Posted in music | pictures on September 28, 2010

photos by kolored

MIA

DJ Asma took the stage for a couple of joints before bringing out a makeup-less M.I.A., dressed in a green safari hat and a black Middle Eastern getup straight out of the first "Mummy" movie, for /\/\/\Y/\ opener "The Message."

From there the British singer/rapper launched into gems from her first two albums, Kala and Arular, with the crowd leaping on top of itself for "Galang" and bass-heavy "Bamboo Banga."

She then removed her black top to reveal a T-shirt that said, "F--- Google. Ask Me!"

Although there were some sound issues in the beginning of the set -- at one point, M.I.A. took it upon herself to turn the speakers on the stage to face the audience -- the crowd didn't seem perturbed in the least.

As she strode in to hit "Boyz," M.I.A. stripped down to what would be her outfit for the remainder of the night: a white satin top with matching boy shorts. Chanting "Oy, oy!" and "New York!" the crowd met her with equal fervor for new album joints, "Lovalot" and "Story to Be Told," which had her switching between a sort of Bharatanatyam snake dance and a writhing punk twist.

For "Born Free," M.I.A. launched herself into the crowd and surfed above her fans. After throwing her mic to the audience so they could join in, they threw it back. "There's a dent in this!" she noted. "See, this is what YOU can do!"

A mesmerizing feature of the show was the kinetic movement of dancers Cisko and the awesome White Boi, who were both at M.I.A.'s side throughout the show.

She returned for her encore swigging from a bottle of Patron before singing "Teqkilla" and received an electric reception for her blowout finale, "Paper Planes," which saw her entire entourage and a few audience members joining her onstage. [mauldin brand agency]

After a late, but not too late, start, Rye Rye kicked things off at Terminal 5 lat night (9/27). Her opening set was complete by 10pm, giving M.I.A. plenty of time to play without even ending later than normal. If you missed it, M.I.A. will be back later in her tour for a free show at Brooklyn Bowl.

More pictures from Terminal 5, that prove must of what is described in the review above, below...

Rye Rye

Rye Rye

Rye Rye

Rye Rye

Rye Rye

Rye Rye

Rye Rye

MIA

"There's a dent in this!" she noted. "See, this is what YOU can do!"

The power of truffle fries is unstoppable.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:01 AM

Truffle fries taste great with hummus!

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:03 AM

Truffle fries coming back with powa powa

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:04 AM

so hot. so talentless

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:06 AM

That looks and sounds epic. Can't w8 for Brooklyn bowl.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:07 AM

"Let them eat truffle fries."
- M.I.A., on the topic of Sudanese refugees

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:11 AM

Ew she's barefoot on stage. Gross

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:13 AM

i was at the show and granted i spent most of my time on the top level, but found the show pretty dissappointing. the sound was not great (this is the first time i've experienced bad sound at T5) but the worst part was that it seemed like MIA was not into at all; i feel like she only sang half of her lines.

Posted by jkristian | September 28, 2010 11:25 AM

she is by far and away one of the most obnoxious people in the scene today. imo.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:28 AM

@11:25 I don't know what shows you've been to, but the sound at t5 always sucks. why do you think t5 is the most hated venue in nyc?

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:31 AM

F**k MIA- complete shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:32 AM

T5 sound = shit. Seconded

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:42 AM

T5 sightlines = shit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:44 AM

that sucks it was cancelled.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:46 AM

T5 = truffle fries

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:47 AM

Where are the picture of the Hummus Mehs???

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 11:52 AM

Who is this Maudlin Brand Agency? Do they represent MIA in some way? Is that a review of the show or a press release?

Posted by Scott | September 28, 2010 12:07 PM

Edit: Mauldin Brand Agency.
Though Maudlin would be much funnier.

Posted by Scott | September 28, 2010 12:09 PM

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:10 PM

Overhyped. Overrated. Over.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:12 PM

It's really cute how you guys all dress like it's the 80s

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:13 PM

12:10

Just like how it was cool to be pro-MIA a year ago? Those fickle bitches back then need to stop being sheep and start disliking her back then!!! And start liking her now!!!!! Everyone stop being sheep and do what's anti-popular!!!!! Just for the sake of being anti-popular!!!!!! Woooooooooooo!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:16 PM

any info on refunds?

