Posted in metal | music on September 8, 2010

by BBG

"Sunn O))) broke the Brooklyn Masonic Temple". -juddgreenstein

"power problem sideswipes #sunn #Boris #altar show. Band breaks character, lifts hoods and asks audience 10 mins to straighten out" -Robert Chow

"Power outage@ Brooklyn masonic temple: praying to the doom metal gods: let sunn o))) & Boris finish" -thejass

"Sunn 0))) blew the power to the Masonic temple. Everyone's running around trying to fix it. Having punk rock show flashbacks". -americab

"All the mobile device tweet power in here should be
routed into the amps #altar" -Toby Driver

The massive sunn O)))/Boris rig at ATP NY 2 nights earlier (more here)
sunn boris

After sets from Jesse Sykes & The Sweet Hereafter and BXI, two songs into last night's (9/7) sunn O)))/Boris set at Brooklyn Masonic Temple, the power blew. With the heat sweltering inside the venue and the Brooklyn Masonic staff scrambling to fix the issue, a number of people from the audience decided to hit the road. The venue later fixed the issue, and sunn O)))/Boris played in complete darkness to conserve power. Reportedly the police then showed due to noise complaints, but according to one attendant, "Saw the cops, but can you shut down a show that's already over? Or did someone give Sunn and co. the signal to stop? Either way I don't think anyone noticed. Shit was excellent." Stay tuned for more info.

UPDATE:
The noise did get the police there, but they didn't shut it down.

Hopefully the power won't buckle tonight at Sleep at BMT (all went well Monday night) (and by the way, tickets will be released at the door) or at the sunn O)))-curated Roadburn 2011 with the newly added Pentagram and Swans. Swans will also play Masonic Temple on October 8th, tickets are still on sale. Their Bowery Show the next night is sold out.

BXI sat down with someone for a video interview 2 days ago (right after ATP). In it, the interviewer says that people called the last sunn O))) show at Masonic Temple, "the loudest they ever heard". You can watch that below...

BXI (Boris & Ian Astbury) - NYC Press Interview 9-6-10 (Southern Lord)

Either way I don't think anyone noticed. Shit was excellent.

Posted by butt | September 8, 2010 10:12 AM

i had to leave at around 10 to 1 to catch a bus and saw a bunch of cops all over the place. when exactly did they shut it down?

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:13 AM

Hilarious. I was curious about the police presence at the end of the night. So much for being the loudest room in NY

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:14 AM

last night was a complete disaster. on one hand listening to sunn o))) in a dark, sweltering room seems to make sense but all in all it was like a high school keg party. and the staff there were complete animals. horrible...

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:16 AM

Was so bummed I had to leave before they finished. Really hope they get this sorted out before Sleep tonight.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:16 AM

Theory: cops "shutting down" the show is just blog drama

Posted by butt | September 8, 2010 10:17 AM

I agree with @ 10:17

*theory* maybe calling police is what a venue must due once they report major electrical problems...just to be on the safe side in case of an accelerated incident

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:20 AM

It did seem like the show was over when the "cops shut it down."

Noise complaints? Last year sunn o))) played until after 2am on a Wednesday night...

Posted by venison | September 8, 2010 10:21 AM

I wish SunnO))) would break a PA in TEXAS

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:29 AM

So how long did Sunn o))) play for???

20 minutes?

Posted by ANonymous | September 8, 2010 10:30 AM

Ian Astbury, lol.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:30 AM

BXI were pretty good, but I'd rather just have Boris

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:34 AM

really unfortunate that the power problems totally killed the mood, but they still sounded great

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:35 AM

post updated to reflect the vague details about the end of the show. We'll update when we get the official word.

Posted by brooklynvegan | September 8, 2010 10:37 AM

10:30

If I recall correctly, they played for about 75 minutes total, plus about 30 minutes of "fixing" time.

Posted by venison | September 8, 2010 10:38 AM

Where are all the ATP naysayers now?

