Posted in music | tour dates on August 18, 2010

by Andrew Frisicano

Nellie McKay playing piano (more by Chris La Putt)
Nellie McKay

Highline Piano Series, eight nights of piano-centric pop and jazz at Highline Ballroom, kicks off Wednesday night (8/18, tonight) with a performances by Vienna Teng & Alex Wong and songwriter Joey Ryan. Tickets are still on sale. One highlight of this year's series will be Nellie McKay on August 29th (tickets are on sale). Nellie's only other upcoming NYC performance comes October 15th as part of Broadway Melody Makers (multiple performers doing Broadway tunes) at Town Hall. Tickets are on sale.

Last year, Highline Piano series hosted jazz legends like McCoy Tyner and Cecil Taylor. This year, Tyner will play his second free outdoor show of the summer (the first was June 23rd at Central Park SummerStage) on Saturday, August 28th at Marcus Garvey Park in Harlem. That's the first day of the Charlie Parker Jazz Fest, which features Jason Moran and the Bandwagon, JD Allen Trio, and Revive Da Live, who'll be performing a special Charlie Parker tribute set. The next day (8/29), Jimmy Scott, Vijay Iyer, The Cookers and Catherine Russell continue the fest at Tompkins Square Park. Both shows are free and start at 3pm.

The full Highline Piano Series schedule and Nellie McKay's tour dates are posted below...

Highline Piano Series 2010 schedule
Aug 18 Vienna Teng & Alex Wong, Joey Ryan
Aug 19 Paula Valstein, Jonah Smith, Casey Shea
Aug 21 Leon Russell
Aug 23 Dylan Different: Ben Sidran with Amy Helm, Will Bernard, Tim Luntzel, Leo Sidran
Aug 27 Benevento Russo Duo

10/29/2010 Eugene, OR John G. Shedd Institute for the Arts
10/30/2010 San Francisco, CA SFJAZZ
11/1/2010 Santa Cruz, CA Kuumbwa Jazz Center
/12/2011 Brookville, NY Tilles Center for the Performing Arts

boringggg...

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 5:27 PM

Nellie McKay needs to do something better with her life than playing fucking piano shows all the time in NYC or guesting at Aimee Mann's Christmas show.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 6:05 PM

Nellie MEHkay

She probably smells like hummus since she's a worthless vegan freak

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 6:57 PM

Fox

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 8:10 PM

What's wrong with Aimee Mann? A whole world of intelligent people like Aimee Mann AND underground twaddle that hipsters live for.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 8:11 PM

I think you just pointed out exactly what's wrong with Aimee Mann right there 8:11 hahahaha

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 8:16 PM

8:16 What should I have said, then? If I didn't state that hipsters also like her, then I would've been under fire for defending a "non-Brooklyn Vegan artist."

A person can't win with the twats on this board.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 8:59 PM

8:11 aimee and nellie play real music, that has thought and feeling behind it...this is why we enjoy it. unlike bands such as COASTING, that will be out of style as soon the other beach and surf bands DIE.

Nellie Mckay is the best!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 9:07 PM

No, you see, while those surf lo-fi bands are shit, what's equally shitty is the "I'm way too smart and above trendiness to listen to 'hipster' music" crowd who indulge in bland, boring, baring risktaking music like this. Now go retreat back to your IKEA furnished lofts to drink wine while slowly killing yourself with the dullness of Nellie McKay's music. It's a shame she isn't related to Ian, or perhaps he just changed the spelling of his surname to distance herself...

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 9:51 PM

Nellie = bigmouth strikes again!

That piehole of hers is bigger than a fucking subway tunnel.

Posted by soysalami | August 18, 2010 9:57 PM

McCoy Tyner means more to music than any band you've seen this year, you insipid fucks!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 10:27 PM

The problem with assholes commenting here is the fact that they are so full of themselves that any music that does not appeal to them is crap and everyone who listens to these are idiots. I am an Ian MacKaye fan whose career I have followed since I was 14 (for about 20 years) and I take an Aimee Mann fan over dipshits like the guy above any day.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 10:28 PM

If we're talking Ian MacKaye vs. Aimee Mann, it's Ian all the way. How'd this debate get started again? Oh wait nevermind, just one holier than thou hummus eating hipster cum ragging over his or her tastes while another hummus eating hipster tries to outcum the other one.

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 11:11 PM

Whoa, wait, when did Ian MacKaye start playing the piano!? I thought he was straight edge!!

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 11:43 PM

shes hot

Posted by Anonymous | August 18, 2010 11:49 PM

Another problem I see here is this: If a guy likes, say, Aimee Mann, the BV brigade thinks he's nothing but an IKEA-shopping wanker. If a guy likes Aimee Mann AND everything on the Mexican Summer and Captured Tracks labels, for example, now he's just a poseur who couldn't possibly "really" like the chillwave stuff...because he's an IKEA-shopping wanker pretending to be cool. Or, to the people who think chillwave is overrated, he's just an idiot whose crime is worse because he also likes someone viewed by the BV brigade as mainstream.

Mainly, the comments here seem to be posted by snotty contrarians, and I've said it before: you just can't win with the people on this board. I'm starting to feel sorry for the editors, for while they try to report on a wide swath of musical events in the NYC area the bulk of the readership seems to tolerate only one-tenth of those events. Quite frankly, I'd yank the comments section if I were them.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 11:56 AM

Ian v Nellie? Idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:28 PM

I just read this and I have liked reading the Brooklyn Vegan for a while. It is very good. First I read it about Amy Winehouse who I was lucky to see and Brooklyn Vegan wrote a nice story. People can be nice and just thank people for blogs that haves information. Also Nellie Mckay sings 16 October at Deerhead inn. It is a nice place if you come to that area.

Posted by Lezchek | September 9, 2010 4:37 PM

I love Nellie Mckay's voice, I listen to her songs every weekend after long hour of work in my studio. Somehow I find her jazz songs so refreshing and soothing for the kind of meditation - half yoga practice I do every Sunday.

Posted by Dan Roberts | October 17, 2010 10:59 AM