Posted in music | pictures on August 4, 2010

photos by Jessica Amaya

"One more time, The Dead Weather stomped Brooklyn last night. Great show." -artgig

"Dead weather KILLED. Didnt celebrate bklyn so much as set it aflame." -rathermarvelous

"I bet you read Brooklyn Vegan too," says Jack White, "any other vegans in the crowd out there? come on stage and we'll kill a cow together" -ndersonTEA

"i saw you at the dead weather concert in prospect park...i was going to say hello to you but you had some guy totally jocking you the whole night. any wasys youre beautiful" -M4W

Dead Weather

"Not too many people would have the audacity to walk on stage, blow torch in hand, and proceed to light their front woman's cigarette. Then again, not everyone is Jack White. The Dead Weather was in full force from the moment they graced the stage. The all-black-everything entourage attacked the stage with pristine white guitars that were used as battle axes as they attacked the stage with their raw sound. Alison Mosshart prowled the stage taking complete command of each song as White's drumming thundered between wails on guitar and tight thumping bass. Song after song pummeled the crowd, showing that their strong suit really is in the live performance, as the set built to the electrifying "Will There Be Enough Water?" Once Mr. White strapped on his six string there was no turning back. He ripped through the track while sharing lead vocal duties and microphone battles with Mosshart. Despite being behind a kit instead of his usual lead, White still ran the show, top hat, feather, and all. His fills on the skins were pulsating all evening however, on both the occasions he took duty on guitar his true talent was unveiled. Few have been as productive as Jack White in this past decade and while I still believe that neither of his recent projects have matched the brilliance of the White Stripes, the Dead Weather truly earned much respect last night. "[omg nyc]
The Dead Weather headlined a Celebrate Brooklyn benefit (aka ticketed & paid) show at Prospect Park last night (August 3rd). Harlem opened (though we don't have pictures of them).

The Dead Weather are on Letterman tonight (and they play an invite-only show at Don Hill's). More pictures and the set list from the Brooklyn show (thanks for the shout out Jack), below...

The Dead Weather at Celebrate Brooklyn August 3, 2010 setlist
1. 60 Feet Tall
2. Hang You From The Heavens
3. You Just Can't Win (Van Morrison cover)
4. So Far From Your Weapon
5. I Cut Like A Buffalo
6. No Horse
7. The Difference Between Us
8. I'm Mad
9. Rocking Horse
10. Hustle and Cuss
11. Die By The Drop
12. New Pony (Dylan cover)
13. Will There Be Enough Water?
Encore:
14. Forever My Queen
15. Blue Blood Blues
16. I Can't Hear You
17. Treat Me Like Your Mother

Dead MEHther.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:11 PM

they stole the Yeah Yeah Yeahs stage setup from last year's tour!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:12 PM

damnit, 2:11, how did you beat me to it?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:14 PM

Sorry 214. You can have MEHd Weather if you want.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:16 PM

These recaps need less Twitter quotes and more Craigslist missed connection quotes!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:16 PM

People payed 40 dollars to see a one-album band play 12 songs. lol.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:18 PM

this band is the biggest marketing ploy joke ever. if jw wasn't in the band, no one would bother with them. i would love to shave mosshart's head and take away her cigarettes.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:24 PM

she still embarassed about Discount?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:24 PM

I would love to see BV change the header of the "Comments" section to "Asshole"

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:25 PM

2:18, they have two albums. Comment on things you know something about.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:26 PM

Fun show, though i thought they were better at yerminal 5 last year (despite the venue). They're really more about attitude than they are music. The only song that i really love is will there be enough water, and its no coincidence that its the one song where jack white picks up a guitar. If all the kitsch

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:27 PM

replace "attitude" with "affectation"

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:28 PM

The show was amazing.The Dead Weather killed it.

No pics of Jack White on guitar?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:29 PM

dbag 2:18, 1 album? Riiiight. Go drown urself. They crushed it last night

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:32 PM

That setlist is definitely incorrect. They played a 4 song encore and closed with "Treat me Like Your Mother." Looks like they just copied what was posted on setlist.fm. Still trying to figure out the whole set now

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:35 PM

u just cant win when u are innnnnnn-VM

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:38 PM

What music do people on this site actually like? All there ever is, is negative comments.

Geez guys, save it for Wavves.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:52 PM

I heard Magical Garbage is opening up for them tonight

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:54 PM

wow. lots of "attacking" in that review.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:56 PM

How was Harlem? I wasn't able to get there until they were off the stage. Really bummed out about it.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:57 PM

i like t5 better

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:57 PM

I put the setlist in my phone song by song last night....

