Posted in music | tour dates on August 16, 2010

by BBG

Peter Hook

After visa issues forced Bernard Sumner project Bad Lieutenant to reschedule their first Webster Hall date, followed by a forced cancellation of their US dates in April due to volcanos, it's looking more likely that ex-New Order/Joy Division bandmate Peter Hook will appear at the NYC venue first.

Peter Hook and his band The Light will hit the road for a string of US dates including Webster Hall on December 3rd to perform (much like Deerhoof/Xiu Xiu did recently) all of Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures. Ticket info is forthcoming.

It's not the first time that Hooky has roped out the classic LP for a string of dates, as the 30th anniversary of Ian Curtis's death provided an impetus for a batch of UK dates:

"I went to see Ian's grave... - it was such a beautiful day I thought I'd go and say hello to him and see how he was," he explained. "It's really odd after all these years when you go and do something like that, you see all these tributes [at the grave] and it's really nice."

Hook added: "Now some people will say, like they did about this show, that you shouldn't do it and then a lot of people are thinking that you should do it. So it was nice that we had a club full of people tonight who think we should be doing it and the others can just fuck off." -[NME]

Full tour dates and a ton of video from their recent UK dates are below...

Disorder - Peter Hook and Friends play Unknown Pleasures on the 18th of May at Factory.

Peter Hook and The Light - Unknown Pleasures in HD @ Manchester, Factory 251, 18.05.2010

Peter Hook & Friends Live She's Lost Control @ FAC251 Manchester 18/05/10

Peter Hook & Friends(Joy Division) Live Love Will Tear Us Apart @ FAC251 Manchester 18/05/10

PETER HOOK & THE LIGHT - 2010 TOUR DATES
December 1 Washington, DC 9:30 Club
December 2 Philadelphia, PA Voyeur
December 3 New York, NY Webster Hall
December 4 Boston, MA Royale Nightclub
December 6 Chicago, IL Double Door
December 7 Seattle, WA Showbox At The Market
December 9 Portland, OR Doug Fir
December 10 San Francisco, CA Mezzanine

When will Krist Novelesic announcing his dates for the Nevermind tour?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:36 AM

Looks like someone ran out of money.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:40 AM

very, very sad.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:47 AM

does anyone know if peter hook's book about the hacienda is available in any bookstores in the states? it's on amazon but it says it usually ships "within 1 to 4 months".

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:51 AM

jeez...sad but ill still have to go.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 10:57 AM

Sad and definitely don't want to go...

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 11:06 AM

even if it was hook, sumner and morris performing joy division songs, i'd have to pass.

i saw new order's first nyc show in 1980 and many more after that. but there's something terribly wrong about a band performing songs when the singer who originally sung them is dead (or no longer participating).

i was a HUGE queen fan, but without freddie mercury they are NOT queen. i was a huge undertones fan but without feargal sharkey, they are NOT the undertones.

the beauty of joy division is their brilliance is frozen in time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 11:08 AM

Celebrate the music, it's not a museum display. And Hookey has advice for you if you don't want to hear it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 11:15 AM

hookey should heed his OWN advice and kill this ill-fated exercise in musical masturbation.

no need for a 'museum display.' the music LIVES in the form of cds, vinyl records, etc.

ian curtis is dead. long live joy division.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 11:19 AM

Well, the beauty of new order was they never replaced Ian, they changed their name, started performing new material and Bernard took over vocals. I didn't think they ever played any joy division material until their most recent 2000-ish tours. (excluding ceremony, written by Curtis) at this point, if it was the three of them, it'd be more of a celebration. One, not so much.

Hook needs to just stop the childish blog-bashing and realize without the other two he's really got nothing.

Posted by Holden | August 16, 2010 12:04 PM

New Order played "Love Will Tear Us Apart" when I saw them in the early 00s. It wasn't so bad, just felt like an earnest tribute and it was the only Joy Division song they played. Incidentally, that was an amazing show. It was in the era when Billy Corgan was part of the touring band and he really fit in well. New Order were quite impressive.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 12:39 PM

All I know is that when Peter Hook spins in a local club, which he does about once a year where I live, he spins remixed JD tunes and it is amazing. If he wants to go out and play his old band's songs, it's fine with me.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 12:56 PM

Wait, Billy Corgan was "in" New Order?! Oh my lord...even as just part of the touring band, this is too much...

