Posted in music | pictures on July 30, 2010

Spiritualized

...with a choir and an orchestra with strings and horns. Mindblowing, mesmerizing, massive, epic, surreal, amazing, glorious, fantastic, "Best Concert Ever", "I can Die Happy Now"... whatever adjective you choose, Spiritualized was it at Radio City Music Hall on Friday night. Jason Pierce and band performed their most acclaimed album, 1997's Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating in Space, in NYC's swankiest venue, followed by a 2-song, 'spellbindingly sensational' encore of "Out Of Sight" and "Oh Happy Day" to close out the setlist.

The Friday night show was the fifth of five ZYNC-presented SPIN 25th Anniversary shows (the other four were all at Terminal 5). And thankfully there was an online stream, so those who couldn't be at the concert, could still experience it live, and can probably experience it later since the whole thing is sure to show up in various bootleg forms including on YouTube fairly soon. Speaking of the stream, since it's Friday night and the show just ended and we won't have any real pictures anytime soon, a whole bunch more stream screen caps that still give you a good idea of what it looked like, continue below...

Spiritualized

Might be show of the year along with.....
1) Jonsi at Terminal 5
2) LCD Soundsystem at MHOW
3) Pavement at Summerstage???

So glad I went!

Posted by Jonny Greenwood is the man | July 30, 2010 11:57 PM

Sigur Ros show is way better than Jonsi right??????

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:22 AM

definitely the best concert I think I have ever witnessed, I'm so happy I came up for it

Posted by Ryan | July 31, 2010 12:22 AM

Might be show of the year along with.....
1) Jonsi at Terminal 5
2) LCD Soundsystem at MHOW
3) Pavement at Summerstage???
4) Making cupcakes and sucking my thumb because I am a huge fucking pussy

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:10 AM

walked in late during come together...after 10 seconds, i knew this would be one of the best shows ever.

phenomenal sound...

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:14 AM

Didn't know much about Spiritualized but was given a pair of tickets. Amazing show, one of the best I've been to in the past few years.

Posted by Josh | July 31, 2010 1:22 AM

this looked special. i should of called in sick @ work yesterday.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:40 AM

EPIC!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:54 AM

Amazing show, but too many assholes on the orchestra floor getting up and moving around to try and take better seats. Sit the fuck down and enjoy the music.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:56 AM

walked up to the box office and bought 7th row orch tix an hour before the show. so awesome.

incredible show, and made slightly more entertaining by the fact that i was sitting about 5 seats away from mike myers. haha

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:58 AM

Wow, this was a night I'll always remember. Show of a lifetime...

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 2:00 AM

Domination.

Posted by panopticon | July 31, 2010 2:23 AM

Best show of the year by a very comfortable margin....best sound I've ever heard at Radio City. Thank you Spiritualized!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 2:29 AM

This guy seemed to be on his iPhone 4 game...

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 2:55 AM

excellent show. flawless sound and an incredible performance from Spiritualized.

also, a big "fuck you" to everyone who felt the need to get up and move around the orchestra. this is not a football game. an especially big shoutout to the asshole in front of me in the striped shirt who would not stop taking flash photography. truly mindblowing how inconsiderate some people can be.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 2:59 AM

What a great night. Thank u Spiritualized.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 6:47 AM

Sorry I missed this due to work. While I generally like sit-down shows, this could have been a worthy exception.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 7:38 AM

^^^"DISlike sit-down shows"

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 7:39 AM

Enough with the "dislike", this isn't Facebook you geek!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 8:16 AM

Decided to go at last minute also...so glad I did...great show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 8:40 AM

1:10 post of the day

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 8:55 AM

I went. It was fun and entertaining. But "show of the year"? Cmon. You need to get out more often. The crowd was a bunch of schlubby 30 and 40 year olds basking in the smug satisfaction of getting a babysitter for the night and reliving the 90s. The whole gimmick of using an orchestra and a choir of black women is embarrassing to witness.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:11 AM

At times I was almost in tears just watching the stream after taking a couple of one hits...so live this had to be transformative. Sorry I missed.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:13 AM

The seat in front of me was empty. Kinda sucks... This show was that close to reaching 'life-changing' status.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:23 AM

It was epic!! I had seats in orch row S, but then my friends and I were able move down the floor closer to the stage. The sound was better there instead of under the overhang. Also I was able to take better photos when we moved closer. The lighting was tricky though so I had to use a fill-flash a bit. Epic show. Just fucking epic.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:28 AM

pretty funny 9:28

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:33 AM

9:11 - Fool. It sounds as if you are one of those poor unfortunate dipsters who refuses to leave the already dead zone of Williamsburg. Cliging onto anything that might make you appear (in your mind, at least) cooler than the rest.

