Posted in music | pictures on July 27, 2010

photos by Eliza Koch

Flaming Lips

""This night is f---ing perfect," Coyne announced at the top of the show following his now-customary climb over the audience in a giant inflatable hamster ball. He wasn't necessarily talking about the music but rather about the weather, as the oppressive summer humidity had dissipated long enough to create a warm, breezy summer night. It provided the ideal backdrop for the Lips' set, which was heavy on the amorphous material from Embryonic. On the album, the melodies float several layers below the surface and are constantly teased out by the adroit production abilities of Dave Fridmann. In a live setting, the band let the fuzz do the talking, and allowed most of the tunes to build into swirls of distorted noise and churning beat science." [MTV]
The Flaming Lips, played right up to Rumsey Playfield's 10pm curfew last night (7/26). In that time they managed to perform 14 songs including "Do You Realize?" for the 1-song encore. The full setlist is below.

Tonight, Tuesday, you can catch the band at Terminal 5 with Fang Island . The show is sold out, but it will also be streaming, like Smashing Pumpkins last night, online. The Flaming Lips return to the David Letterman show on Wednesday.

More pictures, a bunch of videos, and the setlist from Summerstage, below...

Flaming Lips

another set of pictures is coming. here are some videos...

Flaming Lips: *HD* The Fear and 'Wayne in a bubble?' New York Summer Stage 2010-07-26

Wayne in the bubble

The Flaming Lips, She Don't Use Jelly, Central Park Summerstage, NYC 7-26-10

The Flaming Lips, The W.A.N.D., Central Park Summerstage, NYC 7-26-10

Do you realize?

The Flaming Lips Concert at Central Park, New York, NY, USA Setlist on July 26, 2010
1. The Fear
10. See The Leaves
11. Pompeii Am Gotterdammerung
12. Taps
13. The W.A.N.D.
Encore:
14. Do You Realize??

what a great performance. the new songs are HUGE live...really really impressed with this show...seen them quite a few times over the years - some people say their shows lack diversity - i was entirely entertained in a whole new way last night.

thanks to whomever sold me that $20 ticket - I was able to catch most of Oneida's set - and was so excited by this - that I don't think I thanked you for hooking that up - whoever you are! O!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:25 AM

so good. show of the summer.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:30 AM

I love the lips but am bored with their setlist...Play some stuff off Clouds, Transmissions, Hit to Death etc...uggh!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:37 AM

I want my keys back.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:37 AM

i mean - yeah those older albums are great - and a nice deep cut is always nice - which they def pull out sometimes...but time restraints and promoting a new album (that rocks) - i got more than i expected.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:44 AM

What a great show! Saw them @ the Wellmont back in April, and I can say that the songs sounded much more lived in and comfortable this time around. The jams on the songs from Embryonic were fantastic! The set had a better flow to it too..stretched out intros and outros were very nice. The crowd seemed a little...subdued...but it was mostly "douchey hipster/scenester" free. The weather was perfect, All in all a great time!

p.s. does anyone know roughly how many people are in the venue when it's sold out? Just curious...

Posted by Scott | July 27, 2010 10:45 AM

i think summerstage capacity is around 3500.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:48 AM

Nothing from Soft Bulletin! Are you kidding me! Stop catering to the younger crowd. There are great Lips LPs from the 80s and 90s that the kids have not heard yet - it will be new to them. I sick of W.A.N.D and Yeah!

Posted by John Poppe | July 27, 2010 10:53 AM

You can promote a new album and still play old stuff...also 14 song setlist! Really? You are not Phish..play 20+ songs, cut out the theatrics and play some freaking rock again!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 10:55 AM

boooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrring

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:08 AM

I love these guys, but the shtick is getting repetitive and predictable. This is a band with a long, illustrious career and they are only highlighting the last 7 years of it or so...

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:14 AM

10:53
do you realize, they played, do you realize?

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:14 AM

I feel like I was not at the same show. Not taking away from the Lips, cuz they were working it and playing great, but the crowd was fcking awful. I actually felt bad for WC in having to coax the audience to try and have a decent and energetic time on a beautiful night in CP. UES/UWS crowd, I guess.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:15 AM

Was a very good show last night, but echo John Poppe...how are they not doing anything from Soft Bulletin anymore.