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:40 AM

here's some video from the ATP Altar set.
the last 14 minutes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm67oWuK3QM
w/ Jesse Sykes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y66x-vsii4

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:46 AM

Just another reason you should've been at ATP...lol.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:51 AM

Albini seemed amused about Ian Astbury last night during one of the Q&A sessions. Shellac killed it. No power problems at Bell House.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 10:52 AM

Tough, sweltering night...who is in charge of the douche bags working the door? That's some of the worst behavior I've seen in a while.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:04 AM

11:04 - Worst behavior from the staff?? I wasn't there, what happened?

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:09 AM

the power outage kind killed their momentum, but after they fixed the problem, they played really fucking good. BXI was cool but didn't play enough....

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:09 AM

11:09 - It was not a cheap show...and the crowd was really patient, but the guys at the door were going out of their way to be complete pricks. It must have been 100 degrees in the venue...when people stepped outside for some fresh air and were told "no re-entry"...after they barely cleared the door, they wouldn't let anyone back in and really got in people's faces when they asked why. The Masonic Temple is a great place to see shows, but they really should re-consider their hired guns.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:27 AM

this shit was epic at ATP

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:33 AM

ATP naysayers just got owned....ATP soundsystem is amazing and there were no problems at all. also wasn't 100 degrees. was actually a little chilly in there at times. ATP ruled.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:34 AM

No re-entry? What are you talking about? Nearly everyone at the show must have gone in and out of the front door at least half a dozen times, especially during the power issues with Sunn's set. The thing where they had guys checking wristbands at two different points, at the front door and inside the vestibule, seemed kinda silly and redundant and probably slowed things down more than they needed to be slowed down, but every venue I've ever been to over 20+ years of going to shows does at least one kinda dumb thing.

On the sliding scale of venue injustice, last night's grievances were pretty minor, and I thought for the most part everyone handled a frustrating set of circumstances pretty well. Sunn ended up playing for well more than an hour in total, the band were totally graceful about the technical challenges, and the sound people worked hard in hot, dark surroundings to wring out as much music as possible.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:36 AM

A SKEW ME?!?!? DO I BE STUTTERIN’? I BE SAYIN’ WE NO G’WIN BE LET ANY MO YOU IN DA PLACE IS TOO HOT N ALL DEES MUTHAFUCKAZ NO BE UNNASTAN WHAT I SAY?!?!?! SHEEEEEEIIT….

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:38 AM

hahaha "WHY WOULD I GO TO ATP THESE BANDS PLAY NEW YORK ALL THE TIME WAHHHH"

hope you enjoyed your shitshow, cheapskates

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:40 AM

It wasn't really a shitshow. The problems ruined the mood and it kinda sucked that they had to play with no lights or fog afterward, but they still played excellently

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:47 AM

after the power problem, the show was amazing... they came back with a vengence and made up for lost time... my only problem was that all the shirts were gone, unless you wanted a woman's large... posters gone too... i guess all the high rollers in the borscht belt bought it all...

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 11:51 AM

Was I really high, or did they switch around the order of the songs a bit?

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 12:49 PM

THE COPS DID SHUT DOWN THIS SHOW. ADAM SHORE IS LYING SO THEY DON'T HAVE TO GIVE REFUNDS.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 1:33 PM

#1:33... ummm, then why is everyone who went saying the opposite?

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 1:43 PM

i wonder if the promoter or the venue is to blame for things went down last night. sunn plays all the time and i'm sure that they have in the ryder/agreement a very clear outline of what they require. the masonic temple is such a rickety old space that it was no surprise that it couldn't handle that load (pun intended)

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 1:53 PM

Boris is cool, but that Sunn crap is more like Yawnnn))))).
Also Ian Astbury?!? What is this, 1989?

