Posted in music | pictures on October 27, 2010

photos by Keith Marlowe

Bad Religion

In his book Anarchy Evolution: Faith, Science, and Bad Religion in a World Without God, Greg Graffin says, "For me, the existence or nonexistence of God is a non-issue."

He's a naturalist, the lead singer of the punk rock band Bad Religion.

The notorious punk riot at the El Portal Theater in Los Angles on December 29, 1990 made his band infamous... but Graffin wasn't involved in it.

He still tours internationally with his band, whose new album The Dissent of Man celebrates 30 years of Bad Religion.

Graffin also has a PhD in zoology from Cornell. When he is not on stage, he teaches evolution at UCLA. -[CNN]

Author Greg Graffin and his band Bad Religion are in the midst of celebrating 30 years with 3 special shows at Irving Plaza in NYC. The third and final date is tonight (10/27). Off With Their Heads and Aggrolites are the openers at all three. More dates, including the now Devo-less Fun Fun Fun Fest, HERE.

The first NYC show was on 10/20, during CMJ. At that show they explored early material. The second show was last night (10/26). Pictures from the first show adorn this post. They continue, with both setlists, below...

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Aggrolites

Bad Religion

Bad Religion Concert at Irving Plaza, New York, NY, USA Setlist on October 20, 2010
Do What You Want
You
American Jesus
Encore:
Infected
Los Angeles is Burning
Sorrow

Bad Religion Concert at Irving Plaza, New York, NY, USA Setlist on October 26, 2010
Gray Race
Generator
Infected
Encore:
American Jesus
Fuck Armageddon...This is Hell
Sorrow

Bad Religion... Celebrating 30 years of hardcore hummus eating.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:03 PM

Go away you annoying little twat.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:09 PM

holly hummus what a setlist....

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:11 PM

wow look at all those bros. i knew the BR crowd was bad but not THAT bad...jesus. what a shitshow. dudes throwing devil horns with their shirts off? fucking LOLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!! WOW!

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:14 PM

I only went to night 2 and I can say that will be without a doubt the last time I ever go to a Bad Religion show. I saw them last at CBGBs in '96 when they did the small club tour here. Last night they seemed so bored with the music. Brian Baker's guitar work SUCKS in that band. He's such a whack MFer musically. He should join a glam/hair metal cover band or call KIX when they reform. The drummer is another weak leak in the chain. He's a solid drummer but not appropriate for them. Those two things plus the fact that BR hasn't done anything good in 17 years and you get a band of aging punks who are still in it for the money. Think the Rolling Stones of punk.

Sad.

Posted by wingwalker77 | October 27, 2010 4:16 PM

yes, brian baker does indeed blow donkey balls. KIX!!! haha, thats hilarious dude. this show looks so overwhelmingly awful it is just unreal. if only another riot would happen...wow.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:18 PM

i went the first night and it was f*ckin great.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:23 PM

i hate hummus guy, but there's something very amusing about "holly hummus what a setlist...."

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:25 PM

i guarantee you someone farted in THAT pit

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:25 PM

What a Sausage Fest. I don't care what the setlist was, you couldn't force me to be surrounded by those Douchebags!

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:29 PM

I went last night when they focused on their Nineties albums, so the set list was almost completely different (although interestingly they did the same three songs from the new Dissent Of Man.)

I had a couple of friends walk out after four songs and another who didn't like the song selection, the sound, or the performance, so not everybody was happy. But I had a great time. I thought the band look energized and enthusiastic, and sounded great. Even if he does look like a middle-aged CEO in a polo shirt, I can't think of a better frontman in rock today than Greg Graffin.

Posted by Jim Testa | October 27, 2010 4:30 PM

Was this show no girls allowed? It looks like a meeting of the He-Men Women-Haters Club!

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:35 PM

bad dad

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:35 PM

that ain't just any polo, it's a fred perry. and we all know how cool a fred perry makes you when you're NOT a skinhead

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:41 PM

you could not pay me to go this.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 4:51 PM

To all of those who say they will never be there, your absence is appreciated

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 5:07 PM

the 90's BR had some fine moments - in fact every album from 90 to 96 is a damn good to great one. But it is interesting to see that in the second night's setlist, there is a clear drop in excitement re. the song selection when you compare it to the first night's set.
A regular set that blends the eras works best for this later stuff, but the 80's material seems to always work regardless, and they still do the songs well from the early days, albeit a bit differently.
(they have to - look at YouTube clips from 1980 - GG was 15!)