That having been said...like the Embryonic stuff live and as Wayne said, it was perfect night for outdoor concert.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:17 AM

11:14..Do you realize was not on Soft Bulletin!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:18 AM

they're gonna save some of the other tunes for the T5 show tonight...

summerstage is closer to 6K and all 6K were there last night

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:19 AM

They didnt open with Race for the Prize? That's the best part of their show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:25 AM

Lips will play an identical set at T5..I would be willing to wager..You woul be very lucky if they changed one song!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:31 AM

"they're gonna save some of the other tunes for the T5 show tonight..."

Their show is very tightly choreographed, so I highly doubt there will be any setlist changes.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:31 AM

Actually liked the new Fear/Worm Mountain open to the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:33 AM

It was my first time seeing the Lips, and though I'm not a huge fan of their music, it was a great, great show, and I certainly got my money's worth.

That being said, I thought it was really annoying the way Wayne Coyne and his orange-jumpsuited toadies kept haranguing the crowd to clap and scream for them more. It was just constant -- between songs, in the middle of the songs, nonstop throughout the concert. It got really annoying -- "clap for me more, scream for me more, minions!" I generally like to clap, dance, and scream for someone when they, you know, play good music, not when they keep interrupting the set and wasting time begging for more adulation.

Like I said, though, this was my first Lips show, so I have no basis for comparison with their normal shows/crowds. Great, great show, though.

Posted by Thierry Ennui | July 27, 2010 11:36 AM

Two of the songs on the setlist don't even count (I can be a frog & Taps), so the entire concert was only 12 songs. They should play 5 songs from each of their last 4 albums and cut down on the preaching and jamming. I was disappointed to not hear anything from The Soft Bulletin. It was still a good concert and well worth it, but I wished I had listened to Embryonic first.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:36 AM

Really wished they played Race for the Prize. It really wasn't a very good show and Wayne talked too much blather about nothing. They need to focus on the music instead of the theatrics and play more from Soft Bulletin and Yoshimi...

Posted by Purdman | July 27, 2010 11:39 AM

Thierry..glad you had fun but if you see them again in a year or so don't expect anything new. Same theatrics, confetti, zorb ball lights etc..They used to be a creative band and they just lost their passion..

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:41 AM

11:15, I think you're giving Wayne and Co. too much credit. That's kind of like berating a studio audience for missing their cues.

Most bands don't need to yell "c'mon, c'mon!" over and over again to get their crowds pumped. The audience just responds naturally to what the band is feeding them.

The confetti is great. Videos are a trip. Giant balloon, sure. But if Wayne thinks I'm going to get excited about a forced singalong reprise of a song he's ended twice already...if he thinks "Yeah Yeah Yeah" will become a good song if he plays it just one more time...if he thinks Bush and the Iraq War are still topical banter material...

It's hard to get truly excited about something so contrived, about a band so unwilling to evolve in any significant way.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:44 AM

What time did they come on? Trying to figure out timing this Black Keys show tonight...

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 11:57 AM

11:57 they came on around 8:30-8:45

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 12:01 PM

^^Thank you!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 12:10 PM

Great night!

Posted by Burg | July 27, 2010 12:15 PM

Love the Lips, loved the show... but I don't think I'll be going to any more SummerStage shows after this... it's just way too quiet.

if you're not within the first 20-30 rows of people, it feels like you're watching people watching a a show. Couldn't fully get into it because the people around me having conversations at normal volume overpowered the sound system.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 12:31 PM

Oneida was on at 7p. Lips at 8:15.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 12:38 PM

They played from 815 to 10

Posted by JK | July 27, 2010 12:41 PM

I thought this was such an awesome show! The people standing around me were all totally into it, so I had assumed that's how the rest of the crowd was. It drives me crazy that many New Yorkers refuse to look or sound like they're having fun at concerts.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 12:44 PM

What an amazing show! I've seen the Lips plenty of times over the years, but this was by far the best performance they've ever given. The new songs sound amazing and they've tailored the rest of the set to fit thematically. They're heavier than ever before, jamming out the end of most songs until the entire crowd is lifted into a swirling vortex of fuzzed-out ecstasy. I was absolutely blown away. They are the new Pink Floyd.

