Posted in comedy on September 29, 2010

by Klaus Kinski

Greg Giraldo

Even though I'm an active member, I find Twitter to be a mind-numbing nuisance on about 97 different levels. For example, from where I'm standing, it looks like a veritable batting practice for your funny and unfunny friends to workshop really lame observations and supremely terrible Seinfeldian puns. Few things are sadder than seeing one of your "in reality" soft spoken, non-jokey mates attempt humor in blurb-speak. Also, if something epic (good or bad) happens, you are faced with the irritating mind-fuck that is seeing hundreds of peoples' 140 character takes (many of which are identical) on said epic event. Therefore, no sane human being should be exposed to that site for more than 5 minutes at a time, 10 times a day, max.

What's my point? Well, I don't know. But what I do know is that Twitter is sometimes the best place to get really, really bad news; you cannot help but be succinct and straight to the goddamned point. Which is exactly what happened this afternoon when I saw Patton Oswalt's tweet, "Really, Universe? Greg Giraldo? Fuck off." I didn't want to believe what those 6 words were implying, but a trip to Dead Frog and google quickly brought my worst fears to reality. Roast Master, gut-bustingly hilarious, and supremely great guy Greg Giraldo passed away this morning after overdosing on prescription drugs just a few days ago. I honestly don't know (or care) how Giraldo was regarded by the so-called alternative comedy community, but, personally, I thought he was one of the best out there. Greg was an absolute pro who at turns could kill me with a pretty banal joke and then a second later kill me again with some seriously disgusting blue material. He wasn't just some comedian who frequented the Comedy Central Roasts... he was one of the guys on the panel whose presence was not only a given, but was also an eagerly awaited highlight. And he was smart as a whip. His comedy speaks for itself, but I think few people realize that he began his career as a lawyer, graduating from Columbia University and Harvard Law School. He was also a native New Yorker and the father of three boys. Nobody saw this coming. I simply cannot get my head around the fact that he's gone.

Giraldo was also a Tweeter/Twitterer. He only squeezed out 29 tweets and had about 6000 followers. Yet, one of those tweets from less than a month ago resonates more than ever now.

Very sad about comedy great Robert Schimmel. We lost a brilliant brave and original comedian and one of the most decent guys I've ever met. -- Greg Giraldo, 9/4/2010
Condolences can be left on his Facebook wall

that really sucks. tragic, just tragic.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2010 11:56 PM

jesus, that blows

Posted by skjskd | September 30, 2010 12:12 AM

seriously I've seen "He's roasting God now" (or Jesus). It's like shut the hell up.

RIP

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 12:14 AM

Yeah, fuck. I actually thought he was going to make it. Schimmel dies, Hitchens has cancer, and now GG clocks out. Ugh...

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 12:34 AM

all the best eulogies begin with a 250 word missive about you and twitter and your unfunny friends

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 12:47 AM

Genuinely super bummed (sideways frown face).

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 12:49 AM

Everyone go YouTube when he destroyed Denis Leary on Tough Crowd. Leary goes on a tirade about how we should invade Iraq, "They have guns pointed at us!" blah blah fucking blah while Giraldo just patiently waits and then drops like five atomic joke bombs on him. RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:07 AM

Yes, I want to take political cues from a guy who ODed on prescription drugs...that's a guy with his head on straight....

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:35 AM

Very sad about Greg. RIP. Fuck 1:07 and 1:35 for turning even news about someone's passing into political bullshit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:52 AM

Obviously it's never a good thing when anyone dies, but I don't think he's someone who deserves an especially large amount of grief. He probably did it to himself. Now when a child dies accidentally, or someone defending the country dies in battle, or someone dies of disease...I'll shed a tear. But while this is certainly not good news, I'd hardly say it's tragic for anyone other than his family.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:55 AM

@1:55 and who asked you?

RIP.GG

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:57 AM

awful, rest in peace greg

Posted by Slob | September 30, 2010 2:19 AM

Rip.

I think he boned that chick Maria Leggarro.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 3:06 AM

1:52, 1:35 was talking about comedic skill - you're the asshole injecting politics.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 4:31 AM

1:55, hope you die-def wouldnt be tragic for anyone u fukken assclown, GG was the man and one of the top 5 comedians around, RIP brotha

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 7:46 AM

Saw Greg do stand-up a few years back in Boston -- a genuinely funny man in a world filled with bad comedians. RIP Greg.