You are sad.

You will be one of those folks looking for a babysitter in the future. I pity the babysitter, or anyone, who has to interact with you.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:40 AM

Peter Gabriel at RCMH in May 2010. Right up there for show of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:42 AM

The Flaming Lips at Terminal 5 was on the same level.
I thought both shows were phenomenal right up there with some of the best stuff I've seen. Cop Shoot Cop was worth the price of admission all by itself.
And I'm not one of those 30 or 40 year olds "basking in the smug satisfaction of getting a babysitter for the night and reliving the 90s." Nothing special about the 90s. I'm in my 50s and I'd put both of the shows right up there with seeing Jeff Beck on the Blow By Blow tour in 1975.
I like to keep my ears open to the music and avoid prejudice about the fans. If I didn't, I'd miss a lot of great music.

Posted by anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:01 AM

the worst thing about people like 9:11 is that when they do have kids, they will try to raise the kids to be EXACTLY LIKE THEM. what a sad thing to do to your kids, 9:11 !!!! !!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:11 AM

Cop Shoot Cop was very intense. And the free jazz horn section was amazing. The sound was great: you could hear the horn section, distinct from the chorus, distinct from the strings. And the guitarists were wild. Who was in the band (names of bass player, guitarists)?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:13 AM

9:11 is a joke.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:17 AM

Spectacular performance by Spiritualized and blown-up to proportions appropriately epic to reproduce the album.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:28 AM

anyone know the name of the hot singer. I was staring at her in her cowgirl boots for a decent part of the evening. great show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:32 AM

Just watching the stream of this Spiritualized show was better than actually being at RCMH for Echo & The Bunnymen's "Ocean Rain with Orchestra" show a while back.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:40 AM

No mention of the huge ass mirror ball that fell when the curtain opened that would of met certain death for the spaceman if he was center stage?...good thing he sits off to the right.

amazing show..out of sight was the best.

Posted by Genius of the Crowd | July 31, 2010 10:46 AM

Thank you, I havnt laughed this hard in a while

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:49 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:52 AM

The concept of trying to "relive" the 90's is laughable. The whole point of a concert like this is to celebrate the fact that this is timeless music, worthy of being appreciated outside the context of the ordinary rock concert conventions. Nobody was reliving anything. It's still relevant.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 11:17 AM

dug the family with a three month-old baby on mom's lap in row JJ.

with no headphones... just letting the blast of 'electricity' soak into those little tiny new ears.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 11:23 AM

I heard if you had a VIP voucher, you got a free, individually blister-packed 8 oz. serving of Spiritualized® Hummus...

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 11:34 AM

Know what else was an amazing show that for somehow you seem to be overlooking? Sonic Boom/Spectrum's two shows here in NYC recently. The better half of Spacemen 3 showing how it is truly done.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 11:47 AM

9:11 is the guy sitting next to me (in the front row, on less), who arrived 3 songs late, was literally surfing the net on his phone during the show & left like a bat outta hell the moment the first set ended, presumably to beat traffic or catch his friends back in bkln.
BV should set up a text system so I could have let the real fans here know they had at least 5 front row songs if they wanted them. Guess I could've twatted that if I could bring myself to use that shit

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 11:51 AM

^ no less

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 11:52 AM

The 90's?

Ladies and Gentlemen We Are Floating In Space = ∞

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:01 PM

I was sitting down in the double letters, and was also amazed of how many people were getting up and down- to get more drinks, make a call,use the bathroom, beat traffic.

And the constant documenting of what you are doing, taking pictures of memories you aren't participating in b/c you are taking pictures is out of control.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:17 PM

I liked teh apollo show a few years back better, just saying...

