Posted in music | pictures | tour dates on September 24, 2010

photos by Matthew Eisman

Pavement @ Summerstage, Thursday, 9/23/10
Pavement

Jacob Ganz: Hi Matthew. How was the show [Thursday night]?

Matthew Perpetua: This was the weird night.

MP: The night in Williamsburg was good, but kind of an off night. The first Central Park show was just wonderful, they were as on as they possibly could be: Great moods, playing as well as you could hope for. Dream Pavement show. The second show was the rainy night, and was kinda dramatic and I think there was a real intensity to the audience because of the weather conditions. Tonight was the one where they were kinda tired, odd moods, a bit sloppier, definitely just kinda weird and goofy.

MP: I've liked that all the shows have been different types of Pavement shows, and I'm glad one of them was like this.

JG: How many times have you seen them play now?

MP: I saw six shows in the original run, and I'll see six in the reunion tour.

MP: So as of tonight, it's 11. And I've seen Malkmus solo or with the Jicks many times over, and I've heard dozens of live bootlegs.

Who else is going to all five NYC shows? Counting Matthew, I know of at least two. I knew three, but one of them sold their tickets to the rainy night after scoring some tickets to see Yeah Yeah Yeahs at Monster Island. They could have actually done both but didn't want to take the chance (Jen Pelly did take the chance and saw both shows that night) (not that four out of the five shows isn't impressive).

Endless Boogie opened for Pavement in Central Park last night. The Beets open the 5th and final NYC show tonight (9/24). Pavement also appeared on Fallon last night.

After NYC, Pavement heads down to play the free Virgin Fest at Merriweather Post Pavillion, stops in Atlanta, Texas and LA, and then ends it all (or do they?) at the Matador 21 Festival in Vegas. (and actually, are there any scheduled shows after that? I can't find any, but thought I maybe saw one announced for overseas).

UPDATE: I knew I saw other dates get announced. They are in Brazil and Argentina and happening in November (thanks Hiro).

All dates and more pictures from last night's Rumsey Playfield show (including the setlist again), below...

Pavement - 2010 Tour DAtes
Friday September 24 New York, NY Rumsey Playfield/Central Park
Saturday September 25 Columbia, MD Merriweather Post Pavillion - Virgin Free Fest
Sunday September 26 Atlanta, GA The Tabernacle

Guitar Wolf: 7:30pm - 8:10pm
Doors: 7:00pm
Saturday November 20 Sao Paulo, Brazil Playcenter
Monday November 22 Buenos Aires, Argentina Luna Park

BEARD

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 2:33 PM

the guy with the beard is my favorite pavement fan. and yep, 5! it has been super fun.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 2:40 PM

Malkmus said, "Three more shows with Steve West...." so I guess after Atlanta show, Gary Young will be coming back????

I can't believe Pavement is only getting an hour to play at Matador 21....

Belle and Sebastian gets 75 minutes and Guided by Voices gets 90 minutes.....

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 2:50 PM

I imagine it's quite possible that Pavement will go past that "time limit."

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 2:58 PM

No unfortunately, the Pearl has strict curfew of 1am so bands won't be able to play the main stage past 1am.....

but there will be other shows going on after 1am in the smaller rooms.

Really though, who is more influential....

Pavement or Guided by Voices?

I think Pavement.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:01 PM

Meh! Endless Boogie were Endlessy Boring... They opened up with one generic stoner rock riff that they continued to play for 15 minutes. 2 songs in 30 minutes, Holy MOEly. Not even having Nigel Tufnels wig on stage could help them out.

Posted by tim | September 24, 2010 3:03 PM

Easy solution. move Fucked Up off that bill, and move everything up. Give the extra time all to Pavement.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:03 PM

I dream in beige, why'd you feed me so much hummus now?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:06 PM

Never understood the clamor to get set lists.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:13 PM

I like the Matador 21 time limits. Did people really think every band would get to play endlessly? It's like any other festival.

Be glad you're not hip-hop fans--that one fest gave everyone 10-minute slots.

I did LOL when I saw that Liz Phair only gets 20 minutes.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:14 PM

Wow, Spiral got fat. Almost as fat as Matthew Perpetua.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:15 PM

endless boogie rules

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:15 PM

I went on Tuesday, but left after Times New viking

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:28 PM

Agreed that they got tired and a tad sloppy at one point, but Spit on a Stranger through Stop Breathing was one of the most magical concert experiences I've ever had.

And to the folks who gave me whiskey and weed, I am much obliged. Hope you got out safe.

Sophomore. Peacock loves you.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:42 PM

Still waiting for Malkmus to dedicate Cut Your Hair to Kings of Leon

Posted by Edward | September 24, 2010 3:54 PM

Endless Monotony

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:56 PM

loved the sloppy. felt true to form. having not gone to any of the other shows, i left very happy and satisfied.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 4:22 PM

so how much should I expect to pay to grab a ticket off a scalper tonight?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 4:34 PM

$10

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 4:39 PM

Who are those fine looking ladies holding the set lists?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 5:31 PM

There's a promo going on through Ticketmaster for the Hollywood Bowl show. Ticket prices with the code are lowered to $20. Password is "Bowl."