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 5:28 PM

I don't think I've ever met a girl who likes Bad Religion come to think of it. And to the person who was bitching about devil horns and shirtless dudes, have you ever heard of a little thing called ROCK MUSIC?!? You see, ROCK MUSIC is raw and emotional and doesn't give a fuck what you think is cool. It inspires such tributes as devil horns, fist pumping, crowd surfing, head banging, pogoing and yes, sometimes un-shirting what it doesn't inspire is arm folding, thick rimmed glasses wearing, twittering, text message sending, ironic t-shirt wearing and beard stroking (nothing against beards! I have one.) So everything you think Is ROCK MUSIC Is not. Sorry to inform you. I also am in no way sticking up for Bad Religion or their fans, just saying that you look stupid at concerts too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 5:31 PM

Billy Rusne rip:met Billy at a Earlimart show 2007, get this in Philly!!.recall his everywhere methed out hyper pesonna but very cool! Was one dinasour me younger n look it talking to the older looking dinasour guy he knew all the bands I could name n that is not so easy for anyone! He was one if the few if us left , old school, still hip n never growing up! Glad we met!! Rock on dude! Peace to his memory n spirit
still remember that weird night !
Jt

Posted by Jimitits | October 27, 2010 6:02 PM

looks like everyone in the above photos is having a blast. i did too. both nights were great, 1st night was better i thought.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 6:03 PM

Hey wingwalker, I laugh at you blowing your money and having a shitty time. Youre a dunce. Last night's show was billed as "playing songs from Against the Grain through No Substance". So if you dont think theyve done anything good in 17 years, why would you go? Idiocy.

And Brian Baker is a shitty guitarist? This shows how you know nothing about punk. The guy is in not only one of the greatest punk bands of all time, Bad Religion, but he was also in Minor Threat, arguably the most influential hardcore band of all time. I dont have the time to address all the idiotic statements made on this article. I'll be having fun tonight at the 3rd and final NY show tonight.

Have fun at home, keyboard warriors.

Posted by GregBX | October 27, 2010 6:11 PM

this is simply a great band - so it is all relative.

but for them, certain things come into play affecting the overall quality of the shows. One, is the plain fact that Brett Gurewitz is not onstage. The songwriting equilibrium of the 00's albums was somewhat restored, especially on Process of Belief which was as good as any of the best albums from the prior decades, but live it is still the band of the late 90's, with Brian Baker on lead. BB just doesn't have the soul and grit of BG.
And while on record Brooks Wackerman has proven to be the best drummer they've had - he only works best on the music that he created; as someone posted earlier, his virtuosic style doesn't always suit the older material. Bring back Finestone!
(anyone know how Schayer is doing? He had to retire from drumming due to an arm condition. I hope he's found a way to live otherwise.)

was this too earnest? sorry. uh, Hummus.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 6:13 PM

I love the fills that Brooks adds to the old songs. Finestone even admitted that he's a shitty drummer, so unless he has sharpened his skills since 22 years ago, I dont see the point of having him

I'll admit when they came out onstage last week and I saw Brett wasnt there, I was really disappointed. I know hes busy with his label and all and thats why he doesnt really tour with them anymore, but I thought he'd make it out for the 30th anniversary.

And as for the people noticing how many guys were there. We dont go to shows to pick up coked-up chicks, so the absence of women isnt exactly alarming. And there are many female BR fans, they just arent in the pit and as a result, not in these pictures.

Posted by GregBX | October 27, 2010 6:23 PM

Wackerman is the best player, but Finestone had the loose feel, which fit the early material. Schayer was in some ways the best purely punk drummer, but there was something a bit stiff about him (good for some punk) - look at the clips, rather rigid at times.
Brooks swings, which suits PoB material, and his drumming on the new album is stellar, particularly on the song Avalon, where the whole band is at its best all around.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 6:44 PM

Oh my god, I agree with those folks saying that this show looks like a total cluster. What a bunch of dudes in need of anger management or a blankie & juice.

And I swear I've seen that goon with the tree tattoo on his back in pictures somewhere before.

Unreal!

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 7:56 PM

Shirtless dude in this one looks like the biggest fool: http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/music/badreligion/irvingplaza/20.jpg

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 7:58 PM

OH MY GOD WHAT A BUNCH OF CHAVS

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 8:00 PM

no "Faith in God"? The fuck.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 8:16 PM

Wait. Brett isn't playing with them? LOL. Double fail. Like everyone I dug this band hard for two years in high school so the nostalgia of playing old stuff could be a draw. But a massive bro fest at Irving Plaza with no Brett? Damn son, even if you're a fan you wouldn't show. ESPECIALLY if you're a fan.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 8:17 PM

In some ways, tonight's show fits this version of the band....that is, the music they've made in the past ten years and the new album.
It is a good record too. Not as great as Process, but half of it is.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 8:40 PM

people here are just ignorant about punk shows. All punk shows (excluding the mainstream "pop punk" like blink 182 or green day) have predominantly male audiences (i would estimate around 80 percent?). That's not a bad religion phenomenon. That's the way it is. If you think females are greatly represented in the audience you probably haven't gone to many punk shows.