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:18 PM

maybe the best sound at any concert i've ever been to. so so loud but you could still hear everything clearly. man what an intense show, definitely the best i've been to in years

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:28 PM

Who is Spiritualized?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:32 PM

this show raped my mind

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:44 PM

I heard they were taping this show for a special "I love the 90s" episode on vh1.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 12:47 PM

akron/xtended/family lpr show of the year

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:11 PM

Don't like to say things like this is the best show ever but last nights show was EPIC!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:15 PM

Good grief, vegans are cranky. Gospel choirs and orchestras are gimmick-y? What kind of moron says such things? "Smug satisfaction"? Did your girlfriend leave you for a Pitchfork editor?

It was a concert. Either it was good or bad. This one was exemplary, regardless of who was in attendance.

PS. The sound was impeccable. Clearly, the best acoustics in NYC.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:21 PM

I was sitting next to the guy mentioned in @2:55am. Him and his friend were beyond obnoxious. They wouldnt STFU the entire night and the asshole had to record every bit of the night. On top of it, when he wasnt too busy yapping away, he was busy checking out FB on his iphone.

That doesnt even count the times that they had to get up to drink, use restroom, etc.

Might have been one of the best shows of the year - but people like him can seriously ruin a show.

Posted by neverwhere | July 31, 2010 1:24 PM

Gospel choirs and orchestras are cheesy crutches utilized to elevate crap music. See Rod Stewart, Phil Collins, Spiritualized.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:41 PM

Yeah, 1:41 - I've got a copy of GarageBand! Let's start another 2-person band, that'll show 'em! Spiritualized is EXACTLY like Fill Colons! Punk's not dead!

Booo ambition! Booo!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:53 PM

I think a band with the name "Spiritualized" probably gets a pass on the using a choir, idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 1:59 PM

I dunno dudes. It seems some people liked this concert but then during the show I saw a fuckload of tweets from people saying this was boring and stupid. One chick said it was fail and she was about to fall asleep. whatevs. I got free tickets from my office. The tix said they were like 67 dollars. Not worth it in my opinion. I left before it ended. No need to waste time on a beautiful night.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 2:29 PM

This guy rocked out (literally and mentally) for the entire show. This is 8 minutes of it. In HD.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 2:40 PM

In my top 5 shows ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 3:24 PM

I was thinking "Concert of the Year" when I left last night. Definitely a mind-blowing show. Much better than their Terminal 5 show two years ago. I've seen many Radio City shows, and most can't pull off playing such a prestigious venue. Spiritualized definitely filled the venue completely, both musically and visually.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 3:33 PM

This concert single-handedly erased years of cynicism about the NY music scene. Class act.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 3:48 PM

Absolutely loved this show. Shows like this one demonstrate why it's so great to live in NYC.

This and LCD at MHofW are my favorites of the year so far. Really psyched for Arcade Fire at MSG - GA Floor!!!

Posted by Dan | July 31, 2010 4:23 PM

"during the show I saw a fuckload of tweets from people saying this was boring and stupid. One chick said it was fail and she was about to fall asleep"

liar troll

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 4:32 PM

Why is no one mentioning the fact that they had a t-shirt designed by Helmut Lang ('s art director) and they were selling it for $80! Ridiculous.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 4:40 PM

In my top 5 shows ever.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 4:53 PM

2:29 - make sure you don't ever attend another concert again for the rest of your days. that way, you won't be disappointed or waste those precious nights.

cheers!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 4:59 PM

1:21 - I agree!

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 5:01 PM

This show was epic, with the new arrangements on the verge of unhinging the entire set yet at that vital moment it was always brought back. One of the best shows I've been to.

Thank you Spaceman.

However, did anyone notice how the bass kept bottoming out when the low notes were played?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 5:05 PM

absolute waves of terracotta shimmeringliness along a floating flotilla of saturnine monsoonery.

Posted by brian howe | July 31, 2010 5:05 PM

I predict we see this set-up again someday. All bands these days come back once the money is gone.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 5:07 PM

@9:11 - Come talk to me when you turn 30, asshole! Btw, you also sound like a racist prick! Go fuck yourself.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 5:26 PM

I even heard that backstage was amazing... My friend said they had fresh hummus in the greenroom.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 5:27 PM

This thread reaffirms the irrelevance of Spiritualized.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 5:39 PM

However, This thread reaffirms the relevance of hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 6:22 PM

I think if you listen to Jason's work you'll realize that choirs and horns and strings are neither gimmicks nor crutches rather integral parts of a large part of his output. I loved the show but then again, I'm a 40 something Spiritualized fan.
I genuinely don't understand why people bother going to gigs to talk or surf the web. Can someone please explain? Also what's with all the walking around, up and down up and down? Why? The show's ten minutes old and you're getting up? Didn't you know it was going to start soon? Fuck, I can sit in a comfy seat, and Radio City is comfy, for fucking hours. First time in the Orchestra. I think the balcony has better sound. Anyone agree or disagree. Good show.

