Posted in music | pictures on August 15, 2010

photos by Matthew Eisman

Kiss

Boston Herald: I'm thinking about the Dr. Pepper commercial that's everywhere. Many bands in the so-called indie community think it's abhorrent to sell songs to advertisers, what do you say to those bands?

Paul Stanley: Wake up and smell the coffee. If those indie bands keep that philosophy they'll be flipping burgers soon enough. There's a reason that it's called the music business. Putting your song in a commercial doesn't negate your creativity.

Boston Herald: The concept of selling out is meaningless to KISS, right?

Paul Stanley: Success isn't selling out. We've never had to sell out because we've always done things on our terms. I didn't get into this to have a fan base of 100. I will gladly fly in the private jet to the show and make no apologies for being loved worldwide. Hold on a second. Listen to this from Rolling Stone: "KISS proved why they are the reigning kings of theater rock, delivering an electric two-hour, 21-song set of glam-rock smashes, newer tunes, over-the-top pyrotechnics." Regardless of what the naysayers say, I didn't have to sell out to get these kind of reviews.

Kiss played Jones Beach last night, Saturday, August 14th. More pictures and the setlist from their show, and a few videos, below...

Kiss

KISS Concert at Jones Beach Theater, Wantagh, NY, USA Setlist on August 14, 2010
1. Modern Day Delilah
15. Detroit Rock City
Encore:
16. Beth
17. Lick It Up
18. Shout It Out Loud
19. I Was Made For Lovin' You
20. God Gave Rock 'n' Roll to You II (Argent cover)
21. Rock And Roll All Nite

Stupid interview. I don't think "Many bands in the so-called indie community think it's abhorrent to sell songs to advertiser" anymore, considering every other commercial you see on TV has a song from an indie band playing the background.

Nobody's talking about "selling out" in 2010.

Posted by Anonymous | August 15, 2010 11:22 PM

Kiss was great when they were a novelty act back in like 75. then again I like the majority of those that read BV was not around back then. Seriously- kiss! fuck kiss. They suck- always have and always will. Especially Jean Simmons and his white trash inuendo. Peter Kriss- sucks so hard at the drums its embarrassing and Paul Stanley is so far in the closet he's finding Christmas presents. I know that I spelled the names of these guys wrong, but hey my point was made. so who cares if they did a dr. pepper commercial? I don't drink that shit anyway.

Posted by michael hamilton | August 15, 2010 11:33 PM

Hey Michael, go suck a Love Gun!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 12:03 AM

i thought KISS died in a bus accident like, ten years ago.

they didn't? oh, well they should've

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 12:19 AM

that encore kicks ass.

Posted by wakeupandsmellthecoffee, indie n00bz | August 16, 2010 12:24 AM

Yes,where WOULD we be without Kiss comming on the scene?(Get that Vinny out of Ace's make-up)

Posted by Sister Ann | August 16, 2010 12:45 AM

I wish I could somehow only see them play
Rock N Roll Allnight during that entrance and then leave.

Oh, and somehow not pay for anything, including the waste of gas money it took to get to said venue.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 12:50 AM

I wonder if hummus was served on Paul Stanley's private jet.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 1:20 AM

You wanted the best - but you got Kiss instead!

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | August 16, 2010 1:34 AM

Paul Stanley is an out of touch asshole. These photos are awesome though!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 1:43 AM

How old are these guys? Is that their real hair? And if so, do they color it?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 2:08 AM

when will paul come out of the closet? i used to like gene till i watched his a and e show

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 2:34 AM

holy platforms!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 2:43 AM

great photos!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 3:05 AM

meanwhile...

JEFF THE BROTHERHOOD! released a 7" with mellow out!

Pitchfork ruled!

Animal Collective sucks

Bad Cop's cd comes out next month!

Posted by bert@yahoo.com | August 16, 2010 3:51 AM

my balls are itchy!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 4:08 AM

yeah who took the photos? they're great.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 6:53 AM

the photos are great but like shooting b&w in a third world country- ya can't go wrong...even if the band fucking sucks ass.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 7:16 AM

crazy crazy nights?!?! haha weird

Posted by R | August 16, 2010 7:28 AM

Paul just can't face his homosexuality in the public. He sucked my friends cock in Malibu in 1994 and was totally high on coke when he did it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 7:28 AM

gayest thing i have ever seen.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 7:57 AM

KISS on Long Island. Wow. That must have been quite a scene and crowd.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 8:24 AM

my twin cousins were huge KISS fans when I was 5 and they were 16... they still live at home and don't have jobs.

just thought i'd get that out there

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 8:40 AM

^^
hahaa, nice

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 8:56 AM

Remember when they tried to make it without the make-up and failed miserably?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 8:56 AM

The fact that they did not play "Strutter" is absolutely criminal.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 9:05 AM

I was at this show and, as in all the other KISS shows I have seen over the years, they put on a great and hugely entertaining show. It is the greatest spectacle in rock and roll and I am happy to pay money to see it.

Great photos! Great evening! Great atmosphere.

