Posted in music | pictures on October 4, 2010

photos by Leia Jospe

Foals

Still filled with complex interplay between the band, Foals have loosened up considerably, making room for heart and soul. Bigger, better, even more danceable. The first single, "Spanish Sahara," was featured prominently in the Entourage Season 7 trailer which ran for like two months on HBO, which shoulda tipped me off, but it didn't seem like anyone I knew was into the record.

Well, people are indeed into Foals, it's just not the crowd I was expecting. Foals sold out Bowery and MHoW and, given what I saw last night, they'll be playing Terminal 5 the next time they hit NYC. The band are certainly ready for bigger venues. Philippakis now faces the audience and makes jokes with the crowd. The band are still shit hot and tight as the Queen's posterior. The songs from TLF sound fantastic, and the Antidotes material (and early singles) sounded better. I woulda liked a few more from the new album (no "This Orient" or "Black Gold"), but Foals have become a live force.

Yannis still likes leaping off stage by the way. During "Electric Bloom," after climbing a set of speakers and nearly falling off, Philippakis took a FLYING leap into the audience. The whole roam let out a giant "WHOA!" as he flew what seemed to me a good 15 feet out. The crowd caught him. The dude is a little crazy.

I think the crowd kind of took this to be an invitation to be just as crazy as him. The final song of the night, "Two Steps, Twice," a couple girls managed to get on stage and started dancing. This led to a full-on stage invasion with [a bunch of] girls dancing plus a few bros who grabbed the mike and sang along. Bonkers. -[SoundBites]

That's a review is of the Music Hall of Williamsburg show which is also the show pictured in this post. Girl In a Coma opened. It was the second of two NYC shows for Foals (they played Bowery Ballroom on 10/1 with Esben & The Witch). More pictures and some videos below...

Girl In A Coma

Girl In A Coma

Girl In A Coma

Girl In A Coma

Girl In A Coma

Girl In A Coma

Girl In A Coma

Girl In A Coma

Foals Brooklyn 10/2/10

"Spanish Sahara" live by Foals at MHOW in New York

sick show! that one girl singing gave me the douche chills. a terminal 5 show would be amazing.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 12:15 AM

You've just seen their show at Music Hall of Williamsburg and you think a Terminal 5 show would be amazing?! It must be because of deaf and ignorant people like you why that shithole of a venue is still in business. I bet you would also like it if they have another show afterwards with completely distorted sound and dedicated to Celine Dion covers.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 2:06 AM

and it must be because of people like you why i don't like to go to shows anymore. if i happen to really like a band, i don't tend to care about the location. do us all favor and stay home from now on and stick to your usual hummus posts. idiot.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 2:21 AM

If you don't like to go to shows anymore, you stay the fuck home. I don't go to Terminal 5, yet I manage to see every band/musician I'd like to see that might also be booked there. I'll leave the T5 scene to you and your friends. You're the one who mentioned the h-word by the way.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 3:17 AM

...and you managed to not take a picture of the stage dive, lame

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 6:57 AM

Foals were one of the best live bands I've seen in ages... Hope the next show isn't at T5 because otherwise I'm there...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 7:28 AM

Really cool pics!!!! Love it! so amazing!

Posted by Carla Compra Ropa | October 5, 2010 7:30 AM

I predict Foal's will get more popular...I can see them playing Hammerstein in not too long or at least sell out Webster or Irving.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 8:16 AM

all shows now go directly to terminal 5 from bowery & mhow.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 8:27 AM

Please no Terminal 5. Who says that? Have you ever been there?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 8:31 AM

shows were insane, unfortunately next time they come around theres zero chance they do bowery or MHOW do to popularity, looks like T5 it is....WeAk

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 8:33 AM

What exactly is so bad about T5? I don't usually go to big venue shows, but I'm going to GBV there. Is there any spot there where the sound is okay?

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 8:41 AM

Yeah the balcony is fine..get there early to get a spot...or you can aim for first 3 rows....I actually like the Balcony at T5....the sound has improved vastly since its opening. Most people complaining probably went there once when it opened...it has changed drastically since then and in the last few months the sound has been pretty good. Eels sounded wonderful last week!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 9:00 AM

Theres a few good spots in t5 but for sold out shows its a disaster and sight lines are sh*t. The place is an acoustics nightmare so u have to move around till it doesnt sound like garbage

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 9:26 AM

^ get there early and problem is solved!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 9:37 AM

saw Foals at Bowery in 2009 and they were terrible.

"oiy we luv americaaaah. we eight at Denny's! your finest of culinary institutions, twats"

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 9:39 AM

They were so cool, much better now than before when it was just douchers who were there because of publicity..........

I agree, Williamsburg shows are awesome, but a big, nice comfy T5 show would be fucking mind-blowing!!! Chillin on the roof, enjoying some Asia Dogs, sippin' a Four Loko, touchin' my girl, playin' on my iPhone......nothin' better!!!!!!!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 9:54 AM

anon 9:39, dont worry-beach house will come around again and you can go rage to them-sukadik

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 10:12 AM

stopped reading at "tight as the Queen's posterior"

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 10:27 AM

Wow, GIAC finally made BV. Oh and Nina, marry me already!

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 10:28 AM

These dudes were awful at Maxwell's a few years back

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 11:00 AM

I don't get the hate for T5. Besides being hot as fuck in about 20 mins after the show starts and having some bad sight lines, its not terrible. I've never heard an issue with sound in about ten shows I've seen there. Its not the greatest, but not bad. Hell, I've heard worse sound under the balcony at Beacon.

I think most of you people on here just go see shitty bands that rely on distortion to cover their lack of ability to play guitar, so it just gets muddy from all the shittiness.

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 1:03 PM

these "dudes" were never awful

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 2:40 PM

anon 11:00 - i was at that maxwell's show and it was awful - but i'd seen them before and they were awesome so i went to mhow to give them another chance and it was great again. i think the maxwell's show just happened to be a crappy gig...

Posted by Anonymous | October 5, 2010 4:44 PM

Since I'm still obsessed with re-living this MHoW show, I owe you a huge thanks for this column. F*cking love it. That was such a fun night, and I think Foals might very well realize that it's more important to play multiple nights at MHoW than play one night at bad-line-of-sight-and-too-big-for-gen-admission T5. Plus, they admittedly love Williamsburg, doubt they love the area T5 is in. I certainly don't.

Posted by sparrow | October 8, 2010 3:26 PM