Posted in music | pictures | venues on August 5, 2010

photos by KILLDISCO DESIGN

"dead weather @ don hills an awesome, sweaty mess" - Stuart Willson

Dead Weather

The Dead Weather kicked off their set at the invite-only show at Don Hill's last night right around the same time they were appearing on Letterman, and one night after they headlined a public show in Prospect Park.

On Letterman they played "Blue Blood Blues" with most of the focus, vocals and camera work, on drummer (and vocalist) Jack White. TV viewers seeing the band for the first time may have thought Allison was just the band's tambourine player (and backup singer and keyboard and guitar player). At Don Hill's they played to a beyond packed and sweaty and smoking and wasted crowd. One friend who got in told me it was "scary and dangerous but pretty sweet".

The Don Hill's show was billed as "pre-renovation", but the club is not closing yet. There's a show there tonight, and another one on Friday that will feature a set by Standard Fare (who play Bruar Falls tonight). In fact, there's a bunch of stuff on the club's schedule for this whole month.

More pictures from the Don Hill's show & the Letterman video below...

Dead Weather

Show would've been cooler if 99% of the show weren't rich corporate buttholes who had no idea what was going on. It was more of a party that TDW happened to play at rather than an actual show. Something tells me they didn't want to be there. It's not like Jack to play a special show that doesn't include fans.

I overheard a couple of people going "Yeah, so I heard Jack Black's new band is playing tonight!"

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 12:10 PM

MEH

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 12:23 PM

MEHed Weather.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 12:35 PM

yeah there were some rich corporate scumbags there, but that is expected at any "industry" show. There were also plenty of real fans there as well. Nonetheless, they played a great set.

Posted by anoymous | August 5, 2010 12:50 PM

He's easily a better drummer than Meg.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 12:55 PM

Jack was actually a drummer before he picked up the guitar

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 12:58 PM

Quite a skilled photographer to make Don Hill's look that classy.

Posted by noamjamski | August 5, 2010 12:59 PM

Sounds like a drunk jam that should have never left the rehearsal space.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:04 PM

MEHad MEHther

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:08 PM

Dead Weather fucking suck...quit covering this bullshit

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:10 PM

I really wish Jack White's ego would allow him to just hang out in the background in this band. Alison is perfectly capable of carrying the front(wo)man flag on her own without his constant showboating and spotlight-stealing. Isn't he the focus of attention in enough bands already? Just be the fuckin' drummer this time, dude.

It's not as annoying in the context of an entire live set because for the most part, Alison is allowed to take the spotlight. But that Letterman video is just ridiculous. Out of all the songs on the new album, why choose one that renders a full 1/4 of your band virtually useless?

Posted by FRX | August 5, 2010 1:16 PM

@12:55

I wouldn't be at all surprised if it's actually Jack on drums on some of the White Stripes records

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:18 PM

And the hipsters take Don Hills!

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:24 PM

im def marryin mosshart

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:24 PM

Don Hills is a great space for shows, just really bad shows usually.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:29 PM

Eh, there are some great shows there from time to time. They usually get some Popfest nights. And Standard Fare (great little UK pop band) are playing there tomorrow night.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:32 PM

Jack White has become a cult. Forget a corporation - that was long ago established, deliberately so, and for the sake of protecting one's own art from being co-opted that's not necessarily a bad thing. But what is a bad thing is the cult. It is a full blown cult. He long ago passed the point where it didn't matter what kind of material he was putting out, enough people are going to worship it (and him) no matter what. And his ego has accordingly gotten out of control with each project. It also shows when he can't handle it when people have a negative opinion about something.

The White Stripes were great. Most Important Band of Their Generation. The Raconteurs were a fun, frivolous little project. This thing is utter crap.

Though your entitled to like it if you want. Don't let me stop you. Just recognize it's a cult.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:32 PM

I have to agree with the previous comment. Anything that Jack White touches does become "cultish" (if that's a word). I have to admit the guy loves to experiment and make music and the public is allow him to do that. Even though this project kinda blows.

Posted by DNY | August 5, 2010 1:51 PM

Honestly, Allison is Dead Weather. I was never a Jack White fan but have come to respect him a bit. Allison owns this on stage though.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:09 PM

Thank you. Finally some reasonable people here. This band is derivative garbage. So much posturing and over-stylizing, so little substance. And don't tell me they "kill it" or some other pedestrian response.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:10 PM

To the two commenys before me, wow you two are fucking losers! You obviously haven't seem them live & see the energy they put forth. And besides I wouldn't mind if we were considered a cult if that I ment I knew what was fucking good.
Now, Jack White def. has an ego that needs to be tamed. But w/ all his genius, I guess I can forgive him for being a hogger. Though Alison Mosshart takes it away for me anyday, anytime. She is most certainly a Rock Demi-God!

Posted by Kirby Athurston | August 5, 2010 2:11 PM

energy does not equal quality

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:18 PM

I do think it's somewhat ridiculous that Jack White could record himself taking a shit and all of his fanboys/girls would go out and buy it, but I'm not afraid to say that I like the Dead Weather. Both albums are actually really good, and Jack Lawrence is a great bass player.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:20 PM

When was rock NOT about style and posture?

Seriously. So some people dig a band you don't. Get over it.

