Posted in To Do | music on October 23, 2010

by Bill Pearis

Jamie Lidell @ MHOW in June (more by Leia Jospe)
Jamie Lidell

Final day. Are you tired yet, or just getting started? I am the former, but there is lots of great bands and shows to be excited about. I'll rest tomorrow. (Actually I can't but maybe Monday.) Forgive me if I've left out anything obvious and major...I'm a little tired. OK, let's do this...

Today is our second day party at Public Assembly, with Marnie Stern, Jamie Lidell, Wild Nothing Titus Andronicus, No Joy, Ted Leo, Crayon Fields, Big Freedia, Reggie Watts and lots more. Show up early for free EarPeace earplugs, food, Firefly Vodka, Magic Hat, Raw Revolution bars, and other goodies (and of course the bands). I'm biased, I know, but this line-up is seriously awesome. FREE. Evan Voytas kicks things off at 12:15. It is 21+.

Bruar Falls has an all-day extravaganza that kicks off at 2:20PM (we'll see) with Shrag who were just so good yesterday at our day show. Demand they play "Habit Creep." Also playing in the afternoon portion of the programming: Sweet Bulbs, Dead Gaze, Toronto's Little Girls (I didn't know they were in town!), Mathmagic, and Flight. $10 without CMJ badge, but it's good for the night portion too which is pretty stellar -- see the flyer at the bottom of this post for lineup and set times.

On Ludlow, Bowery Presents is having a day party at Pianos. The Phantom Band, who were phenomenal yesterday at our day party, play here. I personally wouldn't begrudge you missing our party to see them. Also playing: Oberhofer, Generationals, Morning Teleportation (who play this show late, and our show early) and more. FREE. Bands start at noon.

Moving down the street, Music Snobbery is throwing a day party at the Living Room with fantastic locals North Highlands, Dominant Legs, Sherlock's Daughter, Alessi's Ark and more. FREE, and bands start at 2:30PM.

And at The Delancey, I Rock I Roll and Nachos NY are teaming for an afternoon full of 13 bands across three floors, including Ravens & Chimes, Savoir Adore, Pretty & Nice, and Young the Giant. Bands start at noon. FREE.

The WFMU Record Fair is also underway.

NIGHTTIME stuff HERE. DAYTIME flyers and setlists below...

flyer

The date: Saturday, October 23rd, 2010
The time: noon-6pm
The place: Public Assembly (70 North 6th St)
the bands:

STAGE 1
12:00 Morning Teleportation
01:00 Ted Leo (solo)
01:45 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr.
02:30 Wild Nothing

05:05 Marnie Stern

flyer

Bowery Presents party

flyer

I Rock I Roll/Nachos NY Day Party at The Delancey
Downstairs:
Philadelphia Grand Jury (4:15)
Young The Giant (3:30)
Red Wire Black Wire (2:45)
Pretty & Nice (2:00)
Marie Stella (1:15)
New Numbers (12:30)

Middle Floor:
Dinowalrus (5 pm)
Milagres (4pm)
MillionYoung (3pm)
Arpline (2pm)
Funeral Party (1pm)

Upstairs:
Miracles of Modern Science (4:15)
Savoir Adore (3:30)

Alaskas - 9:45 pm
Woven Bones - 9:15 pm
Ballerina - 8:45 pm
+Crocodiles DJs
Official Impose + Panache Booking Afterparty 1-4am
Secret Special Guests 2-4 am

Last day of in-stores at 87 Guernsey St. Secret Colors, Animal Hospital, and Viernes. Kicking off around 3:15.
-Co-Op 87

Posted by Co-Op 87 | October 23, 2010 10:28 AM

set times for pianos?

Posted by Anonymous | October 23, 2010 10:39 AM

Posted by brooklynvegan | October 23, 2010 10:51 AM

Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. kicked ass, never even heard them before but they show some serious promise.

Posted by Minus | October 23, 2010 5:40 PM

Titus was so great! Why did you force them to stop after only 3 songs!?!

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2010 3:48 PM

It did seem as if Titus was cut shorter than some of the other bands. That was a drag - they are really amazing - but certainly hard to complain about the event as a whole. Great day, thanks. Good space too.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2010 4:34 PM

Titus for only 3 songs was blueballs of CMJ

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2010 8:36 PM

"Titus was so great! Why did you force them to stop after only 3 songs!?!"

We didn't cut Titus short. I honestly don't know what exactly happened and I was as disappointed as anyone.

Our production manager said they were allowed to play longer, but they just stopped. One person told me that the sound guy motioned to the band to stop. He might have been confused. Someone else said the band got confused. Either way, I agree. I felt like running through the crowd to tell someone they should still keep playing, but it was too packed for me to really go anywhere.

That said, Titus's short set aside, we managed to pack 16 bands into 6 hours and always ran exactly on time from beginning to end. So all in all it was a huge success.

sorry and thanks

Posted by brooklynvegan | October 24, 2010 8:49 PM

"Why did you force them to stop after only 3 songs!?!"

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2010 9:33 PM

"Funny how a band plays an abbreviated set and you immediately think they were 'forced' to stop."

Patrick asked if they could play for 12 more minutes, I guess to play Battle of Hampton Roads....so I for one didn't get the impression that they just decided they didn't want to play anymore.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2010 10:50 PM

^^After he asked, there was a voice from the sound board. I couldn't make out what he said, but the Titus guy was like, "Oh, we're finished?" and was like, sorry. And then they started playing the between-set music. Didn't seem to me like they wanted to stop.

Posted by Anonymous | October 24, 2010 11:26 PM

I play in Titus Andronicus, and the reason why we played for such a short time was as follows. When we got to the show, the people in charge told us not to bring any amplifiers or drums or anything in from our van, that they would have everything we needed already in there (the idea being that if all the bands used the same amps/drums/etc, then it would be faster changeover between the sets), but then when we got up on stage to set up, we saw that there were only two guitar amps rather than the three we usually always need to operate, so we had to run to the van (which was parked far away by this point) and get another amp and schlep it back to the concert. Once it finally arrived, we got to playing our music, but mid-way through what we thought was going to be a twenty-five minute set, I checked with the guy doing the sound to see how much time we had left and he told us that we had none and that we had to stop playing. I guess we were pretty behind schedule. Seeing no sense in throwing a fit about it, we did stop, as we were instructed to do. So if yr wondering where we "got the idea" that we should stop, it was from the soundman, who told us to, "forced" us to, if you will. Yes, that's right - the administration's idea, not ours.

P.S. Other than that, the show was sick - especially Reggie Watts.

Posted by Patrick | October 25, 2010 1:07 AM

All a big misunderstanding. Bummer. I would like bv to make it up to me by getting me drunk for free again.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 12:48 PM

Yeah no one to blame I guess, but that being said it was a really great three songs.

Posted by Anonymous | October 25, 2010 8:43 PM