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 12:57 PM

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 12:59 PM

new order played 'love will tear us apart' and 'atmosphere.' it was so unexpected and breathtaking that i was reduced to a mess of tears.

a few days later at the felt forum there were no joy division songs played.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 1:29 PM

"All I know is that when Peter Hook spins in a local club, which he does about once a year where I live, he spins remixed JD tunes and it is amazing"

I once saw him DJ (some hotel in Tribeca, forgot the name) and all he did was put on a CD and pushed Play. Sat at the bar the rest of the night during his "DJing".

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 1:43 PM

"Peter Hook should not be singing - his voice sounds horrible. The way he sounds in these videos does a great injustice to the memory of Ian Curtis."

oh please. by the same token should bernard not allowed to sing old joy division songs? (ala ceremony)

" once saw him DJ (some hotel in Tribeca, forgot the name) and all he did was put on a CD and pushed Play. Sat at the bar the rest of the night during his "DJing"."

good work if you can get it :)

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 2:48 PM

1:43 He certainly hasn't done that the times I've seen him DJ.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 3:08 PM

hey, here's a thought hooky - make some NEW music worth listening to!

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 3:16 PM

"hey, here's a thought hooky - make some NEW music worth listening to!"

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 3:27 PM

yeah... hooky.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 4:05 PM

he can do whatever the hell he wants

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 4:53 PM

Yeah, why not?

What classic bands have y'all been in?

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 5:09 PM

I am 12:59 who said Peter Hook should not be singing JD songs. However, I have seen videos of Bernard Sumners new band doing JD, and unlike Peter Hook, sounds absolutely fantastic. In my opinion, if these songs don't sound great - don't bother. Bernard sounds great.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 5:25 PM

I once dj'd a club and ate hummus all night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 5:33 PM

"actually, as a veteran of new order's first half dozen NY shows going back to 1980, i can confirm the first time they ever played any joy division songs here was 12/5/86 at the now-defunkt club 1018.
it was a benefit show for some woman who was an integral member of the nyc music scene (i apologize but her name escapes me) who had died."

That was for Ruth Polski, who acted as tour manager when New Order first visited these shores. I remember that 1018 (Roxy) show.

I sat in on the soundcheck for New Order's 1983 Paradise Garage show where they played a section of LWTUA. I also shared a joint with Barney after the gig. But that's another story for another time.

Posted by drewo | August 16, 2010 8:05 PM

5:33 Even though that is a fake hummus comment, LOL

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 8:10 PM

I wish DJ Chickpea would play more often...
I love his daft-punk mashup of
Harder Better Faster Stronger Blender.

Posted by Anonymous | August 16, 2010 8:23 PM

New Order has played Joy Division songs wayyy before 2000. 85- She's Lost Control, Atmosphere. 86- LWTUA. They played Shadowplay, Transmission and lots more in the early 80's. Still, the man who sung "Pineapple Face" should NOT be singing Ian's lyrics EVER!

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 2:52 AM

pathetic

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 5:28 AM

I am looking forward to the webster hall show and I have to go because Peter Hook is a legend.Peter Hook's new band called FREEBASS is very good and their new album is called "IT'S A BEAUTIFUL LIFE".It is sad that New Order broke up, they are one of the greatest band to come out of England. Bernard Sumner and Peter Hook are musical LEGENDS. So last year Bernard Sumner came out with his band called Bad Lieutenant and their cd "Never Cry Another Tear" was a really good cd with great melodies, catchy songs and New Order moments woven into the album, and now Peter Hook comes out with his band called FreeBass and their album is called "It's a Beautiful Life", this is also a great cd with Peter Hook's classic bass in it, the songs are catchy with great melodies in it, it has great New Order type of music woven in to it also, this album surprised the hell out of me, Very good. As a die hard New Order fan I thought that I will never hear music from them again but now we get two albums from them, also if you like this please check out Peter Hook's previous band called Monaco and their album " Music For pleasure" is also a very good album. It is sad that New Order broke up, I hope that they get back together and I am still waiting for the Leftover's from the WFTSC sessions, till then I will have to do with their side project which is also a very good thing.

