Posted in metal | music | pictures on July 13, 2010

photos by Justina Villanueva

MSG

"Last night at MSG -- in between hopping around the stage like an eager So You Think You Can Dance contestant and sharing the spotlight with a ten-foot, ax-shredding demon creature -- Iron Maiden's Bruce Dickinson demonstrated that not even front men for legendary British metal bands were able to avoid The Decision. During a bit of stage banter, Dickinson mentioned the band had just played New Jersey and promptly received a hearty impromptu round of boos. "It's real easy to wind you up, isn't it?" Dickinson responded. "How would you feel if I mentioned LeBron James?" More boos! (By the way, you haven't heard anyone say "LeBron James" until you've heard them say "LeBron James" in a theatrical British accent from the stage at MSG). Dickinson moved on, touching on the band's recent Canadian trek ... and got even more boos! "Wow!" a genuinely surprised Dickinson shot back. "You hate Canada even more than you hate LeBron James!"" [NY Magazine]
Dream Theater opened for Iron Maiden last night, July 12th, at Madison Square Garden (the very venue Wavves will open for Phoenix at in October). The two bands are on tour together, and as NY Mag pointed out, their show one night earlier was in NJ (at PNC Bank Arts Center). More pictures and the setlist from both shows (well, they were the same), below...

a fan pic (via)

a fan pic (via)

a fan pic (via)

Dream Theater...

Iron Maiden...

MSG

Justina's pictures were only during the first three songs. Here's a few more some fans snapped from their seats...

(via)

(via)

(via)

(via)

(via)
MSG

Iron Maiden - July 11, 2010 @ PNC Bank Arts Center (setlist)
1. The Wicker Man
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:
14. The Number of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

Iron Maiden - July 12, 2010 @ MSG (setlist)
1. The Wicker Man
2. Ghost Of The Navigator
3. Wrathchild
4. El Dorado
5. Dance Of Death
6. The Reincarnation Of Benjamin Breeg
7. These Colours Don't Run
8. Blood Brothers (started out with a Ronnie James Dio tribute)
9. Wildest Dreams
10. No More Lies
11. Brave New World
12. Fear Of The Dark
13. Iron Maiden

Encore:
14. The Number of the Beast
15. Hallowed Be Thy Name
16. Running Free

i've seen iron maiden twice (both times in dubai) and they put on a hell of a show. i'm not even a huge fan but to see bruce's energy on stage at his age is amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 9:15 PM

dream theater set?

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 9:22 PM

smell the glove

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 9:24 PM

dream theater are one of the most boring, worst bands ever

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 9:26 PM

Great show..even if you aren't a fan of the newest material..great pictures

Posted by Jim Idol | July 13, 2010 9:26 PM

wow Dave Murray got fat! And Sixteen songs..pretty weak if you ask me

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 9:33 PM

Are those white Reebok high tops!?! Nothing says metal like the combination of white Reebok high tops and flashy, tight pants.

Posted by Eggs1234 | July 13, 2010 9:41 PM

Justina- congrats on the MSG photo pit! Great shots!

BV- holy crap you used two of my pics in the fan section!

9:22- As I Am, Rite of Passage, Home, Constant Motion, Panic Attack, Pull Me Under

Posted by noamjamski | July 13, 2010 9:57 PM

"Scream for me, LeBron James..."

Posted by M | July 13, 2010 10:03 PM

16 songs may seem short but most Maiden songs are not 3 minute singles. About half the setlist is made up of songs that are over 7 minutes long on the albums. Start to finish the show was exactly 2 hours, which is pretty much standard for major acts.

Posted by BK | July 13, 2010 10:15 PM

No Run to The hills again? What douches..

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 10:37 PM

I had a feeling someone would bitch about no run to the hills/trooper. This is why I keep coming back to see maiden & skip seeing bands such as ac/dc who repeat the same setlist for years.

Greatest live metal band touring today. Some other great moments included the sold out crowd chanting dio & bruce mentioning how other bands can't draw charging $500 & riding hits from 1976.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 11:51 PM

Glad I sold my tix, that setlist sucks. Energy is great and all and I fucking love Bruce, but if I had paid 75-100 bucks to hear that, I would have been pissed.

Posted by Anonymous | July 13, 2010 11:59 PM

If youre bitching about a lack of Run to the Hills, then youre definitely a newjack who has never seen Maiden in your entire life. They played that song every night for God knows how many fuckin years. I'm glad it's getting cut out on recent tours. I knew what the setlist was going into it. The geezers in my section obviously didnt. Maiden doesnt try to hide the fact that they enjoy playing new songs, and they dont try to sucker people into it by making false claims. I thought A Matter of Life and Death was a weak album, but Dance of Death and especially Brave New World (love that record) are good.

