkable.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:19 PM

a real fan will go to both Philly AND NYC

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:26 PM

so 5:19, why am I an idiot? Because i choose to see a band closer to where i live? how is that idiocy? idiocy is thinking any of these venues are that much better than others.

and no that wasn't me at Anon 5:02

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 5:27 PM

Agreeing with someone for saying that seeing GBV at T5 is equal to living with mediocrity is an insult to fans AND the band itself. Not seeing them at T5 because you have issues with T5 means you're not a fan at all, period.

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 5:30 PM

T5 blows. Looks like I'm driving to Philly or DC for this one.....

Posted by wingwalker77 | July 15, 2010 5:48 PM

@ 3:36 brush up on your reading comprehension skills will ya? Tin Lizzie says nothing about sound, intimacy and sight being negligible. He says if you want it at T5, then move up toward the front of the venue. Go to all the shows if you can, that would be best. But give me a break, it's GBV-drunken louts all of em.

Intimacy? That's something you do with your boy/girlfriend, not with Bob Pollard. Maybe you'll have one some day.

btw
Doug > Toby

Posted by smack | July 15, 2010 5:53 PM

I'd see GBV anywhere they fucking play as long as they serve beer.

And how in the hell are people still complaining about Terminal 5? The venue has been open for years now. It's not going anywhere. It's the optimal size for a lot of artists. It will continue to be booked and host sold out shows. Get over it and shut the fuck up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 5:53 PM

Posted by Joe | July 15, 2010 6:09 PM

real fans already have tickets to Las Vegas, will be in Austin two days earlier, will go to the Boston, Philly and NYC shows, and will watch the band on motherfukin Jimmy Fallon!

Posted by hell yeah! | July 15, 2010 6:33 PM

Wow...New York wannabe hipsters are the bitchiest bunch of whiners I've ever seen / heard. This is cracking me up. It's fucking GBV! Jeeze people....

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 7:26 PM

this is the most moronic conversation ever

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 8:06 PM

good, but not great band

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 8:49 PM

i think the root of all the hate people here have with terminal 5 is that it is a 3000+ standing room venue and they hate any 3000+ standing room venue (such as roseland or hammerstein) because it either requires you to show up early to get a good spot and then proceed to stand for four hours or you come later and feel like youre far away from the stage and possibly even surrounded by people who talk during the show. That's where the hate comes from. The sound is not ideal but the problem really isn't the sound. Even with great sound, the hate would exist.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 8:58 PM

btw
Doug > Toby

>> Apples and oranges... Doug is better guitar player yes but Toby never played lead guitar.. he played rhythm and Toby had his own great songs he could add to the set plus great soaring backing vocals..
It was kind of a different band when Doug came in.. he made it more Rock with longer solos and riffs and that suited Pollards arena rock leanings.. This classic lineup had more of a weird post punk vibe sometimes

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 9:37 PM

"i think the root of all the hate people here have with terminal 5 is that it is a 3000+ standing room venue and they hate any 3000+ standing room venue"

Wrong. T5 has bad sound. End of story. I am very tall, so sightlines are never an issue with me. Bad sound is. Roseland also sounds terrible, but the location is better and the staff are nice.

Hammerstein has decent sound. Not the best, but it will do.

Hammerstein > Roseland > Terminal 5

Terminal 5 is just a dump with no redeeming qualities.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 9:41 PM

Terminal 5's sound is not nearly as bad as it used to be when the venue first open. The horrors we all went through with Cat Power, Ween, and Gogol Bordello are finished.

I won free tix to Arctic Monkeys in December, and went for the hell of it, and actually had a blast. The sound had improved a lot. Give it another chance.

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 10:49 PM

And now we see eye to eye that another man's trash is collectible. And every weakness is correctible.

Posted by He's The Uncle | July 16, 2010 12:23 AM

No matter when ,where I am pretty sure they are going to rock people would have loved them so if you want to see them then time,money,traveling etc etc doesn't matter.Here I come to catch you at Terminal 5 NYC.

