Posted in music | pictures on September 13, 2010

photos by Andrew St. Clair

Robert Plant

"The doors opened at 7:30 and Robert Plant and the Band of Joy hit the stage just after 9 pm. I stood front row, center stage (my usual spot), but tonight this spot was extra magical. I was inches from where Robert Plant's lyric book was and for the entire show, I was less than 2 feet away from him. During the concert, my brain would suddenly shout out - "you are close enough to reach out and touch the lead singer of Led Zeppelin, a band whose music has shaped your life." Needless to say, I broke into tears many times during the night." [According to G]
While many were watching a mildly-amusing and vodka-soaked host introduce a woman in a meatsuit, Robert Plant and fans squeezed their way into Bowery Ballroom last night (9/12) for a rare appearance at the venue in preparation for Band of Joy, the legendary frontman's latest solo LP (he spent the last few years dabbling in country rhythms with Alison Krauss). Band of Joy is not just Robert Plant's latest post-Zep LP/moniker, but a calling card to his olden days with Bonzo; before joining Jimmy Page & John Paul Jones in Led Zeppelin, Plant and John Bonham served in a psychedelic folk band called Band of Joy.

Robert Plant's band included vocalist Patty Griffin, guitarist Buddy Miller, multi-instrumentalist and vocalist Daryl Scott, bassist-vocalist Byron House, and drummer-percussionist-vocalist Marco Giovino.

"The Band of Joy played songs from their self-titled album, 2 of my favorite tracks off "Raising Sand," Plant's Grammy winning album with Alison Krauss, ("Please Read the Letter" and "Rich Woman,") and they also reinterpreted 4 Led Zeppelin songs ("Misty Mountain Hop," "Houses of the Holy," "Gallows Pole," and "Rock and Roll.")" [According to G]
The whole setlist, with more pictures and some videos (including two of the reworked Zep classics), below...

Robert Plant

Robert Plant & The Band of Joy Patty Griffin "Rich Woman" Bowery Ballroom NYC 09-12-10

Robert Plant & The Band of Joy "Houses of the Holy" Bowery Ballroom NYC 09-12-10

Robert Plant & The Band of Joy "Rock and Roll" Bowery Ballroom NYC 09-12-10

Robert Plant & The Band of Joy "12 Gates to The City" Bowery Ballroom NYC 09-12-10

ROBERT PLANT SETLIST (via)
Monkey
-------------------
Harms Swift Way
Rock and Roll
Goodnight

Loved her in Cremaster 2

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 11:55 AM

Plant's such a legend. He looks great.

Posted by John Oatess | September 13, 2010 11:58 AM

NEVER going back to Bowery Ballroom again. That place is a FAIL. They packed so many people onto the floor it was impossible for me to enjoy the show. I have never seen a venue try and pack that many people into an area. The left side of the floor area was roped off for monitor / sound equipment... So not only was it overpacked, but the left side of the floor was unuseable for people to stand. Robert Plant was great, but my experience was miserable. They never should have allowed that many people into the floor area. It was a fire hazard / claustrophobic nightmare.

Posted by anon | September 13, 2010 12:03 PM

sucks because usually bowery is pretty open even for sold out shows. obviously they probably crammed more media/press into this show than usual.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 12:08 PM

you got to see plant at bowery, stop whining

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 12:10 PM

I was about to congratulate everyone that was able to get tickets, but then I read this post.

"Needless to say, I broke into tears many times during the night."

"They packed so many people onto the floor it was impossible for me to enjoy the show."

Instead it appears that a bunch of pussies showed up. Good setlist though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 12:17 PM

Grabbed a great rail spot in the balcony and loved the show. Crowd upstairs was great except for the one old blond dude in sunglasses (?) who kept yelling - not loud enough to be heard near the stage, mind you, but loud enough to be annoying to everyone around him. A voice so harsh I can only hope the throat cancer silences him soon. "YEH! YEH! YEH, Robbie! That's what I'm talkin' about." (He was talkin' about every other verse.) "That's what I'm talkin' about" was belched at least 6 times during 2 songs, each utterance more grating than the last. When it became clear that Mr. Plant wasn't going to sing 10 Led Zeppelin songs in a row, Macho Man got fed up and made his way downstairs, where he was later seen trying to take pictures with 2 younger women who wanted no part of it.

The show was great, though.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 12:29 PM

Robert Plant sucks major balls

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 12:40 PM

Great, great show, but it was way too packed, yes. Ignore 12:17 aka douchy Korn fan, who seems to think discomfort makes a great show. It was an Americana show, not Zeppelin in the 70s.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 12:47 PM

It is kind of crazy that Bowery has a soundboard up top, yet places one on the floor, along with all of the road cases at stage right for some shows, taking up prime viewing space for people. They also plop a bunch of the opening acts road cases in front of the stage, stage right. So if you are up front, you have to move out of the way while the roadies are dragging mics and instruments off stage and loading them into the cases. And you have to move so you don't get smashed in the head.
This isn't some crappy little club, it is supposed to be a major (albeit small) concert venue. It is ridiculous that they have it set up like that.

