Posted in music | pictures on August 19, 2010

photos by Alexander Stein

"HOLY SHIT O M G I KNOW IM A BIT LATE BUT YO GABBA GABBA & MGMT, OMG, I CAN'T HANDLE THIS. I LOVE LIFE." - Charlotte J

MGMT

" On a stage lit mostly by an abstract, curling, wave-shaped screen, singer Andrew VanWyngarden of Brooklyn's MGMT stared up at the top balcony of Radio City Music Hall.

He was silent at first, more overwhelmed than scared. Finally, he blurted out, "Nobody's more surprised about us being here than me."

His astonishment seemed shared by the hipsters in the house not used to seeing their band with such a large crowd, many of whom don't know their Greenpoint from their Bushwick." [NY Post]

The masterminds behind Yo Gabba Gabba realized that MGMT's new demographic is all kids (pun intended), so the group from the children's TV show stopped by Radio City Music Hall last night, Wednesday, August 18th, to make a surprise appearance on stage with MGMT who were headlining their second night in row at the fancy venue. And actually, it was during "Kids" that DJ Lance Rock and his army of multi-colored living sex toys ran on stage. Videos below.

MGMT friends Amazing Baby opened the show. Francis & the Lights opened the night before.

The costumed characters' appearance (I mean Yo Gabba Gabba) is far from random. MGMT have been on the TV show, and Yo Gabba have FIVE shows of their own coming up at the same NYC venue. Tickets are still on sale.

More pictures from Wednesday night, the setlist from both shows, and Yo Gabba Gabba/MGMT videos, below..

MGMT - Kids @ Radio City Music Hall 8.18.10

MGMT Concert at Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY, USA Setlist on August 17, 2010
1. Pieces Of What
14. Congratulations
Encore:
15. Future Reflections
16. Someone's Missing
17. The Handshake
18. I Found A Whistle

MGMT Concert at Radio City Music Hall, New York, NY, USA Setlist on August 18, 2010
1. Flash Delerium
2. The Youth
3. 4th Dimensional
4. Weekend Wars
5. It's Working
6. Of Moons, Birds & Monsters
7. Electric Feel
8. Song For Dan Treacy
9. Anything Could Happen (The Clean)
10. Time to Pretend
11. Siberian Breaks
12. Destrokk
13. The Handshake
14. Kids w/Yo Gabba Gabba
Encore:
15. Someone's Missing
16. Congratulations
17. Brian Eno

yeah, the guitarist said that quote, not andrew

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:09 PM

this is ridiculous

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:18 PM

Well thanks for clearing that up loser. Now i can go on with my life. Maybe you and that other loser quoted above, Charlotte, can get together. You can discuss everything MGMT and find ecstacy in the fact that a bunch of people dressed in costumes joined them on stage.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:19 PM

My kids are watching a one-eyed, spiked dildo and a talking butt plug on TV?

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:21 PM

I think 1:19 has a Muno stuck where the sun don't shine.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:25 PM

Hey as much as I don't like this band, at least they seem to be changing up their setlist each night unlike AF and LCD....

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:35 PM

1:21 Don't admit that you have kids--you will be run out of BV Comment Land for being "old" and an "IKEA wanker."

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:47 PM

Too bad MGMT sucks...

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:48 PM

^^^ Ditto

Posted by CNC | August 19, 2010 1:49 PM

I think that Congratulations is one of the best albums of the year.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 1:56 PM

I'm going to take my nephew to the Yo Gabba Gabba show at the Wang in Boston. He's obsessed. Seriously, why were there no kid shows this cool when I was a kid?

Posted by YoungDMC | August 19, 2010 1:58 PM

I like the albums, but I went last night and was disappointed with them live. Maybe disappointed isn't the right word, because I was steeling myself for them being kinda crap live - and they were. Also is their sound mix seriously that bad every show? A lot of it had to do with that, as well as a lackluster performance.

Also, the lead singer was always in the dark.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:05 PM

'the handshake' was the highlight of the show

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:25 PM

Part of what makes "Congratulations" such a great album is a lot of studio wizardry, which is difficult to recapitulate live. They seem more capable playing the simpler pop songs on their first record, plus the tweens sure do love 'em. I was really glad they played "Siberian Breaks" though. An epic egg on the face of the douchebags that paid $50 to hear one hit.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:26 PM

arcade fire are changing their setlists up tons every night. dunno what the fuck you're talking about.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:33 PM

"An epic egg on the face of the douchebags that paid $50 to hear one hit."

I like that a lot. My thoughts exactly.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:45 PM

anyone catch the flying wook story from Phish last night. Mofo landed right in front of me

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:51 PM

I dont get Yo Gabba Gabba? ..neither do my kids.. every time I put it on, they are like WTF ? ..of course without the F

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:52 PM

@ 2:52: It's funny. My twentysomething friends all love Yo Gabba Gabba. You know what else they love? Acid.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 2:55 PM

how many 12 year olds dropped acid at this show?

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 4:58 PM

@2:05: you were expecting them to be bad yet you bought a ticket? also, from where I was, it sounded awesome...maybe your head was up your ass so you couldn't hear well enough....

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 5:44 PM

News Flash!!
The sound isn't the same in every seat in the venue. If you were in the center orchestra it sounded great. If you were in the 2nd Mezz, it probably didn't.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 5:59 PM

I was looking forward to hearing them live until I heard from others about their live show, and saw their SNL appearance recently - that's when I lowered expectations. I was Row NN center orchestra - the sound was a muddy mess.

Posted by Anonymous | August 19, 2010 6:20 PM

check out my beard and v-neck t shirt!

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2010 12:40 AM

sorry, folks, i walked out of the tuesday night show because the sound was just awful... i sat in orchestra row pp, center... it was a waste of my time and money

Posted by Moldymind | August 20, 2010 9:12 AM

the sound was pretty bad unfortunately (orchestra center stage on Tuesday) but still, I enjoyed the show quite a bit. what surprised me most was how actually unpretentious this supposedly overhyped and hipster-posturing band really is. they came across as real musicians focused on performing their often intricate compositions live, sometimes failing, occasionally succeeding brilliantly.

Posted by Anonymous | August 20, 2010 9:15 PM

i went to the aug 18th show, an was in orchestra about 19 rows back from the stage.And honestly it was completly amazing. The sound was great, the song setup was awsome and the view was fantastic. Was truely one of the best of my lifetime. You people up there need to take your head out of your ass and apretiate the genius of congratulations ang mgmt itself. Because theyre brilliant and original, so if you dont apritiate the originality then get the fuck off.

Posted by Anonymous | September 4, 2010 1:31 AM

yooo, andrew vanwyngarden is hot as i wish i cold be. my friend says she doesnt like him but ironically, she had a wet dream about him. hes too hot to avoid. and even if he does dress weird sometimes, when i get the opportunity to fuck him, hell be naked so whats the problem????? plus hes part of my celebrity trio including david beckham and johnny knoxville and i adore him most.

and no i am not a fat ugly 20 something year old sitting at home on her fat lazy ass, im actually a 13 yr old, 5" 1 less than 85 lbs. and the best looking out of my parent kids. so suck on that while i suck on andrew vanwyngarden and my friend pretends not to

Posted by Anonymous | January 3, 2011 12:09 AM

whats your number girl? you 14 yet?

Posted by haha | January 24, 2011 10:15 AM

OMG. Andrew looks SO sexy in these pics!!!!!!!

Posted by i<3MGMT | July 7, 2011 1:50 PM

These comments are killing me. lol I think they are a good band. Haven't seen them live so I can't comment on that.

Posted by BB | September 8, 2011 9:42 PM