Posted in music | pictures on July 2, 2010

by Andrew Frisicano

"I was just on stage watching the oblivians destroy knitting factory. I think I can die happy now" - Tyler Trykowski

oblivians

The Oblivians reunited for a packed Scion Garage show at Knitting Factory on Thursday night. And though the guys, who split in '98, get together every once in a while to play a show, it was reportedly the first Oblivians show in NYC in thirteen years, and was very welcome. The band traded instruments, and were joined for the encore by Reigning Sound/WFMU's Dave Amels on keys.

The Oblivians play Friday (tonight) in Kearny, again with Andre Ethier. Look for Jack Yarber to return for a Southpaw show later in July.

More pictures from Knitting Factory are below...

Oblivians

oblivians

Weak stage dive lady. Setlist?

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 9:05 AM

Should you be allowed to rock that hard if you have a comb-over? Discuss.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 9:27 AM

that's one garage-tastic comb-over.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 9:27 AM

Such a young crowd for an Oblivians show. Did not know they had such a young fan base.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 9:41 AM

dude, it was a free show in williamsburg on a thur...im 29 and was gonna go but i had a party and then a date...better things to do as you get older.

i never loved the oblivians...they had their moments though.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 9:58 AM

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 10:40 AM

"This crowd was full of the biggest douche bag pricks acting like it was a Slayer show."

Agreed. The crowd was much wilder than the music warranted. A couple of minor fights which seemed completely out of place.

Oblivians played a good, tight if slightly underwhelming set. Strangely, no "Bad Man" or "Christine" but I'm glad they ended with some songs from the Quintron album.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 10:51 AM

they were fucking great. such an amazing show. fights are never cool, but let the kids fucking dance.
and also dave amels is 10 times more rockandroll then whoever the dipshit is making cracks about his combover. who fucking cares what kind of hair he has.

Posted by Jim | July 2, 2010 11:14 AM

Strange array of people. Some just didn't get it. And to think people dancin make it seem like a slayer show, well you just outed yourself. So go to the back of the room and discuss how you really liked their 1 lst 3 singles, make sure you fold your arms and stick your nose up while doing that.
And it's a fuckin fact they have not played nyc in 13 years and last night was awesome. Tonight will be better!

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 11:42 AM

"...dave amels is 10 times more rockandroll then whoever the dipshit is making cracks about his combover. who fucking cares what kind of hair he has."

Word.

"Weak stage dive lady" was the epitome of an obnoxious "I'm with the band" attention whore. She, and her pathetic pack of friends, cut to the front of the long line outside the venue before the show, and spent the evening cackling at top volume, while making repeated trips backstage to help herself to the band's beer. A first-class pig all the way around.

From where I stood it was a great show, with both Ethier and the 'blivians acquitting themselves quite admirably. While it did seem pretty raucous towards the front center of the floor (what's up with throwing drinks?), everyone around me was pleasant and seemed to have a good time. Another fine show at a great venue, with an excellent staff.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 11:59 AM

who's pissed that they sold out of the GONER baby onesie?

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 1:25 PM

I don't know - the baby?

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 1:27 PM

the pregger band whore when misses her period???

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 1:57 PM

jeez, you animals, let a lady have some fun. stop sour-grapesing!

Posted by lady lover | July 2, 2010 2:09 PM

There's no problem with having fun, but she was an ASS.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 2:15 PM

Earth to Dave Amehls -- YOU'RE BALD!

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 3:41 PM

"Such a young crowd for an Oblivians show. Did not know they had such a young fan base"

thanks to Jay Reatard pretty much. so eric make sure you thank him

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 4:13 PM

That stage-dive lady looks like she needs to be beaten up.

Posted by LKJ | July 2, 2010 4:37 PM

Earth to 3:41-YOU'RE AN ADOLESCENT ASSHOLE!

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 6:33 PM

awesome show
weird crowd but everyone had fun it seemed
terrible pics

stage divers were lame

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 7:11 PM

RE: the "attention whore stage diver"

Why don't you assholes lighten the fuck up. Nobody hurt anyone, they were having fun. Unlike you bitches sitting on a message board bitching. You can stand with your arms crossed and sway like a lazy fag in the wind and then run home and blog about it, but no one ever calls YOU out on it. So boo.