To everyone complaining that they don't play anything from The Soft Bulletin anymore, you had plenty of chances over the past 10 years to see them play those songs to death. This is a new band, evolving their sound over time rather than becoming the stale hit machine that most bands are all too happy to settle for these days.

These guys are exploring new musical territory and inviting the crowd to join them on their fantastic journey through time and space. And what a journey it is. Last night's show reignited my enthusiasm for this band. After being disillusioned by years of the same increasingly stale setlist, they have redeemed themselves tenfold.

Best show of the summer, hands down.

Posted by FRX | July 27, 2010 1:20 PM

I enjoyed the wellmont setlist more than central park, but it was still a good show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:23 PM

what was oneida's setlist? specifically what were the first and last songs?

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:25 PM

Love this group. what a great history and well deserved place to be..

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:29 PM

"10:53
do you realize, they played, do you realize?"

thats on yoshimi dumbhead

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:34 PM

well said, FRX! i completely agree.

Posted by dr_ultimately | July 27, 2010 1:36 PM

1:20...She Don't Use Jelly is very very stale!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:38 PM

Embryonic is the best thing they've done in years so i don't mind hearing the new songs live tonight

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:41 PM

Gingerale Afternoon would be an awesome addition!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:45 PM

Having seen the Flaming Lips at least 15 times since '94 or so, I was pretty let down. Not a fan of Soft Bulletin through Mystics, but Embroynic brought me back. Old school freakouts. The 3 full-on Embryonic rock songs were amazing, but not nearly enough. Love Embryonic, but when there's an early curfew, why not less talk/more rock? Not into the singalongs which seemed even more out of place rubbing shoulders with the weirdo Embryonic tunes - especially dragging out She Don't Use Jelly coda and all that.

And I fully agree, acting like there's something wrong with the audience if we're not constantly applauding guitar changes and tuning breaks. And then telling us to hurry up and clap for an encore to beat the curfew where we could have had more songs without all the banter and crowd participation. I guess that's the main draw for many people.

The Big Ol' Bonnaroo is The New Baby Now.

Again - loved the new songs. Maybe one Zaireeka tune, please - 30,000 Feet of Despair, Driving to Work, Big Ol' Bug? More like that, please. Still love the old stuff and love Embryonic and STEVEN/Wayne/Mike. And please Steven on drums for Your Bats!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:47 PM

Everyone needs to stop fucking complaining. Use Setlist.fm before you get tickets to a goddamn show if you're going to be a picky asshole. This show sold out in like a week with 40 dollar tickets. Clearly The Lips are in demand. I don't even agree with half the shit Wayne says, sometimes he talks for too goddamn long, and they like to draw out songs. Whatever. I go along with it They put on a fun show and most everyone feels great upon walking out. And I agree, I would love to see more Soft Bulletin. I was also shouting "PLAY BAD DAYS" a good five to ten times. But don't be a fucking Flaming Lips snob.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:50 PM

1:50 I am a Flaming Lips snob. I have seen them on every tour since 1999 probably around 10 times and haven't heard a single live song from their catelog from before Transmissions except Love Yer Brain. I heard a whopping 2 songs of Satellite and 3 of Clouds in 10 shows....I knew their setlist would be stale and that is why I only saw them once this tour in Montclair and will not see them again until they release new stuff.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 1:54 PM

Show was fun. I saw them in 2006 and it wasn't much different. Bubble = fun. Confetti = fun. Balloons = fun. Same schtick, as expected.

Wayne seemed more sad/angry/annoyed than he did at Hammerstein '06. A bit more distance from him and the crowd - the Bush whine (who cares anymore?), the lack of patience with people not dancing, seeming annoyed that we weren't singing. What's so wrong with just zoning out and taking it all in, Wayne?

Many people don't know the music. The band is well known for its stage antics and many people buy tickets solely based on that. Not a "UES/UWS" thing. Geesh.