Posted by Linus Solanki | August 17, 2010 8:06 AM

Posted by Linus Solanki | August 17, 2010 8:06 AM

drewo - thanks for that name check (ruth polski). we'd probably have some interesting stories to swap.

david byrne was also at that 1018 new order gig. i spotted him and followed him into the bathroom.

even though he did NOT wash his hands after exiting the urinal, i shook his hand outside the bathroom and congratulated him on 'true stories' which i believe had just been released. he seemed nervous but was polite.

wasn't at the paradise garage show, but saw them at the peppermint loung in '81 or '82 (remember THAT place?)

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 8:29 AM

thanks for the history lesson Linus. you want to tell us about his childhood as well?

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 3:16 PM

Obviously his other stuff sucks, that is why he keeps changing names: Revenge, Monico, Freebase. All crap. At least Bernard does good stull with Electronic and Bad Lieutenant.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 3:25 PM

"Obviously his other stuff sucks, that is why he keeps changing names: Revenge, Monico, Freebase"

erm. they're all different bands, THAT'S why there are different names.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 3:29 PM

yeah, you keep telling yourself that.

Posted by Anonymous | August 17, 2010 11:35 PM

This is so sad indeed. As much as I like Hooky and being a Red Devil myself it's really sad to see him do this to Joy Division and New Order fans. I guess the lad is simply broke. I still wouldn't pass up the chance to watch him as I support everything that he does. Go on Hooky!

Posted by Reni | August 30, 2010 8:37 AM

you guys are faggots. end of story. enjoy the music, you know youll buy tickets anyway

Posted by PAH | August 30, 2010 11:39 PM

Although JD's music may have been somber this tour is not sad at all. It is a celebration of some of the greatest rock material ever written. Ian would enjoy this retrospective. Remember Ian may have written the lyrics but the music evolved from the synergies amongst all the band members. It is just as much Hook's material as Ian's. As Hooky says stay at home if your are not interested in celebrating this anniversary. And you know what to do there. I am going to the show!!!

Posted by Nestor Perea | September 6, 2010 9:29 PM

Saw this show last night in Sydney, Australia, and I can tell you that it was absolutely fantastic, and also one of the best-received gigs I have ever seen. Didn't see a single person in the crowd who didn't absolutely love it. Anyone who thinks Peter Hook can't sing a Joy Division song well needs to see this.

Posted by The Claw | September 25, 2010 6:21 PM

Biggest Tour in 2010 Roger Waters The Wall, (Bass player of Pink Floyd). Why Cant Peter Hook (Bass Player) play tribute to JD.

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2010 1:08 AM

^ good point!

Posted by Anonymous | November 22, 2010 8:41 AM

Hook wrote the music and should do whatever he wants with Joy Division's catalogue. He was supposed to be the singer for New Order but turned it down because he couldn't play and sing at the same time. You guys diss his voice? Sumner is 25 times worse. Hook was the man behind New Order anyway and the only member worth anything outside of Ian Curtis in JD.

Posted by M. Ferna | December 3, 2010 6:26 PM

F the naysayers. The fact that someone has the balls to perform JD's music after all these years for a brand-new audience of people who have loved the band forever is virtuous and unselfish. Who cares if its money, masturbation, or whatever you ppl think it is? I for one, enjoyed the Philadelphia show tremendously and am happy to have lasted this long to see a semblance of what JD would've been like live. Too bad Bernard and the rest are not with Hooky to do it together. Blah!