"It's easy to wind you fuckers up isn't it? If I were to say Lebron James...:chorus of boos: Let's not go there. Moving on..."

Posted by GregBX | July 14, 2010 2:54 AM

Yeah Im sure the NYC crowd was easy to wind up.
Booing Canada? Silly.

Big lack of tattoos so I hope that doesn't break the hearts of the indie beard metal contingent.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 4:15 AM

these pix make me even sadder that i wasn't able to go to this show! :(

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 9:12 AM

That show was great! I am HUGE fan of Dream Theater and Maiden, both bands who I have been seeing for many years.

Dream Theater proved again that they are most talented band in the world. Nobody has the virtuosity in every position that they do.

Iron Maiden showed why they are the best metal band of all time. Bruce Dickinson owns the stage and I cannot believe how much energy he has.

Posted by Loop | July 14, 2010 9:19 AM

A band with a catalog like Iron Maiden can't mix it up each night? I was looking at the set lists for other dates in north america and its all the same. Wasn't really excited since I'm not into anything after somewhere in time.

Posted by nsfw | July 14, 2010 9:19 AM

If you want to hear "Run To The Hills", you should have seen them during the Number of the Beast tour. Bands should always play their newer, but this setlist is a tad bit too much new.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 9:25 AM

I am kicking myself for not going to the recent Powerslave tour, fuck. No material from Piece of Mind, Powerslave, Somewhere in Time? I don't need to hear Run to the Hills (though I love it), but c'mon.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 9:59 AM

9:59- Iron Maiden aren't great at fan service. It is not their forte. So I think that somehow in their eyes, giving everyone the biggest fan service ever in the form of recreating the Powerslave tour has to be repaid by us paying for the opportunity to only hear new material. That's Maiden for you.

9:19- when you have as big of a production as Maiden has, the trade off is that you lose spontaneity. They have banners and theatrics tied to specific tunes.

Posted by noamjamski | July 14, 2010 10:50 AM

Great, energetic show. Maiden is the best. Even the songs I don't care for on record sounded great live!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 11:30 AM

wow, SICK. great photos. wish i went!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 11:38 AM

I was there. Boring set list. Lacked hits. Still better than thousands of other bands half their age.
Killer show nonetheless.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 11:49 AM

What I couldn't stand about the show was all the coaching to buy the new album. Just say that you have a new one coming out and leave it at that. Trying to get your fans ralled up by saying that there is a bet with the pesky Canadians that as to who can make it No 1 first is just cheap.

Posted by chomp | July 14, 2010 12:08 PM

The set list blew. So many great songs that they could have played and thre did way too much new shit. I was sure that with such a high ticket price IM would deliver the goods. I thought wrong. I'll take Live After Death and save my cash for the Slayer-Megadeth-Anthrax show in October. Now THAT show will deliver!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 12:10 PM

American Carnage tour prices:

Ticket PriceUS $6.50 x 1
Facility ChargeUS $2.00 x 1
Convenience ChargeUS $10.50 x 1
Additional TaxesUS $1.50 x 1
SUBTOTALUS $20.50

A $6.50 becomes $20.50 after fees. Nice!

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 12:35 PM

Oh yeah, I picked up four tickets for $6.50 each, came out to nearly $90 for all four. $2.50 to e-mail me tickets? Really?

My friend bought 4 tickets through live nation for the LA show for $10, came out to $66 total

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 1:11 PM

Yeah those fees ARE crazy- but to see the original Clash of the Titans as Amer Carnage in 2010 is totally worth it. Esp considering that all 3 bands are playing their best 90's material and that Joey Belladona is back with Anthrax (Indians?! I'm the Man?! Caught in mosh?!). This show is going to be fucking AMAZING. I totally see Anthrax, Megadeth and Slayer all bringing exactly what the crowd is there to see with no filler.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 3:27 PM

A big middle finger to all those monkeys who sold their extra tickets to scalpers instead of the real fans who wanted to see the show.

We hope you injure yourself just enough to always remember that you fucked up.

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 3:33 PM

Ho Ho Fuckin Hum

Posted by Anonymous | July 14, 2010 3:48 PM

23rd (!?!) Dream Theater photo--Paul Giamatti on bass?

Posted by LKJ | July 14, 2010 4:43 PM

I am upset about the playlist! I am driving with my son 3 hours so he can see an Iron Maiden Show, don't they know that they have alot of new younger fans that want to hear the hits, we all know they have to play new stuff also but damn mix it up since we are paying $170 for 2 tickets!

Posted by Bob | July 15, 2010 12:04 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:19 AM

"People that listen to dream theatre played dungeons and dragons in junior high. This statement is factual and not open to debate."

I played D&D up until 8th grade. Then puberty hit and I never looked back. Dream Theater do suck. Where's the song?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 12:26 AM

isn't Rush coming to town soon?

