Posted in dance | hiphop | music | pictures on July 26, 2010

photos by Matthew Eisman

Ninjasonik / HARD FESTival goers
Theophilus London

"Hard provided a music experience for those New Yorkers who love to rave, get down and dirty with thousands of strangers and weren't afraid to show some skin. (Looks like some attendees took notes from our Summer Music Fest trend report!)

Also, depending on how much you felt like raging, you could choose the "Hard" stage or "Harder" stage. (Which to me, is almost as character defining as choosing between "fire" and "ice" on the Dueling Dragons ride at Universal Studios.) Guests who didn't want to be bothered with making such a life-altering decision set up camp where ever and proceeded with their very own impromptu dance party.

The culmination of the evening came with M.I.A.'s much anticipated performance. Unfortunately, she wasn't properly miked, her voice was drowned out by her mashed up beats, and the only time she was heard was when she was yelling at the sound team...Thankfully mother nature was on her side, and it began to downpour, cutting her set short. At the end of the day the only press she received was spitting in a photographer's face, but all wasn't lost! She brought the noise, and really, isn't that what music festivals are all about?" [Guest of a Guest]

Saturday's NYC HARD FEST on Governors Island wasn't all just M.I.A., Die Antwoord and Sleigh Bells (and more Die Antwoord), it was a 2-stage extravaganza that fit up to 15,000 concert-goers (not sure how many tickets actually sold, but it was far from empty looking) in a large field just a short ferry ride away from South Street Seaport (Pier 11 actually). Destructo, Ninjasonik, Rye Rye, and Theophilus London were also among those on the bill. More pictures from those sets (and the big three), below....

Destructo

Destructo

Destructo

Destructo

Destructo

MIA

More pictures, videos and stuff HERE
and HERE

From the pictures, it would appear that this is the first festival ever where performers outnumbered the audiance.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 4:55 PM

I'd like to take a bat to the ugly blonde guy with the bowl haircut.

Posted by Holy Krap | July 26, 2010 5:01 PM

Prince Be from PM Dawn!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:05 PM

Jesus. This looks like one of the worst things ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:07 PM

4:55PM, first it's spelt "audience." The pictures where it seems like there aren't that many people are from daytime. Most people got there late to see M.I.A., who was scheduled to start close to midnight. Not to mention it was a super hot day. If I was going, I'd make sure to go after sundown.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:23 PM

5:23 PM - "spelt?"

Nice one.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:30 PM

Rye Rye was so great!
seriously was smiling the whole time she was on :)

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:33 PM

Hello,have you ever asked yourself if it is possible to earn money from the comfort of your own home?The answer is yes,and I am gonna show you how on my blog.All you need to do is go on http://neobuxmonex.blogspot.com/ and learn the 100% free,non-time consuming,easy and safe way to earn money from the comfort of your own home.In 2 months I earned little over 80$ and slowly but surely my account gets bigger and I start to earn more money faster then I thought.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:35 PM

@ 5:07 - I think you nailed it.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:49 PM

It is funny people like ninja sonik considering a white dude writes the songs.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:49 PM

die antwoord needs a new hair stylist and costume designer- they look like idiots and are trying far too 'hard'. maybe that's why this festival was called 'hard' as it was filled with bands pretending to be...

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 5:58 PM

How hard are they going to keep shoving Ninjasonik down our throats? I mean I get the commercial potential in a bunch of non-threatening hipster black dudes saying the N word a lot.... oh wait I just answered my own question.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 6:05 PM

Suck on my little Chinese nuts.

Posted by Classic. | July 26, 2010 6:08 PM

SLEIGH BELLS SLAAAYYYYYYYYEDDDDDDDDD

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 6:56 PM

Hey 5:30--from the dictionary:

spelt    /spɛlt/
–verb
a pt. and pp. of spell.

Posted by LKJ | July 26, 2010 7:07 PM

I won't say which one, but there is a living Daniel Clowes drawing in one of those crowd shots. Whoa.

Posted by LKJ | July 26, 2010 7:10 PM

Is dieantwoord over 50 ?

whoa!

Posted by timmy nelson | July 26, 2010 7:27 PM

M.I.A. tweeted that if you got your HARD NYC tix, you can get into the free show she's gonna do when she gets back. excited~~!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 7:44 PM

M.I.A. ...... Can I have my time and money back! You left us in dust with nothing.

Posted by kirk heifner | July 26, 2010 9:13 PM

That member of Die Antwood is the freakiest Albino shemale I have ever seen. Rye Rye is crap. Sleigh Bells extreme crap to. This show looks like a megamare.

Posted by Anonymous | July 26, 2010 10:43 PM

wtf? that crowd look like extras from squidbillies.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 2:33 AM

To all the naysayers on here, suck it! I was there it was good. Not quite $60 worth, but good. Benga and Skream were hard hittin' and Die Antwoord made the crowd go nuts. It was the heat that made everybody tired and the feeling of being processed to get in to the show, if one more person grabbed my balls and I'm not talkin about the crowd. M.I.A. I love you, but baby go back to Diplo if he'll have you. That new shit is not bringin' it. And you waited way too long to play the shit we came there to hear. Thanks for the rain, that boat ride back was stellar.

Posted by strange company | July 27, 2010 11:22 AM

Die Antwoord for the win. I canceled a performance so I could go see them. rock on.

Posted by Dr SUDS | July 27, 2010 6:01 PM

Did anybody see the little human rat girl thing from Die Antwoord turned down the role to play oppisite Daniel Craig in the Girl with the Dragon Tatoo? I would have paid admission just to see see if daniel craig could pretend to want to hit it. Would have been magical.

What evs. Common Fincher!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 1:00 PM

fuck this hardfest. looks fucking lame would not want to roll face to MIA(who is way overated) and sleigh bells is one of the most overated bands in a while. That bitch just rips of karen o's style on stage and clothes

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 11:52 PM