Posted by gutterdandy | September 30, 2010 7:46 AM

1:55, STICK IT UP YOUR ASS, MOTHERFUCKER.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 7:48 AM

anon 1:35-Yes, I want to take political cues from a colombia/harvard law grad-go fuk urself u fukken dooshbag. RIP Greg

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 7:58 AM

Very funny guy. Very sad news.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 8:38 AM

All times PM to AM. lets all just live in harmony thats how Gregory would have wanted it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 8:39 AM

FACT - Giraldo is no idiot, he graduated from Harverd Law

FACT - He is a recovering addict who never dabbled in illicit substances anymore

FACT - Giraldo had not been feeling well on Friday night and left the comedy club.

GG's death related to prescription meds seems accidental. He is survived by 3 children and had so much to live for.

Accidental or intentional, please show some respect!

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 9:27 AM

1:55 is exactly right. does anyone posting here give a shit about Princess Di or Biggie or Tupac or M. Jackson? same thing.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 9:39 AM

9:39 -- I didn't know Greg but have seen him live and talked to him afterwards and he was a great guy. Not exactly the same as Princess Di, is it? And yes, I "give a shit" that Greg is dead. What is wrong with some of you people?

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 9:54 AM

9:39 - Worst analogy EVER!!! You truly are a dumb person who can't make a valid point.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 10:00 AM

not denying he was a great guy. i just think the fan/celebrity/hero-worship thing is often a warped/ misguided emotional bond. fans are sorry that he's not going to entertain them anymore- are they really more sorry for his wife and kids? don't think so.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 10:02 AM

Bottom line - life is fleeting, death is sad, don't be a d!ck

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 10:06 AM

bummer. RIP dude.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 10:22 AM

R.I.P Greg.... I will eat some hummus in your honor

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 10:42 AM

9:27 spelled Harvard wrong. That is funny.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 10:49 AM

10:00 am "You truly are a dumb person who can't make a valid point."

ditto.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 11:00 AM

10:02, empathy. I guess dbags like yourself are incapable of it

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 11:03 AM

What a fucking loss. Definitely much more so than if one of these backward bleeding hearts here commenting croaked. Super talented/funny/smart guy. RIP.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 11:20 AM

10:02 -- who are you to ascribe motivations to people YOU don't know?

Aren't you being a hypocrite?

Don't tell me who I can grieve for and who I can't please.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 11:43 AM

These dickbrain commenters are cold because they somehow believe their life is more important than everyone else's. Yet, if they were to vanish, nobody would even notice.

For profaning Greg's memory with your selfish, base, snide, and dismissive comments... Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you.

Posted by JB | September 30, 2010 11:52 AM

you retards prove my point. most, not all of you, prob never had an original thought in your life. fans, most of them, are fanatics like
m jackson retards --no one can criticize their "hero". blasphemous.

did you say selfish? he abused drugs and left behind a wife and kids? I wish I could be that smart.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 12:18 PM

^^ "fans, most of them, are fanatics" may be the dumbest thing ive heard all week, and i work with "retards"

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 12:23 PM

Wow. I didn't know much about Greg...saw him on the Marriage Ref, and then about 5 or 6 Celebrity Roasts during a marathon. He was far and away my favorite part each time. I could care less about what he did in his personal life...the man was obviously talented.

Posted by Mark H | September 30, 2010 12:24 PM

Life was easier before there was the Internet to constantly remind one how shitty most human beings are. Bunch of moralizing, holier-than-thou, unempathetic scumbags.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:12 PM

Gee, Greg drank and took drugs. No-one had ever done that before. Guess we'd better kick him now that he's dead, right?

Sickening motherfuckers.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:14 PM

Cheers to @10:06 who's the only one on here who gets it.

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 1:30 PM

Worst comment board ever>

Posted by Anonymous | September 30, 2010 7:05 PM

Its OK to analyze different perspectives on celebrity so to speak but be kind assholes.

Have some respect and empathy especially since he was a good guy and not some self absorbed idiot like some of the "musicians" on here.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2010 5:19 AM

Once again- BV- PLEASE disable comments for death announcement posts.

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2010 12:02 PM

He was a great comedian. Even if we haven't known him in person, we can still feel sad about his death, right? He was a great comedian. And anyone who says: "He was just a comedian, they die, I don't care" well, this is the place to say you DO care. So please, fuck off. If you die, not many people will care, this guy was known by a lot of people, and they come here to pay their last respects. Let them.

R.I.P. Greg, you were great

Posted by Anonymous | October 4, 2010 2:56 PM

I don't know why BV doesn't disable comments on RIP posts. Maybe it's because if there's further info (ie, memorial service info., fund set-up, stuff like that) this is an easy spot to post them. But it's honestly not worth it having it enabled.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 1:11 PM