Next show's not why Seawolf at The mercury Lounge. I hope they'll let me in or am I too old?

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 6:31 PM

has anyone found any videos from the stream online? I meant to watch it last night but I got drunk and forgot about it

Posted by cliff | July 31, 2010 6:48 PM

Fuck all the complainers. It was mind blowing. End of discussion.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 7:41 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:11 AM

Yeah because the 90's was so long ago. What are you 22 years old? The music that has came out in the last five years, especially in Brooklyn transplant heaven is complete garbage.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:11 PM

9:11 ^ -- It's funny to observe non-Brooklynites get angry at Brooklyn for having a better music scene. Face it: Your beloved Manhattan is just a gated community for rich people who love being within walking distance of a Gap. It's a shitstain. A creative desert. Dullsville of Bankers. Enjoy it sucker.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 9:57 PM

9:57 - Uhhh, like you're a Brooklynite? You probably just moved here from Ohio two months ago. No one from Brooklyn--or ANYONE in the NYC metro area--would call Manhattan a "gated community for rich people."

Go smoke your hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:43 PM

Classic. Sniping about Manhattan v Brooklyn music scenes on a review of an English band.

Inevitable that the crowd age range would slant towards 30s/40s given the album release date don't you think?

Best Brooklyn bands don't come from Brooklyn anyway.

Posted by Anonymous | July 31, 2010 10:57 PM

where's fluffy?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 2:26 AM

We sat in the 2nd floor balcony and the sound was amazing. Never heard anything like this... the sonic clarity was way beyond Sigur Ros at the Boston Opera House, which was the most amazing for me until that Friday night. Thank you, Spiritualized.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 9:39 AM

It was a mundane show. But if you are a huge superfan, you had fun.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 9:41 AM

the enjoyment of the show depended purely on how big a fan of the music you were. (and possibly if you here high).

im a casual fan so i found myself bored during some of the experimental jazz type parts. other parts I really liked.

the sound was fantastic though.

i was completely sober. People around me were smoking up and i think they had a better time because of it.

to call anything "show of the year" is dumb unless you attach a "for me" at the end of it. Whatever music you like the most will be your show of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 11:35 AM

@11:35- I think what you meant to say was, "how big a fan of MUSIC you are." My take on Spiritualized is that he takes all types of music he is a fan of and creates something from it. Not sure why you were there. Maybe you were one of those people who "got free tickets from work". The "experimental jazzy type parts" has always been part of what Spacemen 3 did and Spiritualized and Spectrum. Uh, Sun Ra anyone?

Oh, and, when I read "best show of the year", I (the reader) am assuming the author is speaking on their own behalf and not on behalf of a general public. But thanks for pointing that out. It is really "dumb", isn't it?

Keep it jazzy.
BK all the way.

Oh, by the way, funny about the gated community comment someone made. One, who the fuck cares? Two, being from Texas it's peculiar to watch how NY v BK people get down on internet comment sections. very petty. But back to the gated community comment. Having not been to brooklyn since the 90s (no babysitter needed here), I don't really know what the feel on the street is but by reading snarky comments like this makes me actually think that Brooklyn IS the gated community. It's a fully sustainable community of itself and only of itself- everyone pats each other on the back to commend each's xenophobia. ABC should do a spinoff of that desperate housewives show but base it in the bk.

Posted by hi how are ya | August 1, 2010 1:26 PM

Its Sunday and I'm still thinking about the show. Probably the best show I've seen in over 15 years. Sound was prisitne

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 7:09 PM

The reason dipsters live in Williamsburg is because they cannot hack Manhattan. No need to be ashamed, just admit it. And since their parents are paying their rent, Mom and Dad told them they could not live in the big bad city.