I didn't go to the oct 20 show in the pictures so i can't speak for it. The pictures of the pit certainly don't show females but that may be because they don't want shirtless, sweaty, overweight guys breaking their faces. I went last night and there were females. If I had to estimate I would say they made up 15-20 percent of the audience. And that's the norm for punk shows.

Posted by Anonymous | October 27, 2010 9:47 PM

Killer Show on the 27th -- Thanks!!! Yes, there were women in the audience. I brought one. We saw others. No, the guitar work was not subpar metal. It kicked ass. No, the drummer is not underwhelming, he too was phenomenal. Greg was amazing and powerful. The crew at the bar and door and merch counter was also exceptionally kind and very accomodating. What more can I say? Great night out.

Posted by fan | October 28, 2010 7:05 AM

Aw, the poor, poor hipsters don't like Bad Religion. What a fucking shocker.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 11:19 AM

Yeah, I had great time at the 2nd and 3rd show. The band sounded great both nights. It's amazing who ignorant some of the comments are. I'd like to see one of those idiots try to get up there and play drums like that for an hour and a half! Unbelievably stamina. Anyway, I really enjoyed myself. Great live band.

Posted by Howard F | October 28, 2010 11:35 AM

oh come on... why rain on the parade of a bunch of dudes having a good time. In these tough times, I think it's nice to see people have fun.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 12:11 PM

Hey 8:17, you never were a fan so kindly shut the fuck up. The two years you listened to them in high school were purely out of rebellion and you thought mommy and daddy would get mad at you for listening to a band with a crossbuster logo, and THAT'S what made them cool to you, isnt it?

Every real BR fan in NY and the surrounding area came out to these 3 shows, and even some people from overseas. You never liked punk, so stop posing. Isn't Die Antwoord playing again soon? They may be more your speed, you dullard.

Posted by GregBX | October 28, 2010 1:05 PM

C H A V S

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 1:30 PM

@ GregBx: I got on the list so no money spent. Just a big waste of my time is all.

I know what the night was billed at. I was hoping for more of the first half of the 90s.

Brian Baker can play but sucks in Bad Religion. Hence my comment on him joining KIX. Learn how to interpret the written language. Oh, and Baker played BASS in Minor Threat and had nothing to do with writing those songs, ya fucktard.

Posted by wingwalker77 | October 28, 2010 5:29 PM

5:29 confirmed my C H A V S comment

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 6:09 PM

Holy shit we are all loosers for arguing on here. I'm gonna go play my PS3.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 6:28 PM

stamina does not make a good drummer. good playing does. BW is a great drummer, no doubt, but people have a point if they think that his particular style of playing might not fit some of the early stuff as much. Here it is a question of style, not whether he's good or not, because technically he's great. And has stamina....
He sounds best on the stuff he recorded and great on some of the old tunes, but not all - some of them he plays too heavy-handedly.

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 7:04 PM

anyone have a set list for 10/27?

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 7:52 PM

saw a set list for the 27th - makes a strong case for the third night being in some ways the most consistently great - the cream of the 2000-2010 albums is on it - and this is the band line-up that made them. Oddly the 90's setlist seems weakest, though some of the best albums are from that time. The choices seemed a bit inconsistent for night 2, whereas the 80's and 00's nights were full throttle the whole time. The first three tunes of the 27th were the first three off PoB!

Posted by Anonymous | October 28, 2010 11:07 PM

OK, I was at all 3 shows and yes, there were girls there. They were further back, where I was :), and upstairs. Most girls don't slam dance. As far as the shows, I enjoyed them all. They delivered what was promised. Each night was dedicated to songs from albums in one decade (80's, 90's and 2k) with some new ones thrown in. Each show was different. As far as the "assholes" up front, well, it's punk show. Guys go to them to mosh/go nuts. It adds to the fun.
As far as Greg looking like a CEO, OK, so he's lost hair, so what. Greg Hetson used to have long hair. That's what punk is about. Not conforming. In fact, that's what Bad Religion is about. Yes, he's a bit of a rock star but after speaking with him a few times he's intelligent and humble. As far as doing it for the money, he doesn't have too.
Brian Baker is a good guitar player and an important figure in punk rock.
If you went to any of the shows and were disappointed with the set, you're an idiot because they announced what each night was about. 3 shows celebrating 30 years. That's a lot of material to choose from and I think they did a good job of choosing songs. When BR is gone many of you are going to regret it. There are few great bands out there and BR is one of them.

Posted by BRfanNYC | November 7, 2010 1:42 AM

Jeremiah Johnson: The Injuns put you here?
Del Gue: T'weren't Mormons.

Posted by Jerry | December 21, 2010 9:01 AM

good luck Mr.

Posted by stock market ticker | May 22, 2011 2:48 AM

Bad Religion is the punk rock version of Huey Lewis and the News. Fucking horrible.

Posted by Crosseyed Sniper | May 22, 2011 4:48 AM