Anyway, 1:50 is right. Overall it was a great experience and people should quit their bitching. Aside from the 4-5 people that were carried out and the clusterfuck with the crowd, there was a good vibe and people seemed happy after the show.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 2:27 PM

Great show, but I agree that the Bush whine is getting old. Wish he would acknowledge the fact that Obama is just as pro-war as Bush, even if he didn't start em. Continuing them is as bad. I think I even heard him say "I don't say fuck war, I'm just think we should believe in peace" or something along those lines. Fuck war Wayne.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 2:53 PM

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 2:57 PM

waynes banter about bush and iraq was pretty annoying, dated, and tired...that stopped the set about 3 or 4 times, easily could have played 2 more songs...wayne you're not that interesting. decent show but their creativity is lost in a facade of confetti

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 3:17 PM

I saw the lips in '91 when they were a real band

Posted by LKJ | July 27, 2010 3:32 PM

I've seen the Lips a dozen times or so since 2004, which was my first chance to see them as a 21 year old. I have been listening to them and considering them one of my top five favorite bands since 1995.

Last night was great. It was a really fun time. It was a bit of a "too-hip" crowd that wouldn't dance, sing-along, or cheer as much, so I stepped it up twice as hard.

Setlist: Alright, it is officially a new show. I feel comfortable calling this the third incarnation of The Flaming Lips since I started seeing them in 2004.

I would have loved to hear "Chrome Plated Surgery" "When You're 22" "Moth in an Incubator" "Giraffe" "Watermelon Gun" and all of "Soft Bulletin" etc. But these are now rarities. They are no longer even heavy on Yoshimi. This is fine. They have been around since '89 basically and making music for even longer closer to 30 years.

The Flaming Lips are not Steve Miller. They do not have to have the same 'Grammy' type setlist. They should not HAVE to psych the crowd up. The show was great. They are still 3 very disturbed individuals.

over all: 3.5 stars

Posted by TeddyBleu | July 27, 2010 3:42 PM

2:57, I was at at that Unlimited Sunshine show! My girlfriend's older brother had an extra ticket, so I went along even though I wasn't into any of the bands. Flips, Cake, De La Soul, Modest Mouse...all bands I'd come to love later on! I wish I could "re-see" that show now!

Posted by Scott | July 27, 2010 4:18 PM

I saw them once before, at Hammerstein in 06, where I was right in front of the stage. This time, I was standing almost all the way back but was still completely entranced by the show. I felt like much of the crowd was entranced and overpowered by the assault on the senses that the Lips present, which is why it was frustrating that Wayne seemed dissatisfied. The crowd wasn't continuously shouting, clapping, screaming, etc. because we wanted to take it all in and experience the show (at least this was how I felt in the back). The EMBRYONIC material was especially amazing with both the visuals and the beautiful, "fucking perfect" night, and while more older material would have been great, they had to be off the stage at 10 PM and couldn't have gone on much earlier than they did. True, cutting down the banter would have provided time for another song or two, but I guess Wayne Coyne wants to communicate with his audience, not just play them songs. Also, I wonder if they had originally been planning to play through "Dark Side Of The Moon" (as was rumored) but heard all the people bitching about it outside the venue before the show.

Posted by Dan | July 27, 2010 4:40 PM

@4:40 they only play Dark Side stuff when Stardeath and White Dwarfs are with them

Posted by FRX | July 27, 2010 4:56 PM

"1:34 yeah, you're right... anyone old enough to have seen the Unlimited Sunshine Tour, when the lips played prospect park?"

Old enough? Those shows were only back in 2002. Not too long ago. Old enough is seeing any pre-Ronald Jones shows.

I went to both Prospect Park shows. Even with the rain, tons of fun.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 5:19 PM

Great fucking show!

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 5:29 PM

Show of the year so far, for sure. Lips have disappointed me before with their stage banter and slow pace, but last night they were on fire. The Embryonic tunes reminded me how good a fucking rock band these guys are when they really let it rip. Visuals were a trip. Crowd was cool. This will be hard to top.

Posted by panopticon | July 27, 2010 6:01 PM

Been watching the Lips for 20years and it pains me to say they have become very predictable. Their show has become a cabaret act and lost all spontaneity over the last 5 years which is sad because they were a great band.
I got bored last night and think they need go away and think it all up again they way they did with those first soft bulletin shows.
How good were those Transmission and Clouds shows.
Summerstage is a shit venue to see any band and the sound was way to low

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 6:22 PM

Do You Realize you were ruining my high with all the politic talk? Amazing show, but Wayne needs to cut out the political bullshit

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 6:39 PM

6:39 I'm assuming you're under 35, considering how much you dig a tune from Yoshimi. Anyway, there was once a time when young folks didn't mind political talk. The other day I heard someone complaining about the title of the new Of Montreal album, False Priest, because of its alleged "connotations about religion." Geez, when did rock fans become stodgy conservatives who can only accept flag-wavin' and Jesus-praisin'?