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 6:00 PM

"Never understood the clamor to get set lists."

I agree. It's just a piece of paper with some writing. Not good enough to frame.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 6:04 PM

Regarding rock ephemera, it's a to each his or her own thing. I personally have no interest in, say, autographs, but a setlist from a band like Pavement would go, at the very least, on the fridge or desk at work.

Posted by cd | September 24, 2010 6:13 PM

is matt sweeney in endless boogie?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 6:20 PM

^^yup

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 6:39 PM

what i don't understand is those people sitting in front of the stage. eventually the place fills up, there's an opening act. and once you leave to pee, there's no way you can get back to your spot. so what's up with these people. do they pee their pants? diapers? are they aliens who don't pee? do they hold it? i need answers.

Posted by mark | September 24, 2010 6:45 PM

they don't?

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 7:07 PM

"Derek Smalls..he wrote this!!"

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 7:44 PM

I was up front Wednesday night. I didn't pee. I didn't have to pee. I didn't drink before or during the show (aside from a strawberry lemonade from the awesome papusas booth). My bladder works fine. I wanted to be up front, so I got there and stayed there.

Posted by Kurt C | September 24, 2010 8:12 PM

Sweeney is not in Endless Boogie.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 10:18 PM

Stephen Malkmus > Hummus > Weezer

Posted by YumYum | September 24, 2010 11:40 PM

Friday night was excellent. They brought out Bryce Goggin to play piano on "Range Life" to close things out. They also brought out "Heaven Is A Truck" one more time and ended it with a great jam.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 12:06 AM

Endless Boogie open for every Matador band. They're like the Matador house band.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 12:32 AM

I went to all Central Park Shows. I had bought tickets for the tuesday show a long time ago, but the rest of the week, i got for $20 off of people outside... The rain show was awesome because the band played like every song was going to be their last.
I had gotten there early enough for the first two shows, to be situated enough, so there wasn't a lot of drunken chatter and splatter.
The last two nights, especially Friday's show, was such a freaking pain in the ass, as far as dealing with a no attention span wasted crowd. Going from texting to facebook posting to tweeting to blurting out and screaming the two lines they knew of the song, back to smoking out and talking about talking about talking about... screaming and tweeting and blowing fucking smoke and just being as absorbed in their own little niches as possible. From the wasted morons from suburbia, to the college student entitlement idiots that just wouldn't shut up. Shut the fuck up.
I know you like this song more than anything... which is why you talked through it... screamed two words and tweeted, smoke suck down a beer, scream, talk some more..
There's no future. Bring back the drugs that make everyone shut the fuck up.

Posted by burden of time | September 25, 2010 12:47 AM

Crowd on Friday did suck (at least in the back of the main "pen")

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 2:03 AM

i was in the bleachers off to the side of the stage and thought the crowd was really good and into the show (and mostly quiet except for these three idiots in front of me that shut up once i loudly told my buddy how nice it was that people spend all that money to see this band on this special tour and decide to then talk through the whole show -- they quickly shut up).

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 2:21 AM

who is the girl in the striped shirt?

Posted by Melvin | September 25, 2010 10:46 AM

10:46, isn't that the chick from Best Coast if I'm not mistaken?

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 12:03 PM

Last night was THE BOMB. I went to all 4 new york shows. They killed last night. KILLED!

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 12:07 PM

Wednesday was the best of all the ny shows. If you werent there, youll never know how magical the night was for the band and the fans...

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 12:09 PM

"Not sure how bands like Endless Boogie and The Beets got picked to open. Anyone know the Pavement connection?"

Guy from Endless Boogie works for Matador and Ibold picked The Beets.

Posted by Anonymous | September 25, 2010 1:47 PM

The Beets didn't open Friday?

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2010 4:50 PM

Yes they did. Played one thirty-minute song. It was alright, I guess.

Posted by Anonymous | September 26, 2010 5:10 PM

I really loved that so many people around me on Friday night actually knew the lyrics - even people much younger than the typical Pavement fan - and not just the words from Crooked Rain. Pavement rocked - I saw them in Toronto too, which marginally beat out Friday's performance - but not by much. Two of the best concerts I've ever seen. So glad they decided to step out of the mothballs.

The Beets were awful.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2010 12:15 AM

way too late for anyone to read this or care, but i read in an interview that endless boogie is one of SM's favorite bands, and his favorite live band, hands down.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2010 1:09 PM

Anyone who doesn't get why Malkmus would dig Endless Boogie obviously doesn't get Pavement. Thin Lizzie? CCR? It's not just Swell Maps and The Fall. EB were cool, glad SM played with them to end the heckler spray.

Spiral - Thee Oh Sees - Cali garage punk (also that night's poster had a couple reading and Ikea catalogue in bed)
Nastanovich - TNV! Another lo-fi Matador band
SM - Endless Boogie Matador band that SM has reference in interviews
Ibold - The Beets from Queens

Duh.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2010 1:48 PM

I went to Pitchfork, Osheaga, all 5 NYC shows, and Virgin Freefest.

Only found out about them a year and a half ago and have been obsessed ever since. By far and away the nicest fan base I've ever seen. There were genuinely kind people abound every single night.

Posted by Anonymous | September 27, 2010 2:38 PM