Posted by Boing | July 2, 2010 7:49 PM

^ Obnoxious white knight defends obnoxiousness.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 8:28 PM

Y'all are hilarious! That show was awesome! They played great, and people had a great time. So what if youngsters heard them and enjoyed it? Seems more than appropriate. I mean, what if they got a few new fans? That's the point, right? Agreed, some people were out of their element--and acted so. But the only comment I heard from the band was about the guy who climbed on stage and tried to put stickers on their backs. And even then the comment was, "have fun man. I don't care what you do, just don't fuck with us."

"(what's up with throwing drinks?)"

I'm from Memphis and was just talking to two people from there about our sometimes strange ways. When asked, we can only reply "that's what we do."

I hit Eric on the forehead with the empty can from stage left. Sadly, it was meant for Jack--or simply his drums, rather. I told Eric I did it, accidentally, and the reasoning behind my actions. He laughed saying, "That was you?! You couldn't've done that if you tried." That's what we do.

Throwing harmless empties that don't hit anyone or anything can be an endearing semi-equivalent to throwing sexy undergarments. Throwing actual drinks that can do physical harm to people or equipment is totally douchy. Last night I saw both.

Can everyone who cares about Dave Amehls hair please post some pics of your own, obviously stellar haircuts? They must be really stylish and I need a trim but I don't want to get made fun of.

"thanks to Jay Reatard pretty much. so eric make sure you thank him."

"You can stand with your arms crossed and sway like a lazy fag in the wind and then run home and blog about it, but no one ever calls YOU out on it."

TRUE dat!

Let's have more fun kids and try to talk to real people about real stuff sometimes. It helps.

Posted by Anonymous | July 2, 2010 10:33 PM

I wish I could of been there. Maybe someday soon they will play here where there won't be so much complaining about their hair.

They need to come to Austin and play the scoot inn outside in September

Posted by ibjdennis | July 3, 2010 10:39 AM

"Are you kidding me? You kinda got it backwards. Your knowledge of who those two people are and how far they go back is clearly as expansive as the LCD monitor on your laptop where you learn everything about life. I wish Jay was here to put you in your place, sending you back to your parent's house in the midwest."

RIP JAY

Posted by Anonymous | July 3, 2010 1:28 PM

"The point the person was making was that Jay Reatard introduced this band to a *younger* generation, which I guess was his return gift to them for introducing him to the world.
RIP JAY"

exactamundo.

Posted by Anonymous | July 4, 2010 12:18 AM

Let me get this straight, people here are complaining about a young crowd which is always great because this is a band that should be recognized and is with or without the jay reatard having something to do with them.(goner and crypt is pretty reputable last time i checked.) Some people have a prob with their style of hair. And threats against a girl jumping off a stage? Do me a favor and check yourselves because last time i checked good rock and roll doesnt need guidelines on age, style or antics.

Posted by Anonymous | July 4, 2010 7:08 AM

"That stage-dive lady looks like she needs to be beaten up."

Why dont you find her and tell her yourself?

Posted by Anonymous | July 4, 2010 7:24 AM

Jay Reatard is the only reason I know that Goner Records even exists. sorry to bruise your ego, but that's the truth.
RIP JAY

Posted by Anonymous | July 4, 2010 1:46 PM

They say the heart of rock and roll is still beatin'. And from what I see I believe 'em!

Posted by Anonymous | July 6, 2010 10:25 AM

Here is a great video of the show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLbO502x_M4

Posted by bobby brown | July 7, 2010 10:38 AM

As a WOMAN who also frequently attends local shows, i take GREAT OFFENSE to calling a girl a "WHORE"...A girl who's major crime was not behaving at a show to your high approval.

This is Brooklyn, NY, not a small town. Most people arent going to act the way you would like them to. The best way to deal with it is accept it with good nature, concentrate on the music, your friends, and having your own good time.

When YOU are playing in the band onstage, or YOU own the venue, then perhaps you can have more opinions on how the fans should act at a show.

Posted by sue | July 11, 2010 6:55 PM

This show looked amazing! I miss the Knitting Factory in L.A.

Posted by Baby Gifts | October 5, 2010 1:42 PM