60 Feet Tall
Hang You from the Heavens
You Just Can't Win
So Far From Your Weapon
I Cut Like a Buffalo
Child of a Few Hours
Difference Between Us
I'm Mad
Rocking Horse
Hustle and Cuss
Die by the Drop
New Pony
Will There Be Enough Water?
----------------
Forever My Queen
Blue Blood Blues
Treat Me Like Your Mother

I really wanted to hear Jawbreaker....but oh well

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 2:59 PM

Forever My Queen? The Pentagram song? They covered it or is it just coincidence?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:08 PM

Boll Weevil

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:10 PM

yeah it was 17 songs not 11

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:11 PM

I have it as 16 songs

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:12 PM

Loved it - Jack's drumming was awesome. The band really masters teetering on the edge of falling apart but still holding it together. Dean and "Little" Jack lay a tight foundation for JW and Alison to let loose. During "Cut Like A Buffalo" it sounded like they did lose it for a moment but then it morphed into a little jam before coming back together. At least that's what it sounded like to me. Awesome show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:16 PM

harlem was underwhelming, that band isnt built for outdoor shows. Bring em back to the merc

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:17 PM

Harlem was terrible, those three amateurs have no business being on a stage. They spent a good 25% of their set giggling and talking to each other, trying to decide what song to play next (they all sound the same anyway).

If you're gonna be playing in front of people, do yourselves a favor: write a setlist, stop goofing around like a bunch of schoolgirls (no one thinks it's cute or charming), and just play your fucking songs and get off the stage so the real musicians can play.

That shit is all well and good when it's just the three of you in your mom's basement, but it's just embarrassing when you take to the stage. Have some respect for the people who paid money to come to the show and get your act together.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:18 PM

jack is the man... the whole band rocked out... if that ain't what you want... stay home and shut the f up...

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:20 PM

To the jackass behind me yelling "Jack White, play guitar!" between every song, followed by "this is what I came for!" when he finally did:

You're a fucking idiot. If the only reason you came to see a band in which Jack White is the drummer was to see said drummer play guitar, you should have just stayed home and spared us your incessant shouting.

You are the most unfortunate byproduct of an indie band gaining mainstream success. Once 'Seven Nation Army' went into high radio rotation, all the worst elements of fratrock douchebaggery came out of the fucking woodwork and have been ruining every Jack White-related concert experience ever since.

Do the rest of us a favor and divert your concert ticket funds to something more well-suited to your asshole-ish nature. Perhaps the Rockstar Mayhem Festival with Korn and Rob Zombie is more up your alley.

P.S. - My deepest condolences for the canceled Limp Bizkit tour. I'm sure 'Nookie' would have been epic.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:28 PM

I AM A BANANA!!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:37 PM

Basically, it was a jam session with Jack White and a couple of his friends. Given that, it was a better show than expected.

Posted by Roberto | August 4, 2010 3:41 PM

I think there is still a missing song in the commenters update. I'm pretty sure it was 17. (the 12 song list from setlist.fm is just nonsense)

People can whine and cry all they want about which Jack project they like (or hate) the most, but one thing that's pretty noticable is that he seems to have a lot of fun playing with DW.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:44 PM

I can't hear you was played also.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:45 PM

The sound was way too quiet! Bass needed to be cranked way the fuck up. I could barely hear Harlem.

Also disappointed by the lack of new stuff! They definitely played "I Can't Hear You" during the encore, btw

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:53 PM

"jack white, play guitar"... that's funny.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 3:57 PM

They did not play Child of a Few Hours. They did play I Can't Hear You and No Horse. Show was amazing. Anyone know how to get an invite to Don Hill's tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 4:03 PM

That's too bad about Harlem. I really enjoy their albums, but you can tell from interviews they aren't sold on the whole band thing. They almost can't be bothered to care.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 4:09 PM

1. 60 Feet Tall
2. Hang You From The Heavens
3. You Just Can't Win
4. So Far From Your Weapon
5. I Cut Like A Buffalo
6. No Horse
7. The Difference Between Us
8. I'm Mad
9. Rocking Horse
10. Hustle and Cuss
11. Die By The Drop
12. New Pony
13. Will There Be Enough Water?

Encore:
14. Forever My Queen
15. Blue Blood Blues
16. I Can't Hear You
17. Treat Me Like Your Mother

Posted by FRX | August 4, 2010 4:17 PM

Did Jack White really make that comment about BV at the show?

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 4:23 PM

^^ Yes he did.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 4:27 PM

setlist updated before, sorry and thanks!

Posted by brooklynvegan | August 4, 2010 4:28 PM

"dead mehther" was funny the first time, back in early 2009. now it's just repetitive everytime bvegan publishes a dead weather article.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 5:03 PM

you mean a dead MEHther article

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 5:19 PM

Yes, 4:03. We all do know how to get an invite, but we're not going to tell you, and you'll be the only one left out of the private show at a 300-person capacity venue in one of the largest cities in the world while the rest of us are having fun.

In other words, no one who posts on brooklynvegan is a) going or b) going to tell strangers the secret magic password.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 6:23 PM

i know the secret magic password. it's "GOFUCKYOURSELF." try that at the door.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 6:29 PM

Don Hill's has a secret standing policy to admit anyone who gives the true secret magic password of "hummus."

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 8:40 PM

i like the pictures. maybe because there are no close ups of people texting or just randomly sitting.

Posted by Anonymous | August 4, 2010 9:10 PM

Show fucking rocked. Period. Just straight-up, hard rock and roll.

Although great call to whomever pointed out the fact that they lost it a bit during "Cut Like a Buffalo"...something was WAY off during that song. In fact, I felt like the sound guys were experimenting for the first five or so songs. It was still sick though.