Posted by djelrock | December 3, 2010 8:04 PM

From what I have read, this all started when the City of Manchester approached the surviving JD members about doing a 30-year tribute to Unknown Pleasures. Peter Hook suggested actually playing the album live, but could not reach agreement with Bernard Sumner and Stephen Morris about reforming the band even for this. At a certain point, Hooky basically said "To hell with this, I'll just do it myself". The others were invited but chose not to join in. No one can replace Ian on vocals, but I must say Hooky is a vast improvement over Sumner on the JD vocals. It's not his fault, and he was fine as lead singer for New Order, but Sumner's singing voice is just too high for JD songs.

Posted by Anonymous | December 8, 2010 11:25 AM

Posted by يوتيوب | December 15, 2010 8:40 AM

I'm so sick and tired of self-styled purists taking issue with Hooky or his right to have brought Unknown Pleasures back to the stage. How many of you have actually heard this band play UP, as opposed to bad-mouthing the mere notion?

I admit I was a skeptic initially, but only on the basis of whether the music would be adequately represented. Not even Sumner or Morris can justifiably question Pete's right to embark on this undertaking, or his sincerity in doing so. Everyone else should form an opinion on the basis of what they hear and see, or just keep quiet.

Over the last 6 months the whole show has developed. The band is tight; and while Pete is never going to be Ian one has to admire his balls at even taking this on. His improvement since the first UK dates is pretty impressive.

Musically, this is now a much more than merely creditable outing for a body of work that most of us never expected to hear live again. I've got chills just listening to Glass - always one of my favorites.

Thanks Pete for doing this and for taking so much flack from all directions. You were right all along.

I hope Ian, wherever he may be, feels the love...

Posted by Decades | December 15, 2010 7:21 PM

I for one have issue with people bashing hooky for singing. Look back none of them had especially nice melodic voices. That's what was so charming about JD it was un nerving and disturbing but rich. New order the same , I have probably every concert they ever played , Barney was raw shaky and often weak in his live vocals, he never prided himself on it , he said I'm just a guy singing. It was he raw that we loved about it. Hooky is much lower and closer to ian than Barney is. Also , bad lieutenant is marginal at best. Sounds like new order lost Gillian and hooky, wait that's exactly what itis. I am the hooky riff junkie I learned bass for no other reason than to play like him. If I got to hear him playing JD songs on his guitar all night I would consider it an honour, and prolly come in my pants.

Posted by Hookjunkie | December 21, 2010 10:09 PM

Wonderful post and the location is beautiful and elegant in design and information and everything>>> to Favorites
Amazing is an enormous understatement. One of the best electronic shows I've ever been to and I've seen well over a thousand concerts. I had no idea Vladislav Delay was as good a drummer & percussionist as he is- fabulous and he kept everything swinging with a very unique style of playing. If you missed this you missed out big time...
===================

Posted by يوتيوب القمة | March 2, 2011 1:37 AM

There's a really big difference between New Order or Bad Lieutenant playing some JD songs here or there and going out and playing all of Unknown Pleasures on a tour. That being said; it's not like he's actually calling it JD 2.0 and trying to fool anybody. As a fan though, I really wish Hooky with stick with the dj thing until he's got a band or idea worth pursuing. Haven't heard Freebass, but have heard Revenge and Monaco. If they were as amazing as some people on here think, than maybe he should be touring behind that.

Posted by Anonymous | April 24, 2011 8:37 PM

He's playing Joy Division. Did he and they really want to break up?

Posted by jcasil | June 12, 2011 3:50 PM

What is wrong with all of you? Most of the music that comes out today is pure unfiltered garbage. Joy Division is one of the most unique and interesting bands to have ever existed, and for everyone here to say they "like" the band and then talk so much shit because they think Hook's selling out just goes to show how ungrateful everyone has become. i WISH i could go to this show, I wasn't alive to see Joy Division play when Ian Curtis was in the band but hell, I'll take seeing Peter Hook do covers ANYDAY.

Posted by Lauren | September 21, 2011 6:00 PM

Congratulations for posting such a useful weblog. Your blog isn’t only informative but also very artistic too. There normally are very couple of individuals who can write not so simple articles that creatively. Keep up the great work !!

Posted by jocuri | August 30, 2012 5:30 AM