Posted in metal | music on August 2, 2010

by BBG

R.I.P. Makh Daniels (more by Samantha Marble)
Early GRaves

CENTRAL POINT, Ore. -- A van carrying nine members of two California-based "death metal" bands lost control crashed on Interstate 5 in Central Point when the driver fell asleep, killing one passenger and injuring two others just after 5:30 AM Monday.

Oregon State Police say the van, pulling a trailer, was carrying members of a San Francisco-based death metal band to California when it crashed in the southbound lane between the Central Point and Blackwell Road exits.

OSP didn't release the names of the band and van occupants. But KTVL has confirmed the van was transporting the two bands Early Graves and The Funeral Pyre.

OSP says a 2003 Chevrolet extended van pulling a utility trailer was traveling southbound on Interstate 5 near milepost 34. The van contained nine adult males returning to California from Eugene where they played at a weekend outdoor concert.

The van's driver reportedly fell asleep and he lost control. The van and trailer traveled off the right shoulder, rolled and came to rest off the freeway in a grassy area. None of the nine occupants were using safety restraints and the adult male victim was ejected from a rear cargo area where he and two others were. The victim was pronounced deceased at the scene by responding emergency medical services personnel.

The driver and one passenger were transported by ambulance to Rogue Valley Medical Center for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. -[KTVL]

The Gauntlet is currently reporting that the "adult male victim" is Early Graves vocalist Makh Daniels. So sad to hear this news... our condolences go out to Daniels's family, the Early Graves guys, and The Funeral Pyre.

Early Graves and The Funeral Pyre were last in NYC in mid-July at Union Pool (view video from that show courtesy Metal Injection), supporting EG's incredible new LP Goner.

UPDATE:

Memorial Service for Makh Daniels: Monday August 9th @ 2-5pm. Location: Good Shepard Funeral Home/ 901 Oceana Blvd Pacifica, California. Please bring a food item along w/ you... and please re-post this information so others may attend to pay their respects.

That is absolutely heart breaking. RIP Mahk, and a speedy recovery to the rest of the fellas involved.

Posted by KK | August 2, 2010 3:05 PM

how easy is it to just put on your seatbelt?
its so sad that one simple acted probably would've saved his life.

RIP

Posted by dev | August 2, 2010 3:11 PM

Damn!!! RIP!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:15 PM

Way to live up to your band name.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:23 PM

@3:23.....you miserable piece of f--king garbage! Pleeeease make that joke during the funeral so friends and family of the deceased can pummel you into the dirt!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:27 PM

Tempting fate with your emo band names, dudes

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:27 PM

god damn that sucks. why not stop and get sleep if yr tired? damn that sucks...

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:27 PM

Seriously, no offense but get off the fucking seat belt trip - yes, they would have helped but for Christ sake it was 5:30am and they were crammed into a van sleeping. All of them could have been belted in and the van could have exploded. Shit happens and it sucks.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM

BV, please post 3:23's IP address so we can find his contact info and pay him a visit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM

@3:27, yeah, I'm sure once I tell them I'm the snarky dude from BV who goofed on their all-too-prophetic band name, they'll totally send me an e-vite to the funeral. Dipshit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:29 PM

"yeah, I'm sure once I tell them I'm the snarky dude from BV who goofed on their all-too-prophetic band name, they'll totally send me an e-vite to the funeral."

f--king loser!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:32 PM

RIP Derf Scratch from FEAR

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:36 PM

Sorry to hear of the loss. I wish everyone could have walked away from this just a little freaked out but unharmed.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:43 PM

Never heard of these bands, but I am sorry to hear the news.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:53 PM

Very sad. Scary when you think about how many of the bands followed on this blog are in similar circumstances all the time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 3:54 PM

Nice hearing you anonymous cunts talking shit from behind your keyboards. Real cute. I hope watch everyone you love die.