Posted by music coupons | July 16, 2010 3:16 AM

GBV is one of the best bands of all time.

Bunch of Matt and Kim listening mincing little turds, I would like to send half of you to the fucking gas chamber.

Posted by stopbeingsuchfaggots | July 16, 2010 9:46 AM

SBSF FTW!

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 11:15 AM

Fuck them. No Detroit or Michigan date?

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 11:25 AM

seriously, most of the times i've been to T5 the past year the sound has been good to great. the sightlines are still a problem but I usually try to get to concerts early anyways. so many fucking whiners here.

and also judging from the few concerts i've seen in philly, the philly crowds SUCK

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 11:42 AM

Philly sucks period. T5 will be just fine, c'mon people??

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 12:26 PM

And the Troc sucks, period.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 12:58 PM

guided by drunkards

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 2:01 PM

guided by a high school teacher and a bottle of whiskey.

Posted by Anonymous | July 16, 2010 6:28 PM

Going to Philly and I will do my best to acquire T5 tickets as well. As any real fan would.

rdrr

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2010 12:13 PM

philly sold out in 10 minutes.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2010 12:16 PM

I'm a huge GBV fan, but I don't know how I feel about this. It wasn't even six years ago that we were all drinking and crying together at their "final" NY show. I'd like to miss them a little before they have a big reunion. Guess Bob's records aren't selling too well.

Posted by Anonymous | July 17, 2010 3:15 PM

Cuntsburg Fixed Gear Fruits will be the next Pollard side project in a nod to the whinging babies on this board. It's fucking Guided by Voices -- they have fans almost as old as them, that should be like hipster kryptonite, right?

Posted by Anonymous | July 18, 2010 1:48 PM

No venue could dim my excitement about seeing GBV live again. Only the realization - driven home here - that I'll be surrounded by whiny hipster dweebs who all need a hard wedgie and sound beating could detract from the show.

Posted by Bob Pollard's 18th beer | July 21, 2010 2:40 PM

crap. NYC show appears to be sold out. anyone have two extra tickets? my wife and i have been waiting a long time for this show. though, it's the last stop on their tour, i'm imagining them adding a few more nights. i hope. email me if you've got tix. cheers.

natbot at hotmail dot com

Posted by nat | July 23, 2010 1:09 PM

even as an old dude money grab at terminal 5, GBV will kick the shit out of total slacker, wavves, or whatever bullshit non-musician trust-fund-punk "lo-fi" todd p band you are seeing this week

Posted by Anonymous | July 23, 2010 8:29 PM

We made 50 buttons to be given out free at the merch booth at each Guided by Voices show! 20 shows, that Bee 1,000 buttons!
Each batch of 50 have the date and the location! Limited edition, yeh yeh!

Posted by Christen Carter | September 30, 2010 7:35 PM

t5 rules

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 7:58 PM

Really awesome show, but I have to totally agree with the other naysayers above in terms of the sound at Terminal 5. The vocals were good but the guitars sounded like they were underwater (which isn't too much of a drawback for GBV since half of their recordings sound like they're underwater). But the band was great, and the crowd was really good, too. Not a ton of talking (in fact, none that I could hear from where I was). Some good pogoing and general movement, and it also seemed like EVERYONE knew the lyrics to EVERY song; "Echos Myron" was insane in terms of how everyone was screaming along (this goes for even Tobin's quieter songs). Was great to see all the old guys back on stage; really great show. Thanks, GBV.

Posted by scobie | November 8, 2010 8:57 AM

setlist (not that people are clambering here to leave comments):

Posted by scobie | November 8, 2010 12:59 PM

T5 SUCKS. GBV SUCKS WORSE. WORST SHOW OF THE YEAR!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 1:39 PM

looks like a cool long set list. Never heard of them, but they must have played a 4 hour concert!

Posted by Anonymous | November 8, 2010 2:00 PM