And they believe that Pabst Blue Ribbon is brewed in the old Domino factory, so it is always nice and fresh. Cannot be too far from a minimum of 10 bars which specialize in cans of PBR.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 7:59 PM

7:59 is showcasing some truth... His prose is also quite good and I admire his ability to see things clearly.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 8:33 PM

after arcade fire (officially) jumps the shark at MSG this week, the poor folks in brooklyn will be looking for a new group of messiahs

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 9:04 PM

^ irrelevant?

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 10:38 PM

after arcade fire (literally) jumps the shark at MSG this week, the poor folks at the discovery channel will be looking for a new group of shark messiahs to fill their summer airtime with.

Posted by Anonymous | August 1, 2010 10:38 PM

yawn, why is texas trash giving an opinion on ny/brooklyn?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 12:38 AM

10:38 win

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 1:54 AM

I don't care who you are, playing Radio City in a t-shirt is classless.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 9:59 AM

Hey 9:59, Willie Nelson must not have gotten the memo either. I'm sure you are just being witty and ironic though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 12:08 PM

brooklyn sux everyone there loves the shittyish part of the 8o's thats way all the bands sound like simom le bon
getting his dyck stepped on. go figure....

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:48 PM

Some astonishingly stupid comments here. It also sounds like a lot of people attended the show who don't know the album or the band. "Got tickets from work?" What is this, a hockey playoff? 9:11, you're the chief offender. I cannot wait until you are "30 or 40," bloated, and go to your first show where you're 15 years older than everybody else and feel like an utter fool. That is, if you even like music any more at that oh-so advanced age. You'll instead probably be playing golf, wearing khakis, and losing track of your golf score because you have to answer your wife's texts every 30 seconds about your kids needing you to pick them up early from soccer practice. See how it feels when someone generalizes about you? Do you see how stupid it is?

Every Spiritualized show I've ever seen has been phenomenal. I would've loved to be at RCMH for this one...and I promise I wouldn't have surfed the Web or taken flash photography.

Posted by LKJ | August 2, 2010 4:47 PM

P.S. My comments were about the 7/31 9:11 AM person, not subsequent 9:11 posters on different dates.

Posted by LKJ | August 2, 2010 4:51 PM

I guess I was one of the unlucky sitting in the rear orchestra - the sound was awful, screechy and blaring, totally ruined the show, made worse now by knowing it was just the seats we were in.

Posted by effectsofdrugs | August 2, 2010 8:14 PM

Maybe the sound was better up in the balconies. I was dead center orchestra 20 rows from the stage, thinking this would be a great seat, but from there the sound totally blew chunks. It was so overblown that in the loud passages all you could hear was a shrill gawdawful mess - you couldn't hear the choir 50% of the time. You couldn't hear the strings 90% of the time. There was no discernable buildup of emotion, no overall musical shape, just f*ck*** loud for loud sake. The sound engineers destroyed this show.

Don't get me wrong, I'm no pussy when it comes to loud music. I've heard shows by the Melvins, Sonic Youth, Butthole Surfers, Cramps, Ramones, Stooges,Throbbing Gristle, hell even Slayer where the sound was freaking loud, but balanced, pleasurable - you could actually hear everything that was being played. Cm'on people, you gotta get out more, dig the wax out of your ears, and actually pay attention.

This show was incredibly boring. Compared to the album, this show was a disaster.

Posted by cretin | August 3, 2010 2:44 PM

Amazing beauty and chaos. I have been going to Spzd since 1994 and this had to be one of the best shows I have seen. Jason was better than ever and the band was very tight. One caveat, I thought the bass was mixed down 20% to low from my seat, until cop shoot cop and then it was a perfect. Speaking of bass..Sean Cook is missed, enough said. I wanted more. Clear Rush or Medication in the encore would have sent me over…but a fantastic show overall. Hopefully a DVD/CD will be made for the fans…the show deserves no less.