Posted by doomhammer | August 2, 2010 4:05 PM

I have an Ensign shirt that says "I hope everything you ever love dies in your arms", is that what you were trying to say?

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 4:08 PM

would it kill brooklyn vegan to not allow comments on threads about deaths?

or musicians getting cancer?

seriously. please stop allowing this.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 4:13 PM

@4:13 I hope the pun was unintended there.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 4:14 PM

It's such a fragile existence. What a horrible tragedy. RIP man. I wish I could have seen you guys play live.

Pay no mind to the BV snark. It's just a quick fix to take the pressure off of dealing with whatever issues are on their mind(s).

Wishing you all the best today.

Posted by Burg | August 2, 2010 4:17 PM

wow, so many pussies on this board. look at both of these band names... this is terribly ironic that they were involved in a fatal accident!!

irony is humorous; always.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:08 PM

There's no question that there is a joke in there. But it's too obvious. The smart and classy thing is to look beyond it and just comment on the terribleness of what happened.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:29 PM

I agree anonymous508! haha!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:31 PM

his band is called early graves? thats mad funny

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:32 PM

Mahk is a funny guy with a very sarcastic yet brutally honest perspective on life. RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 6:07 PM

mahk was a rad guy -- this is fucking surreal and heartbreaking.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 6:12 PM

Emo band names? What a fucking cunt you are to make that statement. And you're even more of a cunt for remaining anonymous. This band was no where near emo. Either way, he was a human being and you should be ashamed for showing such disrespect for a life like that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 7:09 PM

7:09 One could argue that the band names themselves disrespect life.

Posted by LKJ | August 2, 2010 7:20 PM

"irony is humorous; always."

well, humor is about timing as much as anything and let's just say the timing is about the human and not the humor

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 8:22 PM

i'm all for humor at difficult times, but those of you who are making jokes are fucking scumbags. this is truly sad. these guys are not big rock stars on some luxury tour - the sked they keep is what's necessary to keep people like us interested and involved in their art. what happened is a fucking tragedy and they deserve our compassion and respect.

Posted by lou | August 2, 2010 10:28 PM

He was like family. He was a good person.

Posted by Nicole | August 2, 2010 10:34 PM

fuck all of you who keep making the fuckin jokes about the band name. dude, this is a tragedy. makh was a really really good guy. come to the funeral and make your jokes. you obviously have the balls to do it online.

Posted by dontworryaboutit | August 3, 2010 12:08 AM

as a close personal friend of makh's, I think it's disgusting that people are trying to be witty and make jokes. He was one of a kind and one of the most charismatic people you could ever meet. He is loved and missed terribly.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 12:23 AM

Well looks like another lazy Californian who went to his early grave because of a seat belt.

Posted by pokey | August 3, 2010 12:30 AM

Saw a pic of the band at accident scene & the shitty metal hipsters didn't even look the least upset at all. I'm sure just inconvenienced by all the $$ they lost from this with their tour. I know this guy is no Cliff Burton but WTF?!!

Posted by Euronymous | August 3, 2010 12:32 AM

there's nothing wrong with pointing out the relevance of the band's name, but have some respect at least.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 2:00 AM

So all I really know about Makh Daniels is the music that he helped to make, and the fact that he was young and talented. I don’t really know, but I would guess that the survivors of this accident from Early Graves and The Funeral Pyre are in rotten shape emotionally, and based on the news story, some of them were physically injured too.

I don’t think there’s any value in trying to draw lessons from this, because there is no lesson. Pointless deaths happen every day, and there is no rhyme or reason. They are all tragic. They are all fucked up. They are all part of life. Doesn’t make it any easier. Not even a little bit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 2:04 AM

In the past three years I have gotten a clear indication that the "rock n' roll" lifestyle is not what it is cracked up to be. When I was a teenager, I used to read stories about bands taking private jets to gigs, lots of champagne and drugs, and lots o' ladies. Beautiful, model-es-que ones - not the skanks I usually see at shows nowadays. As my homey Jimi would say, it's hard but its fair.