Yes, I like Jack White's music because I like Jack White's music. You've exposed me and my vacant soul. I will feel shamed forever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:22 PM

all band memebers have been in other bands before... so yes, even though jack white is the main draw, all of these musicians are good and worth you of bringing in a crowd. the albums are good and they are great live. no one else sounds like them, they are unique and cool

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:24 PM

Thank you, 2:22.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:26 PM

Tim Burton needs to join this band.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:54 PM

12:10 They recently did a "secret" show in Chicago for a cell-phone company. That put me off the Dead Weather straight away, not because all industry shows are bad but because the group has some sort of strange corporate patina that I can't put my finger on and Jack White seems primarily interested in building up pre-fab mercurial personae for himself. It wasn't hard, though, considering I'd never bothered buying on of their records.

Posted by LKJ | August 5, 2010 2:55 PM

1:32 That too.

Posted by LKJ | August 5, 2010 2:56 PM

@2:55

how noble of you to dismiss a band before hearing any of their music. you, sir, are truly the king of music fans. I'm sure Jack White will toss and turn at night over the loss of your $9.88

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:59 PM

The problem with Jack White has always been his screaming vocals. The comments here are right on, if he could just let VV front the band and do all the singing and if he would pick up the guitar for more than one song a night this would be a very strong, great band, because the songs are fine. Those are the band's strong points, VV singing and White playing guitar. The new album is an engineering and mixing powerhouse, it is almost audio 3D. But it also included less VV vocals than the previous album, strongest songs on the album are her songs. IMHO, YMMV.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:59 PM

"I do think it's somewhat ridiculous that Jack White could record himself taking a shit and all of his fanboys/girls would go out and buy it" on Third Man vinyl.

I also would like to see Tim Burton in this band. Anyone from Pale Force's "Legion of Pale" would work too.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:02 PM

saw the white stripes way back when do a free, corporate sponsored show in union square, it was a lunch time show, the stripes went over their time limited and someone pulled the plug, but jack and meg carried on jack kept singing and playing and meg kept drumming, i was up close so i could still hear... hey, do you wanna get paid or sit in your deadbeat van wondering what chuck berry is having for dinner....???

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:15 PM

@2:59

I agree that White should leave the vocal duties to Alison, but I don't think having him play more guitar would benefit the band in any way, other than appeasing the clueless "fans" who come to the shows only to see the drummer pick up a guitar.

If he wanted to be in another band where he's the lead guitarist, he could easily have made it so. But this "I'm the drummer, but I have to be in the spotlight and play some guitar too" just comes across as wishy-washy. If you form a band in which you're the drummer, play the fucking drums.

It's also a great disservice to Dean Fertita, who is perfectly capable of shouldering the guitar duties in this band. To waltz out to the front of the stage for one or two songs, guitar in hand, just to feed your ego with the rapturous applause it needs to survive is a slap in the face to the guitarist who's been working his ass off all night.

If he craves the spotlight that much, why bother with the drums at all? I'm sure it would have been just as easy to find another drummer for this band, leaving him free to play guitar god to his heart's contents.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:16 PM

I saw the free White Stripes show at Pier 54. I would call that corporate sponsored.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:20 PM

people of the world. the music industry is a BUSINESS. bands do have to do some things that they will get paid for so they can continue to make and record new music.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:24 PM

Wow. Lots of haters out there. Dead Weather was sublime last night as usual. They are bad ass (unlike the crowd last night). And who ever commented that it got "dangerous and scary" obv doesn't get out much

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:25 PM

dead weather are a rockin' outfit... they make alot of noise, dean plays great guitar, lil jack is a great base player... jack is jack, a great personality, drummer, guitar player... and alison, looks great on stage, has a mean swagger, screams like a halloween wind and don't tell me you wouldn't let her tie you up...

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:39 PM

"Multi-Instrumentalist". Say it together now, children. "Multi-Instrumentalist"....

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:55 PM

does jack bang mosshart? i imagine yes. that's got to be the reason this band still exists.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 4:01 PM

4:01- dipshit. do you buy into every marketing scheme?

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 4:33 PM

this band rocks. jack white rocks. everyone else can go listen to arcade fire or whatever else is cool this week.

Posted by dustin burrows | August 5, 2010 4:34 PM

2:59 #1: I said I'd never bothered buying their music. I didn't say I'd never heard it.

Posted by LKJ | August 5, 2010 5:16 PM

2:59 #1: Furthermore, I've given Jack White plenty of my dosh.

Posted by LKJ | August 5, 2010 5:18 PM

I was able to get one song on video from the Don Hills show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 8:00 PM

The real secret about this secret show is they have a secret hummus stand downstairs in the back. That's where the REAL party was!

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2010 2:41 AM

typical BV bullshit. out of all the comments about 2% of them come from people who actually listen to the band or were at the show that is being mentioned. everyone else talks out of their ass and pretends they know what they're talking about because they listen to all the bands no one else gives a shit about

Posted by matt | August 6, 2010 2:48 AM

u got me 8:00 pm

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2010 8:44 AM

Discount forever.

Posted by Anonymous | August 6, 2010 7:21 PM

People are sad that this isn't the White Stripes.

It's not the White Stripes. It's different. The genre is different. The feel is different.

Whether or not it's good is, frankly, subjective. I like it. It's simple. It's rock.

As for Jack White, it's difficult to dispute that he's one of the most talented and singular musicians of this generation. If anything, appreciate that.

Posted by Alex | August 7, 2010 4:28 AM