Posted by Anonymous | July 15, 2010 3:04 AM

I swear to God. The Maiden "bandwagon jumpers" really kill me. I been seeing Maiden playing live in concert for over 25 years and I thank God that they are doing something different than the people who are bitching and complaining that they didn't do more old stuff. If you wanted to hear the old stuff you should've went to see the "Early years" tour which was the 1st five albums. If you wanted to see somewhat old stuff from the middle years, you should've went to see the "Caught somewhere back in time" tour. They specifically said this pre-tour to the new album will be mostly from the last ten years which is the last 3 albums. I really don't need to hear The trooper, Run to the hills or 2 minutes to midnight anymore. I haven't missed a tour where they havent played those songs and some others that I didn't mention. Please don't misunderstand me, I love those songs but Maiden has such a large inventory of kick ass songs that they can NOT fit alot of them into a setlist. 1 hour and 50 minutes isn't going to cut it anymore. They really need to do away with the opening band and extend there show to 3 hours. Again, please don't misunderstand me, I am NOT directing this at Dream Theater. That was my first time seeing them that night and they lived up to their name and reputation. They kicked ass on every song. That is one tight band and I will be seeing them again in future shows to come. Back to Maiden, Me personally, I would've did the whole setlist with songs from the last 3 albums to keep it all in the same genre. They could've added Journeyman, Paschendale, Mercenary, A different world, For the greater good of God & The Legacy. This would've been perfect, because lets be serious, You may never hear those songs ever again, Where on the other hand, you will still hear the Number of the beast, Iron maiden and Hallowed be thy named, etc.
Overall, the show was great. Both bands are awesome live. Iron Maiden picked the perfect song to dedicate to the late great Ronnie James Dio which was Blood Brothers. I dont know how many of you know this but Steve Harris wrote that song when he was at the lowest time of his life (going through a divorce and his father passing away while he was on tour). This songs is in classic form as the old stuff is and this goes back to what I wrote earlier, if it wasnt for tours like this, we may never hear these songs ever again. Lastly, It did my heart good to see all the NEW people who never seen Iron Maiden before really show their appreciation for a band that gets no airplay on TV or Radio but only through the underground to sell out the Garden again. There was NOT a single ticket to be found outside by scalpers which basically tells you what kida following this band has and is still growing. Glad you all loved the show and hopefully you will all come back for "the Final Frontier" Tour.

Up the Irons!!

Posted by Lakeynyx | July 15, 2010 7:00 PM

I went to the Iron Madien show at MSG on Monday night and I have been to 4 other shows in my life but I have to say that that show sucked. The play list had to many New songs and not enough old stuff mixed in and felt like it was just one big promotion for the New album,no energy in the crowd and alot of disapointed fans. I was not the only fan to think so almost every other person in my section was booing or pissed off at the end because it did not feel like a Iron Madien concert,I have sat everywhere from 2nd row center to 2nd tier and over the years and that concert was not good at all. And not to mention that it was like 90' in MSG and I was sweating my ass off and was saying to myself is this F'IN AC working in this place,after the show a person told me that the temp was set to 85' because only Bruce Dickerson and Maddona demand it to be set because of there voice. Show was terrible and this is coming from a die hard Madien fan that over the years has seen some great shows from High school to Now,I still Love Madien but not that last show.

Posted by Xavier | July 16, 2010 11:37 AM

I forgot to put in there also that the guy who told me about the 85' set at the venue worked for MSG and overheard us fans talking on how the show sucked and the heat. I hope that maybe that Madien comes back next year and makes me forget this last concert because any true Madien fan that was there knows that this was a awfull concert. I had gone to the show with 5 other of my friends and they all said the same thing,they sucked and besides that I spent like $300 bucks for tickets,booze,food,gas,train ticket and misc. only to be disapointed. Hope they come back strong and make me forget this show and turn up the F'IN AC this time so I dont lose 5 pounds from sweating!!!

Posted by Xavier | July 16, 2010 11:50 AM

Saw the tour at the DTE Enerngy Theater in Clarkston Michigan. Dream Theater is such a talented group of amazing musicians. Drummers, you have to admit Mike Portnoy plays those constantly changing and evolving odd meter drum beats while he is entertaining, directing , goofing off, and coming in with huge lush harmonies.
Iron Maiden? what can I say that hasn't been said or thunk already. That band has the whole package talent, energy, vision, heart, camaraderie, imagination, creativity, experience. It's bands like these that made me decide to pick up an instrument!
I paid 42 bucks for my ticket and I feel like I ripped you guys off. Thanks for the unforgettable show. You came into Michigan after doing such choice locations and made us feel like we really mattered. Even though we're kind of the ugly fat chick of the American economic status right now, you guys rocked us like supermodels! Thanks again! Bryan

Posted by Bryan Gumieny | July 19, 2010 7:57 AM