And Harlem...yeah. They got a good thing going, but definitely not built for the outdoor setting. Looking to give them another shot at Lollapalooza this weekend, but I think they were made for the indoor scene.

Posted by The Dude | August 5, 2010 12:26 AM

HARLEM KILLED IT. SHUT THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKERS.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:33 AM

"They're really more about attitude than they are music"

Is that Liza Minnelli? blowtorch this attitude right down to the ground.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:51 AM

I had sex with gay hipsters in the bushes.. Jack white joined in and we chatted about brooklyn vegan memes, and how some commenters are super jerks and it hurts our feelings, because we wanna share and enjoy music and culture in a civilized, progression manner. Well I woke up next day with my ears ringing and ring worm in my butt.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:38 AM

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 3:38 AM

At least your bumb is OK thanks to that rocker with snazzy threads Mr. Dark Knight Jack White.
Maybe you could have gotten a mustachio ride from that Gretch twin bass player. You guys can listen to the blues while trying on your Black Rebel cow hyde boots while explaining the hard ships of wealthy white men on the road like a Rolling Stone.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 5:37 AM

The Dead Weather killed it in Brooklyn on Tuesday. Jack White is an AMAZING Musician, they all are. Would like to have heard "3 Birds", The Invisible Man" and "Jawbreaker", but even still, what a powerful show! Watching Jack sing "You Just Can't Win" was mind-blowing. He has such stage presence and he brought every girl in the audience to her knees I can assure you. Love that hat Jack! You are all I can think about right now! Looking forward to your new project with Laura Marling. She's a great young talent!

Posted by Judi Molinari | August 5, 2010 9:47 AM

3:18, i love you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 10:03 AM

the password is fidelio....

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 10:03 AM

3:18, i love you.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 10:03 AM

I am a girl and I stayed standing the whole time.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 1:18 PM

Wew, that was a fucking great show; my neck is still realing from all the head-banging. First of all I want to give a shout out to EVAN SELIGMAN; who thank God; came out of nowhere & rocked the front of the line for us & the line itself; you guys were awesome.
Now for TDW, I'm so happy they played "I Can't Hear You" & "Forever My Queen" you can't get more awesome then that. I wished they played Gasoline though. By some miracle I hope they come back next year to do a one-off show or even a record. Orgasems abundant if that happens.
Btw LJ is going back to The Greenhornes & there's a free show on Sep. 3rd; all u have to do is RSPV. Hope to see u guys there.

Posted by Kirby Athurston | August 5, 2010 2:00 PM

a child of a few hours is burning to death would have been more awesome though I don't think they could top the version they played at MHOW

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:35 PM

Dead Weather are a good rock band, Jack White is obviously talented...

But does anybody think that this will be looked back upon like Phil Collins today? Frontmen / women behind the drums leaves a bad aftertaste.

Posted by Anonymous | August 5, 2010 2:45 PM

The show was great. They are all talented musicians. If you like the Kills, and Raconteurs, and obviously Jack White, then this is what it sounds like when all those bands decide to get into a bar fight and bitch slap each other's momma. It's fantastic!

The Dead Weather is the ultimate mix of that, all you people who say they suck, or that it's Jack White just jamming with friends get real. If you know anything about Jack White, then you would know that the DW is like his ultimate project. That dude's been dying to rock the fuck out of the blues and he does it more than well in this band.

While Jack White is also a mean guitar player he originally started out on the drums. I suggest you fuckers watch "It Might Get Loud".

The Prospect Park show was awesome. If you didn't think so you need a lobotomy because you obviously weren't enjoying life to begin with. What will move if this show didn't make you rock out?

But yes, Harlem sucked. Its liked watching Vampire Weekend with NO SOUL play the same song over and over again. Bad match for an opener.

Posted by NtC | August 5, 2010 3:51 PM

NtC, how would you like a job publicizing new acquisitions?

Posted by landfill PR | August 6, 2010 6:40 AM

Wow! You guys are so cool! I can't believe how cool everybody is! Lucky you, you cool people!

Posted by Jemma | August 6, 2010 1:31 PM

eh, I'm going with Dead MEHeather, too. And I really like The Kills & I also like some White Stripes.

Posted by s | August 6, 2010 2:37 PM

4 rules:

1. Don't bring your kids to a rock show.

2. Don't spend the entire show with your hands above your head recording the show on your phone so you can post it to YouTube. No one watches that blasted out shit anyways. I was behind a girl recording the show with a phone and coudn't see shit.

3. Stop fuckin yapping! Go catch up on your outfits and shoes before the show ya shallow piece of pube.

Harlem sucked so much. DW were okay. Sloppy and Jack White overplayed the drums. Give it about a B-

p.s. - Its the end of July. Why the fuck are they wearing leather jackets. Yes, we know you are in a rock band. No need to prove it to us.

Posted by Anonymous | August 10, 2010 11:11 AM

"1. Don't bring your kids to a rock show. "

as an old dude, from my perspective...you are ALL kids at a rock show.

Posted by rockin grandpa | August 10, 2010 11:32 AM