Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on August 2, 2010

photos by Chris Graham

Massive Attack @ Sasquatch 2010
Massive Attack

Renowned DC production duo Thievery Corporation and British trip-hop pioneers Massive Attack will combine forces this fall for a must-see co-headlining tour. Both acts are celebrated for their mastery of using instrumentation over the top of rich beats as well as stunning live performances. Confirmed tour dates include 2 amazing nights at New York's Beacon Theatre and a night at the beautiful Santa Barbara Bowl. [Thievery Corporation]
As it says above, the two groups play NYC's Beacon Theatre for two nights on October 21st and 22nd. Ticket on sale date TBA.

The full dates for the tour, which runs October 18th to November 7th are posted below.

Massive Attack played two nights at Terminal 5 in May (and performed on Jimmy Kimmel). Their new record, Heligoland, came out in February. Thievery Corp.'s new album is a best-of called It Takes A Thief, due September 21st on the band's own ESL Music label. They also play Virgin Mobile FreeFest in September.

The pictures here are from Massive Attack's set at Sasquatch Fest in May. More of those and dates for the tour are below...

Massive Attack @ Sasquatch...

Thievery Corporation - 2010 Tour Dates
11.01.2010 - Palladium Ballroom Dallas, TX #
11.04.2010 - RIMAC Arena San Diego, CA #
11.05.2010 - Santa Barbara Bowl Santa Barbara, CA #
11.06.2010 - Greek Theatre Berkeley, CA #
11.07.2010 - Gibson Amphitheatre Los Angeles, CA #
# w/ Massive Attack

Kinda wish I hadn't just seen them at T-5, but I'm pretty sure I'll go to this show. They were excellent at T-5 and adding Thievery Corp to the bill is too tempting.

Posted by Dan | August 2, 2010 3:58 PM

Thievery Corporation are crap.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 4:12 PM

Do you have any idea of the amount of weeed I'm gonna blaze at this show? We talking pounds!

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 4:13 PM

Wost live show I have ever seen = Thievery Corporation, who I went to see because the show was billed as Thievery Corporation w/ Seu Jorge. Seu Jorge was only with them for 2 forgettable songs. Lame as fuck. The most annoying thing was having to listen to twirps talk about how great Thievery Corporation's live show was before they started. The only other highlight was a massivly hot Brazillian gal that had singing some generic sounding electrogarbage with them for a few songs.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 4:22 PM

sorry... MMJ all week long.

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 4:25 PM

I've never seen Thievery Corp perform live. I guess I'm not surprised by the comments.

Posted by Dan | August 2, 2010 4:41 PM

MMJ bitches, sorry

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:01 PM

My thoughts exactly

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:24 PM

my evening cardigan

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:45 PM

my afternoon turtleneck

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 5:47 PM

my fair isle sweater

Posted by Anonymous | August 2, 2010 6:46 PM

I don't know about 4:22, but I have seen Thievery Corporation 3 times. The Summer stage show in 2008 was kind of weak, but they had hands down the best performance at Langerado earlier that same year and they completely destroyed Camp Bisco a couple weeks ago. Two of the best live performances I have ever seen. I don't ever listen to Thievery albums and they can get kinda loungy and boring sometimes. Everybody has off days, but Thievery is easily one of the best touring groups right now. If you catch a good set by them you will not be sorry. Granted, I have never seen them indoors, but the Beacon is possibly the best indoor venue of them all.

Posted by Anonymous | August 3, 2010 11:06 AM

Don't know bout T Corp, but Mass Attack is addictive. If you don't have extra cash don't go, You'll have to see them amap. You'll become a MA HEAD, as in DEAD HEAD and travel everywhere to hear them. Best band right now!

Posted by Rhode Island Roland | August 18, 2010 8:34 PM

Saw them at Orpheum last night. TC had a couple decent numbers, but they felt a bit ... off. The vibe was really missing on most of the songs. MA was great musically, but I hate their light show. It's so goddamn annoying when I want to chill to the music and I keep get pulled back down by this CNN banner in the background.

Posted by Anonymous | October 20, 2010 9:00 AM

Saw TC & MA last night at the Beacon. TC was AMAZING. Their energy was fantastic, and thy were completely ON. Love love love the bass player. MA on the other hand couldn't have been more boring. We actually left about 40 minutes into their set, and saw a lot of other people taking off as well. I was quite disappointed, but TC alone was worth the cost of the ticket.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 12:55 PM

I second "A" at 12:55.

Used to think TC was okay, maybe kinda flat, we used to hit 18th street lounge all those years ago. But my buddy was in from Cleveland and wanted to see them so we got there early. I didn't know one song, but they were utterly AMAZING. Great live band, rivers of bass.

Massive didn't play as long at at T5, but a fair amount of "Mezzanine" tracks, plus "Safe From Harm." And all at the Beacon, waaayy better than at T5!

Posted by bkjj40a | October 22, 2010 1:57 PM

I thought the show last night was so bad. What is with thievery corporation not having a proper drummer? and agreed MA's light show was incredibly annoying and ultimately stressed the shit out of me, which i can do reading the news on my own, for free. if it was here and there it would be one thing, but it was relentless.

Posted by Anonymous | October 22, 2010 3:15 PM

Martina Topley-Bird FTW! She's playing at Fontana's 1am Saturday morning...i.e., in 20 minutes. Saw her on Wednesday at Living Room and it was wonderful. Stop reading this blog and go to Fontanas :)

Posted by Brian | October 23, 2010 12:39 AM