Posted by The Mighty KC | September 13, 2010 1:09 PM

I got there at 8, at which point the venue was 1/3 full.

I was surprised I could get so close - about 5 rows back.
I thought it would pack in more but there was tons of room where I was.

The oversold comments must be from ppl who haven't seen many shows recently. I've been to way more crowded shows at tons of venues, incl Bowery shows that were more crowded.

Sorry to hear it was tight -

Still, great show if you had space or not imo.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 1:14 PM

1:14 You got there at 8? How is that even possible. They weren't letting people in at 8. You had to wait on a line.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 1:19 PM

1:14 The show was ridiculously crowded. I seriously doubt you were there.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 1:21 PM

I was up front by the soundboard on the left side of the floor. I disagree with the "overpacked" comments.

Maybe there was a bottleneck towards the back but it didn't feel over-packed or claustrophobic at all. I was able to move around and even bring a round of drinks back up front.

Show was awesome. I was less than 10 feet from Robert Plant singing Houses of the Holy.

Posted by noamjamski | September 13, 2010 1:35 PM

I completely disagree with the people writing the show was not crowded, and I have to wonder if it's Bowery Presents people leaving these comments trying to do damage control.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 1:41 PM

12:29 I feel for you. There is one of those guys at every show by every artist of this vintage, and they always seem to be on a first-name basis with the person on stage. They are the worst.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 1:48 PM

I think the people that are complaining are just short people.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 1:58 PM

holy shit, I wish I had been there - these videos are great and he sounds FANTASTIC!!

you whiners should just not go to shows - you ruin it for the rest of us. what, you thought only a few hundred would show up for a fucking legend like Plant??

morons -

Posted by jt | September 13, 2010 2:23 PM

If you get packed in like sardines, make Caesar Salad.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 2:30 PM

I never knew they were playing Bowery,w as this show announced? I like that record by the way

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 2:33 PM

2:23, I'm glad you couldn't go because you are an idiot. It was a fantastic show, but people have a right to complain about overbooked venues.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 2:47 PM

This show was epic.
The rendition of Satisfied Mind made me teared up. Amazing stuff.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 2:56 PM

*tear

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 2:57 PM

Caesar salad is made with anchoives not sardines

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 3:08 PM

I got there at 9:30..cut my way off to the front and sang my ass off the entire time.hope I didn't annoy anyone.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 5:18 PM

I think the ticket prices range from like $15.00 to $25.00 at the bowery so when you see $60 you know that place was bulging at the seams. I don’t mean it to be salacious but that just a reality.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 5:24 PM

RE; 12:29
If you don’t like old timey douches than don’t go to a Robert Plant show, you thought the crowd was gonna be 22 year old girls. This guy bothered you that much you should have made your way to the floor.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 5:32 PM

22 year old girls at Robert Plant shows? sign me up.

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 7:01 PM

looks like they really went all out with the lighting- not!

Posted by Anonymous | September 13, 2010 9:56 PM

Why do people say "wait on line" when "wait in line" makes so much more sense?

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2010 2:03 PM

"Why do people say "wait on line" when "wait in line" makes so much more sense?"

Here in NY we say "on line". If you want to talk like you did back home in the midwest, I suggest you go back.

Posted by Anonymous | September 14, 2010 2:27 PM

Sad state of affairs I'd say. But I suppose that's fine if you can just go around bopping to and fro going to see curious little shows at curious little venues just for the hell of it. It's just another night in the life of the filthy rich. If you actually pay wage money for what is described here, you are pretty dag darn dumb! I guess the underbelly of social life is the last refuge of the sleepless weary. Group yawn!!! And to think Madison Square Garden is a short drive away....... see ya after yer nap Robert!

Posted by keep | September 14, 2010 9:34 PM

1:19 & 1:21 - both of my comments are absolutely true.

I got to the venue at 8 - a friend was holding a spot in line a little before the corner - took about 15 to be inside. Went straight to the floor & it was about 1/3 full as I said.

There was a lot of room around me the whole show. In fact, at one point I noticed a huge hole in the crowd & considered moving up to the left, but I had a great spot 4 ppl back in te center with no tall ppl blocking the view, so I stayed,

No, I don't work for the Bowery & yes, I've seen way more crowded shows there & at many other venues in the city.

Sorry about all the ppl who got uncomfortable...

Posted by Anonymous | September 16, 2010 2:42 AM

Seriously, when was this show announced (or was it at all)? I can't fathom that I live in NYC and only heard about this show nearly a week later. Kudos to those who were able to attend.

Posted by SpiderWisdom | September 18, 2010 11:32 PM

The show was announced on BV on September 3rd, the day before tickets went on sale.

Posted by Anonymous | September 21, 2010 2:22 PM

Robert Plant is a limp old dick...

Posted by Paulie | April 28, 2011 3:44 PM

Just experience the best merlefest with Robert Plant. Holy God! Seeds of Joy. The Brothers and Sisters with silver hair standing up cheering, singing, crying tears of Joy. Gods Words coming through the anoited musicians. Peace through music!

Posted by Thomas O'Brien | May 7, 2011 8:17 PM