Posted by LKJ | July 27, 2010 8:40 PM

6:39 P.S. Pardon my assumption that you love "Do You Realize"--I missed your pun the first time round. Anyway, my message still applies, maybe just not to you, 6:39.

Posted by LKJ | July 27, 2010 8:41 PM

You complaining poseurs are probably the same kids that used to lip synch to Creed and Bush in your darkened bedrooms.

Do us all a favor and stay home. Or go to your fave coffee shoppe and chill there and update your Facebook page. You are annoying specks on a wonderful planet.

Nobody needs you at a show. Really, Wayne was not asking for you specifically. If you take the time to type a negative review, you obviously were not needed at the event. Nobody prevents you from leaving early. Next time, do yourself, and all of us a favor, and stay home.

Sincerely, somebody much cooler than you will ever be.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 9:12 PM

The tour they did with Beck was excellent. Their opening set was great, and Beck sounded great with the FLips behind him

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 9:17 PM

Any generation that communicates more by text messaging than by talking is bound to be lacking in its appreciation of the arts. Flaming Lips rule.

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 9:35 PM

1:54 Flaming Lips snob

You are an old fool

Posted by Anonymous | July 27, 2010 9:46 PM

Interesting how posters are more focused on proving they are the "best fan" as opposed to being objective. Lips are great. I just wish their show would match the great music they create. For example, if we accept that Lips want to perform the new stuff that is fine, but how in the world isn't Powerless, Ego or Planets not performed, especially when Jelly, Yeah and Taps is in the setlist. And if the curfew was an issue then get on the damn stage 15 minutes earlier.

I'm a passionate Lips fan. It is one of the few bands that I see live because they give the crowd an experience you cannot get from listening to their albums. But tired their show is becoming, I agree. Boring, it may be moving in that direction. Guys show the fans just why the Lips are one of the greatest bands that should not just have a cult following.

Posted by John Poppe | July 28, 2010 3:05 AM

The Flaming Lips "haven't evolved in any way"??? Are you KIDDING me??? Have you actually LISTENED to their music??

I thought Monday's show was stellar. Their sound was full and the weather and venue just perfect. I thought "In The Morning Of The Magicians" was particularly beautiful and loved hearing all the Embryonic tracks (ok, so maybe I felt like I was in preschool for "I Can Be A Frog", but whatev); I now understand their latest album more fully. It was also the first time--live--where "Do You Realize??" was almost too much for me to handle, as in I was all but sobbing. (While this is sometimes the case for me when I listen to it on record, at past concerts it always felt much more joyous.)

Yes, I would've liked to have heard some Soft Bulletin and a few other songs-- of course! Yes, Wayne Coyne rambles. But some of us like feeling a connection to a band we love, as well as each other, and that rare pure sense of optimism.

Posted by S | July 28, 2010 11:14 AM

They have evolved but much less then they used to...I feel like their peak was around 2000. The Run from 92-00 was brilliant and they need to bring back Ronald even though he left in the mid 90's!

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 11:26 AM

11:14, my words were "haven't evolved in any significant way," mostly referring to the live theatrics and the stage show (which has remained relatively unchanged for a while now). I had no qualms with the setlist; I too thought "Morning" was incredible and will never tire of "Do You Realize??" And yeah, Embryonic tracks sound great and shake up the routine.

But it's definitely a routine. And for Wayne to bombard us with c'mons all night as he forces us to get pumped up for yet another dragged-out chorus of "Jelly" is missing the point. You can say that I shouldn't have gone if it's boring to me, but it's not all boring; just the unnecessarily prolonged choruses and mandatory enthusiasm. I'm not a static concertgoer, I just think Wayne's "you guys need to be into this RIGHT NOW" schtick is a little counterproductive. There are organic ways to excite a crowd.

Posted by 11:44 am yesterday | July 28, 2010 11:27 AM

I agree the crowd fucking sucked... made me wish I went to Terminal 5. Everyone talked the whole time and didn't seem into it. Kind of annoying... I feel like Central Park does that to shows though... is it too early for people to get into it? Is it too big? I don't know... The Lips are great though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 28, 2010 6:50 PM