Posted by Loop | August 16, 2010 9:08 AM

"The best part was seeing the generations of KISS fans with entire families there with painted faces, enjoying the show."

I think you mean the "saddest" part

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 9:13 AM

only problem is that it's not KISS. As long as those two scabs are up there wearing Ace and Peter's make up, it's not KISS!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 9:14 AM

Anon 9:13am

"Saddest"? I think the fact that you call that sad is the pathetic in itself.

Sorry to burst your hipster bubble but the fact that people of many generations and all walks of life can enjoy the same show is A GOOD THING! The fact that tens of thousands of people want to go to the same show means there is something good happening that tuoches people.

You probably think that any band that has more than 10 fans is a sell out and you want to feel ownership of band but, if they are releasing cd's and playing live shows, they are trying to make a "living" out of it so they probably wish they had more fans and werent playing to you and 10 other people at the Cake Shop.

Posted by Loop | August 16, 2010 9:22 AM

yeah man! Kiss My Scabs

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 9:23 AM

if ace and peter were on board i would have gone. does fake ace sing shock me? does fake peter sing beth and black diamond? weird.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 9:38 AM

anan 9:38am.

Yes, they both sing those songs.

I understand the frustration some may have with Ace and Peter not being in the band anymore, but at least Eric Singer was a past member (before they went back to makeup) so he is at least a part of KISS' history.

Posted by Loop | August 16, 2010 9:47 AM

The Great Rock and Roll Swindle. You stupid losers. I'm glad the "KISS" corporation took your money.
Hey Loop, too bad you weren't at Fuck the Fact/Magrudergrind last week at Cake Shop. You'd have seen a real metal band, playing head pummelling, intense ripping riffs to a room full of insane maniacs, not some over the hill, geriatric, washed up corporate money sharks playing for Mommy, Daddy and junior. Idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:00 AM

yeah, Loop I was making a joke... the problem with you KISS fans is that you take crap like this so seriously, all the while worshipping the most ridiculous looking band on the planet.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:02 AM

1:20 am here is how you can live like Paul Stanley in his private jet...

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:10 AM

i hope his private jet crashes on a fucking hummus plantation

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:25 AM

908, i want your job

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:27 AM

at least Kiss knows what it is all about. they play sweet tunes and shake their asses, giving the fans their money's worth. they dont drop some avant gard bs like lou reed.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:45 AM

10:45.. sweet tunes? Most Kiss songs aren't sweet they are about partying, drugs and sex!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:47 AM

AWESOME NEW WOMANIZER REMIX!!!

Posted by Nuni | August 16, 2010 11:52 AM

8:56 Yes. I saw them sans makeup in 1990 and about fell asleep. Whatta lousy band.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 1:04 PM

All things said. Kiss is such a shitty band. However, I was a Kiss fan as a kid in the early/mid 80s. It was a time. Do they stand the test of time? God no. There is a sort of point to their bullshit, but I cant exactly say why. They are the old school rock star schtick. All you self important cunts who are rubbing out to the drums need to put things in perspective. 40 years on and they still can live on being that cliché. dont think any of the market hotel cunts will make it that far.

I have no interest in seeing kiss or even really acknowledging their presence. If I hear "I was made for loving you" or "strutter" on the radio, you can be sure Ill turn it up.

I will end with this

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 4:10 PM

Would Paul coming out hurt their crowds?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 4:24 PM

Tears Are Falling? Heaven's On Fire? God of Thunder? Hotter Than Hell? I Want You? I Stole Your Love?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 4:28 PM

>>Would Paul coming out hurt their crowds?

Nah, Rob came out and Judas is playing at the...oh, wait, yeah, it would.

Posted by mel | August 16, 2010 4:39 PM

gee what a surprise...

nerdy self absorbed humorless indie hipsters on a music blog have something instantly bad to say about a hugely successful, funny, thoroughly enjoyable theatrical act of historical importance.

You guys hating Kiss is about as predictable as all the makeup and explosions in a Kiss show.

Ironic huh?

Which is perfect, because aren't all you hipsters all about irony anyway?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 4:41 PM

What is funny about all "you Kiss fans" is the fact that the actual MUSIC (this is a band we are talking about, correct?) has no barring on your admiration for this band. "Wow the show was amazing" and "the pyrotechnics were awesome" seem to be the most common defenses for this musical abomination. I have never heard anyone say "Paul Stanley is one of the best song writers", because even Kiss fans know the music sucks and its all image.

If all you want to do is watch a bunch of old clowns in make-up, why don't you just go to the circus?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 6:29 PM

Paul makes me horny, think I can blow him in Malibu?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 6:45 PM

I have never heard anyone say "___________ is one of the best song writers", because even ___________ fans know the music sucks and its all image.

Posted by Brooklyn music scene Mad Libs | August 16, 2010 6:47 PM

Yes, KISS play zero IQ glam rock...so what? Its all about entertainment & KISS delivers it in generous portions...nuff said.

Posted by Riv-Dawg | August 16, 2010 8:53 PM

Most overrated band in the music history.