Makh died - and two others in the van who were injured - because the driver fell asleep at the wheel. These dudes - like numerous other bands that are 'critically acclaimed' but still short on cash money - have to drive from one show to another - fueled on little sleep, perhaps too much drink and drugs, but hellbent on making it to the next show where the attendance is not guaranteed. We, as the fans,take that shit for granted, fo' sho. We do not realize how little these dudes get paid for their shows, and how bad PR affects their bottom line. Early Graves would put out an album and then, like several other extreme music bands, tour it to death. That is how they made their money, as we all know album sales pretty much suck these days. For at least a year, these guys would hit the road and to do what they were passionate about, would sacrifice steady money just to play for all of us ungrateful fools.

I couldn't help but think of Cliff Burton tonight, the extremely talented bassist from Metallica who died when their tour bus flipped over between gigs. This was before And Justice For All days, when the band had a great buzz but had yet to hit the heights that the Black Album garnered them. While Burton died almost twenty years ago, the pain of his death lives on. Sure, there have been phenomenal bassists who have replaced him, but hell, I still remember hearing of his death as a teenager, and I remember how it affected the handful of "greasers" I knew who were Metallica fanatics. There have been other musicians who had died by The Road's hands; and we have to remember and respect that these dudes and dudettes are sacrificing a lot of their personal lives to play music that is ignored by many...but revered by a handful of us.

Anyway, rest in peace, brother. I really wished I could have met you. Let's hope you are in a better place, bro.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 2:09 AM

I knew him casually but that was enough to get across that Makh was a chill guy with a big heart, plenty of talent, and enough ambition to overcome his hardships. Really terrible loss. Condolences to his friends and family.

Posted by toc | August 3, 2010 2:57 AM

Early Graves are (were?) a great fucking hand. Heavy as shit, and not "emo" (to the dicks that post dumbass shit on here).
What's really tragic is that they've been on tour the last 6 weeks or so, and they were on the way to the 2nd to last show of the tour. I'm sure everyone in that van was beaten and tired, and now tragedy strikes.
RIP Mahk, and thanks for the 2 killer records you were a part of.

Posted by Hank | August 3, 2010 3:11 AM

just heard these guys for the first time. shame!

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 6:54 AM

It’s a terrible tragedy that Makh Daniels has passed away. You can help remember him by contributing to his memorial website at http://makhdaniels.people2remember.com/

Posted by dyulyur | August 3, 2010 6:57 AM

"Saw a pic of the band at accident scene & the shitty metal hipsters didn't even look the least upset at all."

You've obviously never had anyone really close to you die, or had a near death experience. To enlighten yourself, google "shock".

Posted by Lori | August 3, 2010 1:52 PM

RIP. very sad.
bands please stay safe out on the road!

Posted by ryan | August 3, 2010 1:54 PM

The fact that they're called Early Graves is ironic, yes: but it's not really that funny or clever to bring it up repeatedly. Have some respect.

Makh was an old friend of mine. He was extremely intelligent and generous -- and always the focal point of any room -- a truly remarkable person in life. He said they were coming back to Brooklyn in October.

RIP, my brother.

Posted by J.N. | August 3, 2010 2:43 PM

If there was a suggestion box on BV, I would suggest that you no longer allow comments on posts that announce someone's death.

thanks.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 3:39 PM

I agree with everyone being disgusted by the rude and callous comments being left by some contributors. However, to react to them is only providing what they wish to accomplish, which is to take our thoughts away from the topic and focus on them. Please, everyone stay focused on Mahk. Thanks.

Posted by Tess | August 3, 2010 7:28 PM

Wow honey I grew up in Brooklyn NY & by the way, there were no fu%$in vegans around there either. I watched & continue to watch people all around me die & those dudes will get another singer in a second & claim that Makh would have wanted them to. BULLSH#@!!!!

Posted by Euronymous | August 3, 2010 9:30 PM