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:21 PM

I hope she gets eaten by a tamil tiger

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:24 PM

"You guys sound like such fickle bitches. The show was actually pretty amazing. It's just cool to be anti-MIA right now, sheeps."

cosign.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:35 PM

so many people dont like her, but they surely seem to enjoy riding her CLIT. i mean really, whats the point?

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:38 PM

Haha... I can see me in the crowd surfing area and on stage.

Posted by Mohawk Kellye | September 28, 2010 12:51 PM

was this show free?

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 12:51 PM

she's clearly a deep thinker.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 1:40 PM

She's also clearly hummus deficient.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 1:53 PM

fuck em, i still love ya

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 1:53 PM

@12:38

I can't stand her but I would certainly ride her clit.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 1:57 PM

Google Search: Why is M.I.A. such a cunt?

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 2:10 PM

Lamest person ever.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 2:59 PM

That guy White Boi never should have cut his hair.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 3:02 PM

Anyone who is whining about the "haters" didn't see the same show I did last night. I'd been behind her even when she said some questionable shit in the press, because whatever, I love her music. I've been a fan for seven years, and her show in Worcester in 2007 was one of the best of my life.

But when you wait 90 minutes in the rain to then be assaulted by a 45 MINUTE SET of off-key, half-assed singing, aborted attempts at starting/finishing/executing songs, drunken staggering, and the least effort I've EVER seen go into a performance, all the while being out $80, you start to see things differently. It was completely appalling, and as a genuine fan who gives a shit about her music, I'm at a total loss.

Posted by Kyla | September 28, 2010 3:02 PM

she sucks and i'm gonna hate. haters gonna hate. she is annoying. i abhor her, because she is obnoxious. just play your fucking music mia and hide in your mansion. stop "calling" people out because they dont agree with you, that's life. get over it. millions of people are killed in war. war is inevitable, shut up. there is nothing a spoiled singer can do to stop war. NOTHING. love your fans and family, but just shut the fuck up. you're not ghetto, nor ever was. you're not jewish and you weren't in a concentration camp, you never lived in the ghetto. you might of lived in a impoverish area, but not a ghetto. you never hung out with tupac either. you're voice isn't good either and it's your producers who make your shit legit, your last album was shit. you have no talent. you just wear zany outfits. i rather listen to lady gaga because lady gaga writes her music and lyrics and has talent. you're a hack m.i.a.
my pathetic vent is complete. booooyaaa

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 3:22 PM

This was AN AMAZING TIME...
if you werent on the bottom level and like in sight of M.I.A. then there could be reasons you didn't have as much fun...

she CONNECTS with the audience, makes eyecontct, talks to them and everything....SHE PUTS ON AN AMAZING SSHOW.

killed it! sounded great and got real personal!

the people being negative probably never seen her and probably DONT understand her message. so... their loss... AND M.I.A. DOES write all her own music
and to 3:22...really lady gaga...she writes songs about shit... MIA's songs HAVE MEANINGS,,not just ridiculous love shit

Posted by MIAAAA | September 28, 2010 4:29 PM

yo this was a great set i dont know why people are complaining...they probably don't get it

Posted by matttt | September 28, 2010 4:30 PM

You have to love when people pull out the if you complain you don't get it bullshit. Because she is a deep thinker and all of her music has meaning that no one will ever understand except for a select few.

Would you care to explain the intricacies of her music and live shows? Of course not, you couldn't because there is nothing there. You guys are as bad as Lady Gaga fans. Stop trying to intellectualize this garbage. Her live shows bite, disgusting attitude, she blames everyone else for her problems, she's rich and can't come to terms with it, she's perpetually in high school. Hopefully her next retirement is a real one.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 4:42 PM

i really hope MIA checks brooklynvegan

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 5:16 PM

It looks like they won't let me post links to the reviews I mentioned, so just google them, they're there.

"The people being negative probably never seen her and probably DONT understand her message." Yeahhhh, I'd seen her twice before, the second time at Mount Holyoke in 2008 where she was pretty sick, and she still turned it out. And if her "message" is being a fool, then I totally get it now.

