Posted in music | tour dates on September 23, 2010

by BBG

David Tibet of Current 93

You can't call David Tibet a liar. He promised earlier this year that Current 93 would play Santos Party House in October which came after an earlier promise of March or April. Well, the band WILL play the NYC venue, but not until next year on March 11th and 12th as part of a seven date US tour. Ticketing info is forthcoming, though the Santos tickets will likely be on Ticketweb. The NYC dates are the only shows scheduled for the east coast. All dates, including four other major cities, are listed below.

C93 is currently working on TWO new albums, and need your help:

I am presently working, with C93 and our expanded lineups, on 'The Kingdom of Heaven is Within You', one of two new C93 albums. I desire greatly that all of those who have supported, nurtured and fed our work over the last 25 years are involved in creating what I consider to be my and C93's most intense and Hallucinatory release so far.

Consequently, I am asking anyone reading this website, who so desires, to send in an email with a sound recording of him or her saying the phrase 'The Kingdom of Heaven is Within You' in their own language.

Sound files MUST be either MP3s OR 16 bit AIFF or WAV files. No other file types or higher resolution files will be accepted. Files should be no longer than 8 seconds long.

Please do NOT write ANY text in the email in which you send the sound file, as we will not be answering any of these emails. Please put your name, and specify the language, in the subject heading of the email.
The email should be sent to kingdomofheaven93@gmail.com.

We will give two weeks' notice of when we will be stopping our acceptance of sound files.

For more on that project head, to the C93 site. All tour dates, and some videos are below.

Current 93 Live in Berlin

Tibet in NY!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2010 12:41 PM

FUCK.YES.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2010 3:03 PM

FUCK YEAH!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2010 3:25 PM

Love the 2011 schedule showing all 2010 dates.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2010 3:44 PM

Too bad he went the wrong direction and converted to Christianity. I guess senility comes with age.

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2010 4:03 PM

@3:44- fixed

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2010 9:21 PM

Several friends and I flew from San Diego to see them perform on Halloween in NYC in 1995, I think it was. A truly memorable experience.

Posted by agonist | September 23, 2010 11:35 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 23, 2010 4:03 PM

I completely agree but they are a group with substance and Current 93 has a diverse full discography. I figured he knew how absurd religions were being that Im sure he read biblical histories going back to Sumeria.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 3:23 AM

The wrong direction?!? Surely you jest. The last few C93 albums (Black Ships, Aleph & Baalstrom) have been amongst their very best since Dogs Blood Rising in the early 80's. David's exploratory spiritual direction has always been curious and varied but his current Christian stance is only being presented via an apocoplyptic doomsday vision that many bands wish they could muster. Puleeze...

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 4:09 AM

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 4:11 AM

he's a Gnostic Christian

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 5:10 AM

on the website david writes that he was fascinated with various religions since an early age. It may be more pronounced in his lyrics now but christian themes, imagery, scripture verses, have been in his music since the late 80's. On Cats Drunk on Copper he dedicates a song to the sacred heart of christ, (no irony or sarcasm). David is among many like myself who believe the end is coming soon, in our lifetimes. you can scoff now but every knee will bow to christ.

Posted by David is not wrong | September 24, 2010 9:48 AM

Anyone who knows David's digression can attest that he very firmly changed directions a decade or so ago. I've been following "England's Hidden Reverse" for over 20 years, and it's quite clear that David was formerly interested in paganism and Buddhism while rejecting Christianity - but now a firm follower of Christ.

Will have to dig it up, but I have an email from him (C93 list) where he comes forward and rejects his past beliefs as erroneous and acknowledges his new direction.

I used to respect his questioning of religion and interest in the occult; but now he's not much different (in belief) than the Christian masses.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 12:02 PM

Conversion [in essence] confirmed...

Pitchfork interview snippet (http://pitchfork.com/features/interviews/6426-current-93/):

Pitchfork: There's a moment on Black Ships-- "Christ made a dance/ Which turned into a trance." Did you convert to Christianity?

DT: Well, I was always interested in religion. My main interest was initially Christianity, but I was also interested in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Taoism because that's what I was growing up around [in Malaysia]. I used to spend a lot of time going to Hindu temples and Chinese temples, but from a very early age I was interested in the Bible and in New Testament apocrypha, and also in eschatological and apocalyptic writings. I studied Buddhism for a long time but, yeah, if people ask me what I am now, I'm Christian.

I was talking to a good friend of mine who's a professor of theology. She's Christian as well. I think she's on discussion groups and somebody said, "Wow, it's really strange some of the things Tibet says live, they sound really Christian." And I said to her, I don't understand that-- everything from Thunder Perfect Mind has been pretty overtly Christian to me. I mean sometimes the references are obscure, but nonetheless, they seem to be obviously Christian. And she said, "People think you're being ironic." They think I'm being ironic for 13 years? That would exhaust even the world’s greatest ironist.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 12:07 PM

Well Said 12:02.

He turned me on to Louis Wain's cat art work which is amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | September 24, 2010 7:44 PM

Part of Tibet's mystical allure is that one is never quite sure where he is at the moment in this journey n illusion. Christian yes, satanist?? at times ..buddhist..has been, I love the psychology too,..hindu...yes it all ties in...Coptic egypt, aware of an older story ..Muslim, we all have it going on in us to a certain degree,the allah, dig??..TPM oh yes, and much more, he is aware of a dream that is maybe more than just a dream, and perhaps he will share it, or not, as all shall be well, OR NOT!!! INBETWEEN ALL OF of these personnas AND beleifs, u will find an entity with an OLD, and I do mean O L D gentle( most of the time) soul called Tibet....the cat is so fucking far!!! Bottom line, I think he is a Christian, however r we not all as human beings and aware??? Do u not know ur Christ?? IF NOT seek out the SON OF MAN! no joke... DO NOT MISS THE SHOW!

Posted by jimitits | October 7, 2010 11:33 AM

Let's hope he will do "Jesus Wept" that will help u see the light if God or the feel the fear of not ever seeing it n being left to rot in darkness!!
Tibet is more tripped out now than Dogs Blood n stilll asking @what is all this love for, if we have to go out in he dark,alalala lalalala laaaa" yummy Imperium Imperial Imperious the birth of a child appears!!! Wow!!!
The sadness to come shall dissolve
the nature of the sky is joy..,,
take me to my dead Christ! Carry me from shore to shore!
Really one of the interesting g briallant minds on earth at moment!

Posted by Jimitits | October 8, 2010 9:36 PM