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 2:11 PM

@2:11: Whatever the opposite of zing is, you got that.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 2:29 PM

SPOON BACK ONSALE

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 2:40 PM

show was amazing. atp naysayers are not slammed in any way because they didnt spend 130 dollars and drive 2 hours and they got the entire set with hiccups and awesome openers.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 2:45 PM

Sunn O))) and Boris rock!!!
But last night's show was a big downer, or maybe it was just a jinxed gig. The power problems (you could actually tell, something like that was going to happen: everyone was running around confused even before the show started, one guy stumbled over some cables and then nervously tried to plug them back where they belong, another one was histerically looking for something behind the drums, yet another one was repeatedly checking out something behind the amps and it didn't look like that was part of the soundcheck...) not only totally ruined the mood, to me it seemed like it drained energy from the set, the bands and the audience. And wasn't there something during the BXI show? They interrupted their set as well, didn't they?
Although shit like that can happen to anyone, I can't believe it took them almost an hour to fix the problem. I totally agree with 1:53.
I admit that they came back and played alright, but I've seen Sunn O))) several times before, and I have to say, last night their true power was simply missing. And loud? Sorry, no, it wasn't.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 2:58 PM

Somebody probably spilled hummus on some wires.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 3:37 PM

Yeah, power went out for a little bit for BXI during their last song. Ian said that was the 3rd time today

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 3:54 PM

I'm not really familiar with the album, but it sure seemed to me like the show got cut short even after they resumed...it ended with one of the guys from sunn o))), off mic, saying "I guess that's it," and I noticed all the lights on the amps were out again - maybe it didn't get shut down by the cops, but if not I think they lost power again...something was definitely up with the way the show ended.

Having seen the performance at ATP and then again last night, there's simply no comparison...

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:01 PM

(previous post continued...)

The ATP set was maybe in the top 5 of the 1,000+ shows I've seen in my life - as an experience of sculpting pure sound it had no equal...like they took my bloody valentine to places they never even could have imagined. By comparison last night's pa sounded like a pair of iPod earbuds, seriously...most of what made the ATP set so amazing was lacking. Anyone who saw both would back me up...I'm glad (some) people managed to enjoy the Brooklyn

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:05 PM

...performance anyway - it's such a special set of music that of course some of its brilliance came across - but you can't even imagine what the fuck went down in Monticello. (or, at least, if you've ever seen a sunn o))) gig that actually came off you can start to, including the one at the Masonic temple last year - a sunn o))) show without fog simply isn't a sunn o))) show, and a sunn o))) show that gets its carefully-constructed mood broken in the middle by Mickey mouse production problems definitely isn't a sunn o))) show.)

I've always enjoyed seeing shows at the Masonic temple, and will continue to go there, but last night was an epic fail on somebody's part, and if I were the band I'd be livid. As others have said, +1 for ATP...

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:09 PM

...I'd be livid too about it if I hadn't seen the ATP performance as well.

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:14 PM

Also (same guy who keeps posting, sorry), the ATP set ended with the Boris drummer getting to do his usual showman shtick, but in a sort of slowed-down and sunn o)))ified way...it seemed like it was an intentionally conceived part of the show, and the fact that it happened last night makes me think that they didn't get to finish the performance as they'd liked to have - that either the power ran out, the cops shut it down, or there was a 1am hard curfew and they had to stop.

Also, as we were leaving

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:18 PM

, the cops were in the hallway and the security wouldn't even let people downstairs to use the bathrooms...the show was definitely OVER, be it for reasons related to the cops or the promoters, but that blackened music guy is definitely omitting some facts here...

(sorry this all came out all mangled - followed a link from within facebook here and had to post this all from a phone within the facebook app's shitty browser.)

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:21 PM

Final thought - so glad I went to see shellac last night rather than putting all my eggs in the altar basket...we still caught the rest of the show after they went back on, and if I had skipped the first NYC shellac show in 5 years for something that was that fucked up I'd be kicking myself forever...

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:24 PM

The way ATP attendees obsessively defend their decision to go really says something.

Posted by butt | September 8, 2010 4:37 PM

"first NYC shellac show in 5 years"

Last show was 4 years ago. :)

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:45 PM

Yeah, it's not like I gave a whole bunch of reasons why the performance up there was better than the one here...I'm just feeling insecure about my decision to spend $400 to spend a weekend in rock&roll heaven and lashing out defensively...

Seriously, troll, the reason why we all hype it up so much is that it's THAT AMAZING. Go for yourself sometime & see...

Posted by Anonymous | September 8, 2010 4:50 PM

Lovely writing piece! I had never had such a influencing written material. Really appreciate able. Thanks

Posted by Electrician Chelmsford | April 24, 2013 3:40 AM