Posted by Jeff F | August 3, 2010 4:27 PM

Incredibly boring? A disaster? You have horrid hearing and/or were under the balcony, though I don't know how far back the floor went. From the front of the balcony it was absolutely perfect. An astonishingly beautiful performance, with a some welcome tweaks to the arrangements that took already fully realized songs and added even more to them. I just cannot get my head around somebody not being impressed with that show. 400+ shows in my life and it is right there jockeying for the most powerful.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 6:47 PM

I didn't even go to this show, but I bet 9:11 is pretty accurate.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 10:33 AM

You have to be pretty unhappy in your life to turn a bunch of glowing responses to one of the best shows in years into an examination of who was there. Who cares who is there and whether or not they had a babysitter. One bummer about the internet...children who think their opinion is worthy of being heard.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 12:20 PM

HEY GUYS remember when there was no internet and you went to a concert and nobodies opinion mattered but yours?
uggggh!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:09 PM

Amazing show! One of my top 5 of the year! My re-issue boxset with a signed prescription from Jason had just arrived before the show too – I can’t believe there were some still available. It’s unbelievably beautiful! 9:11 you’re embarrassing to witness!

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:42 AM

AWESOME NEW WOMANIZER REMIX!!!

Posted by Nuni | August 16, 2010 11:55 AM

Wow. I have to say I am stunned at these comments, mostly re: the "pristine" sound. I was first row balcony. The bass was so, so loud and buzzy at the lower register that it pretty much ruined several songs.

I thought the opening song was amazing. After that, I guess it's a matter of how big a fan of Spiritualized one is. Personally, I was reminded of why the album didn't grab me more back in the day (I remember I did check it out). I'm not trying to be a troll, but I thought it was a giant wank-fest. Around the 8th song in a row where a semi-interesting vocal line was repeated 128 times in a row (it was fine the first, oh, 12 times), I was just bored. Plus, since nearly every song played like a grand-finale, when the actual grand-finale finally did come, the absurdly over-the-top "jamming" -- the string section furiously sawing away, all three percussionists pounding away, the horns all a-blaring, all 3 guitarists thrashing, for like 12 minutes straight? Comical! It was like an SNL skit.

I'm happy for everyone that loved it so much. Different strokes is all. I listened to the album a few times beforehand, and enjoyed it... I don't know. Just too much excess (and buzzy, booming bass) for me I guess.

Posted by christopher | August 17, 2010 10:56 AM

Fantastic show. I don't care what some little Ohio transplant living in Billyburg thought of it. You annoying little shits need to get a life.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 3:02 PM

3:02 -- was that directed at me?

You said "Billyburg."

Therefore, you are not nearly as cool as you think you are, and you have no business telling *anyone* to "get a life."

BILLYBURG!

Posted by christopher | August 17, 2010 7:05 PM

dude, you're spending your time reading comments to a Brooklyn Vegan article about a show from a week ago, and (a) telling someone else to get a life and (b) you don't care what someone in Brooklyn thinks? Not too convincing.

Posted by Yamchaw | August 17, 2010 7:07 PM

Quite amused by those that feel the need to tear down this show and / or Spiritualized. With as many people naming this best show of their life, best of the year, amazingly articulated sound etc, I'm afraid the battle is already won for Spiritualized.

I can't help but think that everyone else is caving in to negativity as the realization that they'll never achieve anything close to this level themselves dawns upon them.

Posted by Kirstin | August 18, 2010 2:47 AM

so, 2:47, you're really "afraid the battle is won." oh, man - don't be afraid. And you "can't help but think" that anyone expressing disappointment with the show is merely acting on feelings of envy and frustration at their own failures and lack of success? Is it accurate to say this is something you do a lot? Projecting your inferiority complex? You and 3:02 indulge in ad hominem attacks for lack of anything of substance to offer vis a vis the show.

Posted by Yamchaw | August 18, 2010 9:38 AM

What I'm saying is that if 3000 people are under the sun, and 2095 of them agree the sun is wonderful, warm, and bright and 5 say that the sun was boring, cliche, and people were twittering while under it, it's the 2095 who are Right, and the 5 who get on blogs and dismiss the Sun.

Posted by Kristin | August 18, 2010 7:13 PM

"Now this overdone, or come tardy off, though it makes the unskilful laugh, cannot but make the judicious grieve, the censure of which one must in your allowance o'erweigh a whole theatre of others." - Hamlet 3.2.24

Posted by Yamchaw | August 19, 2010 11:40 PM

Great, btw have a look at http://goo.gl/v62fE - very inspirational stories . You Are Not Your Body

Posted by Laura Kelly | February 2, 2013 5:04 PM