I've been reading reviews since last night (I wish I hadn't trusted it would be awesome based on past experience and read them BEFORE I bought the tickets), and this isn't an isolated event. People were furious at her for her Hard NYC show this July, she was erratic and drunk at the Virgin Mobile FreeFest in MD last Saturday, and she garnered a lukewarm review for her Philly show on Sunday. If you actually pay attention to the way fans are reacting, that should tell you something.

I was angry last night thinking maybe we'd caught the one show where she had a meltdown. Now I'm angry because if I hadn't just trusted her to put on a great show and read ANYTHING about the shit she's been pulling lately, I could have saved myself the disappointment.

Posted by Kyla | September 28, 2010 5:19 PM

I also have a MAJOR complaint about last nights show. I am friends with one of her stylists and was granted to go backstage. And the things I witnessed were appalling. So here is the scene... A bunch of chairs strewn about around a small table and some Indian music playing in the background. On the table was a medium sized bowl of hummus and a few corn chips and baby carrots. MIA walked up to the hummus and dipped her pointer finger in it and licked it off, then repeated the action a few times. It was absolutely disgusting and ruined dinner for many of her entourage.

Posted by Anonymous | September 28, 2010 6:37 PM

Actually (this is not the same person who posted about this originally) I KNOW FOR A FACT she doesn't "write" her own "music", because I know one of the producers that works with her. She doesn't do shit but write half-assed, hackish "political" lyrics. She's one of the biggest fakes in recent memory, and she's even starting to slip in the manipulating her demographic area, too.

Posted by yeah | September 28, 2010 10:35 PM

Totally bang-able.

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2010 2:07 PM

totally

Posted by Anonymous | September 29, 2010 8:51 PM

I saw her at the hard nyc and was a little dissapointed but still thought she was kind of cool.....
gave her another chance and this was the best show i have ever been to!

Posted by meghan | October 1, 2010 7:32 PM

WOW! This was such a good show

Posted by miacominbaq | October 1, 2010 7:33 PM

People are bashin on her for having money.....
its not her fault?!

HAHA
she never did anything just for money guys....
she never sold her songs to any companys (cocacola DIED for galang..so did honda and she wouldnt do it)
SHE hosted a documentary on mtv about foreign countries...with the money she built a school.

just because her fiance is a son of a billionaire doesn't mean anything...
its love, so grow up guys

Posted by $$? | October 1, 2010 7:35 PM

my friends had an extra ticket and i had money to spend....
so i went with at last minute
I haven't heard really more songs than paper planes born free and galang.. oh wait ive heard a few but not that i ever remember...
BUT
anyway I got here when rye rye was opening and MAN did she WORK THE CROWD! she got everryone goin and for 19 she can really do good
then mia came out and i gotta say that was pretty impressive! one of the best shows ive seen...
dont know why people are hatin

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2010 7:56 PM

AT LEAST MIA doesnt sell her body...
shes an amazing artist that doesnt have to be naked to make money.

Posted by Anonymous | October 1, 2010 8:02 PM

8:O2... now she's great for the simple reason that she's not a prostitute??? wtf

Posted by Anonymous | October 2, 2010 4:27 AM

good show!! had a lot of fun the songs she played were great!

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2010 1:05 PM

@4:27 i think 8:02 was trying to say that unlike a lot of the big artists now (ie lady gaga,katy perry etc) mia doesnt have to have those outfits and revealing image... she works with the art she has and doesn't use sex appeal..which is hard to find and I agree

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2010 1:06 PM

best show of my life

Posted by Anonymous | October 3, 2010 4:52 PM

Anyone who thinks an M.I.A. 'concert' is amazing probably hasn't experienced too many truly amazing things in life

Posted by Jose | October 5, 2010 1:44 AM

If she married a rich guy then she becomes rich you smug douche, that's how it works. Get over it, you like a rich talentless tone deaf ego driven child.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 1:23 PM

They lie and circle the waggons around the miscreants, corrupting the process that is supposed to serve the people. Democracy is no longer transparent and political arrogance trumps truth and justice.

Posted by Jordan Jovanovic | April 27, 2012 2:43 AM