Posted by Jelluin | August 16, 2010 9:15 PM

Maybe Brooklynvegan should only post about big, commercially successful bands because it seems that those are the only bands that get lots of comments. It seems any mention of U2, Coldplay, KISS bring out tons of comments and also proves that most people who read these boards listen to them to. (and I am proud to admit I am one of them). It is some of the hardcore hipsters who think they have a monopoly on taste and cant bear to see a beloved band have more than 10 fans that get all negative.

As far as KISS being overrated and not good songwriters, a successful career of 35 plus years prove that is not the case. Go to KISS show and you will be humming those tunes for days afterwards.

Posted by Loop | August 17, 2010 9:31 AM

i wonder if Paul takes polaroids of all the dudes he's blown on tour?

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 10:02 AM

that set list was pretty kick ass! they may not be the most talented group of musicians, but they sure are pioneers in entertainment. they set the bar for heavy metal/rock shows in putting on a 'show'. how can you possibly say all that pyro isn't cool? it's also funny how you homophobes are more concerned about paul coming out of the closet (envy?!). they were a great act in the 70's, sucked in the 80-90's, but now have decent songs the last few albums. like EVERY other band out there, when a group of people play together and make music, you're not always going to have every song awesome and every album awesome. but sure enough, after a bad period, they always come back stronger... look at metallica, rush (new album coming is incredible), rolling stones, pink floyd, and soon to be the red hot chilipeppers and pearl jam! (hopefully).

Posted by bob cox | August 17, 2010 11:35 AM

Even the worst Kiss songs are better written and catchier than ninety percent of the songs coming out of indie bands these days.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 1:02 PM

"the music sucks and its all image."

Ha! That actually applies to mostly all of the indie bands these days. Boring crappy uninspired songwriting and showmanship, but an 'oh so cool' bearded attitude

I'll take Kiss any day over these crappy pointless indie bands.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 4:15 PM

Funny thing is, Gene is a more of an authentic bearded Brooklyn hipster than any of you midwestern transplant posers.

If Gene Simmons grew back his beard he had in the 80's and moved back to Williamsburg where he lived as a child, would he be more acceptable to you hipsters?

Gene is the original Williamsburg bearded hipster.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 4:19 PM

Gene Simmons is the original bearded Williamsburg hipster.

That sentence is pure genius.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 4:38 PM

KISS are real NYers!

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 5:01 PM

Paul likes to pitch not catch

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 5:42 PM

@1135 & 102

Uh oh, how did Dad find out about BV.

Why don't you tell us more about how great music was in the "good ole' days".

The fact you mentioned Red Hot Chili Peppers makes your opinions about music irrelevant.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 5:55 PM

this site provide endless entertainment, my god. the yucks just keep on coming!

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 6:16 PM

Paul Stanley should QUIT shaking his UGLY BUTT in front of everyone , poor people in the front row , give them a break Paul !!

Posted by Anonymous | August 28, 2010 2:45 PM

I was at this show in August and all though I have been not happy about Tommy & Eric wearing Ace's & Peter's iconic make-up, this show was awesome! Being a KISS fan since I bought their latest LP at the time, "Dressed To Kill" (yeah, so I'm an "older" fan!) I never threw in the towel on KISS. Members came and went, I stayed! With the exception of maybe "Crazy Nights", I love all their albums. Yes, EVEN "Music from The Elder" (masterpiece!) I had gotten the "Rock The Nation DVD with Eric & Bruce and thought, not bad! Especially with the inclusion of "Love Her All I Can" (which dates back to the "Wicked Lester" days). Now, this new line-up has added mileage and gotten VERY tight musically! Tommy is not a bad guitarist. I thought Bruce was better and Ace of course is GOD! Eric Singer is one of the best drummers involved in classic rock. Thunderous and a great singer too! I was blown away at the show! What a concert! I admit, I bashed them when they so nonchalantly hired Tommy and took Eric back WITH make-up but I now agree with what Gene & Paul preach...The band is more important as a whole than it's individual members. Before, that line pissed me off but after finally seeing how much they give to the fans for the buck, I re-neg past feelings. I am glad that there is STILL a KISS to see. Most tribute bands are dull to poor. Paul Stanley to me is in the ranks of Roger Daltrey. "KISS" is in the ranks of "The Who"! Roger and Pete still carried on after John (my idol) passed away and like with KISS, I was pissed....until I saw them with Zak Starkey and Greg Lake and was glad there still was a "Who" to see! Granted, like KISS, The Who have aged (quite well) and put new music out. It wasn't "Who's Next" but they are not the same band! I will always keep up with Ace & Peter's career's and love them on their own. "Anomaly" is a masterpiece and "One For All' is what I expected to hear from Peter! A Varied selection of the music Peter loves. Would I like to see the original KISS reform? Of course! But like anyone my age, 40 years will change a person! So cheers to KISS and new material is always welcome! Paul's "Live To Win" and Gene's "A$$HOLE" are incredible! Long live KISS!

Posted by Kevin S. | January 22, 2011 11:51 PM